[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, fuzzylogic said:

still get the same results even with a new install (trying to delete snapshots) 

Spoiler

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 19.40.24.png

Screenshot 2032-09-06 at 02.21.32.png

You need to perform the commands in my guide from terminal, booted into Big_Sur Recovery or Installer USB.

From your screenshots, it is obvious that you are booted into the completed Big_Sur volume, not the Recovery/Installer terminal which has a bash prompt (also in Recovery, you are automatically the admin so no need for sudo)...

-bash-3.2#

PS Extra Info

As reported by @AppleBreak and confirmed by @ameenjuz, the "UpdateOptions.plist method" to prevent sealing of the Big_Sur volume has the unfortunate side-effect of later preventing the deletion of APFS snapshots from Recovery/Installer USB, throwing out "Operation not permitted" and "Insufficient privileges" errors.  Therefore if you want to prevent volume sealing and allowing access to Big_Sur volume from older macOS, I recommend using @ASentientBot's hax2 patched installer or interrupting phase3 installation method.

Edited by fusion71au
Extra info
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

You need to perform the commands in my guide from terminal, booted into Big_Sur Recovery or Installer USB.

From your screenshots, it is obvious that you are booted into the completed Big_Sur volume,  not the Recovery/Installer terminal which has a bash prompt (also in Recovery, you are automatically the admin so no need for sudo)...

-bash-3.2#

I actually booted from my usb flash drive into big sur, even when done in recovery I still get the same result, I will post to show you in recovery exactly the same outcome, thank you for responding

4 minutes ago, fuzzylogic said:

I actually booted from my usb flash drive into big sur, even when done in recovery I still get the same result, I will post to show you in recovery exactly the same outcome, thank you for responding

I booted into installer to run terminal from recovery. I had no issues. For me the surprise was I didn't even need to disable CSR

1 hour ago, sonicthehedgehog2 said:

I booted into installer to run terminal from recovery. I had no issues. For me the surprise was I didn't even need to disable CSR

hurray the nutter did it, I deleted the xxxsnapshot!! pulls shirt over my head and crashes into the goal post!! rofl:hysterical:

6 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

This is third time you ask me this! On SAME disk. Not very polite to don't believe me and ask for print screen but here you have.
Give me also your open core EFI to see how you managed to have mic after wake.

Arhivă.zip

Sorry I didn't read when you wrote that you have installed on single disk, with your efi I had panic when I boot Big Sur, maybe for different cpu and display, I've i5 3230m and display 1080p, I've to fix this issue.

Regarding Multiboot on my laptop with your efi booting only with OpenCore bootloader, Ubuntu boot correctly but Windows 10 crash, I've try to format my disk and start from scratch, can you explain if you have installed before Big Sur or Windows 10.

I attach my efi folder.

HP4540s 1080p i53230m.zip

7 hours ago, fusion71au said:

From your screenshots, it is obvious that you are booted into the completed Big_Sur volume, not the Recovery/Installer terminal which has a bash prompt (also in Recovery, you are automatically the admin so no need for sudo)...

is there a way to avoid sealing partition?

old way do not work using interupting thirth phase of installation

3 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

is there a way to avoid sealing partition?

old way do not work using interupting thirth phase of installation

:whistle:

10 hours ago, fusion71au said:

PS Extra Info

Therefore if you want to prevent volume sealing and allowing access to Big_Sur volume from older macOS, I recommend using @ASentientBot's hax2 patched installer...

1.  Create Big_Sur Installer USB with createinstallmedia method
2.  Boot to Installer USB, open Terminal to disable SIP & then set NVRAM boot-args

csrutil disable
csrutil authenticated-root disable
nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1"
reboot

3.  Download and extract Hax2.app + Source into your home folder
4.  With your Big_Sur Installer USB plugged in or alternatively, with "Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app" in /Applications, run Hax2.app by double clicking on it.  If you did everything correctly, you should not see any errors and the Installer app should automatically open --->  choose target partition to install...installation proceeds after reboot...

Spoiler

1508202745_Big_Sur5Hax2Installerpatch.thumb.png.c8f9eef34fede3028d46a64e7f7e8eba.png

5.  After installation, you should be able to access the Big_Sur volume from older macOS eg Mojave...

Spoiler

1110620288_Big_Sur5unsealedrootvolumeaccessedfromMojave.thumb.png.521124480e589e8c171ad32225a30fc9.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hi all,

Today I'm at work and her I have an Mac mini 2018, and after the Beta 4, it says that have an update and when I try to install it again... it don't install. How do I solve this?

Thanks in Advance ...

12 hours ago, fusion71au said:

:whistle:

1.  Create Big_Sur Installer USB with createinstallmedia method
2.  Boot to Installer USB, open Terminal to disable SIP & then set NVRAM boot-args

csrutil disable
csrutil authenticated-root disable
nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1"
reboot

3.  Download and extract Hax2.app + Source into your home folder
4.  With your Big_Sur Installer USB plugged in or alternatively, with "Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app" in /Applications, run Hax2.app by double clicking on it.  If you did everything correctly, you should not see any errors and the Installer app should automatically open --->  choose target partition to install...installation proceeds after reboot...

Reveal hidden contents

1508202745_Big_Sur5Hax2Installerpatch.thumb.png.c8f9eef34fede3028d46a64e7f7e8eba.png

5.  After installation, you should be able to access the Big_Sur volume from older macOS eg Mojave...

Reveal hidden contents

1110620288_Big_Sur5unsealedrootvolumeaccessedfromMojave.thumb.png.521124480e589e8c171ad32225a30fc9.png

@fusion71au Can you send me please a download Link for Hax2.app

Edited by AlfredoM

1 hour ago, iCanaro said:

hax2

@iCanaro and @Max.1974 Thank you my Friend.. ist this from 25.07.2020 not to old ? i hav read exist a Hax3.app ?

I successfully removed the snapshot from my clean reinstallation of Big Sur Beta5 following the instructions from @fusion71au 

and now I have full write access to this partition. Is it now possible to replicate the Big Sur Beta5 with the Disk Utility and then

restore the image to another partition? and does the removed snapshot stay away?
or is the OS sealed again?

Edited by AlfredoM
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, AlfredoM said:

this from 25.07.2020 not to old ? i hav read exist a Hax3.app ?

Is it now possible to replicate the Big Sur Beta5 with the Disk Utility and then

restore the image to another partition?

Hax2 from the provided MacRumors link still works for latest Big Sur Beta 5 to prevent APFS volume sealing (see screenshot from earlier post :)).

Hax3 was designed for a different purpose - to bypass firmware checks so that old macs ("pre High Sierra compatible") with old firmware could still install Big Sur.  Haven't tested it myself to see if it also prevents APFS sealingEdit - Hax3 also results in unsealed Big Sur volume.

AFAIK, you can't clone Big Sur with Disk Utility (I tried a while back but boot failed.  In contrast, you can clone Catalina successfully with DU from Installer USB).  Have to do sector by sector disk clone eg with dd.

Edited by fusion71au
Confirm both Hax2 & Hax3 prevent volume sealing.
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, AlfredoM said:

R-Disk is only for Windoof

Negative! you're not up to date, R-Drive Image clones bits for macOS bits, so well, that if you start OC or Clover with both partitions connected, it doesn't know which one to start by being identical and it only shows you one

personally tested, and not only me

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

you can do it even like this... I use a LivePE
important is to use latest release of R-Drive Image

Yes, I have just loaded the latest version of R-Drive Image for Windows, I have installed Windows 10 on a different SSD so no problem.

I also installed the Paragon APFS in Windows10. I will then test it out and report tonight.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, fusion71au said:

AFAIK, you can't clone Big Sur with Disk Utility (I tried a while back but boot failed...

Actually it seems you can clone an unsealed Installed Big_Sur with beta5 DU (tested in a Virtual Machine) :).

Prerequisites
1.  Unsealed Big_Sur beta5 installation (Hax2 method) with APFS snapshots removed after the installation Edit - Cloning proceeds OK, even with snapshots still present in original source
2.  Big_Sur Beta5 Installer USB made with createinstallmedia
3.  Target HD/SSD the same size or larger than HD with Source Big_Sur Beta5 installation

Procedure
1.  Boot to Big_Sur Beta5 Installer USB and open Disk Utility

Spoiler

Clone1.png.65d77f0a382f515bcd0bf2e4f40648e4.pngClone2.thumb.png.ebe5d4293315c41001abda0552ff0800.png

2.  Erase target HD, formatted as GUID, APFS filesystem.  In this example, I named it "macOS", while the source installation was "Big_Sur"

Spoiler

Clone3.png.f6c15d90ba7c46a06fcd392e62ed9250.png

3.  On the LHS list pane, click on the macOS clone volume.  Click on Restore button on DU menu bar, choose source Big_Sur in "Restore from", then click Restore

Spoiler

Clone4.png.1491e4b01ac3d96fdddcf452767bed6e.png

4. After this first phase, the Big_Sur system volume will have been restored but not yet Big_Sur - Data.  On the LHS list pane, click on the Big_Sur -Data volume of the clone (will be empty), then click the Restore button on DU menu bar.  This time, choose source Big_Sur - Data in "Restore from", then click Restore

Spoiler

Clone5.thumb.png.847f209777335d92f49aaef024e799a6.pngClone6.png.512de85e38e90709e4a8048d4534d0a6.png

5.  After restoring both the System and Data volumes to the clone, shut down the system.  Remove the original Big_Sur system HD (and also the Installer USB), then reboot the system to the Clone HD.

Note: during the clone process, the "Update" volume was not recreated on the Clone but a "live" snapshot was.  The cloned APFS filesystem was still unsealed and accessible from Mojave...

Spoiler

1414281292_ClonedB5.thumb.png.f8da38c4758f7a02e81fb9765646d93f.png1738470802_Clone8fromMojave.thumb.png.0421bb35cd149d6066d16ef2728667bf.png

5 hours ago, d5aqoep said:

@fusion71au

Does Big Sur Beta update correctly with built in updater to next beta after you remove snapshots and have unsealed volume?

Sealing and snapshots are related (they both occur during the third installation phase) but are separate processes. 

The default vanilla installation results in a sealed volume and creates a single APFS snapshot ---> OTA automatic updates complete normally.  However, it is also possible to manually remove the snapshot post install ---> sealed volume with no snapshots.  IIRC, if you manually remove all your APFS snapshots, the builtin OTA software update is still offered but the upgrade process fails later on with some error. 

An unsealed APFS volume allows older macOS to access it but can still have APFS snapshots associated with it eg after install with Hax2 method, an APFS snapshot still remains (which can similarly be removed later on, manually).  I'm not sure whether sealing by itself affects OTA automatic updates of Big Sur since I usually perform my upgrades with the full installer app ---> bypasses the problem.

Edited by fusion71au
Answer @d5aqoep's query
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2