[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mnfesq said:

PNLF Device is missing.  You can use an SSDT to add it.

im use SSDT for catalina not problem clover, problem opencore

I wanted to know why if I don't have SSDT-EC.aml active, the Big Sur loading on my Acer E1 doesn't start?
If I disable it it won't start.
I just tried to activate dsdt and ssdt of the notebook and it doesn't start it remains stuck apple logo.

I wanted to know why if I don't have SSDT-EC.aml active, the Big Sur loading on my Acer E1 doesn't start?
If I disable it it won't start.
I just tried to activate dsdt and ssdt of the notebook and it doesn't start it remains stuck apple logo.

3 minutes ago, jmacie said:

Can someone look at this verbose and give me any info on this opencore 0.6.0 IMG_0114.thumb.jpg.fddd32d33ab7eb995090681f65d66190.jpgpanic? I am able to boot my x99 in Catalina, but Big Sir installer panics. Thank you for any info. johnm

Your SSDT-USB-EC needs work. Make sure you are using latest OpenCore

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmacie said:

Thanks @d5aqoep, I have tried to understand how to do the ssdt manually, but ended up using the prebuilt (SSDT-EC-DESKTOP), as SSDTTime supposedly doesn't work with my cpu and I'm not clear about coding and compiling. Thank you

Welcome. I hope you managed to boot into Big Sur. 90% of boot problems here are related to EC SSDT. Big Sure is more finicky about ACPI. Most motherboard manufacturers are breaking ACPI spec and this is the root cause.

Compiling SSDT is as simple as opening SSDT.dsl file in MaciASL, editing the required lines and saving it as SSDT.aml. It is compiled at the time of save.

Edited by d5aqoep
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 3:56 PM, SavageAUS said:

To update Big Sur volume label from PreBoot to what ever you named it (if you named it) install something that updates the preboot volume like intel power gadget (then remove if unwanted) reboot, success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This method works, I did install Intel Power gadget and the name changed to Big Sur after reboot. Thnaks SavageAUS

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, asdesoso said:

Hi @chris1111 could you upload your current HP ProBook 6570B EFI folder, without your SMBIOS, to try it on my HP EliteBook 2570P.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

This is the same in the program, you can find from the .dmg image

1 minute ago, chris1111 said:

Yes

But my current problem is when I run post-installation pkg, the installer doesn´t create my DSDT.aml for my own 2570P, and macOS shows me when I boot-up a lot of ACPI errors, so I downloaded your DSDT.aml from here. 

After putting your DSDT.aml file the ACPI errors are over, Catalina boots-up fine with my current EFI, but Big Sur Beta 4 stucks at AppleKeyStore Failed, Beta 3 and previous were OK.

I don't know what you are saying but I have no DSDT in the DMG

The problem I am having currently, is that my laptop, stucks at AppleKeyStore Failed, but I saw in the previous pages, some people who has the same error.

But I don´t know how to solve it.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, asdesoso said:

The problem I am having currently, is that my laptop, stucks at AppleKeyStore Failed, but I saw in the previous pages, some people who has the same error.

But I don´t know how to solve it.

Thanks.

Redo exactly what you did for Beta 2 that you had installed succesfully you must find what is wrong. Check your BIOS Setup ?

Redo exactly what you did for Beta 2 that you had installed succesfully you must find what is wrong. Check your BIOS Setup ?

From Beta 1 to Beta 3 I did it with modified Clover 5119, but after Beta 3 Clover doesn´t boot Big Sur, so I decided to try OpenCore, but with Beta 4 I can´t reach to the Desktop.

My BIOS is exactly with the same settings, I didn´t change anything.

9 minutes ago, asdesoso said:

From Beta 1 to Beta 3 I did it with modified Clover 5119, but after Beta 3 Clover doesn´t boot Big Sur, so I decided to try OpenCore, but with Beta 4 I can´t reach to the Desktop.

My BIOS is exactly with the same settings, I didn´t change anything.

If your DSDT.aml is not create by the utility you can try different SMBIos on the USB Installer then booting with this usb and finally try the utility

If that's not work you will see right away because NO DSDT

So remove EFI of the SSD change SMBIOS on USB , Reboot and retry :moil:

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, d5aqoep said:

Welcome. I hope you managed to boot into Big Sur. 90% of boot problems here are related to EC SSDT. Big Sure is more finicky about ACPI. Most motherboard manufacturers are breaking ACPI spec and this is the root cause.

Compiling SSDT is as simple as opening SSDT.dsl file in MaciASL, editing the required lines and saving it as SSDT.aml. It is compiled at the time of save.

No I have not been able to fix my ssdt-ec yet.. I am trying to understand what Dortania is saying. I understand using MacIASL. Am I supposed to edit the pre-built Dortania SSDT and eliminate the EC's that don't pertain to my board? Am I to make my own SSDT-EC.aml from decompiled DSDT lines pertaining to EC/ECO? This is where I am stuck now. Thanks

Edited by jmacie

43 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Kinda off topic sorry, but is anyone on a laptop using a SSDT for brightness keys?

I don't need a DSDT for my machine and all else is working besides brightness keys and AppleBusPowerController in Big Sur.

Im have but inject by @Jake Lo and @MaLd0n on my DSDT. Its very important use DSDT my friend...

Check with thoose guys, they are advanced users on this knowledge. 

4 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

Im have but inject by @Jake Lo and @MaLd0n on my DSDT. Its very important use DSDT my friend...

Check with thoose guys, they are advanced users on this knowledge. 

I'm trying to understand why Dortania says over and over NOT to use a DSDT, and many do use DSDT in opencore, including you and MaLd0n

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jmacie said:

Sto cercando di capire perché Dortania dice più e più volte di NON usare un DSDT, e molti usano DSDT in opencore, inclusi te e MaLd0n

from haswell onwards, nowadays with the evolution of the hack world, just targeted SSDT

for old hardware and notebooks then you might also need DSDT

Edited by iCanaro
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jmacie said:

I'm trying to understand why Dortania says over and over NOT to use a DSDT, and many do use DSDT in opencore, including you and MaLd0n

First, some clarifications are needed:

1. ACPI tables are a way for the hardware manufacturers to tell the OS "how you can safely turn a piece of device on and off, or adjust power to anything in between the 'on' and 'off' statuses".

2. SSDT or DSDT files follows the same logic and uses the same commands, but they have different contents for different tasks. The first is designed as peripherals section (I.e., SATA or TPM or SLIC or eGPU or Thunderbolt), whereas the latter as the motherboard and its embedded components (I.e., power button and GPU and CPU). Note the "or" and "and".

3. You can label your files "DSDT-EC.aml" if you want - that's purely cosmetic. Its contents is what matters. 

4. A DSDT or SSDT file is what the manufacturer adds as part of the hardware ACPI tables, and updates during their UEFI/BIOS/microcode upgrades on your computer. A SSDT file has the ability to extend certain sections of your DSDT (or other SSDT), and is more flexible/manageable for changes, since you will end with smaller chunks of code to review, mess or cause errors - and most of the time, these won't affect too much the ability to boot the system, since an ACPI execution error only affects the block you are working on.

With that out of the way, item #4 is what we do on the Hackintosh world, except we are making changes for macOS to load on the non-officially supported hardware. And usually by doing so, unless you are adding the necessary check items for use on macOS and keeping those to run on Windows or Linux, you will end up with an OC system that is capable of booting EITHER Linux and Windows OR macOS. And that's why the definition "do not use a DSDT" comes into play: most commonly, the DSDT edits removes the ability of other OS to boot, as they are oriented to macOS, and therefore are not recommended.

Note this is different from "you MUST not use". You can, again, use a DSDT edit if you know what you are doing OR if you agree in taking the risks of having a half-baked solution; just don't come up to the forums complaining "why OC doesn't boot Windows". You have been warned :D

Edited by Alex HQuest
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, jmacie said:

sounds like a very easy way for new people. just paste a bunch of .aml preset and say to world "i have vanilla" :lol:

BPQCLxZ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I am only trying to boot my BigSur installer with opencore, which I cannot do. It boots Catalina. I spent time following the guide. I'm trying to learn and I understand your point, but unless I ask why Dortania says it, I won't know.  I get that my ignorance shows, but unless I follow someones guide Dortania in this case, I have ask to have things handed to me and I was cured of that by Rehabman