[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Blu24 said:

OC 0.6.0 officially released :)

Big Sur Beta 3 boots without boot-args vsmcgen=1

Now this is unusual, with the new OC update and all kexts the latest I cannot boot without vsmgen=1 in bootl-args, even more unusual if I put -v to see why it is hanging and leave out the latter it will go on and boot to the desktop. :surprised:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Now this is unusual, with the new OC update and all kexts the latest I cannot boot without vsmgen=1 in bootl-args, even more unusual if I put -v to see why it is hanging and leave out the latter it will go on and boot to the desktop. :surprised:

Now this update finally works for me. Eat that :hysterical:

(j/k :wink_anim:)

Jokes aside, I still cannot boot installer. And I cannot get any Lilu & friends log messages unless I use liludump - and yet, it logging ends the moment dump is done. Too much beta to troubleshoot, not enough time to troubleshoot.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Alex HQuest said:

Now this update finally works for me. Eat that :hysterical:

(j/k :wink_anim:)

Jokes aside, I still cannot boot installer. And I cannot get any Lilu & friends log messages unless I use liludump - and yet, it logging ends the moment dump is done. Too much beta to troubleshoot, not enough time to troubleshoot.

My friend - Trust me this is the Beta that beats all Betas before it. :lol: 

• Haha 3

I decided to do a fresh beta 3 install yesterday just to test and try fix my lid sleep and it went ok still ended up with Preboot for disk name and no Big Sur startup disk and still no lid sleep. But after installing intel power gadget my disk name returned so it seems any installation that updates the Preboot volume will fix the disk name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

6 hours ago, eSaF said:

Oh man, you're not alone. It's so strange that putting -v will make it work because I thought it's just printing more verbose output....

And I'm not sure how you fixed it because even if I recompile the latest OpenCore and kexts and reset nvram. I still need either vsmcgen=1 or -v.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world to have -v...

Edited by TrickyHunter

This is my OpenCore 0.6.1 (3rd Aug 2020 compiled) EFI for my MSI X299 Tomahawk motherboard. ACPI is a b***h on this one but managed to crack this sucker in a week after lots of spectacular fails. This might even work on Asus X299 motherboards too. Installs Beta 3 from USB.

Since I have Aquantia AQN-107 10Gbe PCIe card, only Beta 3 patch for this card is in config file. If you are using Broadcom Wifi+BT, download the kexts separately and add them.

RX580 HDMI Audio and Realtek onboard audio both work.

Don't forget to change the iMacPro serial though. Clear NVRAM before starting.

OC_0.6.1_EFI_for_X299.zip

Edited by d5aqoep

14 hours ago, eSaF said:

Ok I manage to fix the inability to boot without vsmgen=1 in boot-args by compiling all new kexts, clean NvRAM and reboot so all is well in my BS world. :thumbsup_anim:

Does removing vsmgen=1 have any benefit other than a smaller boot-args?

PS. worked for me too, thanks for the tip

11 minutes ago, Partime said:

Does removing vsmgen=1 have any benefit other than a smaller boot-args?

PS. worked for me too, thanks for the tip

As you stated having a reduction in boot-args is possibly an advantage plus maybe shading a few micro seconds off boot time. I don't really know apart from the fact that quite a few posted that the need for that particular boot-arg was no longer needed and I was peeved it was not working on my machine so was determined to  find out why and make it work for me also. I tried a few times even with the advice that one must use the latest commits of OC and kexts, the dowloaded latest prebuilt ones didn't work, it only worked when I compiled everything myself on my machine, whether that has any baring on the success I don't know but it worked.

• Like 2

I had wondered why that wasn’t working. I thought it was a beta bug. Guess I’ll recompile kexts and remove boot arg and see what’s what.

I had wondered why that wasn’t working. I thought it was a beta bug. Guess I’ll recompile kexts and remove boot arg and see what’s what.

7 hours ago, d5aqoep said:

This is my OpenCore 0.6.1 (3rd Aug 2020 compiled) EFI for my MSI X299 Tomahawk motherboard. ACPI is a b***h on this one but managed to crack this sucker in a week after lots of spectacular fails. This might even work on Asus X299 motherboards too. Installs Beta 3 from USB.

Since I have Aquantia AQN-107 10Gbe PCIe card, only Beta 3 patch for this card is in config file. If you are using Broadcom Wifi+BT, download the kexts separately and add them.

RX580 HDMI Audio and Realtek onboard audio both work.

Don't forget to change the iMacPro serial though. Clear NVRAM before starting.

OC_0.6.1_EFI_for_X299.zip

I tried your EFI, but unfortunately unsuccessful. I have Gigabyte X299 Gaming 3. Maybee some components of board are diferent. Also, I have two vega 64. Thank you anyway.

9 minutes ago, sashamed said:

I tried your EFI, but unfortunately unsuccessful. I have Gigabyte X299 Gaming 3. Maybee some components of board are diferent. Also, I have two vega 64. Thank you anyway.

Make sure you have updated BIOS to latest (from 2020). 

Evening folks, can I please just confirm the command to create the USB Installer is something similar to the one I used for Catalina (Search isn't working for me at the moment it seems)...

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur\ Beta\ 3.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur/

41 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Evening folks, can I please just confirm the command to create the USB Installer is something similar to the one I used for Catalina (Search isn't working for me at the moment it seems)...

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur\ Beta\ 3.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur/

You can use this according your USB installer is named USB :

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur\ Beta.app --nointeraction

Edited by Loloflat6
  • Thanks 1

macOS Big Sur 11 beta 4

Run the macOS Developer Beta Access Utility to download the latest macOS beta. As new macOS betas become available you will receive a notification and can install them from the Software Update pane in System Preferences.

• Released August 4, 2020
  • Build 20A5343i
  • Like 11

After trying to understand why the stupid Big Sur does not find updates on my computer, I decided to strip down their Beta Access tool, and found the following command:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil enroll DeveloperSeed

This forced enrollment and it got the update right first time!

I also found out their own enrollment script is buggy, looking for either something newer than macOS 10.10 or older; because "11.0 | cut -d '.' -f 2,2" is 0 (Unix folks will understand), it was returning Big Sur as an ancient and not enrolling it into the latest Big Sur. So I manually ran the above seedutil command and 3.67Gb are being installed as I type this.

Give it a shot if you are enrolled on updates but not receiving anything. And yes, I'm happy it wasn't me but Apple who screwed up.

hquest@Alex-iMac ~ % /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil
Must be run as root
hquest@Alex-iMac ~ % sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil
usage: seedutil enroll SEED_PROGRAM
       seedutil unenroll
       seedutil current
       seedutil migrate OLD_VERSION NEW_VERSION
       seedutil fixup
hquest@Alex-iMac ~ % sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil current
Currently enrolled in: DeveloperSeed

2020-08-04 17:26:37.214 seedutil[1307:27155] Creating client/daemon connection: 819662DB-AD45-41B8-A44B-976A54FE9D0E
Program: 2
Build is seed: YES
CatalogURL: https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.16seed-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz
NSShowFeedbackMenu: YES
DisableSeedOptOut: NO
Asset Audience: ca60afc6-5954-46fd-8cb9-60dde6ac39fd
hquest@Alex-iMac ~ % _

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Alex HQuest said:

After trying to understand why the stupid Big Sur does not find updates on my computer, I decided to strip down their Beta Access tool, and found the following command:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil enroll DeveloperSeed

This forced enrollment and it got the update right first time!

I also found out their own enrollment script is buggy, looking for either something newer than macOS 10.10 or older; because "11.0 | cut -d '.' -f 2,2" is 0 (Unix folks will understand), it was returning Big Sur as an ancient and not enrolling it into the latest Big Sur. So I manually ran the above seedutil command and 3.67Gb are being installed as I type this.

Give it a shot if you are enrolled on updates but not receiving anything. And yes, I'm happy it wasn't me but Apple who screwed up.

Not working for me.  What is your csr-active-config? Mine is FF0F0000. 

• Haha 1