[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

Mirroring my MBP Big Sur and boot on a PC....

I have mirrored my Big Sur Beta from my MBP on external SSD, how to make it bootable?

How to install open core, kext etc.

Edited by Cyberdevs
Please use normal size fonts for your posts.

1 hour ago, ergot said:

Mirroring my MBP Big Sur and boot on a PC....

I have mirrored my Big Sur Beta from my MBP on external SSD, how to make it bootable?

How to install open core, kext etc.

wow, how about reading the guide to start. 

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

geez

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mick3lson said:

I'm new with opencore, DualBoot work on same drive? I tried but windows crash immediately after boot, with clover triple boot on same disk work smoothly.

I can never understand the logic of putting two different OSs on the same Drive given the fact that the cost of ssd drives are peanuts today. If you're thinking of dual boot OS X and another OS using OC, do your self a favour and pick up a 120gb or better still 250gb ssd drive and have each OS on their own respective drive. Doing it that way is going to save you a lot of bother plus you will have the advantage to remove one drive or the other during installation to minimise mishaps. Hope this give you some thoughts going forward. Good luck.

PS. Dual booting two or more OSs is doable and it's all do with formatting for each OS, for instance you could divide a one terabyte drive equally for each OS but I still prefer individual drives, but as they say, each to his own.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I can never understand the logic of putting two different OSs on the same Drive given the fact that the cost of ssd drives are peanuts today. If you're thinking of dual boot OS X and another OS using OC, do your self a favour and pick up a 120gb or better still 250gb ssd drive and have each OS on their own respective drive. Doing it that way is going to save you a lot of bother plus you will have the advantage to remove one drive or the other during installation to minimise mishaps. Hope this give you some thoughts going forward. Good luck.

PS. Dual booting two or more OSs is doable and it's all do with formatting for each OS, for instance you could divide a one terabyte drive equally for each OS but I still prefer individual drives, but as they say, each to his own.

I'd rather install on two or three disk but on my laptop I've no way to insert other disks.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I can never understand the logic of putting two different OSs on the same Drive given the fact that the cost of ssd drives are peanuts today.

Trust me, American prices aren’t seen everywhere in the world. Peanuts here, pricier elsewhere. Lucky you that can choose a new ssd or a bag of peanuts.

To @mik3lson’s point, you can install and boot multiple OSes, assuming you are not replacing or patching any DSDT/SSDT tables to cause other OSes to fail boot.

32 minutes ago, mick3lson said:

I'd rather install on two or three disk but on my laptop I've no way to insert other disks.

Ok understood - also is there no way to hot plug/swop an external drive by usb to give you better latitude on your laptop to accommodate your wish? Like I said dual boot booting is very doable as long as the existing drive is large enough to hold the OSs plus all the programs you will install over a period so if there is no other way, by all means give it a shot.

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

I can never understand the logic of putting two different OSs on the same Drive

there is no particular problem in keeping several OSs on the same disk and for each OS its own dedicated EFI.

Z370 4 EFI with 2 win10, high sierra, mojave, catalina, bigsur, linux mageia

T-Ryzo 3 EFI with 2 win10, high sierra, mojave, catalina and bigsur

you can also single-enter both Clover and OC EFI and add both to bioS entries

The main problem is always and only OC as it handles the startup of windows... 

• Thanks 1

@iCanaro - I have dual boot both OS X and Windows from the same drive back in the day on a mechanical drive with clover but this arrangement would create problems on my rig from time to time specially when updating. This was on a legacy Gigabyte GA-EX58 board, after all that hassle I adopted the policy of putting all OSs when multi-booting on their respective drives giving me the freedom of isolation.

@Alex HQuest- It was very wrong of me to assume what I consider as peanuts is reasonable by others. My thinking was purely based on the price of ssd drives today compared to say 5 years ago, that still does not excuse my thoughts so thanks for the heads up. :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, eSaF said:

This was on a legacy Gigabyte GA-EX58 board, after all that hassle I adopted the policy of putting all OSs when multi-booting on their respective drives giving me the freedom of isolation.

obviously keeping each OS on its own record and maybe even an EFI of its own, you avoid unexpected problems upstream  :)

• Like 3

On 7/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, MorenoAv said:

Well now I have new bugs... my clock stops working and only stays correct if I go to system preferences hour and date... yuckkk BS beta 3 is the first beta that gave me so many problems... :cry: ...

PS: i have a real Mac mini 2018 at work and tomorrow is my day of working, and I'll verify that... 

Following the issue above, today at work I had time to see what happens in a real Mac... and is the following, in the morning my boot disk was unmounted... in the afternoon it was mounted and I have startup disk and the name is macOS Big Sur and not PreBoot... until next time, says I... LoL ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iCanaro said:

here is no particular problem in keeping several OSs on the same disk and for each OS its own dedicated EFI.

Can you explain what are the steps to make two efi partitions on same disk, I woud try to install triple boot with Windows 10 Big Sur and linux ubuntu with opencore bootloader, clover has no issue to handle three partition with three operating system on same drive.

10 hours ago, Alex HQuest said:

@TrickyHunter I do have a 9700K and a 5700XT myself (see my sig), although I do not have a 2080Ti. Are you 100% sure you disabled the right card using SSDT? Unless you have tight cable management or uses water cooling, I would physically remove the 2080Ti to ensure I'm using the 5700XT card. Also, try to enable screen sharing on SysPref > Sharing, and log in to your computer from another device (phone/tablet/laptop) via VNC. I did that myself and it helps a lot - when I unintentionally break support to my USB keyboard :hysterical:

I'm pretty sure it's disabled the 2080 Ti because I'm using Catalina right now (to reply to you haha) and the monitors are running on 5700 XT :P

But yeah, good tip on the VNC bit. I'll try it to see if I can dig any information up.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:05 PM, TrickyHunter said:

So I have OpenCore 0.5.9 working perfectly on Catalina 10.15.6 and decided to try out Big Sur on a separate SSD.

OpenCore 0.6.0 built from source together with kexts:

• AppleALC
  • BrcmPatchRam
  • Lilu
  • VirtualSMC + vsmcgen=1 (or FakeSMC)
  • WhateverGreen
  • NVMeFix

Kexts and other configs are exactly the same as 0.5.9 on Catalina.

The installer boots and install without issues.

Now after the install, it boots (progress bar completes) but stays in black screen on all my 3 monitors. I have iGPU enabled but NOT connected to any monitor. It's the 5700 XT that's driving the displays.

The weird thing is that in 10 boots, there could be one that ends up working lol. I've had twice happen to me.

I haven't tried beta 2 or 1 not sure if it'd make a difference. I have 9700k and 5700 XT here.

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll wait for beta 4.

Just to report on this one. The temporary solution is to change SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 (instead of iMacPro1,1 or iMac19,1) and use agdpmod=ignore (instead of agdpmod=pikera) in the boot args. This solution is mentioned in the OpenCore guide at here (search for Black screen after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLock... on Navi).

Now, I'm not sure this is the proper fix to be honest. But for now it'd work for beta 3 and hopefully it'd be fixed by the new WhateverGreen.

FYI, @Alex HQuest

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, robertdes69 said:

i have a z77ds3h im stuck appleintelcpu can anybody help

thanks

32215FC6-4560-4A24-9AB3-0450F5360EFD.jpeg

You need SSDT-PM.

Spoiler

471133825_Capturdeecrandin2020-07-31la12_37_20.thumb.png.4aed6976b0c52b442694a36f8a634170.png

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-laptop.plist/ivy-bridge.html#acpi if you have laptop.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/ivy-bridge.html#acpi for desktop.

Edited by Stefanalmare