[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I edited the DeviceProperties to add what i have in config.plist and i also added the plugins for the new AirportBrcmFixup.kext to the config.plist.

You can try it as long as you add in your serials etc or copy over what i added / changed into your config.plist

What WiFi chip do you have?

@SavageAUS It’s a Brcm94331cd mini pcie WiFi and BT combo card that I purchased back in 2014. About the serials, I had them already included but for some reason when I open About this MAC it shows the following wording: To be filled by OEM.
Update: I booted the system with the config file you edited but still no WiFi. I checked in Ioreg and nothing in there.

Edited by jlrycm

55 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

No, the main point of the post was that it is possible to boot Big Sur on an old machine with a non metal graphics card as long as the OS is already fully installed on the HD/SSD.  Without a metal capable graphics card, I was unable to install from scratch with a createinstallmedia Installer USB (installation stalls at stage 2, kernel panics with graphics error ---> reboots).

1.  Ensure SIP, authenticated-root and APFS snapshots are disabled.  Mounting the / folder as read-write should not show any "error 66"...

fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % csrutil authenticated-root status
Authenticated Root status: disabled
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % nvram csr-active-config
csr-active-config	w%08%00%00
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % ls -l /Volumes 
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root        wheel    1 15 Jul 08:21 Big_Sur -> /
drwxrwxr-x  23 fusion71au  staff  850 10 Jul 19:15 Install macOS Big Sur Beta
drwxr-xr-x  22 root        admin  704  1 Jun 15:08 macOS
drwxr-xr-x  21 root        wheel  672 23 Jun 15:27 macOS — Data
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo mount -uw /
Password:

2.  Backup original kext(s) in /S/L/E, copy desired kext into /L/E or /S/L/E.  Afterwards, correct file permissions for the kexts...

fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.orig 
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions 
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext && sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

3.  Touch /S/L/E and rebuild kext caches with kextcache (deprecated but still works for now) or kmutil (preferred)...

fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -i /
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild
rebuilding local auxiliary collection
kmutil done

or

fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kmutil install --volume-root / --update-all --force
checking collections...
considering release out-of-date because of --force
rebuilding release collections: boot, system
rebuilding release collections:
	boot kernel collection
	system kext collection
rebuilding local auxiliary collection
kmutil done

4.  Run kcditto to copy the cache files to the correct locations...

fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac ~ % sudo /usr/sbin/kcditto
Copying deferred prelinked kernels in /...
/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/kext_tools/kext_tools-685/kc_staging.m.279: Encountered error while inspecting path: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The folder “PrelinkedKernels” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Folder
), NSUnderlyingError=0x7fc8e250f310 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-43 "fnfErr: File not found"}}
/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/kext_tools/kext_tools-685/kc_staging.m.279: Encountered error while inspecting path: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The folder “PrelinkedKernels” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Folder
), NSUnderlyingError=0x7fc8e2405170 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-43 "fnfErr: File not found"}}
Copying KCs in /...
System Volume UUID: 87B3F97E-C36B-47AC-848D-465CB4414386
Volume Group UUID: B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA
Preboot disk: /dev/disk2s2
Preboot volume: /System/Volumes/Preboot
Copying: /System/Library/KernelCollections/BootKernelExtensions.kc.elides -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA/boot/System/Library/KernelCollections
Copying: /System/Library/KernelCollections/BootKernelExtensions.kc -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA/boot/System/Library/KernelCollections
Copying: /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/immutablekernel -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels
Copying: /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels

Notice the error /AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/kext_tools/kext_tools-685/kc_staging.m.279: Encountered error while inspecting path: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The folder “PrelinkedKernels” doesn’t exist." 

The end result of installing kexts and rebuilding caches while booted into Big Sur seems to be that KernelExtensions.kcs are updated but the prelinkedkernel remains unchanged, compared to doing this process from Recovery where both the prelinkedkernel and kcs are updated...

Reveal hidden contents

1325819429_PrelinkedkernelunchangedvsKernelCollections.thumb.png.a695eb22021a35aec0562d3b0cb430d3.png

thanks that great guide

8 minutes ago, jlrycm said:

@SavageAUS It’s a Brcm94331cd mini pcie WiFi and BT combo card that I purchased back in 2014.

Ok let me know how you go, Like i said, you may need to change this part

<key>compatible</key>
<string>pci14e4,43a0</string>

To match your card.

Edited by SavageAUS

32 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Ok let me know how you go, Like i said, you may need to change this part

<key>compatible</key>
<string>pci14e4,43a0</string>

To match your card.

@SavageAUS this is how the card is recognized in MacOS Catalina. Based on that, what device id should I use? 

pci14e4,4331?

Update: @SavageAUS, In the other hand, the readme of the AirportBrcmFixup says something about blocking the two new plugins using maxkernel 19.9.9 in the config file which is also suggested by MadL0n.

A18935AB-284B-4097-8FC6-4A5B16A51D16.jpeg

Edited by jlrycm

52 minutes ago, jlrycm said:

@SavageAUS this is how the card is recognized in MacOS Catalina. Based on that, what device id should I use? 

pci14e4,4331?

Update: @SavageAUS, In the other hand, the readme of the AirportBrcmFixup says something about blocking the two new plugins using maxkernel 19.9.9 in the config file which is also suggested by MadL0n.

Spoiler

A18935AB-284B-4097-8FC6-4A5B16A51D16.jpeg

I'm far from an exper on this but yes you can try.

<key>compatible</key>
<string>pci14e4,4331</string>

Edited by SavageAUS

18 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I'm far from an exper on this but yes you can try.

<key>compatible</key>
<string>pci14e4,4331</string>

Also, be vary of how you add the kexts to OC - otherwise they won't load properly. The order in Kernel -> Add should be:

BrcmBluetoothInjector

BrcmFirmwareData

BrcmPatchRAM3

55 minutes ago, Alex HQuest said:

Also, be vary of how you add the kexts to OC - otherwise they won't load properly. The order in Kernel -> Add should be:

BrcmBluetoothInjector

BrcmFirmwareData

BrcmPatchRAM3

We were discussing AirportBrcmFixup and its plugins which i put in the correct order.

If there are other issues in his config i didn't look at it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

We were discussing AirportBrcmFixup and its plugins which i put in the correct order.

If there are other issues in his config i didn't look at it.

Hi savage, use your airportbrcm kext and your deviceproperties but wifi doesn't work.
I have a dw1560 BCM94352Z and I also tried pci14e4,43b1 but it still goes undetected.
I share my config and if you could take a look to see what is missing, thanks.

config.plist

32 minutes ago, lasn2096 said:

Hi savage, use your airportbrcm kext and your deviceproperties but wifi doesn't work.
I have a dw1560 BCM94352Z and I also tried pci14e4,43b1 but it still goes undetected.
I share my config and if you could take a look to see what is missing, thanks.

config.plist

Have you tried without it?
I thought that card worked natively?

7 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, has anyone fixed the issue of SIGABRT and SIGILL on a USB installer?  I'm actually just trying to get to a recovery/install console.  I'm not trying to install.  But with an EFI that boots both Beta 1 and 2 just fine, I can't get there with my USB installer, just get the loop of SIGABRT and SIGILL.....

Anyone got past this, and if so, can you share how you did it?

Try with this EFI but you have to adapt it to your system :

Before to boot the installer reset nvram x 2 in OC boot screen.

I've turned to false in config.plist the IntelMausi.kext for the USB installer. The config.plist needs to be modified a bit for the EFI SSD after installation.

Edited by Loloflat6

9 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

Goodmorning PPL

Two quick questions please.

Can anyone to boot on recovery mode on Big Sur ?

and which is the newone csr-active-config value for Big Sur ?

Thanks.

Set UEFI/APFS/JumpstartHotPlug to YES/True in config.plist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jlrycm said:

@SavageAUS It’s a Brcm94331cd mini pcie WiFi and BT combo card that I purchased back in 2014. About the serials, I had them already included but for some reason when I open About this MAC it shows the following wording: To be filled by OEM.
Update: I booted the system with the config file you edited but still no WiFi. I checked in Ioreg and nothing in there.

I have same WiFi card , and it worked OOP for me , but AirDrop and continuity don’t work , 

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

Set UEFI/APFS/JumpstartHotPlug to YES/True in config.plist.

Worked perfect on my rig and is now the default setting in my config.plist going forward.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, aben said:

Whoa ! Seriously didn’t expect it to be that easy and smooth to update my current Catalina partition to Big Sur in a matter of minutes on my Dell Skylake laptop !

All I had to do was replace Lilu with latest “debug” version along with latest master builds of WEG and VirtualSMC, that’s it ! Didn’t even have to modify or edit my existing OC config.plist either ! Booted the Big Sur install media off my external HDD, tapped update directly onto my internal Catalina SSD partition and voila !
Update and install process smoothly took only about the usual 20 minutes with one additional reboot. Everything works just like it did on Catalina except for DRM/Netflix and the Trackpad preferences.

Massive respect to all developers and contributors for having reached this far of a milestone with the OC development.

HI. May i have your efi folder, i have skylake and i cannot update or install bigsur on the internal ssd, only booting via usb image, waiting

13 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:
That works ! and thank you

but somenthing make wrong ?

i have try csr-active-config

67000000 - FF0F0000 - 30000000 - E7030000

But has error 66

Spoiler 

Try 77080000 I think (in ProperTree). I may be wrong but I think that’s what I’m using and I still get error 66. I didn’t delete apfs snapshots, left it vanilla, that could be why I still get error 66.

I’ll upload my config later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SavageAUS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

I can't Install.

If I choose Insatll MacOS -> Hard Drive->Enter back to this screen.

Spoiler

image0.thumb.jpeg.d55a71c0851b07ce2f325c437034b32d.jpeg

12 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Try 77080000 I think (in ProperTree). I may be wrong but I think that’s what I’m using and I still get error 66. I didn’t delete apfs snapshots, left it vanilla, that could be why I still get error 66.

I’ll upload my config later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree try use 77080000

pico@picos-iMac ~ % csrutil status                   

System Integrity Protection status: disabled (Apple Internal).

pico@picos-iMac ~ % csrutil authenticated-root status

Authenticated Root status: disabled

pico@picos-iMac ~ %

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

But has error 66

1. Disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 77080000 in OC's config.plist, then reset NVRAM through the OC boot menu.  Alternatively, with blank csr-active-config setting, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and run csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal
  2. Need to also disable APFS snapshots.  I posted a guide several pages ago on how to do this and also replace/installing old kexts.

Good Luck!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lasn2096 said:

@SavageAUS could you share your config?

Could you add your hardware specs to your signature?

Attached my EFI folder minus resource folder and minus serial numbers.

This works 100% on my laptop in my signature.

EFI.zip

Edited by SavageAUS
Updated battery kext
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

1. Disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 77080000 in OC's config.plist, then reset NVRAM through the OC boot menu.  Alternatively, with blank csr-active-config setting, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and run csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal
  2. Need to also disable APFS snapshots.  I posted a guide several pages ago on how to do this and also replace/installing old kexts.

Good Luck!

Do you have EFI OpenCore for your Desktop1? It would probably work for my system because it matches mine for 95%. I would need it for Catalina 10,15.5
Thanks

38 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

Thanks, i have try but i can't find my fault..  :borg:

I have try also from recovery mode.

Hide contents

1194979918_movieuefi__-bash__9046_and__pre-release__macOS_Big_Sur_-_Page_28_-_New_Releases_and_Updates_-_InsanelyMac_Forum.jpg.6d5181a8a2b5b20a05a536fbfbadd889.jpg

1. First, boot to Recovery or your Big_Sur USB installer
  2. Type in terminal diskutil mountDisk1s5
  3. Then mount -uw "/Volumes/BigSur II" since you have spaces in your Big_Sur volume name.

Also hint for using terminal:  you can type some letters of a file path, then press <Tab> button and it will autocomplete ;)

32 minutes ago, luky35 said:

Do you have EFI OpenCore for your Desktop1? It would probably work for my system because it matches mine for 95%. I would need it for Catalina 10,15.5
Thanks

Already posted it back here.

Edited by fusion71au
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

Try mount -uw "/Volumes/BigSur II" since you have spaces in your Big_Sur volume name.

Also hint for using terminal:  you can type some letters of a file path, then press <Tab> button and it will autocomplete ;)

Already posted it back here.

Thanks