[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, manmo71 said:

Are you attempting to run iGPU in headless mode? Or you don't have a DGPU?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I don't have DGPU only IGPU...

Guest ricoc90
6 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Generally the hardware in my Sig has always worked well when upgrading, has anyone tried Big Sur on such an "ancient" setup (I'm just gathering the files and trying to keep up with this thread!)?

In theory it should work (Big Sur installs just fine on my Ivy bridge based Mac Mini with HD4000). Haven't tested it on my Ivy bridge based HP Probook yet though; I know some people are having troubles getting it to boot on an Ivy Bridge-based system, but that most likely will be something that time and patience will fix, lol.

moh@MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo csrutil status              

Password:

System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

moh@MacBook-Pro ~ % csrutil authenticated-root status

Authenticated Root status: disabled

but disk read&write command do not work 

moh@MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo mount -uw /                 

mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied

mount: / failed with 66

anyone have idea

2 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

In theory it should work (Big Sur installs just fine on my Ivy bridge based Mac Mini with HD4000). Haven't tested it on my Ivy bridge based HP Probook yet though; I know some people are having troubles getting it to boot on an Ivy Bridge-based system, but that most likely will be something that time and patience will fix, lol.

Thanks, I have a spare SSD and a USB3 external enclosure I could use once I get my head around it all.

Guest ricoc90
Just now, ameenjuz said:

moh@MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo csrutil status              

Password:

moh@MacBook-Pro ~ % csrutil authenticated-root status

but disk read&write command do not work 

moh@MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo mount -uw /                 

mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied

mount: / failed with 66

anyone have idea

That's because you're booted from the snapshot rather than the actual Big Sur volume. There's a fix for it but it's a hit or miss; for some it does work, for others it doesn't. See

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-11-big-sur-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/page-28?post=28603788#post-28603788

15 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

That's because you're booted from the snapshot rather than the actual Big Sur volume. There's a fix for it but it's a hit or miss; for some it does work, for others it doesn't. See

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-11-big-sur-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/page-28?post=28603788#post-28603788

thanks

i could not understand 

how to do this

can you tell me clearly

42 minutes ago, manmo71 said:

Then you should try this one 0x3E9B0000 with system definition 19,1

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Changed the platform-id with the one above, lost boot, graphic acceleration, sound...

After changing for the old one, I'm back with all of the above working, but not HVEC... :wacko:

thanks anyway...

Captura de ecrã 2020-07-11, às 23.09.56.png

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Like 1

anyone with a clue about what is happening here? working fine with catalina (using the same oc 0.6)

don't know if i do something out of the ordinary here, but i started the setup from within catalina, and this happens when choosing from the "installer" partition in oc

bigsur-kp.png

Edited by subjectdenied

Migrated my Z68 from Clover to OpenCore today and installed Beta 2 over the existing Catalina install. Went flawlessly. Everything works!

There are a couple of minor niggles though. The Finder menubar is dark, while I have appearance set to light. This is causing problems with MenuMeters (black text on dark menubar).

Also, the volume icon shows as muted on boot. This might be because I'm using optical out as in the past the icon would be greyed out (volume doesn't apply to digital audio). But it never showed as muted before.

But I'm surprised at how smooth the install went. It was slow (no ssd here either) but worked perfectly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, subjectdenied said:

anyone with a clue about what is happening here? working fine with catalina (using the same oc 0.6)

don't know if i do something out of the ordinary here, but i started the setup from within catalina, and this happens when choosing from the "installer" partition in oc

bigsur-kp.png

boot with npci0x2000 -igfxvesa

after complete installation  remove -igfxvesa

6 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Wifi is Connect  no kext install in System only DSDT patch Thanks MaldOn

The menue bar is Now fast as my Real MacBook Pro Really Happy of BS-2 B)

Only Trackpad in preference system not open 

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 11.49.19 AM.png

Hey Chris, how did you get the menu bar fast? Mine is very slow to load compared to that of my real iMac

18 minutes ago, dariuxzy said:

Hey Chris, how did you get the menu bar fast? Mine is very slow to load compared to that of my real iMac

I Just use OpenCore with  the necessary good files and the good System Definiton

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, SavageAUS said:

[mention]fusion71au [/mention]when I boot into the 3rd stage all I see is a preboot drive not the drive I named. I’m guessing I did something wrong? Do we need the patched installer?

I’m thinking about giving up on Big Sur until I get a new WiFi card. Is the BCM94352Z still the go to card for Big Sur and below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to patch installer if your SMBIOS is officially supported in Big Sur (that patch is to allow install into older Macs, bypassing compatibility checks).

IIRC, I only saw Preboot booting into the second stage install (the one with approx 30 minutes remaining).  The final boot into the third stage shows only the Big Sur volume to boot from the OpenCore menu.  Interrupting half way through the loading bar during this stage (when the progress bar slows to a crawl and the snapshot is being created) ---> Restart to OpenCore Menu now shows both "macOS Installer" and the Big Sur volume ---> Choose Big Sur Volume ---> 1 reboot, keep on choosing Big Sur volume, not the installer.

For those getting error 66 trying to mount their root volume despite disabling SIP for authenticated root --> it means your system still has APFS System Snapshots enabled.  These can be removed following the steps below (credit to guide on reddit

Fixing APFS Snapshot Procedure

1. Boot into the Big Sur installer USB
  2. Open a terminal, type `csrutil disable` and reboot
  3. When back into the installer, run `diskutil list` to find the location of the "Macintosh HD" disk, such as disk2s5
  4. Mount it using `diskutil mountDisk <disk identifier>` such as `diskutil mountDisk disk2s5` then run `mount -uw <volume mount point>` such as `mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/` to mount it as read write
  5. Run `/System/Library/Filesystems/apfs.fs/Contents/Resources/apfs_systemsnapshot -v <volume mount point> -r ""`
  6. Then, to delete the snapshots on the disk, run `diskutil apfs listSnapshots <volume mount point>` and take note of each UUID of the snapshots
  7. Run `diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot <volume mount point> -uuid <uuid of snapshot>` for all snapshots on the disk.
  8. Verify that there are no more snapshots by running `diskutil apfs listSnapshots <volume mount point>` it should return "No Snapshots for disk"
  9. Reboot into the Big Sur desktop and make sure that running `sudo mount -uw /` returns no errors and that running `diskutil info /` returns a disk such as disk2s5 and not a snapshot such as disk2s5s1

19 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

I run this above command one by one deleting snapshot but i stuck here

By using this command mount -uw

Please make a toturial for better understanding about deleting snapshot partition

Here is actual real world example (output from terminal after booting into Big Sur Recovery or USB Installer).  Note in this example, <volume mount point> was /Volumes/Big_Sur,

UUID of snapshot was DD99DFC1-7FA2-4B1E-9F75-04380B0AFCA4...

-bash-3.2# csrutil status
-bash-3.2# csrutil authenticated-root status
Authenticated Root status: enabled
-bash-3.2# csrutil authenticated-root disable
Successfully disabled authenticated root. Please restart the machine for the changes to take effect.

//After rebooting back into the Big Sur Recovery or USB Installer, open terminal again and check SIP status now disabled...
-bash-3.2# csrutil status
-bash-3.2# csrutil authenticated-root status
-bash-3.2# nvram csr-active-config
csr-active-config	w%08%00%00
-bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *53.7 GB    disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk2⁩         53.5 GB    disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *53.7 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk3⁩         53.5 GB    disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +53.5 GB    disk2
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS — Data⁩            14.7 GB    disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 83.7 MB    disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                528.8 MB   disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk2s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS⁩                   11.0 GB    disk2s5

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +53.5 GB    disk3
                                 Physical Store disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur — Data⁩          3.1 GB     disk3s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 320.6 MB   disk3s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                835.0 MB   disk3s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 GB     disk3s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur⁩                 13.1 GB    disk3s5

/dev/disk4 (disk image):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        +1.8 GB     disk4
   1:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk5⁩         1.8 GB     disk4s1

/dev/disk5 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1.8 GB     disk5
                                 Physical Store disk4s1
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS Base System⁩       1.6 GB     disk5s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 130.0 MB   disk5s2

-bash-3.2# mount -uw /Volumes/Big_Sur
-bash-3.2# /System/Library/Filesystems/apfs.fs/Contents/Resources/apfs_systemsnapshot -v /Volumes/Big_Sur -r ""
Attempting tagging of snapshot  on volume: /Volumes/Big_Sur 
-bash-3.2# diskutil apfs listSnapshots /Volumes/Big_Sur
Snapshot for disk3s5 (1 found)
|
+-- DD99DFC1-7FA2-4B1E-9F75-04380B0AFCA4
    Name:        com.apple.os.update-190312682FDBFD811EAF7E1DE7AA32CC00611E1594F50D161F143E85BF633A4C
    XID:         330
    Purgeable:   Yes
    NOTE:        This snapshot limits the minimum size of APFS Container disk3

-bash-3.2# diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot /Volumes/Big_Sur -uuid DD99DFC1-7FA2-4B1E-9F75-04380B0AFCA4
Deleting APFS Snapshot DD99DFC1-7FA2-4B1E-9F75-04380B0AFCA4 "com.apple.os.update-190312682FDBFD811EAF7E1DE7AA32CC00611E1594F50D161F143E85BF633A4C" from APFS Volume disk3s5
Started APFS operation
Finished APFS operation
-bash-3.2# diskutil apfs listSnapshots /Volumes/Big_Sur
No snapshots for disk3s5

Reboot into Big Sur proper and open terminal to install kext(s) eg say you want to replace original /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext with attached IO80211Family.kext from High Sierra in your ~/Downloads folder

fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo mount -uw /
Password:

//Rename original /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext and replace with older IO80211Family.kext from your ~/Downloads folder 
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.orig
Password:
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo mv ~/Downloads/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo kmutil install --update-all
checking collections...
updated extension 'com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360' found on disk at '/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext' (mach-o UUID changed from <unknown> to 8DE38A76-B284-34D2-AF4E-DB727D7FF250)
updated extension 'com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40' found on disk at '/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext' (mach-o UUID changed from <unknown> to 9753F22E-5C85-3E95-B543-0870CF03838A)
updated extension 'com.apple.driver.IO80211NetBooter' found on disk at '/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IO80211NetBooter.kext' (mach-o UUID changed from C0A664A0-F3F6-3C63-919F-B33AA52EC96A to 22A50E20-A024-3B8D-9268-B69ECBA918A0)
updated extension 'com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family' found on disk at '/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext' (mach-o UUID changed from 99011013-0804-3EF6-B433-D33B216C05DB to A879B51A-4562-3B95-B6C3-A2472B508F2F)
updated extension 'com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC' found on disk at '/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext' (mach-o UUID changed from 1BFF3E8B-77F0-3C4B-A6C1-9DF06132B189 to 0F1637EA-51B0-3A81-9433-956A19427984)
updated extension 'com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331' found on disk at '/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4331.kext' (mach-o UUID changed from <unknown> to D4559F1A-005E-353C-B33F-3006C349EE5D)
rebuilding release collections: boot, system
rebuilding release collections:
	boot kernel collection
	system kext collection
rebuilding local auxiliary collection
kmutil done
fusion71au@fusion71aus-Mac-mini ~ % sudo kcditto
Copying deferred prelinked kernels in /...
/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/kext_tools/kext_tools-685/kc_staging.m.279: Encountered error while inspecting path: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The folder “PrelinkedKernels” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Folder
), NSUnderlyingError=0x7f8b16d078d0 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-43 "fnfErr: File not found"}}
/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/kext_tools/kext_tools-685/kc_staging.m.279: Encountered error while inspecting path: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The folder “PrelinkedKernels” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels, NSUserStringVariant=(
    Folder
), NSUnderlyingError=0x7f8b16e07500 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-43 "fnfErr: File not found"}}
Copying KCs in /...
System Volume UUID: 3D41E3EC-D061-4315-BF1B-56B1DA8FF19A
Volume Group UUID: 1DF588CB-10D4-48C2-BE99-71CF80DD2FBF
Preboot disk: /dev/disk5s2
Preboot volume: /System/Volumes/Preboot
Copying: /System/Library/KernelCollections/BootKernelExtensions.kc.elides -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/1DF588CB-10D4-48C2-BE99-71CF80DD2FBF/boot/System/Library/KernelCollections
Copying: /System/Library/KernelCollections/BootKernelExtensions.kc -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/1DF588CB-10D4-48C2-BE99-71CF80DD2FBF/boot/System/Library/KernelCollections
Copying: /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/immutablekernel -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/1DF588CB-10D4-48C2-BE99-71CF80DD2FBF/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels
Copying: /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -> /System/Volumes/Preboot/1DF588CB-10D4-48C2-BE99-71CF80DD2FBF/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels

Edited by fusion71au
Attached High Sierra IO80211Family.kext to post
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Il y a 16 heures, chris1111 a déclaré:

J'utilise simplement OpenCore avec les bons fichiers nécessaires et la bonne définition du système

Bonsoir Chris, peux-tu poster le OC de ce pont HD4000 pour essayer de comprendre ou je bloque! Merci et bonne chance

Bonsoir Chris, pouvez-vous me poster le pont OC de ce iy HD4000 pour ensayer de compreendre ou je bloque! merci et bonne continuation

no longer needed Thank you resolved

*** plus besoin Merci resolue 

Edited by pg7

Did a migration but safari passwords stuffed up.

Clean install in 25minutes, Boots in 45 seconds

All good now

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.09.08 am.png

Edited by STLVNUB
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

No need to patch installer if your SMBIOS is officially supported in Big Sur (that patch is to allow install into older Macs, bypassing compatibility checks).

IIRC, I only saw Preboot booting into the second stage install (the one with approx 30 minutes remaining).  The final boot into the third stage shows only the Big Sur volume to boot from the OpenCore menu.  Interrupting half way through the loading bar during this stage (when the progress bar slows to a crawl and the snapshot is being created) ---> Restart to OpenCore Menu now shows both "macOS Installer" and the Big Sur volume ---> Choose Big Sur Volume ---> 1 reboot, keep on choosing Big Sur volume, not the installer.

For those getting error 66 trying to mount their root volume despite disabling SIP for authenticated root --> it means your system still has APFS System Snapshots enabled.  These can be removed following the steps below (credit to guide on reddit

Fixing APFS Snapshot Procedure

1. Boot into the Big Sur installer USB
  2. Open a terminal, type `csrutil disable` and reboot
  3. When back into the installer, run `diskutil list` to find the location of the "Macintosh HD" disk, such as disk2s5
  4. Mount it using `diskutil mountDisk <disk identifier>` such as `diskutil mountDisk disk2s5` then run `mount -uw <volume mount point>` such as `mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/` to mount it as read write
  5. Run `/System/Library/Filesystems/apfs.fs/Contents/Resources/apfs_systemsnapshot -v <volume mount point> -r ""`
  6. Then, to delete the snapshots on the disk, run `diskutil apfs listSnapshots <volume mount point>` and take note of each UUID of the snapshots
  7. Run `diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot <volume mount point> -uuid <uuid of snapshot>` for all snapshots on the disk.
  8. Verify that there are no more snapshots by running `diskutil apfs listSnapshots <volume mount point>` it should return "No Snapshots for disk"
  9. Reboot into the Big Sur desktop and make sure that running `sudo mount -uw /` returns no errors and that running `diskutil info /` returns a disk such as disk2s5 and not a snapshot such as disk2s5s1

DW1560 Working, thanks

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 19.53.23.png

• Like 2