[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, luky35 said:

I get the same with Big Sur on my Lenovo Skylake Desktop PC.
No one has offered a solution yet?

Try updating your Lilu & WhateverGreen kexts to latest ones (compile from acidanthera GIT Hub).

For my Skylake NUC6i5SYH with Intel Iris Graphics 540, I also had to change to ig-platform-id=0x00001219 (from 0x02002619) to avoid black screen connected to my HDMI port...

Edit: 0x00002619 also works for my system :)

Spoiler

2017102855_BS_beta2Installer1.thumb.JPG.2f6c9d4c7a322c242a15f2416f632394.JPG1992801861_Big_SurBeta2onSkylakeNUC6i5SYH.thumb.png.98d7f4ac6eca3f828fec379478cbbeab.png

Kexts.zip

Notes on Beta 2 Installation

• Can disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 0x77080000 in OC's config.plist, then resetting NVRAM through the OC boot menu.  Alternatively, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and set csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal.
  • To allow older Broadcom or Atheros AirPort cards to work in Big Sur, I replaced IO80211Family.kext with one from High Sierra following You tube guide by @iPixelGalaxy.  By interrupting the third installation phase half way, this stops the installer creating an apfs snapshot and sealing the system ---> enables you to mount the actual System / and rebuild kext cache/kernel collections when installing kexts...

After you get into the OS, run in terminal

sudo mount -uw /

After replacing the IO80211Family.kext following the video instructions linked above, run:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kmutil install --update-all
sudo kcditto

Reboot the system and you will have working wifi (as long as your system SMBIOS supported Catalina).

Edited by fusion71au
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have an error installing the USB stick on a 150 GB APFS partition of an internal SSD. Everything OC is up to date.
In the picture it stops with RecoveryOS Time Out etc.
Does anyone have any idea how to solve the problem to get to the actual installer? Is it perhaps related to the fact that

I have connected two other SSDs (one for Windows and one as a data grab)? I don't really think so?

Update: its solved ! longer waiting exact 5 Minutes and install continue.....

20200711_031308.jpg

Edited by AlfredoM

10 hours ago, greythorne said:

Attached is the Kexts i used for booting BS in USB. After complete install I used back release version of Lilu.kext.

Also in the zip file I included Lilu, WEG, VSMC & ALC. WEG, VSMC & ALC compiled against Debug version of Lilu.kext.

Kexts.zip

Thanks for your kexts which worked in already installed Big Sur, but I can not boot to update or newly install Big Sur beta 2 yet. It always freeze before ++++++++++++++++++++.

• Like 1

hi finally running macos big sur beta 2 on my pc. I told them that it cost to make opencore start as I think it cost them all, but finally it got to the point where everything worked by removing adding kexts, activating deactivating options in the quirks.
Also tell them that first install it on a mechanical hard drive uff it took over an hour and a half to install. It was installed the same but later I installed it on an ssd and everything went a little faster. approx. 45 minutes, sometimes the installation stops for several minutes, but suddenly the letters start running fast.
install macos in a Dell Optiplex 7040 sff. It works practically all the only thing that I lack is to configure the usb ports well which recognizes them as usb 2.0 I will have to do a mapping of these with some tool.
as I said the sound works, video works (you have to unlock some video parameters to work as a native and unlock the CFG Lock, there is a guide for this pc on github) ethernet works, wifi i have broadcom bcm43360cds 802.11 ac pci express x1, hdmi and displayport work.

aah the pc is with the latest bios.

this is the configuration of this pc:

Dell Optiplex 7040 sff

Intel core i7 6700 3.4 ghz processor
Kingston 32gb 2667mhz memory (2x16gb)
128 gb test samsung evo ssd disk
Intel graphics hd 530 1536 mb
Broadcom bcm43360cds 802.11 ac bluetooth wifi
Intel I219LM2 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Realtek alc255 audio
Tv monitor Sony 24 "

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

My only problem is the HEVC or better said the lack of HEVC, anyone knows how do I fix it?

Without HEVC I have no Netflix in safari, edge or firefox... 

Thanks

If what I found and corrected to myself is the same as of yours, HEVC isn’t truly the problem. Lack of correct DRM for the AppleGVA component is.

I solved mine by changing my SMBIOS from a regular iMac19,1 to an iMacPro1,1.

It seems the AppleGVA would obey the fact the real Mac may or may not have a discrete card; if it doesn’t, then your DRM is only to be performed by the iGPU, but then because it is a headless on the Hackintosh, the dVGA takes over and this causes confusion.

Give the following a try: enable both internal and external GPUs, make your external primary, and have all the SMBIOS settings (as generated from a tool such as Hackintosh) matching a real Apple device which has dGPU and is similar to yours. No need for any boot-params, although if it still does not work, you might want to look at the shiki headers inside WEG if you are to play with a shikivga boot-param.

Edited by Alex HQuest
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Try updating your Lilu & WhateverGreen kexts to latest ones (compile from acidanthera GIT Hub).

For my Skylake NUC6i5SYH with Intel Iris Graphics 540, I also had to change to ig-platform-id=0x00001219 (from 0x02002619) to avoid black screen connected to my HDMI port...

Reveal hidden contents

1992801861_Big_SurBeta2onSkylakeNUC6i5SYH.thumb.png.98d7f4ac6eca3f828fec379478cbbeab.png

Kexts.zip

• Can disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 0x77080000 in OC's config.plist.  Alternatively, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and set csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal.
  • To allow older Broadcom or Atheros AirPort cards to work in Big Sur, I replaced IO80211Family.kext with one from High Sierra following You tube guide by @iPixelGalaxy.  By interrupting the third installation phase half way, this stops the installer creating an apfs snapshot and sealing the system ---> enables you to mount the actual System / and rebuild kext cache/kernel collections when installing kexts...

sudo mount -uw /

After replacing the IO80211Family.kext following the video instructions linked above, run:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kmutil install --update-all
sudo kcditto

Reboot the system and you will have working wifi (as long as your system SMBIOS supported Catalina).

Thanks for your help.
Did as you wrote, but still constantly got after running panic panic panic ....

• Can disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 0x77080000 in OC's config.plist.  Alternatively, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and set csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal.
  • To allow older Broadcom or Atheros AirPort cards to work in Big Sur, I replaced IO80211Family.kext with one from High Sierra following
    .  By interrupting the third installation phase half way, this stops the installer creating an apfs snapshot and sealing the system ---> enables you to mount the actual System / and rebuild kext cache/kernel collections when installing kexts...

sudo mount -uw /

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/sudo kmutil install --update-allsudo kcditto

Did you actually try that csr-active-config? I just tried it and rebooted into Big Sur and tried running sudo mount -uw / and I still get the same 66 error.
Should I clean nvram first?
Laptop in specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, bisdak4920 said:

Can you share your Clover installer EFI?

Sorry.

I didn't finish all the installation of Big Sur before, that's my guess, and it's wrong.

---

Bad news.

Now Clover can reach the installer screen, and finish the stage 1 to make target APFS volume with macOS Install Data.:)

But stop booting.. while loading /macOS Install Data/Locked Files/BootKernelExtensions.kc at stage 2.:(

135554.jpg.30ea866f296d7e3bd49806a7d781ad07.jpg

prelinkedkernel=25.7MB

BootKernelExtensions.kc=66.7MB

Normally, boot.efi load prelinkedkernel, but load BootKernelExtensions.kc at stage 2.

Maybe Clover can't decode BootKernelExtensions.kc.

I think, Clover can't load BootKernelExtensions.kc, if it works with BootKernelExtensions.kc, then Clover can install Big Sur from full installer app.

Still now, I can't finish Big Sur installation with Clover.:(

Edited by crazybirdy
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Did you actually try that csr-active-config? I just tried it and rebooted into Big Sur and tried running sudo mount -uw / and I still get the same 66 error.
Laptop in specs.

Did you actually try that csr-active-config? Yes...

Spoiler

1511745355_csr-active-config7708inOC.png.6426c8d408dd163968ee32e674063052.png

Good idea.  What is the output when you type nvram csr-active-config in terminal?  If authenticated root is disabled, it should look like this....

fusion71au@fusion71ausMini ~ % nvram csr-active-config
csr-active-config	w%08%00%00
fusion71au@fusion71ausMini ~ % csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled (Apple Internal).
fusion71au@fusion71ausMini ~ % csrutil authenticated-root status
Authenticated Root status: disabled

I just tried it and rebooted into Big Sur and tried running sudo mount -uw / and I still get the same 66 error.

Most likely you still have apfs snapshots enabled in your system.  If you clean install Big_Sur from a USB Installer following @iPixelGalaxy's video guide, the output from diskutil list command shows identical apfs container structure as Catalina eg 

/dev/disk4 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +59.9 GB    disk4
                                 Physical Store disk3s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur — Data⁩          11.2 GB    disk4s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 328.4 MB   disk4s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                740.0 MB   disk4s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk4s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur⁩                 14.3 GB    disk4s5

/dev/disk5 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +53.6 GB    disk5
                                 Physical Store disk3s4
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨Catalina - Data⁩         4.8 GB     disk5s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 80.5 MB    disk5s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                515.9 MB   disk5s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      2.1 GB     disk5s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨Catalina⁩                11.5 GB    disk5s5

Note with only the real Big Sur root filesystem (disk4s5), there is no snapshot diskXsYsZ listed.

@ASentientBot has posted a solution for those with the default Big Sur installation to bypass snapshots @Macrumors forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazybirdy said:

Sorry.

I didn't finish all the installation of Big Sur before, that's my guess, and it's wrong.

---

Bad news.

Now Clover can reach the installer screen, and finish the stage 1 to make target APFS volume with macOS Install Data.:)

But stop booting.. while loading /macOS Install Data/Locked Files/BootKernelExtensions.kc at stage 2.:(

Still now, I can't finish Big Sur installation with Clover.:(

I think Clover is not yet ready for Big Sur :cry:

10 hours ago, Blu24 said:

Hi Matgen84,

I've compiled an EFI for your Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master motherboard. I'm 95% sure it will work

Boot into your USB then select OpenCore

You only need to change

• MLB
  • SystemSerialNumber
  • SystemUUID

EFI.zip

Same issue: Second stage, Big Sur stuck at "less than a minute remaining" with full progress bar :cry:

• Sad 1

Well that was too easy, After trying for days up and running.

Just the right config and latest OC plus kexts

Sur_OC_EFI.zip

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.22.51 pm.png

Edited by STLVNUB
  • Like 4

Did you actually try that csr-active-config? Yes...

Spoiler 1511745355_csr-active-config7708inOC.png.6426c8d408dd163968ee32e674063052.png

Good idea.  What is the output when you type nvram csr-active-config in terminal?  If authenticated root is disabled, it should look like this....
fusion71au@fusion71ausMini ~ % nvram csr-active-configcsr-active-config	w%08%00%00fusion71au@fusion71ausMini ~ % csrutil statusSystem Integrity Protection status: disabled (Apple Internal).fusion71au@fusion71ausMini ~ % csrutil authenticated-root statusAuthenticated Root status: disabled

I just tried it and rebooted into Big Sur and tried running sudo mount -uw / and I still get the same 66 error.

Most likely you still have apfs snapshots enabled in your system.  If you clean install Big_Sur from a USB Installer following @iPixelGalaxy's

, the output from diskutil list command shows identical apfs container structure as Catalina eg 

/dev/disk4 (synthesized):  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER  0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +59.9 GB    disk4                                Physical Store disk3s2  1:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur — Data⁩          11.2 GB    disk4s1  2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 328.4 MB   disk4s2  3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                740.0 MB   disk4s3  4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk4s4  5:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur⁩                 14.3 GB    disk4s5/dev/disk5 (synthesized):  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER  0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +53.6 GB    disk5                                Physical Store disk3s4  1:                APFS Volume ⁨Catalina - Data⁩         4.8 GB     disk5s1  2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 80.5 MB    disk5s2  3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                515.9 MB   disk5s3  4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      2.1 GB     disk5s4  5:                APFS Volume ⁨Catalina⁩                11.5 GB    disk5s5

Note with only the real Big Sur root filesystem (disk4s5), there is no snapshot diskXsYsZ listed.

[mention=1832745]ASentientBot[/mention] has posted a solution for those with the default Big Sur installation to bypass snapshots @Macrumors forum.

Ok doing a new install now using the above “shutdown” method. At stage 2 now with 28 minutes remaining so I will post results once all done.

Side note: is anyone having issues with Catalina once big sur is installed? Complaining about apfs version or features or something like that? and it takes a long time for wifi to come up.

39 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

Well that was too easy, After trying for days up and running.

Just the right config and latest OC plus kexts

Sur_OC_EFI.zip

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.22.51 pm.png

Same Here. mine was easy :thumbsup_anim:

I used the same settings from 0.5.9. compile from source using OC Builder :)

Edited by Blu24
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I think Clover is not yet ready for Big Sur :cry:

Same issue: Second stage, Big Sur stuck at "less than a minute remaining" with full progress bar :cry:

Did you select OpenCore?

kSLPBBo.jpg

Edited by Blu24

2 minutes ago, Blu24 said:

Did you select OpenCore?

Of course, I did that.

Now I download again Big Sur Beta 2 with CrazyBirdy's script instead of macadmin script. I will recreate a fresh USB Installer with createinstallmedia method.

2 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Of course, I did that.

Now I download again Big Sur Beta 2 with CrazyBirdy's script instead of macadmin script. I will recreate a fresh USB Installer with createinstallmedia method.

Ok, Have you tried my original EFI folder?

11 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:
It's unbelievable what I've been up to since the release of the Big sur beta 2
This Efi that I am uploading to you boot at 10.15.5
booting too the big sur beta 1
but does not start beta 2
Booting normaly but somewhere the installation is stopped while it starts properly and then it is not completed ..
Can an expert explain why?
I work more than 10 hours per day from release day  to find a solution and I can not have done all the possible combinations I can not understand the reason.
Motherdoard Z490 vission D  i9-10900 and RX 580

Thanks.

EFI.zip

made couple of changes to your efi folder. the 2.5gig port is currently not enabled since we need to get you booted.

EFI.zip

Edited by dannyboy9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blu24 said:

Ok, Have you tried my original EFI folder?

Of course with the previous  Big Sur app. The new one is not yet finished downloading.

3 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

Thanks my man but stuck on first lines..

Hide contents

IMG_20200711_105053.thumb.jpg.9e65b9712fff60ab1e369a1e555165f2.jpg

what gpu are you exactly using. you have mentioned earlier about an rx 580 but your signature mentions otherwise

1 minute ago, Moviemakergr said:

XFX but working nice on Beta 1 Installation

if you're using the 5700xt, use the boot arguement agdpmod=pikera . keep the basic plugins, i.e., lilu, weg, virtualsmc, usbinjectall active and disable the rest. your boot arguement of shiki doesn't work anymore since shiki is now weg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

To get the Beta 2 installer do I need Beta 1 installed please?

If you have Beta 1 installed, just update. If not, crazyBirdy has update his script. Take a look somewhere in this topic, I believe.

• Thanks 1

[mention]fusion71au [/mention]when I boot into the 3rd stage all I see is a preboot drive not the drive I named. I’m guessing I did something wrong? Do we need the patched installer?

I’m thinking about giving up on Big Sur until I get a new WiFi card. Is the BCM94352Z still the go to card for Big Sur and below?

• Confused 1