[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma, Sequoia on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
930 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35  This will be a good learning opportunity for you.  You need to learn how to use a plist editor to customize the config.plist in the EFI that I posted.  I use XCode to edit my config.plist and others have their own plist editor preference.  Carefully follow the instructions here and be patient with your own learning.  It is very important for you to add your own MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID to your config.plist (located in EFI/OC/config.plist) and it is important for you to define your own DeviceProperties (in config.plist) for audio and graphics (which are different from my graphics which use DP->DVI adapters).  Again, carefully read the instructions here and be patient with your learning.  When you have successfully completed your own config.plist edits and tested your customized EFI, please post your test results and questions.

Thank you for your advice, unfortunately I am disabled in 60 years and this is the only entertainment I have since I came from Windows to macOS.
Maybe someone else can help me fix this, but I have Macmini 8.1 entered differently under SMBIOS in the Plist.

Thank you.

@luky35 If you are using a DP->HDMI adapter (or a cable that converts DP to HDMI) to connect the DP port on your EliteDesk Mini to the HDMI port on your display, then it is my experience that you need No-hda-gfx in your DeviceProperties to avoid a kernel panic when your hack wakes from sleep.  When No-hda-gfx is present in DeviceProperties of your config.plist, you will not have sound from your display speakers.  It's a choice you need to make yourself: do you want sound from your speakers or a kernel panic when your rig sleeps and then wakes.  This kernel panic may have been fixed since I last tested.  If, as you implied, you have "Macmini 8.1 entered differently under SMBIOS in the Plist," then you can try to remove property No-hda-gfx from your config.plist DeviceProperties.  That should be the only property change that you need to make.  Test without No-hda-gfx to see if you have sound and if your rig is able to sleep/wake without kernel panic.

I am hoping that part of the entertainment that you seek includes the adventure of learning which I have found to be the most rewarding part of creating a hackintosh.  If you are expecting me to make the changes for you, then please accept my apology as that is not my intent in this thread.

Edited by deeveedee

Try changing here

949445016_Screenshot2022-07-09alle11_19_07.thumb.png.8ced5a3542b486763b8ad9052e006273.png

• 1 — 1x scaling, corresponds to normal displays.

• 2 — 2x scaling, corresponds to HiDPI displays.

• -1 — leaves the current variable unchanged.

• 0 — automatically chooses scaling based on the current resolution.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Try changing here

949445016_Screenshot2022-07-09alle11_19_07.thumb.png.8ced5a3542b486763b8ad9052e006273.png

• 1 — 1x scaling, corresponds to normal displays.

• 2 — 2x scaling, corresponds to HiDPI displays.

• -1 — leaves the current variable unchanged.

• 0 — automatically chooses scaling based on the current resolution.

Thanks, is OK

I have completed my testing of OC 0.8.2 with the igfxfw=2 fix documented here and have concluded that all is working well.  It would still help to have testing from others, but I'm confident that this new OC 0.8.2 EFI is solid.  I have updated the EFI attached to Post #1 with this new EFI for OC 0.8.2.  The EFI changes from my OC0.8.1-EFI-R004 are listed below.  After you update your EFI, Reset NVRAM before booting macOS with your new EFI.  If you have a SATA SSD, set Kernel > Quirks > ThirdPartyDrives = True in your config.plist (this quirk is not needed if you only have NVMe SSDs).  Test your new EFI on a bootable USB drive or other temporary drive before applying EFI updates to your main boot volume.

OC 0.8.2 EFI R002

• EFI/OC/ACPI
    • Added SSDT-PTS.aml with new _PTS which adds delay to end of _PTS to fix issue with boot-arg igfxfw=2 (paired with rename of _PTS to XPTS)
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • ACPI > Add > SSDT-PTS
    • ACPI > Patch > _PTS -> XPTS (pairs with SSDT-PTS)
    • Restored igfxfw=2 to NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args (after adding delay to end of _PTS)
    • Added ForceDisplayRotationInEFI to NVRAM > Delete > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 (noticed this change in Sample.plist)

OC 0.8.2 EFI R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Update Lilu.kext 1.6.0 -> 1.6.1
    • Update AppleALC.kext 1.7.2 -> 1.7.3
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext 1.5.9 -> 1.6.0
    • Update VirtualSMC.kext 1.2.9 -> 1.3.0
    • Update NVMeFix.kext 1.0.9 -> 1.1.0
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools

After you update your EFI, Reset NVRAM before booting macOS with your new EFI.  If you have a SATA SSD, set Kernel > Quirks > ThirdPartyDrives = True in your config.plist (this quirk is not needed if you only have NVMe SSDs).  Test your new EFI on a bootable USB drive or other temporary drive before applying EFI updates to your main boot volume.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

deeveedee hi,
I tried your new OC 0.8.2 EFI R002.
Installation and operation is flawless.
Thank you, you are truly an expert.

Despite the fact that I really like it, I'm going back to my old EFI 0.8.1, which plays my music through the monitor speakers (edited by MaLd0n).
With your EFI I can only listen to music through the internal PC speaker as I told you before. I can't edit the No-hda-gfx in config.plist.

Greetings.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 Thank you for testing the latest EFI.  MaLd0n has helped many, including me.  He is one of the treasures of this forum.

We have to admit that you have made a very good macOS HP 800 mini G4/G5 hackintosh tutorial.

Today I edited the BIOS on my HP 800 mijni G4 according to your instructions and it works great.

But I can tell you that near me in Slovenia-Rogaška Slatina there are around 150 of your citizens from Ukraine. Good people themselves.

Greetings,

For those who want to experiment with Ventura, I have successfully completed an upgrade as documented here.  Pre-release builds of OpenCore and Acidanthera kexts are available here.

EDIT: As indicated here, you will need OC 0.8.3 Beta and Lilu 1.6.2 Beta to upgrade to Ventura Beta 3.

EDIT: As indicated here, the Ventura Beta 3 update 22A5295i can be applied to our Hackmini8,1 without any issues.

EDIT: If you prefer not to share data with Apple, see this post and confirm your privacy settings.

EDIT: As indicated here, the Ventura Beta 4 update 22A5311f can be applied to our HackMini8,1 without any issues.

EDIT: As indicated here, the Ventura Beta 5 update 22A5321d can be applied to our HackMini8,1 without any issues.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

deeveedee hi,

I have one question:
Now I have the BIOS settings as per your instruction.
In case I ever want to change these settings back to factory how do I do it?
I know you guys are familiar with the BIOS from the HP 800 mini G4.

Thank you.

@luky35 I'm glad you were able to follow the BIOS configuration guide to configure your BIOS for macOS. Your suggestion to include instructions for resetting to Factory is a good one and neglecting to include instructions is an oversight on my part. I think it's as simple as selecting 'Apply Factory Defaults and Exit' on the BIOS main page.  Would you be so kind as to review this guide and advise me on the addition that I should make to our BIOS guide?  If you can provide a recommended sentence or two with instructions on how to reset BIOS to Factory Defaults, I'll include your suggested text in a revised version of the BIOS configuration guide. Thank you!

HI @deeveedee

Added No-hda-gfx in OC 0.8.2 EFI. Downloaded macOS Ventura B3 today.
The installation is super OK, only the sound comes from the PC speaker and not from the Monitor speaker.
I went back to the Monterey and the old EFI, where it does sound through the Monitor speakers.
Otherwise, kudos for your work.

Greetings

• Like 1

@Jazzoo and @luky35 - DP and HDMI audio works well with the correct DeviceProperties (in your config.plist) if you are using DP->DP and HDMI->HDMI (no adapters).  I have not recently tested DP->HDMI audio (with a DP->HDMI adapter), but when I developed the initial solution for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini in May 2020, use of graphics adapters (e.g., DP->DVI or DP->HDMI) would result in a kernel panic when waking from sleep.  The solution was to add the property No-hda-gfx to audio DeviceProperties in the config.plist.  At that time, all guides for WhateverGreen and UHD630 framebuffer patching said that graphics adapters would not work and were not supported.  I found through trial and error that with the correct DeviceProperties, adapters did work (but possibly without audio).  That was how I was (and still am) able to use DP->DVI adapters for my graphics.

Carefully read my known issues and my methodology to see the history of this solution.  My helping style is not to do it for you.  Others may do it for you, but I haven't found that to be a very good way to teach.  If you make attempts and provide your EFI and test results, I would be glad to advise.  Here's a hint: As is mentioned in the instructions here, you will be removing No-hda-gfx from the audio DeviceProperties and not adding No-hda-gfx.  Adding No-hda-gfx as is mentioned here is incorrect.

Remove No-hda-gfx in audio device properties to enable audio over DP and audio over HDMI

Spoiler

1348403578_ScreenShot2022-07-13at9_36_12PM.png.49182acbdee53006ac1c9b3eec208292.png

Maybe the two of you can PM eachother to figure this out together.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On my HP 800 G4 mini audio DP-->HDMI works 100%.
As a beginner, I don't know how to edit this in config.plist, I'm asking the person who did it for me right away.

@deeveedee has a different take on this that I'm not interested in.

We are here to help each other and not to force others to do something they don't know how to do.

Spoiler

1331463442_Screenshot2022-07-14at08_00_20.png.395b790d566d534095098d8b1d55c408.png

Edited by luky35

@Jazzoo Well done!  If you don't have a caddy fan and you plan to install a SATA drive in the caddy (with 2 NVMe SSDs), I would recommend adding the caddy fan. This fan is included with 65W models but is not standard with the 35W models. Your rig will generate extra heat with the 3 drives and the caddy fan will help keep the drives cooler. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! Fan purchased :) I have 1 nvme and 1 hdd now in my system and the temps are good. 35'C for the nvme (Kingston A2000 500GB + thermal pad) and 43'C for the HDD (Seagate 1 TB SSHD). Using Ventura as a daily driver now, feels great!

@Jazzoo I think you may find that the NVMe SSD thermal pad interferes with the caddy fan. If so, just remove the thermal pad. I don't use any thermal pads on my NVMe SSDs and have no thermal issues. 

• Like 1