[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma, Sequoia on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
954 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2024 at 11:52 AM, deeveedee said:

I like both the G4 and G5 Mini platforms.  To be honest, I don't think the G6 Mini is a good value compared to what you get with the G4 and G5 Minis.  I don't think Intel was making significant advances from 8th to 9th to 10th gen CPUs and the HP PL1/PL2 power limits in BIOS are overly restrictive (my opinion) after the G4 Mini.  I have not personally tested the G6 Mini, but I have thoroughly tested the G4 and G5 Minis and they are excellent for their tiny form-factor.  If you are still considering the purchase of a tiny platform with 10th gen Intel CPU, this thread by @rafale77 may also interest you.  If you want a G4 or G5 Mini with Radeon Graphics, this thread may interest you.  My G4 Mini with RX 560x is my favorite new hack.

I ordered an elite desk 800 g4 mini and ended up receiving a hp prodesk 600 g4 mini, however Last night I got to install sonoma 14.6 using the efi from this thread, had to do secureboot disabled after reading your notes on needing to do so for the install to finish then reverted back to the default, right now everything seems to be working, I swapped out the intel wifi that came with it and placed in AX210 NGW using the AirportItlwm.kext and the speeds are pretty decent enough.

My only letdown is the i/o module i bought for the rear panel type-c seems to not work, as my system doesn't power on properly when it's inserted. Will be looking into it later tonight.

• Like 1

I have attached a new EFI to Post #1.  This new EFI is based on Open Core 1.0.1 and includes the changes below.  In the OC config.plist, Misc > Security > SecureBootModel needs to be changed to Disabled to install / upgrade Sonoma and Sequoia.

OC 1.0.1 EFI R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext from 1.9.0 -> 1.9.1
    • Upgrade Lilu.kext from 1.6.7 -> 1.6.8
    • Upgrade RestrictEvents.kext from 1.1.3 -> 1.1.4
    • Upgrade VirtualSMC.kext from 1.3.2 -> 1.3.3
    • Upgrade WhateverGreen.kext from 1.6.6 -> 1.6.7
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • ACPI > Add: Remove DMAR
    • ACPI > Delete: Remove DMAR
    • ACPI > Patch:
      • Add Base, Count, OemTableId and/or TableSignature as needed to restrict ACPI patches
      • TPM._STA: reduce Find/Replace length to minimum necessary
      •  _PTS: Add byte to Find/Replace length to fix incorrect ACPI patch in DSDT
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • EFI/OC/ACPI: Remove DMAR
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I'd like to take a vote on SecureBootModel for future EFIs.  If you would prefer to have SecureBootModel=Disabled, give this post a "Like" emoji.  If you would prefer to keep SecureBootModel=j174, give this post a "Laugh" emoji.  Please don't clutter this thread with comments or replies about SecureBootModel.  If this post gets enough participation (more than 5 reactions) and it gets more "Likes" than "Laughs," I'll change SecureBootModel in future EFIs.  Thank you.

Vote

• If you prefer future EFIs to be posted with SecureBootModel=Disabled, "Like" this post
  • If you prefer future EFIs to be posted with SecureBootModel=j174, "Laugh" this post

EDIT: If this post does not get enough voter participation (more than 5 reactions), I'll leave SecureBootModel unchanged (SecureBootModel=j174) in future EFIs.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Has anyone used the Wi-Fi m.2 2230 slot in our EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini for an SSD?  If so, how's the performance and what SSD did you use?  Pinging @datafeedexpert.

EDIT: Here's a thread that claims that our Wi-Fi 2230 slot supports a SSD.  I'll wait for someone else to test this and report their findings.

EDIT2: I no longer need this Wi-Fi 2230 solution.  I developed a solution for installing a 2230 NVMe SSD in the second m.2 slot of our Minis here.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1