[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma, Sequoia on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
954 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@PlutoDelic My comments were not referencing the HDMI module, but hiphopboy's repeated posts here that may lead some to believe he is posting about an EliteDesk 800 Mini (which he is not).

I installed Sequoia on my EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini using the OC 1.0.0 EFI attached to Post #1 and the following updates.  All (including sleep) is working well.

• AppleALC.kext updated to Acidanthera Beta
  • WhateverGreen.kext updated to Acidanthera Beta
  • Lilu.kext updated to Acidanthera Beta

With the Beta kexts, there is no need for -lilubetaall boot-arg

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PlutoDelic said:

Both of you are correct, those Modules work for a wide variety of HP's, even on HP's that are not part of the support roster.

@hiphopboy Do you have the one from Page 3 or Page 5 (LINK)

Exactly Page 3 which i'm using on my Hp 800 G4, stable hdmi with Xiaomi Display, at my kind, the same with board, configuration, and Mini can booting on my 800 G4 SFF and i think it's stable with G4 SFF and Mini, in my siganature with configuration so i think everyone can see it, no one see the part with mini

I already upgrade the new driver so my hack still boot no need the -lilubeta, i'm using lilubeta just Bluetoolfixup not yet update to the version support with Sequioa

Edited by hiphopboy

Posted (edited)

@hiphopboy You are posting non-Mini test results in a Mini thread.  That's all I am saying.  The two have different BIOS and different USB maps.  When you post comments saying things like "sleep doesn't work," there is no way to know whether it is because you did something wrong in your EFI (which is different from the one that I provide in this thread) or.a mistake that you have made in your USB mapping.

Since sleep worked fine for me with -lilubetaall and with replacing the Acidanthera kexts here, your comment indicating that sleep doesn't work appears to me to be unique to your SFF (which is different from the Mini documented in this thread).

Let me be clear - you are free to post statements about your SFF in this thread.  I can't stop you from doing that.  I'm a regular user just like you who is providing my work here voluntarily.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I see "Fixed `ThirdPartyDrives` quirk on macOS 14.4 and above" in the Open Core 1.0.1 Change Log.  Apparently, OC 1.0.1 is required for SATA SSD Trim in macOS 14.4+.  This fix would affect anyone using a SATA SSD in their hack.

EDIT: Since there are EFI updates required for Sequoia, I will be posting a new EFI when Open Core 1.0.1 is released.  This new EFI will include new OC 1.0.1 binaries and updated kexts AppleALC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Use @lorys89 RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.4 Beta here or use RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.3 with -lilubetaall (or -revbeta) boot-arg  in order to see the latest Sequoia Beta update.

Screenshot2024-06-24at3_09_39PM.png.631ffb95b26de1e8b82665e04b973033.png

Edited by deeveedee
Added note about using RistrictEvents.kext 1.1.3 with boot-arg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@dREAmCaTCHeR G6 is different architecture (different motherboard chipset and CPU).  You would need to extract your own ACPI, develop your own ACPI patches and develop your own USB port map.  You might want to search to see if others have posted G6 solutions or create your own thread.  Your G6 solution will be different from the G4/G5 Mini solution posted in this thread.

EDIT: Other things that are likely to be different are your layout-id for AppleALC audio (if your audio is supported by AppleALC.kext) and your Ethernet (if your Ethernet is supported by IntelMausi.kext).  Best for you to create your own thread or search for a posted solution.  If you just want to learn how to create your own hack, read my methodology here and here.

Edited by deeveedee

Posted (edited)

Trying to get M.2 Intel AX210 Bluetooth working on my HP G5 Mini.

Thanks to deeveedee and other contributors to this thread - I'm now up and running with Sonoma 14.5 on my HP EliteDesk G5 Mini (see sig).  I've added M.2 Intel AX210 Wireless/BT (mainly for BT) and struggling to get BT working at all.

What I've done:

Added the card.

Enabled the M.2 slot in the BIOS

Loaded AirportItlwm.kext v2.3.0

Loaded IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext v2.4.0

Loaded IntelBTPatcher.kext v2.4.0

Loaded BlueToolFixup.kext v2.6.8

Reset NVRAM

Wireless started working immediately.

Bluetooth not working.  Does not enable. 

Under System Report, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Controller:

Address:  NULL

State: Off

Chipset:  BCM_4350C2

Discoverable: Off

Supported Services....

Transport: USB

Vendor ID: 0x004C (Apple)

Under USB:  Only shows USB 3.1 Bus and my two currently connected (wired) USB devices (Mouse & Keyboard).  No sign of any Bluetooth Controllers.

In my searching I see references to USB Mapping.  This G5 mini has 4x USB2/3 on the back and 2x USB2/3 on the front plus 1x USB-C.  I have verified the ports with Hackintool, all active and external when I plug something in.  Beyond that I am not sure if I am supposed to be configuring an 'internal' port for use with the M.2 slot I'm using?

Other things I've tried (incrementally) from different sources I've been reading:

Updated to IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext 2.5.0

Updated to IntelBTPatcher.kext 2.5.0

NVRAM Added boot-args -btlfxallowanyaddress

NVRAM Added bluetoothInternalControllerInfo DATA 0000000000000000000000000000

NVRAM Added bluetoothExternalDongleFailed DATA 00

Anything I might have missed?

Edited by Gandalf1969
Added detail.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Gandalf1969 Always post your EFI when you ask for help.  Read this very carefully.

Thanks @Deeveedee.  Resolved.  2days of my life I will never gain back but I know how the USB kexts work now :)

Reading through those notes again, I realised my mistake interpreting your note regarding the no H14 version of the kext.  So I took your 16-port example and edited to remove the two rear-left side USB ports 2.0 & 3.0 and left the M.2 entry at H14 as-is.    I've also disabled them in the BIOS. I don't need many USB ports anyway so I will put a sticker over the rear-left side ones and thought I'd keep the front ones fully functional.  Q:  Does the front USBC port in that kext need two entries or is it for bandwidth purposes? (I could not find a reference online).

NVRAM reset and Boom!  Bluetooth Controller there, enabled and can instantly see devices!  So again, thank you again for all your hard work.

Now to revise the other fixes/entries I applied to see if they are needed or I can remove.

Edited by Gandalf1969
Clarification - removed EFI
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Gandalf1969 Well done!  My teaching style may not be appealing to some, but I'm not inclined to spoon feed when I sense that the students are capable of doing for themselves.  I knew you could do it and you learned WAY more doing it yourself.

The two entries for the USBC port are necessary because of the way that USB C port works.  When you use Hackintool to inspect the ports, you'll see that there are two types of USB C ports:

• TypeC+Sw
  • TypeC

TypeC+Sw ports retain the same identifier when the USB connector is rotated 180 degrees (remember that you can plug a USB C connector in two orientations).  TypeC (no Switch) ports have different identifiers depending on the orientation of the USB C connector.  Test for your self by inserting, removing, rotating and inserting a Type C connected device.

Hackintool USB map (my hack without Bluetooth)

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-07-08at11_09_34PM.thumb.png.b23f5fb038f1cfc104a3dcf5b3b8cd06.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Gandalf1969 Well done!  My teaching style may not be appealing to some, but I'm not inclined to spoon feed when I sense that the students are capable of doing for themselves.  I knew you could do it and you learned WAY more doing it yourself.

The two entries for the USBC port are necessary because of the way that USB C port works.  When you use Hackintool to inspect the ports, you'll see that there are two types of USB C ports:

• TypeC+Sw
  • TypeC

TypeC+Sw ports retain the same identifier when the USB connector is rotated 180 degrees (remember that you can plug a USB C connector in two orientations).  TypeC (no Switch) ports have different identifiers depending on the orientation of the USB C connector.  Test for your self by inserting, removing, rotating and inserting a Type C connected device.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I was just rushing when I reviewed those notes (scanning 38pages) because BT was the very last crucial piece before putting the case back on the computer.  then performed a 100% known, fresh install of Sonoma 14.5 & OC1.0.0 from USB start-to-finish - worked like a charm :).  3x DP monitors, Apple mouse, kbd and airpods all connected and working great!  Time to retire the reliable 3yr old desktop hack and enjoy this mini-footprint one.

Interesting about the TypeC - I'll try it for sure.  So each of those ports consumes 3x USB entries (luckily only one on this mini) to retain full functionality.

Edited by Gandalf1969

7 hours ago, Gandalf1969 said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I was just rushing when I reviewed those notes (scanning 38pages)

Trust me - WAY less time than it took to create and document this.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Trust me - WAY less time than it took to create and document this.

I have ZERO question about that.  This is not my first Hackintosh and I recall what that first one took 4yrs ago(!) to build a total custom tower (Gigabyte Z490 Version G, RX580, Fenvi919).  That computer has been soooooooooo rock solid for 3yrs 24x7, I'd actually forgotten most of what I learned (OC).  All of that to say it makes me appreciate what you have done here and allowing me to get up and running on different hardware with a smaller footprint.

<respect>

Edited by Gandalf1969
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I needed another Windows 11 PC, so I assembled an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini for $105 USD with the following specifications:

• 65W HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini (copper CPU heatsink, SATA drive caddy with fan, vented cover, 3 x DP ports)
  • 150W Power Supply
  • Intel i5-8600 CPU
  • 32GB DDR4-2666 (2 x 16GB) RAM
  • Hynix 512GB m.2 NVMe SSD

If you look carefully and are patient, you will find great deals on these still very capable mini PCs.  They are perfect for macOS and Windows.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

A conversation about modifying DMAR has resumed here.  After reading the beginning of that same thread, I thought I was doing the right thing by modifying DMAR on our hackMini8,1. I'm reconsidering this.  No new conclusions yet.

EDIT: My initial thoughts are that I am going to disable the DMAR table drop (ACPI > Delete) in config.plist and disable the DMAR table add (ACPI > Add) in config.plist.  I think we can use the unmodified system DMAR with AppleVTD on this hackMini. If anyone else wants to test, I'd appreciate your conclusions. Tests on both the EliteDesk Mini G4 and Mini G5 are needed.

EDIT2: After my own testing with EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini (RX 560x version) here, I will be removing the DMAR table patch from this EFI.

Edited by deeveedee

3 hours ago, deeveedee said:

A conversation about modifying DMAR has resumed here.  After reading the beginning of that same thread, I thought I was doing the right thing by modifying DMAR on our hackMini8,1. I'm reconsidering this.  No new conclusions yet.

EDIT: My initial thoughts are that I am going to disable the DMAR table drop (ACPI > Delete) in config.plist and disable the DMAR table add (ACPI > Add) in config.plist.  I think we can use the unmodified system DMAR with AppleVTD on this hackMini. If anyone else wants to test, I'd appreciate your conclusions. Tests on both the EliteDesk Mini G4 and Mini G5 are needed.

I just made those changes with iMac19,2 SMBIOS. I will test and report back in a couple of days. Machine booted fine, so that's that for starters.

EDIT1: My results certainly don't seem to match yours. With DMAR patch, I consistently get ~23.5K GB6 Metal on RX560. Removing the patch drops the score to ~18.5K. Results seem to be consistent over multiple tests. Again, I'm using iMac19,2 SMBIOS. I will continue testing for few more days. Is there anything that you missed mentioning above for the change? I think I use the exact same config as yours (i5-8600 65W, RX560X, 32GB-2666, 230W PSU), so I can rule out any extra power or cooling advantages.

Edited by ird

Posted (edited)

While I was playing with the exercise I described here, I found an issue with my _PTS -> XPTS ACPI patch.  See here.  Note that I did not observe any behavior problems resulting from my original _PTS -> XPTS patch.  This new patch ensures that only the desired replacement is performed.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I wouldn't see any issues caused by this _PTS->XPTS patching mistake, because I don't boot Windows with Open Core.  This error in my patch would only have affected Windows booted with Open Core (if it affected anything at all).

Edited by deeveedee

Posted (edited)

Inserting this post as a reminder for me: The changes to my next posted EFI will include the following:

• Fix _PTS->XPTS ACPI patch (see here and here)
  • Refactor _OSI, _WAK and TPM._STA ACPI patches
  • Remove DMAR table patch
  • Upgrade to Open Core 1.0.1 (and upgrade Acidanthera kexts)

EDIT: For those who are booting Windows with Open Core, I'd be interested in knowing whether removal of the DMAR patch resolves any problems that you may have had with Windows.  After removal of this DMAR patch, all of my ACPI patches performed by Open Core should be transparent to Windows.  I am thinking about dual-booting my hack with Windows 11 and macOS on the same disk (haven't done this yet).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:09 AM, deeveedee said:

@dREAmCaTCHeR G6 is different architecture (different motherboard chipset and CPU).  You would need to extract your own ACPI, develop your own ACPI patches and develop your own USB port map.  You might want to search to see if others have posted G6 solutions or create your own thread.  Your G6 solution will be different from the G4/G5 Mini solution posted in this thread.

EDIT: Other things that are likely to be different are your layout-id for AppleALC audio (if your audio is supported by AppleALC.kext) and your Ethernet (if your Ethernet is supported by IntelMausi.kext).  Best for you to create your own thread or search for a posted solution.  If you just want to learn how to create your own hack, read my methodology here and here.

Okay thanks for the feedback, I'll focus on the G4 and G5 mini versions instead.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dREAmCaTCHeR said:

Okay thanks for the feedback, I'll focus on the G4 and G5 mini versions instead.

I like both the G4 and G5 Mini platforms.  To be honest, I don't think the G6 Mini is a good value compared to what you get with the G4 and G5 Minis.  I don't think Intel was making significant advances from 8th to 9th to 10th gen CPUs and the HP PL1/PL2 power limits in BIOS are overly restrictive (my opinion) after the G4 Mini.  I have not personally tested the G6 Mini, but I have thoroughly tested the G4 and G5 Minis and they are excellent for their tiny form-factor.  If you are still considering the purchase of a tiny platform with 10th gen Intel CPU, this thread by @rafale77 may also interest you.  If you want a G4 or G5 Mini with Radeon Graphics, this thread may interest you.  My G4 Mini with RX 560x is my favorite new hack.

Edited by deeveedee

On 7/20/2024 at 5:51 AM, deeveedee said:

Inserting this post as a reminder for me: The changes to my next posted EFI will include the following:

• Fix _PTS->XPTS ACPI patch (see here and here)
  • Refactor _OSI, _WAK and TPM._STA ACPI patches
  • Remove DMAR table patch
  • Upgrade to Open Core 1.0.1 (and upgrade Acidanthera kexts)

EDIT: For those who are booting Windows with Open Core, I'd be interested in knowing whether removal of the DMAR patch resolves any problems that you may have had with Windows.  After removal of this DMAR patch, all of my ACPI patches performed by Open Core should be transparent to Windows.  I am thinking about dual-booting my hack with Windows 11 and macOS on the same disk (haven't done this yet).

when you will release it, bro ?

Edited by hiphopboy

@hiphopboy Are you asking to contribute or help?  That would be great!  Please review my post here  and post your proposed EFI.  That would help me a lot.  I could review your proposed EFI to see if I have any suggested changes or additions.  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those who are interested, I answered a question about installing Intel Bluetooth for our HackMini8,1 running macOS Sonoma.  My answer is here.