[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma, Sequoia on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
961 posts in this topic

I've lost the fight to get 5120x1440@60Hz. Tried many of the options from the WEG Framebuffer, even tried mixing some, to no avail.

But i did manage to find a HP Flex IO HDMI v2, which is a HDMI 2.0 and a lot better than the DP 1.2 ports.

I've done the USB Mapping when that port had the USB-C module. I suppose i have to go through it again, but any clue how the HDMI will be "routed" to the GPU? Anyone tried that? Does macOS detect it, obviously i have to change one of the connectors to HDMI in Device Properties.

6 minutes ago, PlutoDelic said:

I've lost the fight to get 5120x1440@60Hz. Tried many of the options from the WEG Framebuffer, even tried mixing some, to no avail.

But i did manage to find a HP Flex IO HDMI v2, which is a HDMI 2.0 and a lot better than the DP 1.2 ports.

I've done the USB Mapping when that port had the USB-C module. I suppose i have to go through it again, but any clue how the HDMI will be "routed" to the GPU? Anyone tried that? Does macOS detect it, obviously i have to change one of the connectors to HDMI in Device Properties.

Do you see any difference between the HDMI and the DP ? I tried this before and it looks exactly the same. And yes, you have to adjust your device properties and usb map.

Posted (edited)

Haven't gotten the module yet, shipping.

The DP ports certainly don't show the resolution that i need (even with the known apps). It works in Windows though.

EDIT: interestingly, having only one displaying port in use seems to support hot-plug. When i tested a docking station with HDMI output (through USB-C DP ALT), none of the displays reverted signal. Each on its own (when booting so) seems to hot-plug just fine.

EDIT2: Still waiting for the delayed HDMI Module, but i did find out that compared to the two main DP 1.2 ports, the USB-C ALT mode actually has a DP 1.4. I got myself a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 converter and the plot just keeps thickening. Windows has issues with it, and drops resolution and refresh ability. macOS on the other hand is now reporting 5120x1440 through it, but whenever i switch, it crops a 32:9 resolution in the middle of the screen, and the display is reporting that the computer is on 4K. I am lost of words.

Edited by PlutoDelic
Added info

@PlutoDelic I think it would be best to create a new thread dedicated to your pursuit of 5120x1440.  After you create the new thread, post a link to your thread here and then provide your continuing updates in your new thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good day, I managed to get Sonoma 14.5 installed to my HP MP9 G4, i5 8500T, 32Gb 2666 RAM, 256Gb Samsung nvme. All seems to be working except the panic immediately after wake from sleep and I have updated the EFI to opencore 1.0.0 by the way.

Posted (edited)

@Takiller Two possible issues: 

1. This thread provides a solution for the EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini, not the MP9 G4.  I don't know the difference, but you may need to extract ACPI for your MP9 and figure out your own ACPI and USB patches.
  2. Samsung NVMe SSDs may have problems with macOS.  Read the Known Issues (search for Samsung SSD)

EDIT: @Takiller The EFI that I have provided (attached to Post #1) is updated to OC 1.0.0.

Edited by deeveedee

12 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@Takiller Two possible issues: 

1. This thread provides a solution for the EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini, not the MP9 G4.  I don't know the difference, but you may need to extract ACPI for your MP9 and figure out your own ACPI and USB patches.
  2. Samsung NVMe SSDs may have problems with macOS.  Read the Known Issues (search for Samsung SSD)

EDIT: @Takiller The EFI that I have provided (attached to Post #1) is updated to OC 1.0.0.

Guess what, I used the attached EFI in post 1 and there's no panic from sleep? I am busy trying to figure out what is the magic touch in it and thanks a lot. MP9 G4 is using the same board as the 600 G4 by the way.

16 minutes ago, Takiller said:

Guess what, I used the attached EFI in post 1 and there's no panic from sleep? I am busy trying to figure out what is the magic touch in it and thanks a lot. MP9 G4 is using the same board as the 600 G4 by the way.

Ok.  You may benefit from reading the known issues.  Since you weren't using my latest EFI, it's possible that you missed fixes provided much earlier in the evolution of my EFI.

Posted (edited)

It does appear that naive optimism was all that was required to predict that macOS 15 would support this hackMini8,1.  Here's a complete list of supposedly supported Macs in macOS 15 (Sequoia).

EDIT: Here's the official Apple announcement.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, @MacKonsti!  I'm not sure I understand your question.  Apple is including MacMini8,1 in their list of Macs supported by macOS 15 (Sequoia).  Does that answer your question?

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were let down by mentioning "It does appear that naive optimism was all that was required to predict that macOS 15" so my bad, apologies.

Hope your G4 works well with Sonoma, I tried it last weekend on a similar CPU generation but laptop and have been having some issues to resolve... I will be studying your EFI to compare line by line the options.

Thanks for posting your EFI again!

15 hours ago, deeveedee said:

It does appear that naive optimism was all that was required to predict that macOS 15 would support this hackMini8,1.  Here's a complete list of supposedly supported Macs in macOS 15 (Sequoia).

EDIT: Here's the official Apple announcement.

Superb news. I think i've seen @CloverLeaf playing around with it. Looking forward for the feedback.

They mentioned UltraWide resolutions for VisionPro, what a coincidence. /s

I don't currently have access to my EliteDesk 800 G4 or G5 Minis, so I'd love to hear Sequoia test results from others.  Has anyone tested the Sequoia installation with the OC 1.0.0 EFI attached to Post #1?  I expect that for now, you'll need to add boot-arg -lilubetaall.  Also be sure to set SecureBootModel=Disabled for the macOS installation.

Good to know.  I'd also be interested in responses from people who have the EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini for which this thread is intended.

I've sacrificed the Ventura partition to Sequoia for testing.

Installed from Sonoma to Ventura's (erased) partition, getting a few errors and reboots, will report once i find what's happening :).

EDIT: Installing through Sonoma did not work as intended. Made a USB installer but still used the main EFI for the setup, and it took a while to isolate that Bluetooth was the culprit of the issues why i could not boot past, since installation was completed.

With IntelBTPatcher, IntelBluetoothFirmware and BlueToolFixup filtered with MaxKernel 23.x, Sequoia booted fine without them.

And i have to confirm what the guys on Pre-Release are stating, for a Beta, the system is a lot more responsive than Sonoma, although the Fan is louder too on average.

Edited by PlutoDelic

On 6/3/2024 at 10:04 PM, deeveedee said:

@PlutoDelic I think it would be best to create a new thread dedicated to your pursuit of 5120x1440.  After you create the new thread, post a link to your thread here and then provide your continuing updates in your new thread.

Just reporting success on this case, and all credits go to @joevt and his immense patience with me.

I still do not understand that problem well, i'm not sure if my Display was the cause of the issue; or Apple being Apple; or just lost in translation (pun intended).

Joevt created a fork of WEG and LILU that tackled a similar problem for UltraWide, although for a real MacMini8,1. His patches were being prohibited to work on my case until we removed igfxonln=1 and igfxagdc=0.

I am still curious how everything will shape out when the HDMI Module arrives, as i plan to use my sole DP port for my main machine, and leave HackMini to one of the HDMI's (both sides).

Posted (edited)

@PlutoDelic Congrats - you found a helpful expert in joevt.  Read my methodology and known issues to understand why those boot-args are necessary for this hack.  Also, it looks like you have modified the original boot-args / NVRAM args provided in my EFI, so you removed one of my constraints on igfxonln=1.  Read more about igfxonln and igfxonlnfbs here.  If you have any more questions about this, ask them in your new thread with joevt and tag me if you think I can help.

EDIT: I misread your boot-args, so ignore my comment about modified my original boot args.  You may be able to continue use of igfxonln if you also use igfxonlnfbs to limit application of igfxonln to a specific graphics port.  Again, if you have more questions about this, post questions in your new thread and tag me if you think I can help.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:04 PM, PlutoDelic said:

Just reporting success on this case, and all credits go to @joevt and his immense patience with me.

I still do not understand that problem well, i'm not sure if my Display was the cause of the issue; or Apple being Apple; or just lost in translation (pun intended).

Joevt created a fork of WEG and LILU that tackled a similar problem for UltraWide, although for a real MacMini8,1. His patches were being prohibited to work on my case until we removed igfxonln=1 and igfxagdc=0.

I am still curious how everything will shape out when the HDMI Module arrives, as i plan to use my sole DP port for my main machine, and leave HackMini to one of the HDMI's (both sides).

HDMI module still works, no need to remove any boot-arg. but have a problem. after the sleep, must change Resolution on Display to normal color, i don't know why

• Thanks 1