Generic USB Hub Driver

garycnew

2 posts in this topic

Hi!

I recently purchased a cheap Generic USB Hub off of eBay (Re: Attached Photo) and was wondering if anyone had experience getting it to work with Catalina?  It does not show up under System Report.  It makes use of the Generic USB Hub driver; when, connected to Windows.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Gary

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Hi Hervé!

Already have the GenericUSBXHCI (v1.2.11) kext installed as it is required for the USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 (uPD720202) I am using.  With the USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 (uPD720202) and GenericUSBXHCI kext, I am able to mount USB 3.0 External Drives, directly.  However, when I introduce the Generic USB Hub to the USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 (uPD720202) and attach the same USB 3.0 External Drives--I am unable to mount the USB 3.0 External Drives.  BTW...  I have a dual-boot system and the testing previously described is within High Sierra.  Neither of the aforementioned scenarios works within Catalina.

Due to the previously described incompatibility issues within Catalina, I ordered a nanoTECH USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 (FL1100) that has native macOS support using the AppleUSBXHCIFL1100 kext.  Wouldn't you know, the nanoTECH USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 (FL1100) arrived in the mail, today, and the USB 3.0 External Drives work with and without the Generic USB Hub within Catalina; thus, resolving the original issue of this post.

I would highly recommend spending the $30 for the nanoTECH USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 (FL1100) that has native macOS support.  It will save you a ton of time and hassle over the non-native macOS USB 3.0 Expresscard 34 alternatives.

Hope this helps others in the future.

Cheers!

Gary