Catalina on Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia Graphics) With Working Sleep

deeveedee

306 posts in this topic

@vbmota I edited my previous post about Airplay after finding that Airplay does work in High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.6 on this Latitude E6410 (NVidia Graphics).  According to this post in MacRumors, AirPlay to Apple TV is no longer an option with patched legacy video after Mojave.

I am very happy with my ability to triple-boot High Sierra 10.13.6, Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.3 (hopefully soon to be 10.15.4).  I would highly recommend keeping a bootable Mojave and/or High Sierra partition if you need AirPlay.

Edited by tonyx86
Changed text to indicate that AirPlay to Apple TV is no longer an option after Mojave

I have not yet started to upgrade my Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) to 10.15.4 because there are still issues and 10.15.3 is fine for me (for now).  Here are some of the things that I think need to be considered for the upgrade to 10.15.4:

• All 3rd party kexts may need to be injected by Clover (yeah, I know.  I'm changing my position on this AGAIN).  Looks like we may not have a choice with new restrictions imposed by Apple.  If true, I will be moving all 3rd-party kexts to E/C/k/O with Clover "Inject Kexts" = YES.
  • Clover will need to be updated (r5107 at the time of this writing)
  • A new DosDude patcher will be required.  Looks like they're still trying to resolve issues
  • There is a new boot flag 'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1" that may need to be used in addition to "-no_compat_check".  This appears to be needed on a real MBP6,2, but I'm not sure if it will be needed on our hacks.
  • Like 1

@tonyx86

The internal microphone works for me with VoodooHDA after I switched "Input" to "Microphone (Digital)" in the Sound prefpane (see attached). Note that I have VoodooHDA installed via the "Legacy Clover" method (or whatever it was called), meaning that I have VoodooHDA.kext in /E/C/k/O, and no AppleHDADisabler.kext.

Untitled.png.66abdc332e4ebd8440a6ab943ebc058a.png

We will need to add "amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1" to boot-args in order for the legacy video patch to work -- that, or we'll have to disable Library verification, as seen here. I've attached a relevant dialogue from the "macOS on Unsupported Macs" Discord server; if you're also a member of that server, you can access the attached messages directly through this link.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.49.51 PM.png

Edited by unilock
  • Thanks 1

Hello again folks.

Unfortunately, even after removing my bay drive HDD, I'm still encountering spontaneous white screens -- only much less frequently. I haven't the slightest idea what the issue could be.

On an unrelated note, however, I believe I've figured out how to boot Clover in UEFI mode!

1. Erase a USB disk as GPT + FAT32 (let's call this volume "EFI-2", even though it's separate from the ESP)
  2. Manually create a Clover configuration on EFI-2, as such:
    • /EFI
      • /BOOT
        • /BOOTX64.efi (this is a renamed copy of CLOVERX64.efi -- see below)
      • /CLOVER
        • /ACPI
          • /patched (put appropriate DSDT/SSDT binaries here)
        • /drivers
          • /UEFI (put appropriate drivers here)
        • /kexts
          • /Other (put kexts here, not in /Library/Extensions ;))
        • CLOVERX64.efi (get it here)
        • config.plist (I don't believe it's necessary to change any of the configuration that we've been using for our Legacy boot setup)
  3. Reboot and press F12. You'll see an option under "UEFI Boot" named "INT(,0x80,0x13)" or something. Select that and press ENTER.
  4. Clover boots in UEFI mode! You can confirm this from the "About Clover" menu.

Now, I'm not sure how much of the above is necessary to get Clover working; I'm still messing around with this.
Perhaps, if we format the USB disk to have two partitions -- the first FAT32, 200MiB; the second HFS+, taking up the rest of the drive -- we could then manually install Clover on the FAT32 partition as described above, and run createinstallmedia on the HFS+ partition in order to create a traditional hackintosh setup drive.

Or, if that causes the drive to no longer be recognized by the E6410's horrible UEFI implementation, we could just run createinstallmedia on a separate HFS+ formatted USB disk.

On a semi-related note, I've been trying to replace Clover with OpenCore on my E6410. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I can say that at least the boot picker works. Apparently, people generally don't think to run OpenCore on an Arrandale system...

EDIT: I just saw that there's a new DosDude Catalina Patcher v1.4.  Will try again later with the new patcher. Leaving this for historical purposes.

I have attempted to install 10.15.4 using DosDude Catalina Patcher 1.3.5, but have not been successful.  The Catalina installer fails with the attached error.  I have tried multiple USB thumb drives, played with multiple kext installation strategies, tinkered with Clover, but no luck.  Any ideas?  If not, will wait for 10.15.5 and try again.

thumbnail_IMG_0988.jpg

Edited by tonyx86

EDIT3: This is fixed in CLOVER r5109.

--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT2: This r5108 bug appears to be resolved in a new commit after r5108 was released (not yet merged).  The bug was introduced after r5107, as r5107 does not have this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------

I have found that something about CLOVER r5108 does not agree with the Latitude E6410 NVidia graphics.  When attempting to install Catalina 10.15.3 with CLOVER r5108, blackscreen after Catalina installation is complete.  I have reverted to CLOVER r5103 until I figure this out.

EDIT: I completed a Catalina 10.15.3 installation with CLOVER r5103.  The installation completed without issues.  I then upgraded to CLOVER r5108 and rebooted to a black screen.  There's something wrong with CLOVER r5108 on this Latitude E6410.

Edited by tonyx86
Added link to Clover issue
  • Thanks 1

I am not able to apply 10.15.4 to my Latitude E6410.  I have attempted with different USB thumb drives, different USB ports, tweaks to CLOVER config.plist. Nothing works for me - I always get the error above.  I have tried DosDude patcher versions after 1.30 including 1.4 and 1.4.1.  Has anyone succeeded in applying 10.15.4 to their Latitude E6410?

thumbnail_IMG_0988.jpg

EDIT2: I have upgraded to Lilu.kext 1.4.3.  The attached archive still includes Lilu.kext 1.4.2.

EDIT: My current EFI and /L/E is attached.  Note that you will need to move your kexts to E/C/k/O on your USB installer for the upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------

The 10.15.4 update was problematic.  I'm not sure it completed successfully, even though my version is now 10.15.4.  I simply followed my install instructions in Post #1 and ignored the errors.  After the installation was complete, I deleted '/System/Volumes/Data/macOS Install Data.'  

I am currently running Clover (Legacy) r5109.

E6410-Catalina-4v1.zip

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.08.57 AM.png

Edited by tonyx86
Added E6410-Catalina-4v1.zip attachment

The new AppleALC.kext v1.4.8 supports a new boot argument

• Support startup delay for AppleHDAController via alc-delay property or alcdelay boot-arg (in ms)

This may be the solution needed for AppleALC.kext to be installed on this Latitude E6410 while preventing the interference with Wi-Fi startup.

VoodooHDA.kext is fine for me, so if you experiment with this, please report your findings.  Thank you!

• Like 1

EDIT: Despite the 10.15.4 installation errors, 10.15.4 is running well on this Latitude E6410.  I no longer have reservations about installing 10.15.4.

------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who want to attempt the Catalina 10.15.4 upgrade from 10.15.3 (despite the installer errors), here are my upgrade steps:

• Backup your Catalina/Catalina-Data volumes
  • Create Catalina 10.15.4 installer USB using DosDude Catalina Patcher 1.4.1 (or later) and Catalina 10.15.4.02 (or later).  Note that 10.15.4.02 was released soon after 10.15.4.01.
  • Install Clover r5109 (or later) on the USB thumb drive
  • Copy the EFI attached to Post #1 to your USB EFI and copy all kexts from the LE folder attached to Post #1 to E/C/k/O in the USB EFI.  Be sure to replace ### MASKED ### values in config.plist with your own values.  All of your 3rd-party kexts should be in E/C/k/O on the USB installer.
  • Remove LegacyUSBInject.kext and SIPManager.kext from the USB /Library/Extensions folder
  • Modify the USB installer's CatalinaPatcherFlags.plist (use XCode) so that shouldAutoApplyPostInstallPatches and shouldUseAPFSBooter are both NO (default is YES)
  • Boot your Latitude E6410 from the USB thumb drive (press F12 and select USB)
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on the USB
  • At the Catalina macOS Utilities screen, select "Reinstall macOS"
  • Ignore the error "An error occurred while preparing the installation" and reboot from your USB thumbdrive
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on your destination drive's Catalina Data volume (not the installer on the USB).  The installer will apply the 10.15.4 update.
  • Ignore the error "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk" and reboot from your USB
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on the USB (not on the Catalina Data volume)
  • At the Catalina macOS Utilities screen, select "macOS Post Install" and click Continue
  • Make sure your upgraded Catalina volume is the destination volume (click Change if necessary) and select ONLY the following patches
    • Install Patch Updater
    • Legacy Video Card Patch
    • Library Validation Disabler Patch
  • Click Apply Patches
  • Reboot from your USB (not yet from your SSD) and boot from your upgraded Catalina volume
  • Sign-in with Apple ID (if you're prompted to enter your iPhone PIN and/or Setup iCloud keychain, skip this for now)
  • If prompted to re-install any DosDude patches, re-install them but don't restart yet
  • Confirm your macOS version is now 10.15.4 (About This Mac)
  • Install Clover (LEGACY - not UEFI) r5109 (or later) on your SSD
  • Add boot-arg amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 to your SSD's config.plist
  • Remove the following kexts from /Library/Extensions
    • LegacyUSBInjector.kext
    • LegacyUSBVideoSupport.kext
    • SIPDisabler.kext (this shouldn't be installed unless you selected wrong DosDude patches)
  • Rebuild kextcache (sudo kextcache -i /) and confirm that all 3rd-party kexts are "allowed"
  • Reinstall VoodooHDA.pkg (customize install, selecting only Catalina Classic method)
  • Delete '/System/Volumes/Data/macOS Install Data' (which is left because of the install error)
  • Reboot from your upgraded Catalina Partition
  • Welcome to Catalina 10.15.4

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 8.07.05 AM.png

Edited by tonyx86
Added note about Clover LEGACY - not UEFI

EDIT: I have found that Microsoft Office 16.36 apps (e.g. Word) don't start without boot-arg 'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1'  I originally thought that this boot-arg could be removed after installation, but it appears that we must keep the boot-arg 'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1' after installation of 10.15.4 on our old hacks.

Edited by tonyx86

I am currently running with Catalina 10.15.4 and Clover r5112.  This Latitude E6410 is perfect.  I am extremely impressed with @Slice's Clover team for the incredible work on Clover.  If you look at github, you'll see that the Clover team has been spending many hours on refining the Clover bootloader.  I am now running 10.15.4 and Clover r5112 on my HackPro5,1 and this HackBookPro6,2 and both boot fast and run great!

Edited by tonyx86

@vbmota I think my cpu fan runs less and system temps seem cooler with 10.15.4, but I can't be certain.  What are your idle temps?  My typical idle temps (as seen with HWMonitor) are attached.

If you post your gen_debug files captured with Black.Dragon's tool, I can take a look.

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 7.18.57 PM.png

Edited by tonyx86

Now that I installed the sensors cpu and gpu, it seems normal, like 50ºC.

But I never see my GPU at HWMonitor and Hackintool it do not show fully supported. 

It says Decoder Failed. But... if I apply the dosdude after install legacy video patch, my screen blinks and get a strange behavior. Never works to be honest. But hackintool says it is fully supported.

Do you know how to undo a dosdude legacy video patch? 

I suspect you have other things installed (maybe NVidia web driver?) that is different from the minimal installation I specified in Post #1.  Can't tell without your debug files.

You should be able to uninstall DosDude patch by reinstalling Catalina.  Don't install the Post Install patches after you install Catalina.

OK.  Post your latest debug files and I'd be happy to take a look.  Might be something we missed before.  Also confirm that your BIOS settings are exactly as I specified in Post #1.

A new candidate DSDT for the Latitude E6410 is attached. Details below.  

Catalina 10.15.4 continues to work flawlessly for me on my Dell Latitude E6410.  I have experienced NO issues following the upgrade. The apps I use most frequently are Xcode 11.4, Visual Studio / Xamarin and MS Office 16.36.  I have unsuccessfully experimented with AppleALC.kext and the alc-delay boot-arg, but none of the delays I tried fixed the "Wi-Fi" delay issue with AppleALC.  I continue to run with VoodooHDA and it works great.

There is an unknown Device (A_CC) in the original Latitude E6410 DSDT.  It is the Drive Freefall Sensor.  The MacBookPro6,2 has a motion sensor Device (SMS0).  The attached DSDT changes Device (A_CC) to Device (SMS0).  It also completely reverts Device (HPET) to the original unmodified version (except that _STA is always 0xF) as I was experimented with changes to HPET while unsuccessfully attempting to get AppleALC.kext working.

DSDT.zip

On 4/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, vbmota said:

No, I just install the OS and dont applied the video patch and never web drivers.

When I applied it my video always got this behavior.

I remember that you and others experience a problem when Device (PNLF) was present in the DSDT.  Try removing Device (PNLF) from the DSDT to see if that fixes your display problems.  I added this (AGAIN) when I was fix sleep and sleep on lid closure.