Customized OpenCore with additional features

n.d.k
1,348 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, btwise said:

@ndk

UiScale, background, font, selector,Label,text_scaling,icon_scaling,alpha and other parameters are suggested to use themes.plist unified control, do not use PNG filename control!

Eventually, some of these options are no longer needed/optional, such as:

UIScale was there because of Icons was 128px by default and image quality of scaling up for 4k screen was affected. But now all icons are 256px by default, scaling up are no longer needed, and scaling down is not an option but mandatory since Icons will be too big for non 4k screen.

Background.png is now auto scaled to fit the screen with the same aspect ratio if used, no size matching is required anymore, but preferably for quality. If background.png is not found, then background_color.png color sample will be used.  So there is no option needed here.

Font.png and font_color.png work the same way as background, and can be changed according to user preference. 

Selector.png is used if found else won't be used, simple as that, no option needed.

Label.png is a background image for label under the icons, which will be used if found.

Text scaling should not be an option since it will be too tiny/big to read for 4k/non screen, and will be auto scaling up/down based on screen resolution with reasonable proportion.

Alpha setting will be a thing in the past and will not be used/optional.

The reason for auto UIScaling based on screen resolution is simple, users don't have to change the UIScaling every times, a new monitor with different resolution is plugged in.

The goal is no settings are needed, it just works!

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

@NDK Label of entry like this,, 

My notebook screen is 1366 x 768. Try with change background.png to 1366 x 768 but problem still persist

IMG_4137.png

For low resolution, turn off the label "No_label.png" to fall back to the old style.

PS. Latest commit will use old label style in middle by default for low res screen.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, n.d.k said:

For low resolution, turn off the label "No_label.png" to fall back to the old style.

PS. Latest commit will use old label style in middle by default for low res screen.

Sorry for stupid question,, how can i "turn off the label "No_label.png"????

10 hours ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Sorry for stupid question,, how can i "turn off the label "No_label.png"????

Just rename the Label.png to No_label.png, but you don't have to do that anymore with latest commit, it's auto turn off for your low screen resolution.

• Like 3

Hi @n.d.k

I just build latest NDK-OC: commit 4afdd9f. I use Ui without selector: HitBox works correctly. It seems that Selector.png must be presentto be fully effective. 

I don't understand why all icons are highlighting (or seems to be) on my screen 1920*1080. So it's more difficult to see which ones are selected.

ScreenShot-2020-03-20-154503.png

Edited by Matgen84

13 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @n.d.k

I just build latest NDK-OC: commit 4afdd9f. I use Ui without selector: HitBox works correctly. It seems that Selector.png must be presentto be fully effective. 

I don't understand why all icons are highlighting (or seems to be) on my screen 1920*1080. So it's more difficult to see which ones are selected.

You don't use selector, what u expect? lol...just kidding..

With the latest commit, the apha effect are dropped and no longer use in favor of rendering all icons at its original color when not selected and when selected, the color saturation will be increased to make the color look brighter and popped out.  See the different in color between selected and non-selected icon below:

screenshot.png.e379c3ec2f08cd0729c31e29f44c89ac.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, n.d.k said:

You don't use selector, what u expect? lol...just kidding..

With the latest commit, the apha effect are dropped and no longer use in favor of rendering all icons at its original color when not selected and when selected, the color saturation will be increased to make the color look brighter and popped out.  See the different in color between selected and non-selected icon below:

Thanks for this explanation and the commit :) So the selector is now mandatory. It would be useful to have a changelog for modifications. We can't guess :P just kidding...

Edited by Matgen84

34 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Okay, just compiled the latest build (0.5.7) for NDK Opencore, and using the debug version, I can't boot.  System stops at this error:

ASSERT_EFI_ERROR (Status = Invalid Parameter)
10:178 00:006 ASSERT [OpenCore] /Users/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/OpenCorePkg-master/edk2/MdePkg/Library/UefiMemoryAllocationLib/MemoryAllocationLib.c(813): !EFI_ERROR (Status)

Any thoughts out there as to what this might be causing this error? (0.5.6 working just fine....)

The assert error is from free memory function (Freepool). 

Sometimes, you have to delete the old build folder, which located in edk2/build/OpenCorePkg, for it to generate the new one. I just tested the debug version just now, it's working fine.

ScreenShot-2020-03-25-152742.thumb.png.536ac5eedf9481df75fe226a774ac678.png

36 minutes ago, btwise said:

You mean:

Bin2C.exe myfont.png myfont

And then get myfont.h and myfont.c files?

There should be an instruction on the site.

38 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Thanks for responding so quickly.  My motherboard is an X299 (a Sage).  And, just to so you know, when I compile the Opencore application, I don't keep the old folders.  I delete them, and load a new one every time, so the edk2 folder is brand new and the download from github was done this morning.  Any other ideas?  Is there a new quirk in 0.5.7 (or an old one from 0.5.6) that might relate to this issue (Freepool)?

I am also running 10.15.4 the released verson.

Is there any chance you don't have font.png file in Icons folder? if you don't have a font.png file in Icons folder and running a debug version, you'll get that error, so make sure it's there.

PS.  Here's some tip related to error from bootpicker and unable to boot.  If you don't already know, you can bypass the bootpicker by using hotkey x to boot directly into mac and fix your error.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, n.d.k said:

There should be an instruction on the site.

How did you generate the PNG font image? My intention is to create a Chinese font library that contains what I need, but it cannot be displayed correctly!

21 hours ago, Ellybz said:

@n.d.k

After last commit, the previous "pixelization' around circle icons finally disappeared. Great job :weight_lift:

ScreenShot-2020-03-25-195938.thumb.png.bfb9653aac6f4ca1167c42769cd1c62b.png

ScreenShot-2020-03-25-201143.thumb.png.2d5ccec3cc1bf93a123a320f8f502f3c.png

Please provide me your entire icon folder i love it and i appreciate your hard work