Customized OpenCore with additional features

n.d.k
1,348 posts in this topic

I am on OpenCore 0.5.6

- Built NdkBootPicker.efi using ./ndk-macbuild.tool and copied it (from the Release Folder Alias) into EFI/OC/Drivers

- Added the entry for NdkBootPicker.efi into the UEFI Drivers section of config.plist

- Copied the Icons folder to EFI/OC

- Changed PickerType to External

OC still shows it's internal Boot Picker.

Changed UsePicker to NO. Still OC shows it's internal Boot Picker.

Resized the Background image to match my 4K monitor resolution. Nada.

I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong here so any advice is welcome :D 

Edited by WizeMan

38 minutes ago, WizeMan said:

I am on OpenCore 0.5.6

- Built NdkBootPicker.efi using ./ndk-macbuild.tool and copied it (from the Release Folder Alias) into EFI/OC/Drivers

- Added the entry for NdkBootPicker.efi into the UEFI Drivers section of config.plist

- Copied the Icons folder to EFI/OC

- Changed PickerType to External

OC still shows it's internal Boot Picker.

Changed UsePicker to NO. Still OC shows it's internal Boot Picker.

Resized the Background image to match my 4K monitor resolution. Nada.

I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong here so any advice is welcome :D 

Try again with NdkBooterPicker.efi v0.1.4 from Release page in GitHub repo

https://github.com/n-d-k/NdkBootPicker/releases

16 minutes ago, WizeMan said:

I started off with the .efi from the release without any luck. Then built it like I described on my previous comment. I am probably doing something else wrong.

First, do you reset NVRAM from Picker!. Can you share your EFI folder (config.plist without serial....). 

Edited by Matgen84

1 minute ago, Matgen84 said:

First, do you reset NVRAM from Picker!. Can you share your config.plist (without serial....). 

I did reset and NVRAM from picker, also did a full NVRAM reset with the battery removal method. No luck. I'll scratch it a little bit more when I get back at my hack and I'll post any progress. Thanks @Matgen84

1 minute ago, WizeMan said:

I did reset and NVRAM from picker, also did a full NVRAM reset with the battery removal method. No luck. I'll scratch it a little bit more when I get back at my hack and I'll post any progress. Thanks @Matgen84

Removing battery does not reset nvram, it only reset CMOS.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WizeMan said:

Start with DEBUG version, change the Target in config to 67, and check the log file under the ESP partition after startup to get a detailed error, which should be ndkbotpicker.efi is not loaded!

27 minutes ago, Pavo said:

I did a Clear NVRAM from OC's BootPicker too, though. 

13 minutes ago, btwise said:

Start with DEBUG version, change the Target in config to 67, and check the log file under the ESP partition after startup to get a detailed error, which should be ndkbotpicker.efi is not loaded!

Will do.

By the way I noticed that something flashes for a fraction of a second before the OC's picker appears. Took a video and made out a screenshot out of it. The message reads: 

No schema for UsePicker at 9 index!

So what I did was build OC from the master branch and updated BOOTx64.efi and OpenCore.efi and it worked. I guess the OC version I had was a tid older, did not support UsePicker yet.

ScreenShot-2020-02-28-162038.png

Thanks for your time and effort @texem@Matgen84, @btwise, @Pavo

Edited by WizeMan
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Pavo said:

After reboot BIOS will find clear CMOS and will restore NVRAM to initial state.

Modern BIOSes must keep too many information to be fitted into CMOS but they required a user to be able to reset it. So user will clear CMOS and then BIOS will clear and restore NVRAM.

• Like 4

@ndk

After updating to the latest version, I want to experience the sound effect of the boot interface, but I found that it could not play. After getting the log, I found that the prompt was not supported. I wonder if this is my sound card model not supported?

image.thumb.png.248a22609aac1aca44f7f20c93eff848.png

My sound card model is like this!

image.png.d6d94106c692368bf5073862961c009c.png

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

@n.d.k

1183753221_2020-02-2918_05_13.png.08b3849fc3f1c8c441c4ba0e5292ccfc.png

You don't need to build this driver separately, because NvmExpressDxe.efi build in bundle with OpenCore v0.5.4+

Was the verbose showing problem on OC NvmExpressDxe Driver solved?...I think it need a buildoption flag -DMDEPKG_NDEBUG to suppress the verbose showing when driver load..at least on my system.

Edited by n.d.k

33 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Was the verbose showing problem on OC NvmExpressDxe Driver solved?...I think it need a buildoption flag -DMDEPKG_NDEBUG to suppress the verbose showing when driver load..at least on my system.

There had never been a "verbose" problem. Debug drivers (DEBUG and NOOPT) produce verbose output, all of them: NvmeExpressDxe, AudioDxe, XhciDxe, even OpenCore itself (unsurprisingly). This is expected and normal, you build a debug version exactly to troubleshoot and see the verbose. Release drivers do not. Therefore what your tool does is basically borking the debug builds of these drivers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

There had never been a "verbose" problem. Debug drivers (DEBUG and NOOPT) produce verbose output, all of them: NvmeExpressDxe, AudioDxe, XhciDxe, even OpenCore itself (unsurprisingly). This is expected and normal, you build a debug version exactly to troubleshoot and see the verbose. Release drivers do not. Therefore what your tool does is basically borking the debug builds of these drivers.

Then maybe it's not related to that switch, but the OC NvmeExpressDxe.efi release version did give me a couple verbose lines when the driver is loading while the one that was build from this fork does not...maybe you can check out the build description to see what's different. https://github.com/n-d-k/NvmExpressDxePkg/blob/master/NvmExpressDxePkg.dsc

Edited by n.d.k

38 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

The only warnings I see there are:

* NvmeControllerInit: failed to enable 64-bit DMA (%r)

* NVME: ResetNotification absent! Shutdown notification cannot be performed.

Have you seen one of the two?

I think, it was it! https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/af51cb48a22d4135db48ed784dbb6bbbea9c15b5/MdeModulePkg/Bus/Pci/NvmExpressDxe/NvmExpressHci.c#L781

Edited by n.d.k

2 hours ago, n.d.k said:

Try to build Ndkbootpicker with ./ndk-macbuild.tool but i got this error problem. I have delete Ndkbootpicker folder and made git clone again. But still same error log

image.thumb.png.74e242b648d8d8761c6190abb00bfb04.png

2 hours ago, n.d.k said:

And for your comment here 

, i have tested version 0.1.5 from Release Version and problem still persist.

I have 4 entry with "HideAuxiliary = Yes",
1. Windows 10 Enterprise
2. macOS Mojave
3. macOS Catalina

4. Linux Mint

But, Voice Assistant said wrong order, "4 (Four) macOS Catalina" and "6 (six) for Linux Mint"

It's still read entry order with actually entry (show Auxillary Entry)
1. Windows 10 Enterprise
2. macOS Mojave

3. Recovery Image of Mojave
4. macOS Catalina
5. Recover Image of Catalina
6. Linux Mint

7. Custom Tool

Sorry for bad english

22 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Try to build Ndkbootpicker with ./ndk-macbuild.tool but i got this error problem. I have delete Ndkbootpicker folder and made git clone again. But still same error log

OC recently merged OcSupportPkg to OpenCorePkg, So NdkBootPicker source code need to be changed to reflect merge, just use Binary Release for now.