AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Locked Down said:

If everything is running fine then there is no need to update. There are always risks when updating the BIOS so only update it if it adds things you would benefit from, or removes a problem.

@gibbo592  Contrary to what that dude just said I would highly advise updating to the bios and profile I posted. I listed the reason why in the same post.

The year is not 2001 and there’s really no danger or risk in updating a bios now days plus you have a little thing called a dual bios on master so you can revert to the backup bios in the unlikely event of the bios corrupting but I think your chances of being hit by lightning are greater then a bios flash borking your motherboard. It’s safe as houses and won’t corrupt your system in anyway unless your dam unlucky and the benefits from the hackintosh point of view are big and plenty so go for it if you want to. ;) 

On 7/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, Locked Down said:

@AudioGod's one is probably a generic one that covers loads of different systems. The one you created is probably specific to your motherboard, so will not have all the bloatware needed to cover multiple systems.

It is usually best to create SSDT's specific to your own system (MB) rather than use generic ones if possible, as they will be a lot smaller and load quicker. If you are unsure in what you are doing at any point then just sticking with the generic ones will be fine most of the time.

That is totally and completely incorrect Mr Locked Down. My ssdts are pulled directly from my board and made only for the master with no generic ssdt or examples used.  

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, AudioGod said:

@gibbo592  Contrary to what that dude just said I would highly advise updating to the bios and profile I posted. I listed the reason why in the same post.

The year is not 2001 and there’s really no danger or risk in updating a bios now days plus you have a little thing called a dual bios on master so you can revert to the backup bios in the unlikely event of the bios corrupting but I think your chances of being hit by lightning are greater then a bios flash borking your motherboard. It’s safe as houses and won’t corrupt your system in anyway unless your dam unlucky and the benefits from the hackintosh point of view are big and plenty so go for it if you want to. ;) 

That is totally and completely incorrect Mr Locked Down. My ssdts are pulled directly from my board and made only for the master with no generic ssdt or examples used.  

Chill out dude.

I said that if the update adds nothing then there is no point updating, which there isn't. If it does add something then obviously there would be a point in updating. The bios you quoted, F11e, is for the Z390 Master, the poster quoted the "Gigabyte ga-z170x ud5 th" in his post so F11e bios, and your settings profile, is no good for him. A risk for no point is also pointless. Also, plenty of people knacker their motherboards attempting a bios update and the manufacturer advises against it unless absolutely necessary - they should know.

Re the SSDT, the poster said that his differed from yours. If you had both done them from the same MB then they should be pretty much the same, if not identical. That is why I asked him how it differs. Not having both, or any actually, of those 2 SSDTs I couldn't check myself, hence asking him what the differences are. It is natural to assume that one MAY be a generic one if they differ wildly, I didn't say that yours was definately generic. I wasn't criticising you, just wondering where the differences were.

1 hour ago, Locked Down said:

Chill out dude.

I said that if the update adds nothing then there is no point updating, which there isn't. If it does add something then obviously there would be a point in updating. The bios you quoted, F11e, is for the Z390 Master, the poster quoted the "Gigabyte ga-z170x ud5 th" in his post so F11e bios, and your settings profile, is no good for him. A risk for no point is also pointless. Also, plenty of people knacker their motherboards attempting a bios update and the manufacturer advises against it unless absolutely necessary - they should know.

Re the SSDT, the poster said that his differed from yours. If you had both done them from the same MB then they should be pretty much the same, if not identical. That is why I asked him how it differs. Not having both, or any actually, of those 2 SSDTs I couldn't check myself, hence asking him what the differences are. It is natural to assume that one MAY be a generic one if they differ wildly, I didn't say that yours was definately generic. I wasn't criticising you, just wondering where the differences were.

Holly Cow! 

I beg you don’t be telling me to chill out seeing I didn’t say anything wrong to start with but since you have....

Your the one that needs to chill out dude and untwist you’re knickers as I never attacked you I just meant you were incorrect with your assumption,

Also he used the example SSDT to create hes and again il repeat myself but I did mine from scratch using no guides or examples and mine is based on MaLd0ns way of doing it and not Acidanthera way so no they probably won’t be the same as I used a different method and way to create it.

as for the bios I already explained in an earlier post why I recommend it so for you to advise after that not to do it or suggest it brings nothing to the table didn’t really make much sense to me but whatever.

You would have to be extremely thick or stupid (I don’t mean you) to bork a Z390 Master Bios considering it’s a dual bios and can be reverted with ease. My real job is a system installer and Audio/Visual Engineer plus I also do custom builds for clients and manufactures for Displays and shows so I’m heavily connected to all the major players out there company wise and I like to think I know what I’m talking about  (That or i am a dam good blagger, take your pick...lol)

Manufactures recommend not using XMP as it voids the warranty of the cpu if you do so does that mean you leave XMP off too seeing intel advise against using it?

Also for the record gigabyte say no such thing about bios updates in this modern day and age and if you don’t believe me speak to a gigabyte engineer and find out for yourself. 

Gibbo might have a z170 listed but he also uses a z390 Master, I know this as I have helped him out a few times before so yes it’s totally relevant for him my friend. 

Anyway Big Love Man, Big Love....I don’t want beef please mate so let’s just leave it there, smile and be cool ok. ;) 

Toddles isn’t it? Hmmmmmm I think so :hysterical:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 4

On 7/20/2020 at 8:13 PM, AudioGod said:

Holly Cow! 

I beg you don’t be telling me to chill out seeing I didn’t say anything wrong to start with but since you have....

Your the one that needs to chill out dude and untwist you’re knickers as I never attacked you I just meant you were incorrect with your assumption,

Also he used the example SSDT to create hes and again il repeat myself but I did mine from scratch using no guides or examples and mine is based on MaLd0ns way of doing it and not Acidanthera way so no they probably won’t be the same as I used a different method and way to create it.

as for the bios I already explained in an earlier post why I recommend it so for you to advise after that not to do it or suggest it brings nothing to the table didn’t really make much sense to me but whatever.

You would have to be extremely thick or stupid (I don’t mean you) to bork a Z390 Master Bios considering it’s a dual bios and can be reverted with ease. My real job is a system installer and Audio/Visual Engineer plus I also do custom builds for clients and manufactures for Displays and shows so I’m heavily connected to all the major players out there company wise and I like to think I know what I’m talking about  (That or i am a dam good blagger, take your pick...lol)

Manufactures recommend not using XMP as it voids the warranty of the cpu if you do so does that mean you leave XMP off too seeing intel advise against using it?

Also for the record gigabyte say no such thing about bios updates in this modern day and age and if you don’t believe me speak to a gigabyte engineer and find out for yourself. 

Gibbo might have a z170 listed but he also uses a z390 Master, I know this as I have helped him out a few times before so yes it’s totally relevant for him my friend. 

Anyway Big Love Man, Big Love....I don’t want beef please mate so let’s just leave it there, smile and be cool ok. ;) 

Toddles isn’t it? Hmmmmmm I think so :hysterical:

Woah, I wasn't attacking you, just pointing out the obvious. He mentioned the Z170 board in his post - hence your BIOS update was not for him.

Everybody is free to update their BIOS as they wish but if it doesn't add anything for you then why bother. For example, off the top of my head, my Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard (an old machine that I use as an unraid server) is running F15. There is a newer BIOS, F16a that adds "Workaround beta BIOS to improve Kingston DDR4-2666 stability concern on some specific memory chip suppliers" and "Add NTFS format support for Q-Flash™"

I don't us Kingston DDR4-266 memory in it and I'm not bothered about NTFS support for Q-Flash. Therefore there is no point in me updating to that version.

A screen shot from Gigabyte with the warning :-

Click to choose files 464274224_Screenshot2020-07-21at23_37_42.thumb.png.d627a0298ed3e7a799030e7b5ae85107.png

I know that it is highly unlikely that anything really terminal would happen but there is always a chance, especially with my luck. :lol:

What has a cat to do with anything? (Toddles isn’t it? Hmmmmmm I think so :hysterical:)

This is my final say on the matter and I'm cool, so let both of us be cool. :)

@Locked Down Sweet buddy but the reason I recommend and highly advise moving over to bios F11e or above is for many important reasons that I will list for you now.

1. The serial port can be disabled (macOS has no idea what it is and it causes conflicts to usb and the Apple Watch unlock feature)

2. MSR Unlock is baked into the bios so you can enable it or disable it with one click and no tricks. (F11j)

3.  Fusion is baked in to the bios finally so you can do whatever to the lighting without needing windows. (F11j)

4. And this is a huge one, the vcore fluctuations are finally fixed and you get a nice steady voltage.

5. All the missing settings that disappeared from F9 up have been restored.

reasons 1 and 2 alone should be a end all be all in the matter from a macos point of view but reason 4  and 5 are massive too from a overclocking and vcore point of view.

also he didn’t mention the z170 it’s just in he’s signature nothing else buddy. Check any of hes posts and it will list hes z170 board after hes comment.

of course anybody is free to update or not update the firmware but for the above reasons is why I totally and utterly recommend it.

Gigabyte have to put that warning up to cover there behinds as we both know how many people don’t have a clue about what they are doing but try and do it anyway. :hysterical: Talk to gigabyte engineer and your get a different story from them. 

Oh and one more thing, from a clover angle it’s vital to use the firmware I say to use with my clover EFI otherwise the dsdt is incorrect for the firmware.

that’s it from me about it and I hope this sheds light on upstanding where I am coming from. Peace

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kolutshan said:

On top of these already good points comes another: all the security patches (microcode updates) for intel based CPUs which came via firmware updates and are recommended by basically everyone.

Absolutely, That is also a very good and important point bud. 
Thank you. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 3

Hey I hope somebody can help, I have an Z390 Aorus Master, i9 9900k, 5700 XT. Bios is at f11c and also using the cfg unlock profile. Everything seems to work however, I get no sound out of the rear line out, only works if using the front 3.5mm. In windows there is no issue at all. Every now and then it will work after boot, but tends to stop working after a few mins and have to plug speakers back into the front jack.

Anyone come across this? 

p.s. I am using all of AudioGods Opencore EFI, BIOS Profile etc etc so should be identical system.

8 minutes ago, kirkfletcher said:

Hey I hope somebody can help, I have an Z390 Aorus Master, i9 9900k, 5700 XT. Bios is at f11c and also using the cfg unlock profile. Everything seems to work however, I get no sound out of the rear line out, only works if using the front 3.5mm. In windows there is no issue at all. Every now and then it will work after boot, but tends to stop working after a few mins and have to plug speakers back into the front jack.

Anyone come across this? 

p.s. I am using all of AudioGods Opencore EFI, BIOS Profile etc etc so should be identical system.

silly question but have you got the output selected called internal speakers in macOS?

also does this happen with a cold boot into macOS or does it happen when you restart from windows to macOS?

Spoiler

1144996663_Screenshot2020-07-22at20_09_56.png.1fa774a0f939d0a5506ad4609e0437fb.png

666850579_Screenshot2020-07-22at20_10_08.png.17a0b2c052c7812ede4de5166cc87ac9.png

Edited by AudioGod

3 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

silly question but have you got the output selected called speakers in macOS?

also does this happen with a cold boot into macOS or does it happen when you restart from windows to macOS?

Yeah shows as "internal speakers", If I do a cold boot 50% of the time they will work but then only for 10-15 mins max then nothing.

If I unplug "internal speakers" disappears, and plug back in the reappear, so auto sensing is working just no audio. If I plug into the front jack they show as "headphones" and always work

Edited by kirkfletcher

5 minutes ago, kirkfletcher said:

Yeah I slipped haha, have edited now. Sorry :-(

Ok so boot into windows and then uninstall the Realtek drivers and restart back into windows and then let windows install its own default drivers for the internal card and your problems should be solved.

The Z390 Master has a separate DAC and macOS has no idea what it is but doesn't see it on a cold boot but if moving from windows to macOS the DAC stays enabled because of windows and stops sound working in macOS.

Removing the Realtek drivers stops the DAC from working altogether and it should solve the problem for you. :thumbsup_anim:

Make sure you fully shutdown before booting into macOS again after the drivers have been changed.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Ok so boot into windows and then uninstall the Realtek drivers and restart back into windows and then let windows install its own default drivers for the internal card and your problems should be solved.

The Z390 Master has a separate DAC and macOS has no idea what it is but doesn't see it on a cold boot but if moving from windows to macOS the day stays enabled because of windows and stops sound working in macOS.

Removing the Realtak drivers stops the day from working altogether and it should solve the problem for you. :thumbsup_anim:

Humm, I didn't install any audio drivers for windows so should have only the default drivers anyway. 

For clarity, I only just swapped the mobo today, was using a Z370P D3 with i3 8350k, today I swapped out with the Aorus master and the i9 9900k. I didn't do any resinstall of any of my OS's. Just ditched the EFI I was using and swapped out for yours (including changing the bios to f11c and using your profile)

Edited by kirkfletcher

Just now, kirkfletcher said:

Humm, I didn't install any audio drivers for windows so should have only the default drivers anyway. 

For clarity, I only just swapped the mobo today, was using a Z370P D3 with i3 8350k, today I swapped out with the Aorus master and the i9 9900k. I didn't do any resinstall of any of my OS's. Just ditched the EFI I was using and swapped out for yours (including changing the bios to f11c and using your profile)

Ah ok, That might be your problem in that case. You might need to do a reinstall in that case as the only problems with audio that I know of with the internal card his what I described above.

• Thanks 1

Also just noticed that USB3 drives don't seem to work, USB2 drives are fine. I think something is not quite right here.

Just now, AudioGod said:

Ah ok, That might be your problem in that case. You might need to do a reinstall in that case as the only problems with audio that I know of with the internal card his what I described above.

Yeah I'm starting to think that a reinstall is in order!

Also not sure if its related but I made a small tweak to the plist and used MacPro7,1 smbios instead of the two you defined in your guide.

3 minutes ago, kirkfletcher said:

Also just noticed that USB3 drives don't seem to work, USB2 drives are fine. I think something is not quite right here.

Yeah I'm starting to think that a reinstall is in order!

Also not sure if its related but I made a small tweak to the plist and used MacPro7,1 smbios instead of the two you defined in your guide.

yep big ops as the usb.kext is for 19,1 only. you need to edit it or make a new one for 7,1

I might have one already let me check.

give me a moment or 2

• Thanks 1

@kirkfletcher Your in luck. 

Here you go try this :) 

SMBIOS 7,1 USBPorts.kext.zip

iMacPro 1,1 might be a better option for you than 7,1 bro. I have a ready made 1,1 OC EFI on page one.

OpenCore 059 Z390 Master 1,1 010620.zip - OpenCore v0.5.9, SMBios iMacPro1,1 (IGPU Disabled)

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@kirkfletcher Your in luck. 

Here you go try this :) 

SMBIOS 7,1 USBPorts.kext.zip

iMacPro 1,1 might be a better option for you than 7,1 bro. I have a ready made 1,1 OC EFI on page one.

Just out of curiosity, why would 1,1 be better. I was kind of working off the assumption that as the 7,1 is a proper modular system with expandable pcie etc where as the 19,1 would be more akin to a laptop on steroids.

7 minutes ago, kirkfletcher said:

Just out of curiosity, why would 1,1 be better. I was kind of working off the assumption that as the 7,1 is a proper modular system with expandable pcie etc where as the 19,1 would be more akin to a laptop on steroids.

1,1 works better then 7,1 at this moment in time but in the future that may change.

19.1 is the most complete setup of the 3 as everything works including sidecar but 1,1 is my personal favourite.

refresh this page and check my last post to you as I have put up my 1,1 EFI for you to use instead. :) 

Sorry to answer your question your semi correct in your assumption but 7,1 is flaky and the pci slots page doesn't work at all and it has many problems. 19,1 is not like a laptop setup no, having the igpu enabled lets quick sync and sidecar work with no loss or gains in performance unless your using a Radeon VII and then the gpu gets held back by the igpu.

1,1 is silky smooth all the way but no sidecar and that's it. 

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

1,1 works better then 7,1 at this moment in time but in the future that may change.

19.1 is the most complete setup of the 3 as everything works including sidecar but 1,1 is my personal favourite.

refresh this page and check my last post to you as I have put up my 1,1 EFI for you to use instead. :) 

Ok thanks for that buddy, I did start with the 1,1 smbios, but will give it another go (and not change to 7,1). Cant thank you enough for your help. Really appreciate your time :-)

• Like 1

Just out of interest I tried the 7,1 usb kext first and it worked beautifully, even fixed the audio issues which I am guessing was something to do with the usb bus knocking out the integrated sound. Also added the macpro memory notification disabler to remove the memory warnings. Seems really stable so far. I’ll test for a few more days and if I notice anything odd I’ll try 19,1 or 1,1. Again thanks for all the help.

6 minutes ago, kirkfletcher said:

Just out of interest I tried the 7,1 usb kext first and it worked beautifully, even fixed the audio issues which I am guessing was something to do with the usb bus knocking out the integrated sound. Also added the macpro memory notification disabler to remove the memory warnings. Seems really stable so far. I’ll test for a few more days and if I notice anything odd I’ll try 19,1 or 1,1. Again thanks for all the help.

Good Stuff bud,

don’t get me wrong 7,1 works just fine but your notice the little things as the days go on. 1,1 acts exactly the same but with none of the quirks of 7,1 and that is why I advise 1,1 over it. 

1,1 scales the cpu frequency perfectly aswell where as 7,1 doesn’t go all the way down on idol with the frequency. 

TBH any of the 3 smbios will work well it’s just down to personal preference and how bad you have OCD really....:hysterical:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AudioGod said:

Good Stuff bud,

don’t get me wrong 7,1 works just fine but your notice the little things as the days go on. 1,1 acts exactly the same but with none of the quirks of 7,1 and that is why I advice 1,1 over it. 

ok noted, I’ll keep an eye out. Even the smallest things can bother me so I guess I’ll try 1,1 the second I notice anything. 

• Like 1