AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, AudioGod said:

Hi, yes you can no problem there with a fresh install and Clover, OpenCore of NDKs fork of OpenCore are all solid as a rock so you can use any of the EFIs with no problem what so ever.

Could you do me a massive favour please and remove your post as your spamming my thread by replying with the 1st page guide pinned to it when I have a major update notice just posted so I would really appreciate it if you can at least remove the pin of my guide from your post so it doesn't swamp my notice and saves me having to post it again.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Sorry for that, did not mean to do that;  I have deleted my post and thank you so much for your feedback. I have been reading OpenCore basics and guidelines and so on to get myself familiarized and educate myself with latest breakthroughs :D Cheers!!

1 minute ago, anannyo said:

Sorry for that, did not mean to do that;  I have deleted my post and thank you so much for your feedback. I have been reading OpenCore basics and guidelines and so on to get myself familiarized and educate myself with latest breakthroughs :D Cheers!!

No problem what so ever my friend :)

With my OpenCore EFI i have done most of the work for you so it’s as close to plug and play as you can get making it nice and easy for you to use.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

No problem what so ever my friend :)

With my OpenCore EFI i have done most of the work for you so it’s as close to plug and play as you can get making it nice and easy for you to use.

Yeah, I am gonna use yours for sure :D I am trying to learn as best as I can so that I do it properly as I want to use this build for video editing workstation and need it as stable and solid with video editing and Pro apps as possible. By the way, which z390 motherboard will be best for the i9-9900k and Radeon VII build in your opinion? As you are best at this stuffs and have far better knowledge and experience, I will love to run by first about the motherboard choice :D 

Also I see there is 2 kind of EFI: WITH and WITHOUT DSDT. Which one is more stable and will give more performance for pro apps? And which SMBios should I go for this build? Some is saying will get better rendering result with iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled. What do you suggest?

Edited by anannyo

4 hours ago, anannyo said:

Yeah, I am gonna use yours for sure :D I am trying to learn as best as I can so that I do it properly as I want to use this build for video editing workstation and need it as stable and solid with video editing and Pro apps as possible. By the way, which z390 motherboard will be best for the i9-9900k and Radeon VII build in your opinion? As you are best at this stuffs and have far better knowledge and experience, I will love to run by first about the motherboard choice :D 

Also I see there is 2 kind of EFI: WITH and WITHOUT DSDT. Which one is more stable and will give more performance for pro apps? And which SMBios should I go for this build? Some is saying will get better rendering result with iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled. What do you suggest?

with a Radeon VII I would use iMacPro1,1 for sure as you will gain nothing other then sidecar with the igpu enabled and quick sync will be slower then leaving it all for the Radeon VII to do on it’s own so yeah for sure 1,1 is the correct way Togo for yourself.

As for DSDT vs no DSDT, Well the DSDT gives you the perfect hackintosh under the hood as well as what you see and use. I’m not saying that not using a DSDT is less stable though it’s just more of a complete solution to use it then to not,

Clover is still king bootloader simply because it’s not in a beta phase and changing on a monthly basis and has been great for many many years and will continue to do so for many more to come. OpenCore is my personal favourite of all the bootloaders but I see it from a different angle as i enjoy the beta phase and development of the bootloader and i love to tinker and test things so it’s all fun and games for me.

The bottom line is all 3 variants of the bootloader are fantastic now and your spoilt for choice, if you don’t mind with the fact that how OpenCore is today will not be how it is in a month from now and so and enjoy a bit of tinkering then go the OC or NDK OC way but if you just want to install your os and forget about it and crack on and do your work and earn money and not worry about your bottloader then go clover for now and wait till OpenCore settles down and comes out of beta and turns into a real release.

Sorry I forgot to say, Good motherboards for a good hackintosh too for me as a overclocker too I love the Z390 Master or designare if you want thunderbolt. Asus Hero XI is solid but the onboard audio can be on the noisy side. 
They are my three fav z390 board generally though and the VRMs on the two gigabytes boards are fantastic and that’s a huge bonus for long hard renders concerning stability. :) 

I hope that big chunk of nerd info helps you out buddy...:startreck::hysterical:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AudioGod said:

with a Radeon VII I would use iMacPro1,1 for sure as you will gain nothing other then sidecare with the igpu enabled and quick sync will be slower then leaving it all for the Radeon VII to do on it’s own so yeah for sure 1,1 is the correct way Togo for yourself.

As for DSDT vs no DSDT, Well the DSDT gives you the perfect hackintosh under the hood as well as what you see and use. I’m not saying that not using a DSDT is less stable though it’s just more of a complete solution to use it then to not,

Clover is still king bootloader simply because it’s not in a beta phase and changing on a monthly basis and has been great for many many years and will continue to do so for many more to come. OpenCore is my personal favourite of all the bootloaders but I see it from a different angle as i enjoy the beta phase and development of the bootloader and i love to tinker and test things so it’s all fun and games for me.

The bottom line is all 3 variants of the bootloader are fantastic now and your spoilt for choice, if you don’t mind with the fact that how OpenCore is today will not be how it is in a month from now and so and enjoy a bit of tinkering then go the OC or NDK OC way but if you just want to install your os and forget about it and crack on and do your work and earn money and not worry about your bottloader then go clover for now and wait till OpenCore settles down and comes out of beta and turns into a real release.

Sorry I forgot to say, Good motherboards for a good hackintosh too for me as a overclocker too I love the Z390 Master or designare if you want thunderbolt. Asus Hero XI is solid but the onboard audio can be on the noisy side. 
They are my three fav z390 board generally though and the VRMs on the two gigabytes boards are fantastic and that’s a huge bonus for long hard renders concerning stability. :) 

I hope that big chunk of nerd info helps you out buddy...:startreck::hysterical:

Thank you so so much!! Your well detailed explanation on every topic just made more sense and everything clear to me!! And I will definitely prefer DSDT because I want prefer perfect hackintosh and performance over anything else for sure! Truth to be told, I am thinking to have multiple MacOs setup: on one drive to use as stable workstation and on another drive for testing and tweaking to discover more the power and stability that can be achieved with my build. Although it won't be everyday but will from time to time when a breakthrough or something exciting with hackintosh rolls out! At the end of the day, it is about utilizing my build at highest level and therefore will have to keep playing and be in the loop to make it happen! I will definitely go for either Z390 Master or designare depending on the one that I can get my hands on faster :D

Edited by anannyo
  • Like 1

As a thank you for the help, and for other to use. Here is something pointless but fun.

Meant for 4K displays and to replace the Aorus boot logo. 

Here are 4 images I made to match the actual boot logo image almost pixel perfect size and placement. (images are tall because the Aorus logo is offset from vertical center)

The graphics card and monitor could also be factor that doesn't make it fit perfectly. I have an RX580, and 4K LG monitors, so if you have anything new from AMD, result should be the same.

Actual images are in the attached zip file.

Three requirement: 

- Must have Windows installed

- Bios must be set to "WHQL", otherwise image is stretched, just like the original Aorus logo (at least on the Aorus Ultra), but already that way in the guide, so you should be set

Boot -> Windows 8/10 Features -> Win 8/10WHQL

- OpenCore config "UIScale" must be set to 02 instead of the default 01 if using an editor like ProperTree

NVRAM -> Add -> 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14 -> UIScale)

(if using a text editor then data value should be <data>Ag==</data>)

To do the actual replacement of the image, download the @BIOS utility from the official gigabyte page of your motherboard (Downloads -> utilities -> @BIOS)

(you also need to install the APP Center if you don't have it, from the same download page, used to change motherboard colors, and fan speed among other things in windows, so you might already have it) 

(once installed and running, in the utility the fifth tab, Face Wizard, is for boot image replacement, you can also back up the original logo)

I claim no responsibility if something goes wrong, but being an official gigabyte tool and I did the change at least 10 time to get it right, risks are very low.

If you don't feel confident about doing this, then don't do it.

cheers

boot_preview.jpg.e49bfce7e5dad421dada722fbb306683.jpg

images.zip

Edited by Squirrelf
  • Like 4

OK, so as I am gonna get Gigabyte Z390 Master or Designare for sure; I have decided to create the bootable macOS Catalina USB installer and I have done the following things so far:

1) I have downloaded the Catalina installer from App Store on my Mac and followed @glasgood's guide to create the bootable macOS Catalina USB installer

2) I have downloaded @AudioGod's latest EFI zip: Clover Z390 Master Navi Vega 19,1 EFI 060420.zip; mounted the hidden EFI partition on the macOS USB Installer using Clover Configurator; copied and pasted EFI folder into EFI partition of the macOS USB Installer. However, there were 2 hidden files in the EFI partition by default (as you can see in the attached screenshot) and I did not touch them.

3) I have changed the SMBios from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 using the Clover Configurator and clicked RtVariables, generated new ROM ID and copied the Board Serial Number from SMBIOS and pasted it into MLB on preexisting config.plist in the @AudioGod's latest EFI folder.

4) I have deleted agdpmod=pikera from Boot Arguments as I am gonna use Radeon VII GPU and saved the config.plist and left everything as it was setup. I have ejected the bootable macOS Catalina USB installer as I believe the installer is ready to install the MacOS Catalina on my new build? 

5) Next, I am gonna flash the Aorus Z390 Master (as I am 70% into getting it over Designare due to concern with availability) bios to revision F11c with the one contains in mb_bios_z390-aorus-master_f11c.zip.

6) Then I am gonna unlock the CFG using F11c MSR Unlocked Profile.zip and following the guideline "The Easy Way" made by @AudioGod.

7) I won't have to make any changes in BIOS settings except changing the Aperture Size to 512GB as the BIOS settings pre done and saved onto the F1 1c MSR Unlocked Profile.

8) By the way, I am gonna use Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe SSD. Will I need to update latest Samsung firmware?

I believe if I do everything right and if everything I mentioned above are right; rest are pretty simple and straight forward with running the installation and making the internal drive bootable. Please let me know if I missed something and need to do anything else. Cheers!! :D

EFI-partition-screenshot.png

@anannyo yep your on the right road and everything looks good to me, by the look of it your going to have a trouble free install as you have done your ground work well, well done :)

Do make sure you update the 970 plus to it’s latest firmware (that’s very important).

Good luck and let me know how you get on when you do it,

P.S. Great Choice of Motherboard ;)

when you have it let me know and I will PM you a newer beta firmware for the board and MSR Unlock profile Togo with it. :thumbsup_anim: 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@anannyo yep your on the right road and everything looks good to me, by the look of it your going to have a trouble free install as you have done your ground work well, well done :)

Do make sure you update the 970 plus to it’s latest firmware (that’s very important).

Good luck and let me know how you get on when you do it,

P.S. Great Choice of Motherboard ;)

when you have it let me know and I will PM you a newer beta firmware for the board and MSR Unlock profile Togo with it. :thumbsup_anim: 

Awesome!! Really happy that all of the efforts so far are paying off!! Yep, gonna get Gigabyte Z390 Master definitely and will update the 970 plus to latest firmware. And yes, all the way yes to beta firmware for the board and MSR Unlock profile :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, anannyo said:

OK, so as I am gonna get Gigabyte Z390 Master or Designare for sure; I have decided to create the bootable macOS Catalina USB installer and I have done the following things so far:

Just something to take into consideration in case you go with a hot processor (9900K) and use air-cooling, like the massive Noctua NH-D15 , the slot for the graphics card is closer to the CPU on the Designare, compared to the Master, so make sure you have clearance.

if you go water-cooling, or smaller heatsink then no issues whatsoever.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Squirrelf said:

Just something to take into consideration in case you go with a hot processor (9900K) and use air-cooling, like the massive Noctua NH-D15 , the slot for the graphics card is closer to the CPU on the Designare, compared to the Master, so make sure you have clearance.

if you go water-cooling, or smaller heatsink then no issues whatsoever.

Hey @Squirrelf, thank you so much for your feedback. I am gonna use Corsair H150i Pro Liquid Cooler for this build. On top of that, a CPU air-cooling fan is massive and powerful compared to GPU fans; so all the dust and hot air get pressed into graphics card fans and make it all jammed up easily on the long-run. That was one of the main consideration for choosing the Air Cooler :D

Edited by anannyo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, anannyo said:

Hey @Squirrelf, thank you so much for your feedback. I am gonna use Corsair H150i Pro Liquid Cooler for this build. On top of that, a CPU air-cooling fan is massive and powerful compared to GPU fans; so all the dust and hot air get pressed into graphics card fans and make it all jammed up easily on the long-run. That was one of the main consideration for choosing the Air Cooler :D

If your gonna use a Corsair AIO then make sure you do not connect it to the internal usb header as it will break sleep. Lucky the usb connection has no use unless your using icue in windows.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

If your gonna use a Corsair AIO then make sure you do not connect it to the internal usb header as it will break sleep. Lucky the usb connection has no use unless your using icue in windows.

I don't know but Corsair AIO always seems problematic in a hack, had one (still got it) but installed a NZXT Krakken connected to an internal usb header, runs perfect. RGB controllable on Windows only but settings remain when switched over to OS X.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

yeah, I can confirm that Corsair is a pain in the a** with USB header connected. I set to static blue (from Win) and disconnected the cable. Since then it is working like a charm!

@AudioGod quick question - after a year of not working sleep  mode I decided to change my Wifi card (I suspect my PCIex board - not wifi car itself causing wakes) but question is - when the new card will arrive -  are internal USB's set to 255 or should I mess with them to avoid self-wakes?

Edited by lygi

9 minutes ago, lygi said:

yeah, I can confirm that Corsair is a pain in the a** with USB header connected. I set to static blue (from Win) and disconnected the cable. Since then it is working like a charm!

@AudioGod quick question - after a year of not working sleep  mode I decided to change my Wifi card (I suspect my PCIex board - not wifi car itself causing wakes) but question is - when the new card will arrive -  are internal USB's set to 255 or should I mess with them to avoid self-wakes?

did you ever try AirportBrcmFixup.kext to see if it fixes sleep?

The internal usb hub is already set at 255 in all my EFIs so no need to worry about anything like that.

what make and model is the problem card and what slot are you plugging it into on the board?

are you using any other PCIe lanes from anywhere?

Edited by AudioGod

Don't want to confuse or mislead anyone but some schools of thought say to Enable above '4G Decoding' in the BIOS to install and run OC so like a sheep I followed the herd and that is how my setup is on NDK OC. Don't know if it's correct but all seems to be well for the short space of time I've been using this fork of OC. Every single works as should - Wake/Sleep, iMsg/F-Time, Apple TV - Haven't tried Netflix in Safari so don't know on that score but if things remains as it is now, I'm happy.

Here is the piece I read - The definition of “Above 4G decoding” is to allow the user to enable or disable memory mapped I/O for a 64-bit PCIe device to 4GB or greater address space. Also Please enable this function when using multiple graphics cards. 

Edited by eSaF

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

22 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I don't know but Corsair AIO always seems problematic in a hack, had one (still got it) but installed a NZXT Krakken connected to an internal usb header, runs perfect. RGB controllable on Windows only but settings remain when switched over to OS X.

Thank you @AudioGod and @eSaF, I have crossed off Corsair AIO from my shopping list. What do you guys think about Thermaltake Floe DX RGB 360 TT Premium Edition? Basically I am looking for three fans model and NZXT kraken x62 is only one available from NZXT brand at the moment that I will be able to get fast. Please suggest the tested water cooling that you think will be painless for the Hackintosh build. Because I am gonna use only MacOS in my build, stopped using Windows long time ago :D

5 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Don't want to confuse or mislead anyone but some schools of thought say to Enable above '4G Decoding' in the BIOS to install and run OC so like a sheep I followed the herd and that is how my setup is on NDK OC. Don't know if it's correct but all seems to be well for the short space of time I've been using this fork of OC. Every single works as should - Wake/Sleep, iMsg/F-Time, Apple TV - Haven't tried Netflix in Safari so don't know on that score but if things remains as it is now, I'm happy.

Here is the piece I read - The definition of “Above 4G decoding” is to allow the user to enable or disable memory mapped I/O for a 64-bit PCIe device to 4GB or greater address space. Also Please enable this function when using multiple graphics cards. 

above 4G being enabled has been a requirement for my EFIs for a mighty long time now.

• Like 3

Just now, anannyo said:

Thank you @AudioGod and @eSaF, I have crossed off Corsair AIO from my shopping list. What do you guys think about Thermaltake Floe DX RGB 360 TT Premium Edition? Basically I am looking for three fans model and NZXT kraken x62 is only one available from NZXT brand at the moment that I will be able to get fast. Please suggest the tested water cooling that you think will be painless for the Hackintosh build. Because I am gonna use only MacOS in my build, stopped using Windows long time ago :D

Don't know about that one AG maybe able to help you there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, anannyo said:

Il be honest about AIOs 90% of them be it Corsair , Thermaltake or NZXT all come out of the same factory in China so they all work just as well as each other or within a nice close margin anyway so just go for one that is simple and doesn’t bork macOS. Corsair do a X series that’s the same aio minus any usb connection, Any NZXT will work. Thermaltake should work but there rgb hubs can by a pain in the behind.

stick to the H150i as it’s a good AIO and just don’t use the usb connection to the board apart from when you set its curves and colours in windows. Once you have done that disconnect it from usb and forget about it.

it will serve you well and Corsair have a great warranty service.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Il be honest about AIOs 90% of them be it Corsair , Thermaltake or NZXT all come out of the same factory in China so they all work just as well as each other or within a nice close margin anyway so just go for one that is simple and doesn’t bork macOS. Corsair do a X series that’s the same aio minus any usb connection, Any NZXT will work. Thermaltake should work but there rgb hubs can by a pain in the behind.

Ok thanks @AudioGod, I will go for NZXT, be it NZXT kraken x73 or x63 or x62. I also don't want any component that will be pain in the behind or cause any headache :D

• Haha 1

If your going to run macOS only and want rgb going on in your build in any form them keep it as simple as you can for example get rgb stuff that can be controlled without any software needed and that way your have no problems with macOS and still have the freedom to do anything you like rgb wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

If your going to run macOS only and want rgb going on in your build in any form them keep it as simple as you can for example get rgb stuff that can be controlled without any software needed and that way your have no problems with macOS and still have the freedom to do anything you like rgb wise.

Truth, I don't care about RGB; I only care about best performance. But the stores have the good coolers in RGB form mostly; also the companies are making them in RGB form :( 

5 minutes ago, anannyo said:

Truth, I don't care about RGB; I only care about best performance. But the stores have the good coolers in RGB form mostly; also the companies are making them in RGB form :( 

that’s not correct, if you dig around your find non rgb versions of most coolers.

corsair do the X series that have no usb or rgb function and I think NZXT have a range too that’s minus the rgb or check EK aswell as they have a couple of aios now too.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1