AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, matt-uk said:

Hi

Is there an easy guide for which ports can be used with the provided EFI and included DSDTs. I was sure i had seen a diagram but can't find it now - perhaps that was another post i was reading.

Any guidance on which ports are active and which aren't would be appreciated. I am actually going to put covers on the unused ports so it is clear they are not active.

Are only specific SATA headers and USB headers on the board also active or are they all good to go?

Sorry if this is a stupid question or I have missed the info elsewhere.

Matt

Hi @matt-uk

At the first page of this thread, @AudioGod post the EFI folder (Clover and Opencore) and instructions for setting the BIOS. Each folder contains USBPorts.kext for Z390 Aorus Master.
After installation, if you want to use another USB setting, you've to use Hackintool.app (search the thread on this forum).

Hi everyone, I would like to ask the community something to try to solve a problem with my build...

Randomly, it happens that sometimes when I start Catalina I get this error... (attached you can see the photo)

Aborted Returned from boot.efi

I need to restart the PC sometimes even 2 or 3 times and everything goes perfect...

It does it randomly and I managed to have the error in verbose mode...

I entirely use the precious @audiogood's last Clover configuration with the same efi folder, bios config etc...

Thank you all and I hope to receive community help.

My Build:

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z390 Aourus Master

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KS

Memory: 128 GB (4x32) Corsair 3200 MHz XMP to 3600 MHz

GPU: Xfi Radeon VII

PSU: Corsair RM 850x

Cooling System: Noctua nh-D15 s

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1tb (Catalina) + Sansisk 300s 256 GB (Windows)

HDD Storage: 3x 10TB Hitachi Helium HDD

Screen: LG 49WL95C 5K

IMG_0490 2.jpg

On 6/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, gadam90 said:

Hi everyone, I would like to ask the community something to try to solve a problem with my build...

Randomly, it happens that sometimes when I start Catalina I get this error... (attached you can see the photo)

Aborted Returned from boot.efi

I need to restart the PC sometimes even 2 or 3 times and everything goes perfect...

It does it randomly and I managed to have the error in verbose mode...

I entirely use the precious @audiogood's last Clover configuration with the same efi folder, bios config etc...

Thank you all and I hope to receive community help.

My Build:

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KS

Memory: 128 GB (4x32) Corsair 3200 MHz XMP to 3600 MHz

GPU: Xfi Radeon VII

PSU: Corsair RM 850x

Cooling System: Noctua nh-D15 s

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1tb (Catalina) + Sansisk 300s 256 GB (Windows)

HDD Storage: 3x 10TB Hitachi Helium HDD

Screen: LG 49WL95C 5K

IMG_0490 2.jpg

I can also confirm that issue. I am strugling with it for a couple of days now. I didn't find any solution yet :-/

I have been reseting Bios many times, removing battery etc. Now I've loaded @AudioGod's bios profile but still have this issue. My plan for today is to disconnect all SSD/HHD except one for Catalina, clear Bios once again by removing battery, load audiogod's profile and try clean install of 10.15.5 but my hopes are minimal. 

My Build:

MacOS Catalin 10.15.5 (19F101)

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K

Memory: 64 GB (4x16) Kingston HyperX  XMP 3200 MHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+ 8GB GDDR6

WIFI/Bluetooth: Fenvi T919 PCIe BCM94360CD

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

Cooling System: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

SSD: 2 x Samsung 500GB M.2 PCIe NVMe 970 EVO (Catalina) + (Windows)

HDD Storage: Crucial 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD MX500 +  2 x 4TB Seagate HHD + 1 x 2TB WD Blue HDD

Screen: Dell P2715Q

IMG_20200626_222048.jpg

Edited by gajosr

1. Am I correct in assuming I can safely remove AppleALC.kext if I have my audio hardware disabled in BIOS and am not using anything in macOS? I have an external audio setup via USB which is fully compatible with macOS, and I use that.

Edit:

2. Since I use a fully compatible Wi-Fi/BT board from an iMac via PCI, I assume I can remove the Broadcom fix too?

3. And since I'm not using AppleALC.kext, I can also remove the alcid=16 argument from boot option, right?

Edit 2:

To check the laggy UI update, I installed a fresh copy of Catalina on an external drive. Same exact behaviour.

Lag / stutter / slow / low fps are currently visible in 3 situations that I found:

a. When the OS is logging a user in.

b. When the OS is showing the password box after a screen saver starts and I want to end it (password protection enabled).

c. When I grab e.g. a Finder window and jiggle it around the screen.

All this is noticeably worse than on Mojave and I regret upgrading. Any tips to return to Mojave-like performance welcome and TIA.

Edited by M0r1d1n

32 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

To check the laggy UI update, I installed a fresh copy of Catalina on an external drive. Same exact behaviour.

Lag / stutter / slow / low fps are currently visible in 3 situations that I found:

a. When the OS is logging a user in.

b. When the OS is showing the password box after a screen saver starts and I want to end it (password protection enabled).

c. When I grab e.g. a Finder window and jiggle it around the screen.

All this is noticeably worse than on Mojave and I regret upgrading. Any tips to return to Mojave-like performance welcome and TIA.

OK I just found a weird thing.

I turned off Bluetooth (I use a Magic Trackpad and MX Master 3 for Mac), and dragging a window around the screen stopped lagging. The lag still persists on the screen savers though and during login. What the actual...

Further tests:

Lags / stutter are most visible when using the MX Master 3 for Mac, less so with the Magic Trackpad, and not there with a USB Mouse (Razer).

Edited by M0r1d1n

2 hours ago, gajosr said:

I can also confirm that issue. I am strugling with it for a couple of days now. I didn't find any solution yet :-/

I have been reseting Bios many times, removing battery etc. Now I've loaded @AudioGod's bios profile but still have this issue. My plan for today is to disconnect all SSD/HHD except one for Catalina, clear Bios once again by removing battery, load audiogod's profile and try clean install of 10.15.5 but my hopes are minimal. 

My Build:

MacOS Catalin 10.15.5 (19F101)

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K

Memory: 64 GB (4x16) Kingston HyperX  XMP 3200 MHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+ 8GB GDDR6

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

Cooling System: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

SSD: 2 x Samsung 500GB M.2 PCIe NVMe 970 EVO (Catalina) + (Windows)

HDD Storage: Crucial 1TB 2,5" SATA SSD MX500 +  2 x 4TB Seagate HHD + 1 x 2TB WD Blue HDD

Screen: Dell P2715Q

So I've installed fresh copy of Catalina 10.15.5 with AudioGod Bios profile. Bios was cleared before with battery removing. When I've hit F12 for boot option selection I've found 3 empty entries in bios boot menu. I added tools to Clover with UEFI shell. After displaying list options with command

bcfg boot dump -v

under UEFI Shell I saw that there is entry for Windows Boot Manager and some Mac OS X entry. I've removed Option  01 for Windows Boot Manager only and restarted. Then after hitting F12 there were still 2 empty entries. When I open UEFI Shell once again and displayed list options it shows that boot option 0000 can't be displayed. I exited UEFI shell and done another restart after which I chose those 2 empty entries in F12 menu. After that I entered BIOS and quit without saving. Now I only see one option in F12 boot menu just for my UEFI OS on SSD NVMe (Clover) 

I have one SSD NVME just for Catalina installed actually. So far no issue with starting boot.efi. Will do some tests for a longer time to see if it stays like this. Maybe when I connect some additional storage (Windows SSD NVMe) something wrong in going on?

IMG_20200627_221327.jpg

2 hours ago, M0r1d1n said:

OK I just found a weird thing.

I turned off Bluetooth (I use a Magic Trackpad and MX Master 3 for Mac), and dragging a window around the screen stopped lagging. The lag still persists on the screen savers though and during login. What the actual...

Further tests:

Lags / stutter are most visible when using the MX Master 3 for Mac, less so with the Magic Trackpad, and not there with a USB Mouse (Razer).

Fixed it! NVRAM reset solved all the issues. OMG finally!

Found the culprit. I accidentally booted into macOS with both my displays turned on. When they're on, everything works perfectly. When not, it doesn't. Just confirmed by switching my other display off. Not sure what to do now.

Edited by M0r1d1n

24 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

Fixed it! NVRAM reset solved all the issues. OMG finally!

Found the culprit. I accidentally booted into macOS with both my displays turned on. When they're on, everything works perfectly. When not, it doesn't. Just confirmed by switching my other display off. Not sure what to do now.

Hey @M0r1d1n

In the last 2 hours i have been noticing the same. When i would move my mx master mouse to dismiss the screensaver it would stutter, then delay as i was inputting the password. I noticed that each time i clicked the mouse when the password field showed, the screensaver animation would stutter.

I have been trying to unlpug things, re-plug things, etc to diagnose with lots or restarts. It is working fine again now but i have no idea what caused it. I have now got the logitech dongle in a different usb port - not sure if that had something to do with it. I have three monitors, and if i turn one off i do experience stutter, but this seemed to be something different and seems to be keyboard/mouse/dongle/logitech software related.

Are you using a logitech unifying dongle? If so which port is it plugged in to?

For further problem solving or diagnosing - the only thing different i had doen today, apart from the dongle being plugged in somewhere different is to add 3 new hard drives -   for timr maching, 1 for an ubuntu install and 1 for a windows install. I did worry one of these may have messed things up even through they are on seperate SSDs and were installed with my macOS nvme unplugged.

12 minutes ago, matt-uk said:

I have been trying to unlpug things, re-plug things, etc to diagnose with lots or restarts. It is working fine again now but i have no idea what caused it. I have now got the logitech dongle in a different usb port - not sure if that had something to do with it. I have three monitors, and if i turn one off i do experience stutter, but this seemed to be something different and seems to be keyboard/mouse/dongle/logitech software related.

Are you using a logitech unifying dongle? If so which port is it plugged in to?

For further problem solving or diagnosing - the only thing different i had doen today, apart from the dongle being plugged in somewhere different is to add 3 new hard drives -   for timr maching, 1 for an ubuntu install and 1 for a windows install. I did worry one of these may have messed things up even through they are on seperate SSDs and were installed with my macOS nvme unplugged.

Yeah I spent all day modifying anything I could think of ...

I am using an MX Master 3 for Mac — it only uses BT and is supposedly fully compatible with Macs. I uninstalled its software and disconnected the mouse.

Will first test more with changing ports and maybe use an HDMI cable for my Alienware. I basically have 2 screens — 1x EIZO 32" for work and 1x Alienware 240Hz for gaming. I only use one or the other, so I just turn off the one I'm not using. Will test different ports and disconnecting one of them too.

Let me know if you find anything.

One thing that I do have, since you mentioned HDDs, is a software RAID (mirror) of 2x 4 TB HDDs for my archival stuff.

35 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

Will first test more with changing ports and maybe use an HDMI cable for my Alienware. I basically have 2 screens — 1x EIZO 32" for work and 1x Alienware 240Hz for gaming. I only use one or the other, so I just turn off the one I'm not using. Will test different ports and disconnecting one of them too.

OK this is something I hadn't checked on Catalina before now — System Information does not list the iGPU 630 in the Graphics/Displays section. It is however visible in the PCI section. Anyone have any idea if this is correct? I'm pretty sure both showed up under Graphics/Displays under Mojave.

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 01.03.45.png

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 01.01.57.png

47 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

Let me know if you find anything.

One thing that I do have, since you mentioned HDDs, is a software RAID (mirror) of 2x 4 TB HDDs for my archival stuff.

Thought i was working again - i'm not - still same stuttering issue. This seems to have started again after i left my computer for a long period of time and the screens had truend off. It hadn't gone to sleep though - power lights were still on.

It is odd that it hadnt gone to sleep - perhaps because Time Machine is busy encrypting the 6tb hdd I had added earlier.

Tomorrow i'm going to remove the time machine hdd, see if it sleeps properly and if the log on screen keeps stuttering when i use the mouse or keyboard.

17 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

OK this is something I hadn't checked on Catalina before now — System Information does not list the iGPU 630 in the Graphics/Displays section. It is however visible in the PCI section. Anyone have any idea if this is correct? I'm pretty sure both showed up under Graphics/Displays under Mojave.

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 01.03.45.png

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 01.01.57.png

In mine all is showing as you can see below, but maybe it is because I only have IGPU...

Captura de ecrã 2020-06-28, às 02.20.31.png

Captura de ecrã 2020-06-28, às 02.21.01.png

17 minutes ago, matt-uk said:

Thought i was working again - i'm not - still same stuttering issue. This seems to have started again after i left my computer for a long period of time and the screens had truend off. It hadn't gone to sleep though - power lights were still on.

I don't think it's the HDDs. Since the 630 iGPU is responsible for all the animations, I'm guessing it could be a configuration problem in Open Core. Maybe @AudioGod can chime in. Or perhaps a bug in Catalina.

16 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

In mine all is showing as you can see below, but maybe it is because I only have IGPU...

Yes. Supposedly if I set my iGPU as a primary display in BIOS, it would show up there properly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M0r1d1n said:

Booted with both displays on this morning, but it the UI and screen saver password screens were laggy again. Absolutely no clue why it was fine yesterday but not today.

@M0r1d1n - some more trouble shooting

Okay - i know this is all guess work at the moment but reporting back my findings today.

With my internal SATA 6TB WD Red HDD plugged in the computer would after 15 minutes (As per the energy saving settings) turn off the monitors but power would stay on which i think is because it is busy encrypting the Time Machine HDD (takes a long time) so it is in 'Power Nap'.

Once it has had a Power Nap, every time the screensaver comes on and the logon screen comes up there is stutter and lag when moving the mouse, clicking a button or typing, once i get past the logon screen everything is fine.

Today i have unplugged the HDD and now after 15 minutes the computer sleeps properly - the power light goes off and it is in full sleep. When i wake it everything is fine and there are no issues at the logon screen.

I will keep the Time Machine drive unplugged today to see if the issue returns. If that is the reason i wonder if it will be solved once the HDD stops its encryption or if disabling the 'Enable Power Nap' option in Energy Saver will help. those will be my next tests if i go all day without issues with the HDD unplugged today.

Edited by matt-uk
  • Like 1

@matt-uk

I'm still looking through everything I can think of and I have been unable to once again reproduce a no-stutter/lag/choppy UI state. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitors, resetting NVRAM, restarting and various other things.

One question for @AudioGod — why doesn't your OpenCore 0.5.9 config not contain a SSDT-EC-USBX.aml or SSDT-USBX-aml? OC Guide still says we should add the latter even if there is no EC.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm open!

12 hours ago, M0r1d1n said:

@matt-uk

I'm still looking through everything I can think of and I have been unable to once again reproduce a no-stutter/lag/choppy UI state. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitors, resetting NVRAM, restarting and various other things.

One question for @AudioGod — why doesn't your OpenCore 0.5.9 config not contain a SSDT-EC-USBX.aml or SSDT-USBX-aml? OC Guide still says we should add the latter even if there is no EC.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm open!

Im doing all the power scaling for usb via the kext itself So no need for usbx and You don’t need SSDT EC on the Z390 master or pro. If it did the system wouldn’t boot fella. 
I don’t know why you have glitchy wiresless happening but have you tried moving the combo card to a different slot?

the bottom 2 slots work the best with a combo card. Also if your using a fermi T919 or any other fermi card then these cards cause untold trouble as I’ve seen time and time and time again.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

I don’t know why you have glitchy wiresless happening but have you tried moving the combo card to a different slot?

the bottom 2 slots work the best with a combo card. Also if your using a fermi T919 or any other fermi card then these cards cause untold trouble as I’ve seen time and time and time again.

Wireless is fine. I ran my OSX-WiFi card with and without the AirPordBCMfix-thingy and it works in both scenarios. The card is in the bottom slot IIRC.

Not using a Fermi T919.

The problem at the moment is UI choppiness / lag / stuttering, which is especially evident when entering the password when the screen saver is running.

21 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

Wireless is fine. I ran my OSX-WiFi card with and without the AirPordBCMfix-thingy and it works in both scenarios. The card is in the bottom slot IIRC.

Not using a Fermi T919.

The problem at the moment is UI choppiness / lag / stuttering, which is especially evident when entering the password when the screen saver is running.

That’s is strange yeah, I read your posts today.

have you tried running at bare bones to see if it’s a device causing the trouble?

have everything removed bar your gpu combo card and keyboard and mouse, even disconnect any hard drives that aren’t connected to the macOS install and test from there. If it works then add back devices until you hit the problem device.

13 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

That’s is strange yeah, I read your posts today.

have you tried running at bare bones to see if it’s a device causing the trouble?

have everything removed bar your gpu combo card and keyboard and mouse, even disconnect any hard drives that aren’t connected to the macOS install and test from there. If it works then add back devices until you hit the problem device.

Thanks for confirming my USB + EC suspicions btw.

I have not yet had the time.

I have:

- Dual monitors — 4K EIZO + 240Hz Alienware

- 2x SSD (NVMe for Mac, SATA for Win10) + 2x HDD.

- 1x OSX-WiFI PCI card

- 1x USB Mouse, 1x BT Mouse, 1x Magic Trackpad

- 1x Logitech BRIO 4K webcam

- 1x EIZO USB hub (in display)

- 1x RX 580

- 1x USB-C custom-built keyboard

1. So I should just disconnect everything, leave GPU + 1x display, and test that?

2. Which mouse should I use? I can connect Magic Trackpad + Magic Keyboard via USB/Lightning, if you think that's better than using my mechanical keebs.

3. Will it break Messages / Facetime, if I boot without the OSX-WiFi card?

I'll try to find some time to do this but not sure when I'll be able to.

Edited by M0r1d1n

5 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

I have:

- 1x OSX-WiFI PCI card

- 1x RX 580

So I should just disconnect everything, leave GPU + 1x display, and test that?

Which mouse should I use? I can connect Magic Trackpad + Magic Keyboard via USB/Lightning, if you think that's better than using my mechanical keebs.

Yeah I think that’s your best way forward tbh,

Heres an easy test that you could do just to write off any Bluetooth issues, if you have a wired keyboard and mouse just hook them in and see if it’s still choppy via that.

I think @WizeMan had a similar issue with his wireless keyboard and mouse and he resolved it by moving he’s combo card to a different pcie slot (Pcie Lane conflicts).
Now I’ve tagged him on this post he will see it and chime in on he’s issue and fix when he sees this. 

BTW, Nice setup brother, I especially like your Dual Monitors. That’s awesome stuff.... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M0r1d1n said:

I have:

- 1x OSX-WiFI PCI card

- 1x RX 580

1. So I should just disconnect everything, leave GPU + 1x display, and test that?

2. Which mouse should I use? I can connect Magic Trackpad + Magic Keyboard via USB/Lightning, if you think that's better than using my mechanical keebs.

3. Will it break Messages / Facetime, if I boot without the OSX-WiFi card?

Dang I want those two monitors!

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

Yeah I think that’s your best way forward tbh,

Heres an easy test that you could do just to write off any Bluetooth issues, if you have a wired keyboard and mouse just hook them in and see if it’s still choppy via that.

I think @WizeMan had a similar issue with his wireless keyboard and mouse and he resolved it by moving he’s combo card to a different pcie slot (Pcie Lane conflicts).
Now I’ve tagged him on this post he will see it and chime in on he’s issue and fix when he sees this. 

BTW, Nice setup brother, I especially like your Dual Monitors. That’s awesome stuff.... :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, I resolved by moving the Fenvi on the most bottom PCI Slot -> PCIEX4 (1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WizeMan said:

Yes, I resolved by moving the Fenvi on the most bottom PCI Slot -> PCIEX4 (1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4)

@AudioGod @WizeMan I just confirmed mine is in PCIEX3 (the small slot above). Will move it down after I'm done with this post. BTW I'm using one of the cards from here, maybe even this one: https://www.osxwifi.com/product/pc-hackintosh-apple-broadcom-bcm94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-0/

Can you tell me if I need to use the AirportBrcmFixup.kext or if I can just drop it?

1 minute ago, M0r1d1n said:

@AudioGod @WizeMan I just confirmed mine is in PCIEX3 (the small slot above). Will move it down after I'm done with this post. BTW I'm using one of the cards from here, maybe even this one: https://www.osxwifi.com/product/pc-hackintosh-apple-broadcom-bcm94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-0/

Can you tell me if I need to use the AirportBrcmFixup.kext or if I can just drop it?

You can start without using the fixup kext. If you notice any sleep / wake issues then you can use it.