AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2020 at 6:46 AM, inet777 said:

Firstly - Big Thanks to board leaders. I bought Z390 Master mainly because of the level of support in this forum.

Just an observation.... I am experiencing that latest Clover EFI is much more stable compared to OC 0.5.9 for me. My CPU is i9-9000kf. I am pretty sure this is not iMac 19,1 vs iMac 1,1 issue. Both OC SMBios (19,1 & 1,1) crash at least once a day. USB Web cam would not work at all with OC EFI. But Clover EFI is much stable, even the booting is much faster with Clover EFI compared to OC 0.5.9 build. The difference between OC and Clover stability is clearly noticeable. I am wondering - why so and only me?

As the developers say, Opencore is still at Beta stage and they recommend that you don't use it unless absolutely necessary if you are a beginner.

To quote them:-

"Please remember that OpenCore is still new and currently in beta. While quite stable, and arguably much more stable than Clover in pretty much every way, it is still being frequently updated and so chunks of configuration change quite often(ie. New quirks replacing old ones). Lastly, this guide is only meant to be a starting point in your journey with OpenCore and not recommended for beginners unless absolutely necessary."

So if you are having issues with Opencore compared to Clover, then stick with Clover for now. You can alsways try the next version, OC 0.6, when it is released.

On 6/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, AudioGod said:

@dredhorse Awesome work bro well done, I love the attention to detail with what you have done. I’m very very impressed sir. :) 

One thing that I noticed and must point out though is that you have your memory in the wrong two slots.

use A2 B2 not A1 B1 and you might find your bios post problems and sleep both get fixed at once. :thumbsup_anim:

Oh and check your power settings using hackintool and correct if anything is wrong. (You can do it all within hackintool with one push of a button and then a restart)

Thanks a lot, I swapped the memory. It isn't still perfect still. 
I also looked again into the documentation and didn't directly find the reference to use A2 / B2, did I overlook something?

Will look into the power settings with hackintool, that will be easier than patching the kext.

So atm I still have 3 issues I need to solve:

1) Booting into Bios because of issues. Just doing Save and reboot without any changes several times (from 1 to 5) fixes the issue. Will do a video with the BIOS codes, perhaps somebody can figure out what the issue is

2) Strang behavior with Sleep also in Windows, the system goes to sleep and directly starts. Other times the system goes to sleep without any issue.

3) Changing of the About This Mac, I started with the iMacPro OpenCore and switched over to the iMac OpenCore version, but the About This Mac is still iMacPro

Now all Hackintosh users are busy installing the New OS from Apple MacOS 11.0 Big Sur Beta. It has not yet been installed with them. Is something like this being done on our branch?

8 minutes ago, kapelan6 said:

Now all Hackintosh users are busy installing the New OS from Apple MacOS 11.0 Big Sur Beta. It has not yet been installed with them. Is something like this being done on our branch?

Most Hackintosh users are busy installing Big Sur on real Mac. Clover and Opencore aren't ready yet for 10.16 :)

Hi all.

To start - a massive thanks for this guide. I have been lurking various places for some time and playing with old hardware, I finally bought new stuff for my first dedicated hack and the guide I followed elsewhere I just couldn't get to boot at all.

Thankfully I found this brilliant guide by @AudioGod and all the other great contributors which pretty much matched my hardware and it has been a complete success - well almost...

I can not get iMessage working no matter what I try!

My specs are as per signature. I am using the OpenCore Z390 Master Polaris EFI 010620 and have updated the serial with one generated as per the vanilla guide (shows up on everymac not on apple support), same with ssuid and MLB. I have also changed the ROM to match the MAC address of my actual ethernet which hackintool confirms is eth0. I have used the bios profile which unlocks msr.

I have followed the troubleshooting guides, i have cleared out everything, reset NVRAM and i use a brand new appleID i create on my custom domain for each attempt and every time i have the same customer code error (same error, different customer code per appleID).

• I log in to the apple id from the preferences page.
  • I authorise email code
  • I authorise text message mobile phone code
  • I open messages and sign in again - another text message code
  • Then open messages preferences and select to activate messages in icloud (or similar checkbox)
  • All looks good then i get the call support customer code message.

Now i fully expect my own apple id is blocked from when i was playing with old hardware and i know i will have to call apple once i have this new hack working properly - but these are completely new and clean appleIDs so calling apple to unblock them would be both a waste of time as i don't want to use a dummy ID long term, but i expect would just result in a new block being applied as the config clearly has a problem to have blocked it in the first place.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide or troubleshooting or diagnostic steps to take.

I hope i have provided all the necessary info to ask for support - if there is anything missing please let me know.

Thanks

Matt

Edited for clarity.

Edited by matt-uk

4 minutes ago, matt-uk said:

Hi all.

To start - a massive thanks for this guide. I have been lurking various places for some time and playing with old hardware, I finally bought new stuff for my first dedicated hack and the guide I followed elsewhere I just couldn't get to boot at all.

Thankfully I found this brilliant guide by @AudioGod and all the other great contributors which pretty much matched my hardware and it has been a complete success - well almost...

I can not get iMessage working no matter what I try!

My specs are as per signature. I am using the OpenCore Z390 Master Polaris EFI 010620 and have updated the serial with one generated as per the vanilla guide (shows up on everymac not on apple support), same with ssuid and MLB. I have also changed the ROM to match the MAC address of my actual ethernet which hackintool confirms is eth0. I have used the bios profile which unlocks msr.

I have followed the troubleshooting guides, i have cleared out everything, reset NVRAM and i use a brand new appleID i create on my custom domain for each attempt and every time i have the same customer code.

• I log in to the apple id from the preferences page.
  • I authorise email code
  • I authorise text message mobile phone code
  • I open messages and sign in again - another text message code
  • Then open messages preferences and select to activate messages in icloud (or similar checkbox)
  • All looks good then i get the call support customer code message.

Now i fully expect my own apple id is blocked from when i was playing with old hardware and i know i will have to call apple once i have this new hack working properly - but these are completely new and clean appleIDs so calling apple to unblock them would be both a waste of time as i don't want to use a dummy ID long term, but i expect would just result in a new block being applied as the config clearly has a problem to have blocked it in the first place.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide or troubleshooting or diagnostic steps to take.

I hope i have provided all the necessary info to ask for support - if there is anything missing please let me know.

Thanks

Matt

Have you got a previous Apple ID of old that was in use before you created a new one? New IDs on new non Apple machines tends to be flagged, old established IDs tends to be more successful on new builds. I suggest you log into your account in iCloud and remove all Devices that you're not running, these are referred by some as ghost machines that just clutter your account. The Call Apple message is not the worst case scenario, just leave it for a day or two and you might just get lucky and find the block has been cleared. One more thing, just resist the urge to constantly trying to logon for the time being, to test you can get some one with an Apple ID and logon as Guest to test if your injected values are working as should, if the logon is successful then all is well it's just your particular ID that is flagged on this machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @eSaF. I think you are right - those new IDs were too new.

I activated guest account and logged in to imessage account with my wife's apple ID and it worked - i was able to receive a message from my iphone.

So i went through another round of deleting the files from the terminal as per the vanilla guide and NVRAM reset - tried my main apple id and got the error.

Okay i thought - it must be blocked so i called apple support.

I have been on the phone for 30 minutes now - there isnt a block on my account, they dont know why it isnt workjing and they are now transferring me to a senior support to explore further. To avoid the question about my seriel number i told then i was away from the office now.

I will wait to see what they find on my account when i eventually get transfered to someone in the senior support team (still on hold) but is there anything that you guys can think of that i may not have thought of?

Why would my wifes account work and not mine if there is no block that apple assures me there isnt. So close to getting this build perfect!

Edited by matt-uk
spelling

5 minutes ago, matt-uk said:

Thanks @eSaF. I think you are right - those new IDs were too new.

I activated guest account and logged in to imessage account with my wife's apple ID and it worked - i was able to receive a message from my iphone.

So i went through another round of deleting the files from the terminal as per the vanilla guide and NVRAM reset - tried my main apple id and got the error.

Okay i thought - it must be blocked so i called apple support.

I have been on the phone for 30 minutes now - there isnt a block on my account, they dont know why it isnt workjing and they are now transferring me to a senior support to explore further. To avoid the question about my seriel number i told then i was away from the office now.

I will wait to see what they find on my account when i eventually get transfered to someone in the senior support team (still on hold) but is there anything that you guys can think of that i may not have thought of?

Why would my wifes account work and not mine if there is no block that apple assures me there isnt. So close to getting this build perfect!

It's like I said, if the guest account works it means your setup is perfect and working as should because your wife was abled to logon with her ID. The new security measures Apple implemented some time back with the iCloud security breach, they applied more stringent checks which cause some non Apple machines not to be granted Security Tokens right away. Just hang tight for a while and your machine will be granted access eventually, also don't be tempted to change Mac model or anything like that, stick with what you have at the moment, changing values just makes the situation worst than what it is. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, eSaF said:

It's like I said, if the guest account works it means your setup is perfect and working as should because your wife was abled to logon with her ID. The new security measures Apple implemented some time back with the iCloud security breach, they applied more stringent checks which cause some non Apple machines not to be granted Security Tokens right away. Just hang tight for a while and your machine will be granted access eventually, also don't be tempted to change Mac model or anything like that, stick with what you have at the moment, changing values just makes the situation worst than what it is. Good luck.

Really appreciate your help. After almost an hour they finally took notice of what i was saying with the customer code and apparently it needed to be authorised. They have done this but i havent checked yet if we are all sorted. They were actually great on the phone.

I have two questions if you dont mind giving your advice:

1) i had a lot of noise coming from my motherboard around the cpu during processing. I put this down to coil whine and an issue with the board which a lot of people seem to have experienced. I ordered a replacement which will arrive today.

Should i wait until the new board arrived and is installed before i try my apple id again. Once installed i will flash with the bios profile to unlock msr - is there anything else to be aware of or that i need to do or is everything simulated anyway so actual hardware is irrelevent?

2) As part of the troubleshooting i used the macserial tool and got the following output (details redacted). Is there anything to be concerned about here. Why china and does it matter the date is off? I did this yesterday.

Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
          Year:    D - 2020
          Week:    N - 45 (04.11.2020-10.11.2020)
          Line:  0PY - 814 (copy 1)
         Model: JV3Q - iMac19,1
   SystemModel: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
         Valid: Possibly

System ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
           ROM: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
           MLB: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
     XXXXXXXXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXXXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Version 2.1.2. Use -h argument to see usage options.
zsh: failed to write history file /Users/xxx/.zsh_history: permission denied

Installed @AudioGod’s latest 0.5.9 Open Core and updated to Catalina last night.

everything works fine expect for screensavers. When I try to bring up the password screen when a screensaver is active (I use the option ‘require password after screensaver starts’), Catalina starts lagging and there are fps drops. This takes so long that my Apple Watch doesn’t unlock my hakcintosh. After typing in the password, after a few seconds, everything is back to normal.

All this worked fine under Mojave. Any suggestions?

28 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

Installed @AudioGod’s latest 0.5.9 Open Core and updated to Catalina last night.

everything works fine expect for screensavers. When I try to bring up the password screen when a screensaver is active (I use the option ‘require password after screensaver starts’), Catalina starts lagging and there are fps drops. This takes so long that my Apple Watch doesn’t unlock my hakcintosh. After typing in the password, after a few seconds, everything is back to normal.

All this worked fine under Mojave. Any suggestions?

I have just tried this myself as i had not used this option yet and the password box pops up instantly when i nudge the mouse during the screen saver.

What is your hardware? It may help those who know more than me to diagnose the issue.

55 minutes ago, matt-uk said:

Really appreciate your help. After almost an hour they finally took notice of what i was saying with the customer code and apparently it needed to be authorised. They have done this but i havent checked yet if we are all sorted. They were actually great on the phone.

I have two questions if you dont mind giving your advice:

1) i had a lot of noise coming from my motherboard around the cpu during processing. I put this down to coil whine and an issue with the board which a lot of people seem to have experienced. I ordered a replacement which will arrive today.

Should i wait until the new board arrived and is installed before i try my apple id again. Once installed i will flash with the bios profile to unlock msr - is there anything else to be aware of or that i need to do or is everything simulated anyway so actual hardware is irrelevent?

2) As part of the troubleshooting i used the macserial tool and got the following output (details redacted). Is there anything to be concerned about here. Why china and does it matter the date is off? I did this yesterday.

Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
          Year:    D - 2020
          Week:    N - 45 (04.11.2020-10.11.2020)
          Line:  0PY - 814 (copy 1)
         Model: JV3Q - iMac19,1
   SystemModel: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
         Valid: Possibly

System ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
           ROM: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
           MLB: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Version 2.1.2. Use -h argument to see usage options.
zsh: failed to write history file /Users/xxx/.zsh_history: permission denied

Since you have a new board coming I would hold off until you get it then insure BIOS is of the latest version and all files and setup coincides with the downloaded EFI Folder. Don't worry about the China thing all debug results will output that result so you're good to go. Good luck. Authorisation by Apple may take a little while but should be ok by the time you get the new board and get it setup, don't despair if you still have to wait a day or two it will happen.

Edited by eSaF
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Since you have a new board coming I would hold off until you get it then insure BIOS is of the latest version and all files and setup coincides with the downloaded EFI Folder. Don't worry about the China thing all debug results will output that result so you're good to go. Good luck.

Great - it is the exact same board so hopefully it is a straight swap, bios and then login to imessage.

I will let you know so there is a sense of closure on this.

Is a noisy board anything anyone else has experienced with the Z390 Aorus Master and i9 9900K. Could my old osu be contribiting?

New board is here now but thermal paste hasnt arrived yet so will have to wait a bit longer.

PS. Great commuity over here and especially on this thread - impressed witht he levels of and willingness to help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt-uk said:

Great - it is the exact same board so hopefully it is a straight swap, bios and then login to imessage.

I will let you know so there is a sense of closure on this.

Is a noisy board anything anyone else has experienced with the Z390 Aorus Master and i9 9900K. Could my old osu be contribiting?

New board is here now but thermal paste hasnt arrived yet so will have to wait a bit longer.

PS. Great commuity over here and especially on this thread - impressed witht he levels of and willingness to help.

Actually I had coil noise (whining noise) with my old ga-z87-oc gigabyte board, I thought that was a thing of the past which seemed to plague gigabyte boards in particular but I haven't had that problem with my z390 pro wifi, whether it is cpu related as well I don't know.

Hey @eSaF

I'm sorry to bother you again. I have just installed new board, but before i turn on i had a thought.

The system and EFI was set up with my real ethernet MAC address for my old board.

Now that MAC address has changed with the new board - do i change this or leave it.

I guess my question is does Apple check the EFI ROM versus my actual ethernet eth0 MAC address and if i change it will that mess up the system that my apple id has just been autorised against with my customer code.

Hope that makes sense. My apple ID is obviouly sensitive at the moment so dont want to now show apple a changed system if i dont have to.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by matt-uk
removing quoted post as not relevant

1 hour ago, matt-uk said:

I have just tried this myself as i had not used this option yet and the password box pops up instantly when i nudge the mouse during the screen saver.

What is your hardware? It may help those who know more than me to diagnose the issue.

i9-9900K, Z390 Aorus Master, RX 580, iGPU enabled.

33 minutes ago, matt-uk said:

Hey @eSaF

I'm sorry to bother you again. I have just installed new board, but before i turn on i had a thought.

The system and EFI was set up with my real ethernet MAC address for my old board.

Now that MAC address has changed with the new board - do i change this or leave it.

I guess my question is does Apple check the EFI ROM versus my actual ethernet eth0 MAC address and if i change it will that mess up the system that my apple id has just been autorised against with my customer code.

Hope that makes sense. My apple ID is obviouly sensitive at the moment so dont want to now show apple a changed system if i dont have to.

Cheers

Matt

Just copy over your MAC address from old one and you'll be fine. The general rule is to setup the new board with the same injected values of the old board and you're good to go.

25 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

i9-9900K, Z390 Aorus Master, RX 580, iGPU enabled.

That is normal as it is a security feature - 'Ask For P/Word' after scene saver deactivation - in other words to log back on but you can disable this feature if you choose.

28 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Just copy over your MAC address from old one and you'll be fine. The general rule is to setup the new board with the same injected values of the old board and you're good to go.

That is normal as it is a security feature - 'Ask For P/Word' after scene saver deactivation - in other words to log back on but you can disable this feature if you choose.

please read my earlier most more closely. I am getting lag, low fps, and stuttering. 

Quick update from me - imessage and facetime now working like a charm, as is everything else. Just waiting for my G5 from eBay to arrive so i can get modding!

And hopefully the new board will not be noisy! Too much background noise to tell at the moment through.

Thanks again @eSaF you are a star for taking the time to help me out and thanks everyone who has contributed to this guide.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

please read my earlier most more closely. I am getting lag, low fps, and stuttering. 

Since you're posting to this Thread I can only assume your specs are what the thread is intended and catered for as you haven't bothered to supply any such information in your post or under your avatar (or have I missed that as well) so if I have mischaracterise your post please accept my apologies and I leave your post open to others. Good luck.

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Since you're posting to this Thread I can only assume your specs are what the thread is intended and catered for as you haven't bothered to supply any such information in your post or under your avatar (or have I missed that as well) so if I have mischaracterise your post please accept my apologies and I leave your post open to others. Good luck.

OK let me clarify, since I don't quite understand why you're explaining how basic security features of macOS work, while I wrote about a performance and possible configuration issue...

1. Catalina works fine in all circumstances that I have found except...

2. When the screen saver turns on, it works properly.

3. If I e.g. press Esc to exit screen saver, it will either show a password box or unlock via Apple Watch.

3a. As soon as that password box starts showing up, everything starts to lag. Screen saver drops to 10-15 fps and everything starts stuttering. When I try to type in my password (10 characters), the OS inputs double that.

3b. If the Apple Watch unlock function is on, it will try to unlock but will fail. After a few seconds the password box will appear.

4. If I have the security/password function turned off, then the screensaver stutters for 1-2 secs and I can see all my windows, but everything slows down for around 5-10 seconds. After that everything is back to normal.

This is not normal behaviour and it worked perfectly on Mojave. Any ideas what I can try?

Here's my config:

- i9-9900K

- Aorus Master Z390

- HyperX Fury DDR4

- Radeon RX 580

- 970 Evo Plus 1 TB

- Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD

Not sure what could be causing this.

Also, Geekbench 5 shows a Metal score of 30K on my RX 580 with 1 display on. If I turn on my second display, I get 50%. Any ideas what that's about?

15 minutes ago, M0r1d1n said:

OK let me clarify, since I don't quite understand why you're explaining how basic security features of macOS work, while I wrote about a performance and possible configuration issue...

1. Catalina works fine in all circumstances that I have found except...

2. When the screen saver turns on, it works properly.

3. If I e.g. press Esc to exit screen saver, it will either show a password box or unlock via Apple Watch.

3a. As soon as that password box starts showing up, everything starts to lag. Screen saver drops to 10-15 fps and everything starts stuttering. When I try to type in my password (10 characters), the OS inputs double that.

3b. If the Apple Watch unlock function is on, it will try to unlock but will fail. After a few seconds the password box will appear.

4. If I have the security/password function turned off, then the screensaver stutters for 1-2 secs and I can see all my windows, but everything slows down for around 5-10 seconds. After that everything is back to normal.

This is not normal behaviour and it worked perfectly on Mojave. Any ideas what I can try?

Here's my config:

- i9-9900K

- Aorus Master Z390

- HyperX Fury DDR4

- Radeon RX 580

- 970 Evo Plus 1 TB

- Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD

Not sure what could be causing this.

Also, Geekbench 5 shows a Metal score of 30K on my RX 580 with 1 display on. If I turn on my second display, I get 50%. Any ideas what that's about?

Sir - Thank you for proving your spec details which helps others willing to offer help or a fix for the problem you're having and as I previously stated, as I mis-characterised your problem I leave your query open to more knowledgeable members. Good luck.

OK so this gets stranger and stranger...

I replaced AudioGod's SSDTs with the ones I generated myself for Open Core 0.5.4, and now my RX 580 is back up to 46-53K in OpenCL/Metal in Geekbench 5.

Graphics performance seems to be worse than under Mojave — screen saver is stuttering most, but I can see places where other things aren't as smooth as they used to be, such as Mission Control animations.

Apple Watch still won't unlock Catalina.

Since I'm using a 4K screen, I had UIScale set to 02 earlier. @AudioGod's current config.plist adds UIscale and then deletes it later. Not really sure about how this works and if it's correct? Please advise.

<key>NVRAM</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Add</key>
		<dict>
			<key>4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14</key>
			<dict>
				<key>DefaultBackgroundColor</key>
				<data>AAAAAA==</data>
				<key>UIScale</key>
				<data>Ag==</data>
			</dict>

(...)

<key>Delete</key>
		<dict>
			<key>4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14</key>
			<array>
				<string>UIScale</string>
				<string>DefaultBackgroundColor</string>
			</array>

Hi

Is there an easy guide for which ports can be used with the provided EFI and included DSDTs. I was sure i had seen a diagram but can't find it now - perhaps that was another post i was reading.

Any guidance on which ports are active and which aren't would be appreciated. I am actually going to put covers on the unused ports so it is clear they are not active.

Are only specific SATA headers and USB headers on the board also active or are they all good to go?

Sorry if this is a stupid question or I have missed the info elsewhere.

Matt

Edited by matt-uk
spelling errors