AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, dredhorse said:

quick question before I try the new version of the config, how does your CPU behave concerning PowerSaving?

I have a i9-9900K and I don't really see it dropping below 4.6 GHz.

I also don't have any power options except screen sleep in my SystemPreferences

quick question before I try the new version of the config, how does your CPU behave concerning PowerSaving?

I have a i9-9900K and I don't really see it dropping below 4.6 GHz.

I also don't have any power options except screen sleep in my SystemPreferences

Nothing wrong with the cpu frequency scaling on any 8th or 9th gen cpu.

i use a 9900k and it tops out at 5200ghz and drops all the way down like it should.

make sure your c states are not disabled in the bios.

you should also have normal power options in system preferences.

sounds to me like you have done something wrong within your setup.

Edited by AudioGod

39 minutes ago, dredhorse said:

thanks, will take a look, can you sleep the system?

I will check the original article again, and the bios.

yes sleep and everything works for basically everybody just like a real Mac should work.

Hi,

i am running the the build with the specs in my signature. Sometimes the system feels laggy. Sometimes it also fails to boot (Was error press any key). Everything else is working fine (sleep, airdrop and so on).

Any ideas what is causing this behavior ?

did you try the broadcom fix? Almost looks like my system. macos is quite stable for me with iMacpro 1,1 but I have bios issues at the moment, wonder if it is my memory, or any other of the components I have in my system.

20 hours ago, AudioGod said:

make sure your c states are not disabled in the bios.

I think some people step over this IMPORTANT step in your excellent guide:

BIOS SETTINGS (Bios Revision F11C)

Enter BIOS  Press Delete  Enter Setup

• Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults

The C states settings should be on auto if they did the above.

16 hours ago, Quiggycn said:

Hi,

i am running the the build with the specs in my signature. Sometimes the system feels laggy. Sometimes it also fails to boot (Was error press any key). Everything else is working fine (sleep, airdrop and so on).

Any ideas what is causing this behavior ?

In my case it was a {censored}load of apps that were checking every freakin' minute if there's an update. Adobe programs are EXCELLENT resource hoggers. And yes, also the Flash Player!
You can use a tool like lingo, launchcontrol, 'app cleaner & uninstaller' or cleanmymac to disable (at least, or change) the scheduled updates.

Why the boot fails... that's not handled by the above. Did you try cleaning your NVRAM?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gaumatngu said:

Hi @AudioGod 

Thanks for your updated EFI, but in June 1 EFI post, you removed the warning of stability if using SMBIOS 1,1 with 5700 XT. So is good now for using your EFI with SMBIOS 1,1 with 5700 XT with no issue related to stability? 

Thanks. 

Yes it’s ok now under 1,1 with a Navi

• Like 1

I'm missing the Computer Sleep Slider bar in the energy saver options, which is a "feature" of the newer versions of macOS. Did somebody manage to enable it again? It requires "hacks" in the /S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext file which is of course read-only in catalina.

Firstly - Big Thanks to board leaders. I bought Z390 Master mainly because of the level of support in this forum.

Just an observation.... I am experiencing that latest Clover EFI is much more stable compared to OC 0.5.9 for me. My CPU is i9-9000kf. I am pretty sure this is not iMac 19,1 vs iMac 1,1 issue. Both OC SMBios (19,1 & 1,1) crash at least once a day. USB Web cam would not work at all with OC EFI. But Clover EFI is much stable, even the booting is much faster with Clover EFI compared to OC 0.5.9 build. The difference between OC and Clover stability is clearly noticeable. I am wondering - why so and only me?

Edited by inet777
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, inet777 said:

Firstly - Big Thanks to board leaders. I bought Z390 Master mainly because of the level of support in this forum.

Just an observation.... I am experiencing that latest Clover EFI is much more stable compared to OC 0.5.9 for me. My CPU is i9-9000kf. I am pretty sure this is not iMac 19,1 vs iMac 1,1 issue. Both OC SMBios (19,1 & 1,1) crash at least once a day. USB Web cam would not work at all with OC EFI. But Clover EFI is much stable, even the booting is much faster with Clover EFI compared to OC 0.5.9 build. The difference between OC and Clover stability is clearly noticeable. I am wondering - why so and only me?

Who or what on earth is board leaders?  :hysterical:

If you unstable using OC then you have a hardware or install problem as OpenCore is Stable, infact A bootloader causing instability is a huge no. (Not via my EFIs anyway) Doesn’t happen my friend so again I’m not suggesting but I’m 100% telling you that you have a hardware or instal problem. (If your overclocking then your overclock probbaly is not stable)

Also a 9900KF has no igpu making smbios 19,1 completely wrong for your setup.

you should be using imacpro 1,1 or  macpro 7,1 

Edited by AudioGod

The point I am trying to make here is simple - taking the red herring of overclocking out of picture (because there is none), taking the differences of smbios 19,1; 1,1 & macpro 7,1 out of the picture (because the following behavior is exhibited regardless of smbios setting), I am curious why OC EFI would exhibit instability, and Clover would not exhibit any of the same problems. After a system with OC boots, it takes a good 10 seconds before all menu bar icons on top are visible, whereas with Clover, they are immediately visible after boot. When booted with latest OC EFI, webcam works choppy for 30 seconds before freezing; while same web cam, same usb port works flawlessly with Clover boot for days at a time. Only thing that changed between boots is the EFI folder (OC vs. Clover). OC always crashes within a day, Clover never crashes. Hence the only conclusion I can draw is it is not hardware or installation, it is what is in EFI folder (both are from the first page of this forum). Please correct me if I am wrong, happy to be educated.

3 hours ago, inet777 said:

The point I am trying to make here is simple - taking the red herring of overclocking out of picture (because there is none), taking the differences of smbios 19,1; 1,1 & macpro 7,1 out of the picture (because the following behavior is exhibited regardless of smbios setting), I am curious why OC EFI would exhibit instability, and Clover would not exhibit any of the same problems. After a system with OC boots, it takes a good 10 seconds before all menu bar icons on top are visible, whereas with Clover, they are immediately visible after boot. When booted with latest OC EFI, webcam works choppy for 30 seconds before freezing; while same web cam, same usb port works flawlessly with Clover boot for days at a time. Only thing that changed between boots is the EFI folder (OC vs. Clover). OC always crashes within a day, Clover never crashes. Hence the only conclusion I can draw is it is not hardware or installation, it is what is in EFI folder (both are from the first page of this forum). Please correct me if I am wrong, happy to be educated.

And I bet if you did a clean boot none of that would happen.

what I’m trying to tell you is your problems are not because of OpenCore but are exclusive to you and you alone so to lay blame on the bootloader is just simply ridiculous.

simple as that really buddy

how can me saying IF you have a overclock be a red herring, What you trying to say there fella? 
I don’t know your setup or what your using and you have no signature togo by so I’m going to say whatever problems I can think of that will be connected to it.

Red herring meaning a clue or piece of information which is or is intended to be misleading or distracting. (How absolutely rude of you)

One more point in all of this, you are one of many many hundreds of users using any of my EFIs and none bar you with any problems using OpenCore. I know it hurts to be told you have something wrong with your setup be it hardware or instal but fact are facts I’m afraid.

And I was also just informing you about using the right smbios not telling you it was part of the problem. (I was trying to helpful and nothing more)

Trying to be helpful one last time, I’m gonna take a shot in dark and guess that you have been using installs from over at the red tomato site. If you have then it would explain the problems straight away, if you haven’t then It was just a guess so don’t shot me for guessing wrong!

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

Good Morning,  I had to redo my system.  I deleted it by mistake while i was on windows and formatted the wrong Hard drive.  lol...  I realized it when it was to late.  Now time to move on from that.  I'm trying to reload it and when I used the EFI it wanted to install it using a different language.  I'm trying to install it using english but its in a language that I don't know. Any idea?  Last time I just update the EFI and my BIOS and was good to go but this time I'm doing a fresh install.

2 hours ago, Fullyarm said:

Good Morning,  I had to redo my system.  I deleted it by mistake while i was on windows and formatted the wrong Hard drive.  lol...  I realized it when it was to late.  Now time to move on from that.  I'm trying to reload it and when I used the EFI it wanted to install it using a different language.  I'm trying to install it using english but its in a language that I don't know. Any idea?  Last time I just update the EFI and my BIOS and was good to go but this time I'm doing a fresh install.

Unfortunately the installation defaults to the Russian language but all is not lost, if you can make this alteration in the config.plist (as shown in the pic) on the installer then all will be in English. If you cannot do that, go through with the installation and when you get to the menu to format the disk hit the back button on the menu bar and it will give you the option to change languages. Good luck.

Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 20.11.33.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Unfortunately the installation defaults to the Russian language but all is not lost, if you can make this alteration in the config.plist (as shown in the pic) on the installer then all will be in English. If you cannot do that, go through with the installation and when you get to the menu to format the disk hit the back button on the menu bar and it will give you the option to change languages. Good luck.

Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 20.11.33.png

thanks!  I will try that when I get a chance.  I can change and modify the plist. If not then I will do it the other way you mentioned.  Thanks again!

@Fullyarm no worries you're welcome, actually altering the config.plist is a lot easier because, the menu I mentioned is also in Russian and unless you know Russian it takes a bit of faffing about to find it but it is there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dredhorse said:

While this is still work in progress I wanted to share some work I have done. https://dredhorse.gitbook.io/snowwhite-a-hackintosh-story/

Thanks again @AudioGod for all the help.

@dredhorse Awesome work bro well done, I love the attention to detail with what you have done. I’m very very impressed sir. :) 

One thing that I noticed and must point out though is that you have your memory in the wrong two slots.

use A2 B2 not A1 B1 and you might find your bios post problems and sleep both get fixed at once. :thumbsup_anim:

Oh and check your power settings using hackintool and correct if anything is wrong. (You can do it all within hackintool with one push of a button and then a restart)

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@dredhorse Awesome work bro well done, I love the attention to detail with what you have done. I’m very very impressed sir. :) 

One thing that I noticed and must point out though is that you have your memory in the wrong two slots.

use A2 B2 not A1 B1 and you might find your bios post problems and sleep both get fixed at once. :thumbsup_anim:

Yea Man I've just been going through the whole article, very impressive I applaud you on  a very informative write up of Show and Tell :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 8:08 AM, dredhorse said:

While this is still work in progress I wanted to share some work I have done. https://dredhorse.gitbook.io/snowwhite-a-hackintosh-story/

Thanks again @AudioGod for all the help.

This is awesome!  Love what you did here and looking forward to see what else you do.  Loads of information and also had the resolve of the issue I had on language.  Very easy to do.  Thanks!

• Like 4