AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, AudioGod said:

As long as its for a good cause then I wouldn't worry about it. sleep can wait...:hysterical:

Hip Hip Hurray! The green screen problem is gone after patching the EDID. I have not seen it since. 

The only problem (?) is that once the fans stop spinning, waking up takes about 10 seconds in which time the cursor freezes. I don't know, maybe that is default behaviour and the system loads a hibernation image? 

I have also seen a reboot instead of a wake once. If it happens again, I will post a log and maybe that can be fixed too.

Thanks again!

Does anyone have problems with AMD RADEON VII ?, I remember that in my old configuration I had to disable the hdmi audio with hdadisabler.kext, it would produce restarts and lags.  Do you know of a more comfortable or new way to snular or correct this error?

Just now, photom said:

OH MY - YOU ARE FAST!

I always have the latest beta of OC cooking as they build it up so I’m generally ready for release the day a new version goes live.

• Like 1

Clover & OpenCore EFI Updates (10.15.5 Ready), 4th MAY 2020 

(Use With Bios Revision F11c)

The EFIs and DSDTs have now been updated to the my latest versions.

Changes made include,

AppleALC 1.4.9

Lilu 1.4.4

WhateverGreen 1.3.9

VirtualSMC 1.1.3

AirportBrcmFixup 2.0.7

OcQuirks Revision 22 (I have made some changes to the plist that should make it play a lot more friendly now with the IGPU enabled) (Clover)

Clover Updated to Revision 5115

OpenCore Updated to Revision 0.5.8

Plus other major tweaks and changes to all of the configs

Clover EFI Update v5115 - 04/05/2020 - Use with Bios revision F11c Only or Replace with the older F10 DSDT if you don't want to update the bios

Clover Z390 Master Navi Vega EFI 040520.zip - Vega, Navi (5700, 5700XT etc), Radeon VII DSDT EFI

Clover Z390 Master Polaris EFI 040520.zip - RX500 Polaris Series (RX590, 580, 570 etc) DSDT EFI

Please Note - I have now set KernelPM to No as standard so if you don’t have a unlocked MSR or not using my MSR Unlocked Bios Profile then go into the Clover Config.plist and set KernelPM to Yes or you won’t be able to boot up. An even better fix would be to unlock your MSR using my profile method.

Note - If your not using a 5700 XT or any other Navi GPU then remove agdpmod=pikera from the boot arguments.

OpenCore EFI Update v0.5.8 - 04/05/2020

Myself and @texem have now created a OpenCore EFI done the way the OpenCore Devs intended it to be made, There is no DSDT in use so you can use this EFI on any supported GPU and the SSDTs have been made so they will not be used in any other Operating System apart from MacOS.

OpenCore 058 Z390 Master 19,1 040520.zip - OpenCore v0.5.8, SMBios iMac19,1

OpenCore 058 Z390 Master 1,1 040520.zip - OpenCore v0.5.8, SMBios iMacPro1,1 (IGPU Disabled)

Note - If your not using a 5700 XT or any other Navi GPU then remove agdpmod=pikera from the boot arguments.

For OpenCore Using PlistEdit Pro add your details by modifying the following 

453128831_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_25_01.thumb.png.7a9beac3ccc0096941fc4a0ec07b8248.png

PLEASE NOTE - These EFIs are setup to be used with your msr Unlocked so make sure you use the F11c Unlocked Profile but if for any reason you can not unlock MSR then just modify following in the OpenCore config.plist :

249434888_Screenshot2020-01-16at19_26_02.thumb.png.948834bc41d84df577e126ae92c9d773.png

Additional Downloads

mb_bios_z390-aorus-master_f11c.zip - Aorus Z390 Master Bios F11c 

PlistEdit Pro.zip - PlistEdit Pro (use to edit OpenCore)

CFG Unlock (MSR) F11c BIOS Profile - The Easy Way 

I have made this bios profile for you all to use that will unlock CFG on your motherboard making it play alot more friendly with the NVRam.

It also has all the bios settings listed on this guide pre done and saved onto the profile.

F11c MSR Unlocked Profile.zip - Use with Bios Revision F11c ONLY

1 - Download the profile and save it to a USB Key

2 - Go into the bios,

3 - Load the profile, 

4 - Save and exit

5 - Go straight back into the bios and save your bios to a new profile and name it Default CFG Unlocked or something like that.

6 - Boot back into Catalina go into your clover config and under Kernal and Kext Patches Uncheck KernalPM 

7 - Save the changes and then restart and your done, your motherboard will now be CFG (MSR) Unlocked

PLEASE NOTE - If you reset the bios or load bios defaults it will clear the Unlock making CFG Locked again. 

MAY THE FORTH BE WITH YOU ALWAYS!!!!

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

I'm not able to get the uefi win10 install to show up in picker. I know for sure it's UEFI as that's what it says in msinfo32. Both selections show up in the bios. I've used rufus to create my win10 media and reinstalled. I'm still not exactly sure why the picker won't show the win10 selection. Any advice or kb articles ya'll can share would be awesome.

Starting w/ 2 fresh USB's. I install macos w/ your new OC setup. Then I install Win10 on the 2nd drive. This, in the past, has had the 2 show up in picker before w/ Clover. This is my 1st time w/ OC.. Should I be installing win10 1st ? 

2 minutes ago, ryanafdahl said:

I'm not able to get the uefi win10 install to show up in picker. I know for sure it's UEFI as that's what it says in msinfo32. Both selections show up in the bios. I've used rufus to create my win10 media and reinstalled. I'm still not exactly sure why the picker won't show the win10 selection. Any advice or kb articles ya'll can share would be awesome.

Starting w/ 2 fresh USB's. I install macos w/ your new OC setup. Then I install Win10 on the 2nd drive. This, in the past, has had the 2 show up in picker before w/ Clover. This is my 1st time w/ OC.. Should I be installing win10 1st ? 

It should show on the picker and if it’s not then Theres a reason.

you sure you haven’t booted windows legacy by mistake?

to find out go into the bios and enable CSM mode.

if windows reappears then you know for sure it’s in legacy boot.

So I enabled CSM...but then DEL won't get me into bios and goes straight to the picker...still no windows there...cmos reset to get back to the bios w/ del key..reloaded unlock profile.

The interesting bit is that the win10 usb shows up in picker when it's plugged in..

From this point I can f12 and choose the win10 drive to complete it's setup...Does this action 'boot' win10 in legacy? :/

2 minutes ago, ryanafdahl said:

So I enabled CSM...but then DEL won't get me into bios and goes straight to the picker...still no windows there...cmos reset to get back to the bios w/ del key..reloaded unlock profile.

The interesting bit is that the win10 usb shows up in picker when it's plugged in..

From this point I can f12 and choose the win10 drive to complete it's setup...Does this action 'boot' win10 in legacy? :/

Somethings wrong with your windows install.

i would just start again with a new clean install key made directly via windows website not through any inbetween or other methods and make sure your using all the correct bios settings to begin with.

Fool proof

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

I've done w/ both. Media Creation tool & Rufus. Does it matter if win10 gets installed 2nd ? Or should I start w/ Win10 and then install macos?

Also, thank you very much for the helps. You are amazing for this work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryanafdahl said:

I've done w/ both. Media Creation tool & Rufus. Does it matter if win10 gets installed 2nd ? Or should I start w/ Win10 and then install macos?

Thanks for the kind words :) 

It doesn’t matter what you boot first.

in guessing windows has its own disk?

if so then just remove your macOS drive and fully boot up windows using the windows usb creator to make you USB key and it should be peachy buddy.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ryanafdahl said:

Surely you're not putting both OSs' on the same drive! Although doable you'll be asking for a world of trouble. Separate disks for each is always the way to go. When reinstalling Windows it's best to remove the disk containing OS X against any mishaps or data corruption. 

• Like 2

There is one big problem left. I keep getting reboots when waking from sleep. How do I diagnose the problem?

Here are some things I have found.

System log:

fault    20:38:29.201355+0200    apsd    Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: <private>
default    20:38:29.201375+0200    apsd    Attempt to set dark wake topics without dark wake enabled: <private>
fault    20:38:29.201404+0200    apsd    Attempt to set critical wake topics without dark wake enabled: <private>

Clover log:

1:067  0:000  No AudioIoProtocols, status=Not Found

1:454  0:007      hibernated: set as never

3:855  0:000  ParseBootOption: invalid input params

3:992  0:000  0. [GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, bin not found / already patched!
3:992  0:000  1. [HDAS to HDEF]: pattern 48444153, bin not found / already patched!
3:992  0:000  2. [HECI to IMEI]: pattern 48454349, bin not found / already patched!
3:992  0:000  3. [SAT0 to SATA]: pattern 53415430, patched at: [ (20) ]
3:992  0:000  4. [GLAN to GIGE]: pattern 474C414E, bin not found / already patched!
3:992  0:000  5. [Fix bug SKL+]: pattern A00A9353, bin not found / already patched!

3:995  0:000   - ERROR: gFSInjectProtocolGuid not found!

3:994  0:000   RCBA disabled; cannot use it

Boot log:

2020-05-05 20:37:19.464946+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (HFS) <HFS`hfs_mount> hfs_mount: hfs_mountfs returned error=13 for device unknown-dev
2020-05-05 20:37:19.464948+0200  localhost kernel[0]: hfs_mountroot failed: 13

2020-05-05 20:37:29.782361+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) <AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer`AppleIntelFramebufferController::ReadAUX(AppleIntelFramebuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned short, void*, AppleIntelDisplayPath*)> [IGFB][ERROR  ] FB1: ReadAUX Timeout for addr 600 with Status = 0xe00002d6
2020-05-05 20:37:29.800218+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) <AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer`AppleIntelFramebufferController::WriteAUX(AppleIntelFramebuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned short, void*, AppleIntelDisplayPath*)> [IGFB][ERROR  ] FB1: WriteAUX Timeout for addr 600 with Status = 0xe00002d6
2020-05-05 20:37:29.819171+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) <AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer`AppleIntelFramebufferController::ReadAUX(AppleIntelFramebuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned short, void*, AppleIntelDisplayPath*)> [IGFB][ERROR  ] FB1: ReadAUX Timeout for addr 600 with Status = 0xe00002d6
2020-05-05 20:37:29.837003+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) <AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer`AppleIntelFramebufferController::WriteAUX(AppleIntelFramebuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned short, void*, AppleIntelDisplayPath*)> [IGFB][ERROR  ] FB1: WriteAUX Timeout for addr 600 with Status = 0xe00002d6
2020-05-05 20:37:29.855927+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) <AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer`AppleIntelFramebufferController::ReadAUX(AppleIntelFramebuffer*, unsigned int, unsigned short, void*, AppleIntelDisplayPath*)> [IGFB][ERROR  ] FB1: ReadAUX Timeout for addr 600 with Status = 0xe00002d6
2020-05-05 20:37:29.855930+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer) <AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer`AppleIntelFramebufferController::SetDPPowerState(AppleIntelFramebuffer*, unsigned char, AppleIntelDisplayPath*)> [IGFB][INFO   ] Set DP power state failed. Returned state 0

2020-05-05 20:39:19.923126+0200  localhost kernel[0]: memorystatus_on_ledger_footprint_exceeded: failed to warn the current task (603 exiting, or no handler registered?).

2020-05-05 20:41:44.730253+0200  localhost kernel[0]: process AppleSpell[478] crossed memory high watermark (50 MB); EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback.

Edited by measwel

Hi guys! First, thank you for the awesome guide. I've been using MacOS using this guide for a few months and love it. I do have a few issues, though.

1. Sleep doesn't seem to work very well. More specifically, from time to time the fans start spinning, monitors stay black and then it sleeps again. I did check the Power section in hackintool and used to have "proximitywake" red to wake up with my Apple Watch, but I disabled that so now it's green, but sleep still doesn't seem to work very well.

2. I tried updating to OpenCore 0.5.8 (I am currently using 0.5.7 NDK). I removed everything on the EFI partition, put in place the new EFI (non NDK as there is no NDK anymore), configured the MLB, SystemSerialNumbe, SystemUUID and ROM and rebooted. I succesfully booted to MacOS, but the 2 4K monitors were only displaying at an 1280x960 resolution (or similar, I don't remember exactly, but in settings I could only see this or 1024x768 as options). Did anyone else have any issue similar to this?

PS: My config is in my signature.

PS2: I have the LG screens EDID overridden, since in 10.15.4 Apple broke HDR and most of the time they would get HDR signal and distort colors.

Really appreciate everyone effort and support with this project - I have updated OC to 0.58 and have a resolution issue at the start up and OS section screen - anyway to fix it easily ? 

I checked the setting and its already on MAX under UEFI Output resolution String MAX

@AudioGod & friends. Small update from this side. As I know you were worried about my setup. Great news! I'm up and running after getting over being stubborn about removing one nvme drive and doing a solo Win10 install. Now OC presents both in picker. Thanks very much for the attention to this thread. I'm updated and have learned a bunch about this/my/our setup. 

p.s. I still would like more details about your OC bios settings. One of the reasons I wanted to stay on f10 was that I found it to be more stable w/ my Overclock. I haven't touched settings there to get this setup and functional..but the urge is strong. Thanks again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aaXelm said:

Hi guys! First, thank you for the awesome guide. I've been using MacOS using this guide for a few months and love it. I do have a few issues, though.

1. Sleep doesn't seem to work very well. More specifically, from time to time the fans start spinning, monitors stay black and then it sleeps again. I did check the Power section in hackintool and used to have "proximitywake" red to wake up with my Apple Watch, but I disabled that so now it's green, but sleep still doesn't seem to work very well.

2. I tried updating to OpenCore 0.5.8 (I am currently using 0.5.7 NDK). I removed everything on the EFI partition, put in place the new EFI (non NDK as there is no NDK anymore), configured the MLB, SystemSerialNumbe, SystemUUID and ROM and rebooted. I succesfully booted to MacOS, but the 2 4K monitors were only displaying at an 1280x960 resolution (or similar, I don't remember exactly, but in settings I could only see this or 1024x768 as options). Did anyone else have any issue similar to this?

PS: My config is in my signature.

PS2: I have the LG screens EDID overridden, since in 10.15.4 Apple broke HDR and most of the time they would get HDR signal and distort colors.

Hi,

the wakes from sleep you are describing are correct and that is power nap doing it’s thing. You can turn it off via powersvings. All it’s doing is waking up and checking the mail, iCloud, etc etc and then going back to sleep. This is correct behaviour 100%

About the Res - I'm running 2 4K monitors scaled down too 1440p with no issues.

try turning off your override to see if it’s the cause?

are you sure the res isn’t correct and it’s scaling it up?

Go into the config.plist and under output check the resolution and set it to your display or set it too Max

6 hours ago, gibbo592 said:

Really appreciate everyone effort and support with this project - I have updated OC to 0.58 and have a resolution issue at the start up and OS section screen - anyway to fix it easily ? 

I checked the setting and its already on MAX under UEFI Output resolution String MAX

What do you mean a resolution issue buddy?

at the bootpicker or in macOS?

instead of using Max set your res. (I set mine to 2560x1440 cos 4K is too small for me)

Edited by AudioGod

5 hours ago, ryanafdahl said:

@AudioGod & friends. Small update from this side. As I know you were worried about my setup. Great news! I'm up and running after getting over being stubborn about removing one nvme drive and doing a solo Win10 install. Now OC presents both in picker. Thanks very much for the attention to this thread. I'm updated and have learned a bunch about this/my/our setup. 

p.s. I still would like more details about your OC bios settings. One of the reasons I wanted to stay on f10 was that I found it to be more stable w/ my Overclock. I haven't touched settings there to get this setup and functional..but the urge is strong. Thanks again!

They messed up bios F10 and forgot to put back a load of setting in the bios. In F11c most the missing settings are back.

overclocking is no different unless your not truly stable to start with. My overclocks haven’t moved at all from f9 all the way though to F11f (I beta test the master firmware).

please don’t get offended for me suggesting that as I know most people think they know best when it comes to overclocking and take offence at the mention that there work isn’t truly locked in but 99.9% of the time that’s the real reason for a Oc going wrong on a hot day or on a new firmware.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

Hi and thank you so much for this great working guide!!

My system is running very stable and fast with Opencore but I have one strange issue, I just can't get my head around.

I don't use the onboard audio device as I have 3 pci express audio cards from RME Audio (1x HDSPe Madi, 2x RayDat). For those I use the official RME driver for Catalina and generally it is working fine. However, during any kind of audio playback there are sudden short "hickups" which I don't have on my seperate Windows 10 installation (and never had before on any other build). At first they seemed random but I have the feeling, they occure whenenver something happens on the screen which means, that I open an app or close something, minimize a window or do something in Chrome etc. I plan to use Catalina as a music production system in my studio and those hickups are a serious show stopper... Does any of you have any idea what might causing this and how to fix it? 
Thank you!

Edited by kolutshan

9 minutes ago, kolutshan said:

Hi and thank you so much for this great working guide!!

My system is running very stable and fast with Opencore but I have one strange issue, I just can't get my head around.

I don't use the onboard audio device as I have 3 pci express audio cards from RME Audio (1x HDSPe Madi, 2x RayDat). For those I use the official RME driver for Catalina and generally it is working fine. However, during any kind of audio playback there are sudden short "hickups" which I don't have on my seperate Windows 10 installation (and never had before on any other build). At first they seemed random but I have the feeling, they occure whenenver something happens on the screen which means, that I open an app or close something, minimize a window or do something in Chrome etc. I plan to use Catalina as a music production system in my studio and those hickups are a serious show stopper... Does any of you have any idea what might causing this and how to fix it? 
Thank you!

I know exactly what the problem is and I can fix it for you.

its your motherboard firmware.

your motherboard has a onboard com port and the bios  has no option to disable it. It’s not you or your systems fault and there is nothing you can do about it with the current or any older firmwares but I will pm you now a beta firmware and bios profile Togo with it and just update to the new bios and then use the bios profile that goes with it and I promise you your audio will be perfect or my names not AudioGod....lol

il pm you the fix now buddy give me a mo :) 

• Like 1

Just now, AudioGod said:

I know exactly what the problem is and I can fix it for you.

its your motherboard firmware.

your motherboard has a onboard com port and the bios  has no option to disable it. It’s not you or your systems fault and there is nothing you can do about it with the current or any older firmwares but I will pm you now a beta firmware and bios profile Togo with it and just update to the new bios and then use the bios profile that goes with it and I promise you your audio will be perfect or my names not AudioGod....lol

il pm you the fix now buddy give me a mo :) 

thank you so much!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kolutshan said:

thank you so much!!!!

Check your inbox and reply here buddy not by PM.

good luck and I’m waiting to hear the result and how awesome your audio works now for you. :) 

• Thanks 1