[pre-release] macOS Catalina

1,679 posts in this topic

Hey guys, was surprised my ancient GTX 670 is working great. I saw in an earlier post someone els had there's running on Catalina, so thought ok can't be too hard and will give it a try2095789715_ScreenShot2019-07-02at6_40_48PM.png.c1a06386d7ba10ea6a00f856f1ec4299.png

Thanks for the help with the plugins and everyone here. 

Sound working, and restart and shut off work. Sleep is a mystery and is not working however works in some versions of macOS. 

To install without the updated plugins Lilu.kext, you need to change the SMBIOS to 14,2 to get video working and not a black screen. 

Once installed use AGDPfix.app or whatevergreen.kext. Audio: AppleALC.kext an issue until the updated plugin. 

And something I always forget to mention for my Asus X79 Deluxe use ApfsDriverLoader.efi and AptioMemoryFix2 not ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi with AptioMemoryFix something about the version that just kills it. 

• Like 1

Successful upgrade to Catalina DP3_19A501i on my legacy XPS M1530 core2duo laptop with Nvidia Tesla 8600M GT.  

Prepared installer USB from full app with @dosdude's macOS Catalina Patcher v1.0b6 ---> boot to installer with opencore 0.0.3, bypassing machine compatibility checks ---> installed over existing DP2_487l apfs installation.  

Applied recommended post-install patches for MBP 5,1 SMBIOS including @ASentientBot's latest acceleration patches for unsupported (non metal) legacy graphics cards.  These are unchanged from DP2.

I also copied his CatalinaAutoMountWritable.plist into /Library/LaunchDaemons which auto mounts the root volume as R/W at login (sudo mount -uw /).

End Result...

584670854_UpgradeinstallXPSM1530toCatalinaDP3_19A501i.thumb.png.b09ac05727c0ea609240765ae1490952.png

4 hours ago, ellaosx said:

What is the major thing to be patched for C2Duo?

It was com.apple.telemetry.plugin on Mojave

Correct.  To avoid kp for Core2Duo machine in Catalina, have to also delete/rename or replace /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin with the one from 10.13.6.

Edited by fusion71au
formatting, answer for @ellaosx
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

I know this is most likely an APFS issue...and I'm hoping it will get better with future updates (though I'm not counting on it), but is anyone else having incredibly slow performance with Catalina (any beta) on HDDs? I can't even watch a simple video on youtube. Animations are more like slideshows.:)) Not a good experience at all. I'm only curious if this is just me.

1 hour ago, fusion71au said:

Successful upgrade to Catalina DP3_19A501i on my legacy XPS M1530 core2duo laptop with Nvidia Tesla 8600M GT.  

Prepared installer USB from full app with @dosdude's macOS Catalina Patcher v1.0b6  ---> boot to installer with opencore 0.0.3, bypassing machine compatibility checks---> installed over existing DP2_487l apfs installation.  

Applied recommended post-install patches for MBP 5,1 SMBIOS including @ASentientBot's latest acceleration patches for unsupported non metal legacy graphics cards.  End Result...

Reveal hidden contents

584670854_UpgradeinstallXPSM1530toCatalinaDP3_19A501i.thumb.png.b09ac05727c0ea609240765ae1490952.png

What is the major thing to be patched for C2Duo?

It was com.apple.telemetry.plugin on Mojave

Edited by ellaosx

17 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

Anyone experiencing intermittent blackscreen once clover (latest as of today's compilation) kicks in?

Only way to get out of it is to reset and hope it works on the next boot.

mmm no... not really. I'm on 4979. No black screens here... At least not on Clover side. On which of the two machines are you getting this? Both Desktop or Laptop or just one of them? I'm thinking it's probably a specific issue. But I don't think it's a general one.

14 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

Hi @arsradu

Desktop.

Im on dual boot since Catalina came out (HS & Catalina). Clover only resides on the main SSD which is HighSierra. this never happened before dual booting.

I did try removing Catalina SSD and the issue never happened.

I see.... I'm also dual booting Mojave and Catalina. But they're on different drives. Mojave on the SSD, Catalina on the HDD. Both booting off of Mojave's EFI (so from the same SSD). Your Desktop rig only uses an iGPU, right? Maybe this is not Clover....? Maybe it's one of the kexts responsible for fixing your iGPU...? Or the config patches for iGPU.

At this point, this is only speculation. But...since it's the same Clover...I think it's either a specific issue with Clover + Catalina + iGPU...ooor the issue is not with Clover in the first place, but with one of the kexts (WEG for example)?

Are you using lilubetaall boot flag to boot Catalina? Or compiled newer versions of those kexts (Lilu + WEG) yourself (which would not require that boot flag anymore)?

Edited by arsradu

@arsradu

Im only using iGPU.

I think it must have something to with clover's theme changes on newer revs.

You see, i have my own custom theme which i have been using since sierra. I only update clover if needed, but i always retain my custom theme.

Problem only started when i installed catalina (dual boot) and updated clover.

Currently, i changed my theme on one of the available themes from the package and have yet to encounter the issue i was having.

So i guess my custom theme was the culprit.

And since this is now an off-topic, il stop here and probably fix my own theme.

Arsradu, as always, thanks again :)

• Like 1

[mention=1303722]arsradu[/mention]
Im only using iGPU.
I think it must have something to with clover's theme changes on newer revs.

You see, i have my own custom theme which i have been using since sierra. I only update clover if needed, but i always retain my custom theme.
Problem only started when i installed catalina (dual boot) and updated clover.

Currently, i changed my theme on one of the available themes from the package and have yet to encounter the issue i was having.
So i guess my custom theme was the culprit.
And since this is now an off-topic, il stop here and probably fix my own theme.

Arsradu, as always, thanks again

You’re most welcome. :)

I was about to ask you which theme are using, since this could be indeed a theme issue. I also have a pretty old theme I’m still using (called Minimalism). Simple black and white theme. Perfectly matches MacOS’s boot screen.

Alright Ella. I’m glad you managed to figure out the cause of this issue. If anything else comes up, we’re all here to try and help. See you around. :)
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Update to Beta 3--> succeed on i7 9700K.

I don't have Airplay under Catalina: UDH630

• patch used: GFX0 to IGPU Find: 47465830 Replace: 49475055
  • Inject-Intel selected
  • ig-platform-id: 0x3E920003 (I'm not sure of that)

Any idea, please

Capture d’écran 2019-07-03 à 09.03.57.png

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lundli said:

Sidecar still won't work but now I'm at least getting a sensible error message.. "Sidecar requires a newer version of iPadOS." :|

Do you running IPadOS 13? Using Sidecar requires a compatible Mac running macOS Catalina and a compatible iPad running iOS 13. 

3 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Do you running IPadOS 13? Using Sidecar requires a compatible Mac running macOS Catalina and a compatible iPad running iOS 13. 

12.3.1, I guess I'll have to install the iOS beta on the pad if I want to use sidecar

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Should work with these boot flags. Do you have IGPU enabled? If so, disable it and try again.

Tested several times before, retested now to confirm. The only way to get the HTML5 player working in Netflix with Safari in Mojave (for my hardware combination) is using the iMacPro SMBIOS with the iGPU disabled. When I use the shake-id parameter with the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS HTML5 is disabled in Netflix for Catalina and Mojave. In Catalina with the iMacPro SMBIOS and the iGPU disabled, just loading the Netflix front page is enough to freeze the computer! 

I'm starting to suspect that its a hardware problem related to the dGPU, since it seems like the people having this problem is using Nitro+ cards.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi

Update to Beta 3--> succeed on i7 9700K.

I don't have Airplay under Catalina: UDH630

• patch used: GFX0 to IGPU Find: 47465830 Replace: 49475055
  • Inject-Intel selected
  • ig-platform-id: 0x3E920003 (I'm not sure of that)

Any idea, please

Capture d’écran 2019-07-03 à 09.03.57.png

Hi Matt!

So you're physically connected to the iGPU, right? And trying to use Ariplay but not getting it displayed under Displays in System Preferences. Did I get this right?

For as far as I can see,...that ig-platform-id that you mentioned above is for headless connections (0 connectors reported to MacOS). I'm not sure that's ok for this case.

Also, 0x3E920003 is for 8th gen Intel CPUs, if I'm not mistaken. Yours is a 9th gen.

Try some Ice Lake HP platform IDs from here:

Edited by arsradu

8 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hi Matt!

So you're physically connected to the iGPU, right? And trying to use Ariplay but not getting it displayed under Displays in System Preferences. Did I get this right?

For as far as I can see,...that ig-platform-id that you mentioned above is for headless connections (0 connectors reported to MacOS). I'm not sure that's ok for this case.

Also, 0x3E920003 is for 8th gen Intel CPUs, if I'm not mistaken. Yours is a 9th gen.

Try some Ice Lake HP platform IDs from here:

Thanks :) I don't connect physically to the iGPU. AirPlay works fine under Mojave (config i7 3770K)

You're right: 0x3E920003 is for 8th gen Intel CPUs. I try (after update Xcode) some Ice Lake platform IDS.

Thanks  I don't connect physically to the iGPU. AirPlay works fine under Mojave (config i7 3770K)  

You're right: 0x3E920003 is for 8th gen Intel CPUs. I try (after update Xcode) some Ice Lake platform IDS.

Yeah, I was a bit confused as to why did you mention all those details related to the igpu if you're not physically connected to it... I haven't used Airplay with any of my computers before. Is it linked in some way with the iGPU...? Is it dependent on the iGPU? Cause otherwise, maybe the issue is somewhere else..? I don't know. Anyway, I guess you could try some of those platform IDs anyway. Just in case. default_smile.png  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dvil said:

Tested several times before, retested now to confirm. The only way to get the HTML5 player working in Netflix with Safari in Mojave (for my hardware combination) is using the iMacPro SMBIOS with the iGPU disabled. When I use the shake-id parameter with the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS HTML5 is disabled in Netflix for Catalina and Mojave. In Catalina with the iMacPro SMBIOS and the iGPU disabled, just loading the Netflix front page is enough to freeze the computer! 

I'm starting to suspect that its a hardware problem related to the dGPU, since it seems like the people having this problem is using Nitro+ cards.

Thanks.

For your iMac17,1 IGPU enabled I'd try agdpmod=pikera shikigva=60 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

Edited by hardcorehenry

13 hours ago, Neo.aka.Darkman said:

On new beta during boot problem with EndpointSecurity on laptop.

14AE9738-C826-4A8E-998F-5BE13372401A.thumb.png.0678d7546bf7fd46508bd7ba58d8c12b.png

I had to reinstall all just to realize that was a problem of virtualsmc. With fakesmc boots without problem

• Like 2