[pre-release] macOS Catalina

1,679 posts in this topic

It stands to reason that Catalina would get to the point that you can't modify the systems files directly.  There had to be a reason why Catalina divided its installation into a system partition and a data partition.

1712237541_CatalinaPartitions.thumb.png.b46a550cff63309e0279c446943fd0d9.png

• Like 1

Very strange…

Because I just tried on another Hack and indeed, it fails :

polyzargone@Skylake1st ~ % sudo cp -R /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext /System/Library/Extensions
Password:
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext: Read-only file system
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext: Read-only file system
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS/RealtekRTL8111: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: No such file or directory

I usually install the same software on my rigs so I don't know why it works on one and not another :worried_anim:.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

Very strange…

Because I just tried on another Hack and indeed, it fails :

polyzargone@Skylake1st ~ % sudo cp -R /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext /System/Library/Extensions
Password:
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext: Read-only file system
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext: Read-only file system
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/MacOS/RealtekRTL8111: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: No such file or directory

I usually install the same software on my rigs so I don't know why it works on one and not another :worried_anim:.

How did you install Beta-2 on Working hack Update or reinstall ?

Edited by chris1111

Just now, chris1111 said:

How did you install Beta-2 on Working hack Update or reinstall ?

Over Beta 1 as I did on both Hacks.

The only differences I see is that the one where it fails has a full APFS filesystem and the other one has a mix of NTFS, Ext4, HFS+ and APFS :

25028583_Capturedcran2019-06-1820_18_21.thumb.png.d97b6ab45b4fa5cd64cdf3345d57744e.png

1529770200_Capturedecran2019-06-18a20_18_16.thumb.png.3c963565bdf923124ed252b108aaec4e.png

1 hour ago, fivos1996 said:

Hi. Just tried it and it still doesn't work. I keep getting the Local APIC panic without cpus=1. Please check my CLOVER folder and let me know if I'm missing something.

CLOVER.zip

Hi. Just tried it and it still doesn't work. I keep getting the Local APIC panic without cpus=1. Please check my CLOVER folder and let me know if I'm missing something.

Hi, its not your clover, this lapic fix is not working for me as well.

I think we need to wait for @PMheart to re look and fix it.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 1:06 PM, dvil said:

I'm having exactly the same problem, when I try to access Netflix or play an Amazon Prime video, Safari freezes the computer. My GPU is a 4GB 570+ Nitro, is your GPU a 4GB by any chance? I suspect is a video memory corruption problem, maybe driver related.

The card works perfectly in Mojave by the way.

This problem is still present in Catalina beta 2 :( hopefully it will be sorted in a future version. 

2 hours ago, mnfesq said:

There had to be a reason why Catalina divided its installation into a system partition and a data partition.

Improve security.

macOS has its own 'read-only' partition (unless you disable SIP), aka first APFS volume, while your data are located on second APFS volume. The idea behind is to prevent people from erasing macOS files (system files) by mistake, and to protect your macOS against possible attacks (speech for Mac users :P ).

In fact, only one disc will be visible in the Finder, but in a program like the Disk Utility, the both of them will be visible.

This new feature also is a problem for backup software, such as CCC - Its owner is claiming that actually CCC does not know how to handle this OS / data separation.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, arsradu said:

Thanks! Could you, please, tell me what do you mean by this: "I downloaded it from Logitech website after installed developers..."?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Also, I suppose you got the Mojave version, right?

I downloaded the G510 installation files off https://www.logitech.com/en-us website, and installed on top of Catalina developers ("beta 1"). I upgraded to Catalina developers "beta 2" and it still works fine.

5 hours ago, macq said:

Hi, its not your clover, this lapic fix is not working for me as well.

I think we need to wait for @PMheart to re look and fix it.

Thanks

The hex data in the kernel binary of beta 2 is different so we just need to find the correct value to find and replace...

3 hours ago, fantomas1 said:

This new feature also is a problem for backup software, such as CCC - Its owner is claiming that actually CCC does not know how to handle this OS / data separation.

Technically, it should be that, when you restore your installation from back up, you install a fresh copy of the OS and then back up only the data partition.  At least in theory that's how it should be.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:20 AM, mnfesq said:

I have Catalina up and running but cannot get video kexts loaded.  I'm hoping it's just a matter of waiting for Lilu and WEG to be updated for 10.15.  Also, my Broadcom Wifi card caused a KP when using AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  When I reverted to FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, wifi worked fine.  If anyone has any tips for loading intel IGPU kexts, let me know.

Do you have a problem with waking up the display after sleep? I have Iris hd 540 and it goes black after wake up.

2 hours ago, luky35 said:

When I want to install Clover Bootloader Catalina Beta 2 I get this notice (picture).

Please help?

http://shrani.si/f/1/Ba/2Jcvb3SL/clover.png

Run this command before using Clover package

Just by double click on command

And now you will have an option Install anyway

Gatekeeper-RW-SSD.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mnfesq said:

Technically, it should be that, when you restore your installation from back up, you install a fresh copy of the OS and then back up only the data partition.  At least in theory that's how it should be.

Hi @mnfesq @fantomas1

CCC works on new version for Catalina

CCC 5 (beta): Provisional support for macOS 10.15 Catalina

Are you beta-testing Apple's new macOS 10.15 Catalina? Help us test CCC 5 against macOS Catalina by joining our beta program. Open CCC 5 on Catalina, and CCC should automatically prompt to install our latest beta.

Please choose Ask a Question from CCC's Help menu to let us know if you encounter any problems or have questions about support for new features of that OS.

6 minutes ago, luky35 said:

@chris1111 hi,

Thank you very much,
Clover Bootloader was installed OK.

Now I have a problem with startup, which stops like an image and does not go on.

Please help if you can.
I attach my EFI.

http://shrani.si/f/3I/9G/3Czm2qAa/image.png

EFI.zip

PUT FAKESMC.KEXT IN OTHER :)

46 minutes ago, luky35 said:

@chris1111 hi,

Thank you very much,
Clover Bootloader was installed OK.

Now I have a problem with startup, which stops like an image and does not go on.

Please help if you can.
I attach my EFI.

http://shrani.si/f/3I/9G/3Czm2qAa/image.png

EFI.zip

What is the PC you are trying to install Cata ?

6 hours ago, valeryimm said:

Do you have a problem with waking up the display after sleep? I have Iris hd 540 and it goes black after wake up.

No I don't but WEG and Lilu have been updated since I first reported problems.  So has BrcmWifiFixup.  I'm not really having any significant problems running Catalina now (except that my trackpad is too sensitive and my hardware doesn't really allow me to adjust it.)