OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 6:43 AM, milanca said:

Maybe its safe to ignore but I'd like to know what's going on and who's doing the patch, I guess its OC. It is Patching invalid size on 3 items.

I'm content to ignore for my uses of OC, but if you want to investigate further, download the OC source from github and grep for 'Patching invalid size'

You'll find the code that reports this DEBUG statement in ./Library/OcAppleKernelLib/PrelinkedKext.c.  From there, you may be able to determine the conditions that result in this DEBUG statement.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 2:46 AM, MifJpnAlphaPlus said:

Hello developer
There is something I don't understand.
Both OpenCore and Clover have this NVRAM item while running macOS.
In OpenCore, this is thought to be erased when macOS is finished.
However, if Clover does not have T2 settings, this NVRAM item will not appear.
It is strange that what remains in NVRAM even though macOS is not running is not ”Secure” (can something bad happen if macOS is not running?).

In terms of design philosophy, is the idea to try to guarantee that NV-RAM is morally clean, regardless of what conditions may or may not occur?
I apologize if I didn't say it well.
 Please tell me.

I was wondering and I hope someone responds to your interesting post and the previous one about NVRAM, but maybe your assumption is embarrassing but right anyway or they don't have time for us. I read your question about NVRAM on the Clover thread and you obviously got an answer.  😉

Edited by Loloflat6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Loloflat6 said:

I read your question about NVRAM on the Clover thread and you obviously got an answer.  😉

True.  The CLOVER thread is still very active.  I visit it periodically because I'm so impressed that Slice, Jief_Machak and others are so attentive to the thread and so responsive to the questions.  If I hadn't switched to OC and wasn't too lazy to switch back to CLOVER, I'd be tempted by the appeal of the "CLOVER Family."  Something that never developed with OC.  OC is more of a "modern family."  Not a criticism - just a difference.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I visit it periodically because I'm so impressed that Slice, Jief_Machak and others are so attentive to the thread and so responsive to the questions.

Absolutely 100 percent!!! - I too take an interest in all the ongoing development of Clover, being a user for many years after Chameleon. The dedication of @Slice and the entire team is highly commendable, I got into OC after so many failures trying to understand the structure of OC and once I did, I switched over from Clover but still pay a keen interest in Clover. Long may the Clover team continue to evolve I say.

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

If I hadn't switched to OC and wasn't too lazy to switch back to CLOVER, I'd be tempted by the appeal of the "CLOVER Family."  Something that never developed with OC.  OC is more of a "modern family."  Not a criticism - just a difference.

That too is a fact!!!

• Like 5

The Dortania guide discusses boot-arg igfxfw=2 here: https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/misc/bootflag.html and indicates that the boot-arg is for "9th Gen chipset or newer (ie Z390)."  Googling 9th Gen Intel Chipset (and variations of that string) produces ambiguous results for me.  Z390 chipset supports 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs (as does the Intel Q370 Chipset).  Did the Dortania guide mean to say that igfxfw=2 is for 9th Gen and later Intel CPUs (not Chipsets)?  If the guide did mean to reference 9th Gen Chipsets, what are the 9th Gen Intel Chipsets?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

The Dortania guide discusses boot-arg igfxfw=2 here: https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/misc/bootflag.html and indicates that the boot-arg is for "9th Gen chipset or newer (ie Z390)."  Googling 9th Gen Intel Chipset (and variations of that string) produces ambiguous results for me.  Z390 chipset supports 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs (as does the Intel Q370 Chipset).  Did the Dortania guide mean to say that igfxfw=2 is for 9th Gen and later Intel CPUs (not Chipsets)?  If the guide did mean to reference 9th Gen Chipsets, what are the 9th Gen Intel Chipsets?

It works on my x1 extreme, which is 8th gen. It doesn’t work on all other x1e1s though. I forget exactly what is supported, but support I’ve found is kind of weird and inconsistent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MifJpnAlphaPlus said:

Thank you for your reply.
It's hard to describe it well without glossing over it.
 First, I am honored to have participated in the intensive testing of Clover's OC integration.
 However, that doesn't mean that I want to decide which is better or worse in terms of their basic design approaches.
 I think the reason OpenCore is so security-sensitive is because hackintoshes are now available to everyone.
 And the people who do this hacking may not even think they are hackers. (If you are a hacker, you are obviously responsible for your own security yourself.)
 Therefore, even if it is a hacking bootloader, security is a moral good for everyone who uses it, which means that it should be checked to the maximum extent possible.
 That's just my thinking.
Thank you.

I read your posts past year when you participeted in the intensive testing of Clover's OC integration with other developers [ develop not only coding : but going forward too] (you have changed your avatar since then 😉 )

Yes we are here for many different reasons of using Hackintosh and if the people who do this hacking may not even think they are hackers, I think they do it knowingly for most of them but maybe the word hacker is embarrassing.

And of course our own safety must be covered and we must behave as responsible people, as you mentioned and OpenCore with its complexity and security is fine for that.

But for me Clover, with its own security, means the simplicity is peaceful.

Thank you.

Edited by Loloflat6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

It works on my x1 extreme, which is 8th gen. It doesn’t work on all other x1e1s though. I forget exactly what is supported, but support I’ve found is kind of weird and inconsistent.

Thanks, @1Revenger1 !  What do you mean by "It works?"  Does that mean it doesn't crash your system, or do you notice a measurable change/improvement?

12 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

Thanks, @1Revenger1 !  What do you mean by "It works?"  Does that mean it doesn't crash your system, or do you notice a measurable change/improvement?

Doesn’t crash. I think there was a bit of a power management change, but I really don’t remember that well. I’d have to switch back and forth and see what changes to give a good answer, and I don’t have time with finals next week lol.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, tonyx86 said:

For chipsets with ME v12 (Z390, B360, H370, H310, Q370, C246 and newer).

Old chipsets with ME v11 not supported. Such as Z370 and other.

Use boot-arg igfxrpsc=1 for KBL+ with old chipsets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.  I ran a few GeekBench5 Metal tests and the slight performance improvement is measurable and repeatable.  Note that I'm testing with Chipset Q370 and CPU i9-9900 (UHD630).

GeekBench5 Metal Benchmark without boot-arg igfxfw=2

Spoiler

1297065836_ScreenShot2021-12-05at8_07_58AM.png.a7d375f4f16bd0cac58e387f338e3921.png

GeekBench5 Metal Benchmark with boot-arg igfxfw=2

Spoiler

965612451_ScreenShot2021-12-05at7_56_38AM.png.656891999feb0b5b76e152ba022414e2.png

2 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

For chipsets with ME v12 (Z390, B360, H370, H310, Q370, C246 and newer).

Old chipsets with ME v11 not supported. Such as Z370 and other.

Use boot-arg igfxrpsc=1 for KBL+ with old chipsets.

I have Intel Z490 chipset, i5-10600 and external GPU. iGPU is active for acceleration only.

VDADecoderChecker
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

I don't have igfxfw=2. Checked DRM and it's working. Is there something that I'm missing without this flag on my conf?

@Andrey1970  He's confused, because the Dortania Guide implies that it is for DRM:

Spoiler

318725310_ScreenShot2021-12-05at9_05_28AM.png.e2e539ee20c36629dda6ee465ab46982.png

Looks like the Dortania Guide could be better written to describe the applicable chipsets and intent of the boot-arg.  Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: If you click on the "Fixing DRM" link, there is no mention of boot-arg igfxfw=2.

EDIT2: @Andrey1970 This issue seems to suggest that Apple Firmware does have something to do with DRM.  It's not clear that boot-arg igfxfw=2 triggers the Apple iGPU firmware update assocated with this issue, but that may be another source of confusion regarding the use of igfxfw=2.  I may be alone on this (and if I am, please ignore), but I think a better explanation of boot-arg igfxfw=2 is necessary, including the need for the boot-arg and expected results with the boot-arg.  Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86
Added EDIT2
  • Like 1

The upgrade to OC 0.7.6 from 0.7.5 is very simple.  Thank you, developers!  My OC upgrade steps for my rig are here.  I'm still making the OC changes manually without the assistance of a configurator, so I'm sure there are "easier" ways to do this.

• Like 3

I am getting a problem with UIScale. After changing UIScale, the first stage is OK but after blink apple logo is getting bigger. I tested all scale modes but it didn't make any difference. If I set the UIScale as 0, first and second stage the same size. Yes, I reset NVRAM after each change. I made a video that the problem is clearly seen on this video. I want to see the logo as it was in the first stage. 

Hardware is Dell Monitor and Connection Type DP. 

I will add log after restart.

Attached logs.

IMG_0137.mov.zip config.plist

opencore-2021-12-07-143654.txt Lilu_1.5.8_21.1.txt

Edited by telepati
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

I'm still making the OC changes manually without the assistance of a configurator, so I'm sure there are "easier" ways to do this.

OCAT is one app that does, but like you I prefer updating manually that way I can inspect each line in the config.plist, as tedious as it is, to minimise any errant entries, then I use OCvaldate to check for any errant or if I have omitted any entries. This way hasn't failed me as yet plus it helps me to understand any additions or omissions by the OC developers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@eSaF I totally agree, I hate that some magic process/program configures my OC config.plist because when something with that background magic should go wrong I would be totally lost because I would not even know where to start looking for any anomalies enabling me to return to a working and stable system.

Of cause on the odd occasion, and time permitting, I am playing with OCAT but that is where my use of that "tool" ends. 

Greetings Henties 

• Like 2

There's no "background magic" included in OCAT. All is does is merging new features and their default values into an existing config. If there's any "magic" included it comes from OC validate which points at conflicts arising from contradicting settings.

There a couple of cases where certain combinations of settings are prohibited to protect users.

For example: You enable CustomSmbiosGUID, well then you have to change PlatforimInfo > Generic from "Create" to scustom as well.

You want to enable a theme but can't do it? Well, better change PickerMode to external

etc, etc, etc.

Since OCAT userbase is growing the amount of threads about config errors is decreasing gradually. You won't see many posts about errors in the OpenCore. No more fiddling around with 5 different tool to keep the config, kexts, drivers and opencore up to date.

And now, since the database includes about 60 base configs and dropdown meus for quirks you won't have to have to lookt at the Guide for the 1000th time to check a config.

There is no doubt that OCAT is an excellent tool to have for the automation of updating the files and kexts in the EFI Folder. The drawback for me is it will only use  released files for updating and as I tend to update and test nightly OC releases it is no good in my case. As I mentioned, I like to understand all the changes made by the OC devs without just blindly using an app to implement the changes. Yes I know I could read OC Change logs for the pertinent info but I like to physically make those changes and understand why.

• Like 5

@telepati

What is the reason of igfxrpsc=1 igfxfcms=1 boot args? Your config.plist seems okay to me.

You have " Failed to load image (1/1) Resources\Image\Acidanthera\GoldenGate\Background.icns prefix:Acidanthera\GoldenGate icon:0 - Not Found" in OC log, recheck you have all required icons in the theme folder.

• Like 2

Is there a way to configure the CPU bus speed in OC?  Mine is not accurately detected.  In About this Mac, it says I have a 2 GHz CPU when, in fact, it is a 1.8 GHz CPU.  I can manually configure bus speed in Clover but don't see where to do it in OC.  Thanks.