OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

I havent tested it in Monerey. All I know that XCPM on an IvyBridge laptop runs really bad. You lose like a third of the performance.

4 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I havent tested it in Monterey. All I know that XCPM on an IvyBridge laptop runs really bad. You lose like a third of the performance.

But the translation work is there and it's what matters.

Hi, I am trying to boot from OC 0.7.4 and installing Monterey beta9, every time I load it from OC boot menu I get apple icons and then back to OC boot menu, I have Z490 gigabyte with intel 10th generation and Nvidia gt710
I have been like that for 2 weeks now(couldn't install beta8). Thanks in advance 

7 hours ago, MacNB said:

🤣 no worries. 

Try it.

BTW, those two  .disk_label & .disk_label_2x files are special bitmap render files used by Apple boot picker and of course OpenCanopy to render onto the screen.

I have not found a graphical tool to display them but did find a terminal command to display the content in textual form to get an idea what is in the label files.

Go to where your .disk_label & .disk_label_2x are located then copy and paste this :

dump_label () { local contents=$(xxd -p -c99999 $1); echo ${contents:10} | perl -pe "s/(..)/\1 /g;s/00/../g;s/ //g;s/(.{$((0x${contents:2:4}*2))})/\1\n/g" ; }
dump_label .disk_label
dump_label .disk_label_2x

It will print out the contents on the screen. Make your terminal window large to see it properly.

I cannot take credit for that clever little script. That goes to a user joevt at MacRumors Forums.

Source of dump_label here on GitHub. 

I added a command, convert_label, that can convert a disk_label file to a tiff file.

https://gist.github.com/joevt/6d7a0ede45106345a39bdfa0ac10ffd6

• Like 4

8 hours ago, joevt said:

I added a command, convert_label, that can convert a disk_label file to a tiff file.

https://gist.github.com/joevt/6d7a0ede45106345a39bdfa0ac10ffd6

Great job 👍

Did not work for me though.

macnb@DG-MacBook-Pro DiskUtil % source diskutil.sh
macnb@DG-MacBook-Pro DiskUtil % convert_label .disk_label my_test_label.tiff
tr: Illegal byte sequence
macnb@DG-MacBook-Pro DiskUtil %                          

It created my_test_label.tiff file but it's just black background.

Source label attached.

Destination tiff attached.

.disk_label my_test_label.tiff

Edited by MacNB
update

10 hours ago, miliuco said:

But the translation work is there and it's what matters.

I didn't translate this. I am the author of this guide! This doesn't exist in the original repo.

17 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I didn't translate this. I am the author of this guide! This doesn't exist in the original repo.

Sorry!!! I was wrong. I was thinking you were the author of a translated version. Sorry again.  🙏

Edited by miliuco

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Great job 👍

Did not work for me though.

macnb@DG-MacBook-Pro DiskUtil % source diskutil.sh
macnb@DG-MacBook-Pro DiskUtil % convert_label .disk_label my_test_label.tiff
tr: Illegal byte sequence
macnb@DG-MacBook-Pro DiskUtil %                          

It created my_test_label.tiff file but it's just black background.

Source label attached.

Destination tiff attached.

.disk_label 785 B · 0 downloads my_test_label.tiff 320 B · 0 downloads

Fixed. Needed LANG=C since tr is translating bytes that are not utf-8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, miliuco said:

@tonyx86

Although your problem is solved, look at what I’ve found on the OpenCore configuration pdf:

How do I customise boot entries?

OpenCore follows standard Apple Bless model and extracts the entry name from .contentDetails and .disk_label.contentDetails files in the booter directory if present. These files contain an ASCII string with an entry title, which may then be customised by the user.

It is precisely this OpenCore doc and the text that you posted that made me think I needed to install the files in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT here.  For a novice like me, the term "booter directory" in the documentation is ambiguous. Why create the new term "booter directory?"  Thanks to you, @antuneddu and @MacNB, I now understand that the OpenCore reference to "booter directory" is the Preboot directory (which is only exposed as writeable when SIP is disabled) and not the /EFI/BOOT directory.  I found other references with this same confusion, so I don't think I'm alone.  In my opinion, the OpenCore docs should explicitly state Preboot instead of assuming that the reader understands the Apple Bless model and can extrapolate "booter directory" to Preboot.

EDIT: Maybe the OpenCore docs should explicitly state /System/Library/CoreServices to be consistent with the Apple developer docs instead of creating the new term "booter directory?"  Not sure - above my pay grade.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

... EDIT: Maybe the OpenCore docs should explicitly state /System/Library/CoreServices to be consistent with the Apple developer docs instead of creating the new term "booter directory?"  Not sure - above my pay grade.

You are right, this can create some confusion. When I read your first post on this matter, I also thought in EFI/BOOT as booter directory but, after reading OC pdf, I saw that there is referred to CoreServices in Preboot volume.

Preboot as booter directory is just how Apple sees it. Sometimes we forget that OpenCore tries to look as close to macOS on a real Mac as possible.

I think like you, a clarification in this text in the pdf would be welcome.

Apart from that, thinking about disable SIP, I would like to add 2 things that may be useful:

• Misc >> Security >> AllowToggleSip when true enables Toogle SIP tool in the picker, this tool switch SIP enabled to disabled and vicecersa with a single click and makes it very easy to boot once with SIP disabled without modifying csr-active-config in config.plist.
  • I wrote csr-active-config to FF0F0000 to disable SIP but there is another value that can also be used, 6F020000, this value is applied by OpenCore when running the Toogle SIP or CsrUtil.efi tools.

I have observed that csrutil status, when you set csr-active-config = 0xFFF (FF0F0000 in config.plist) returns unknown state but, when you set csr-active-config = 0x26F (6F020000 in config.plist), returns disabled.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 3:22 PM, Stefanalmare said:

Does anybody know how to extract bluetoth keys from Monterey to use in Windows?

Some time ago I asked how can we use Bluetooth devices in dual boot computers after Monterey came, without reconnect them each time. Today I found this but since beta 10 killed my bluetooth on Probook 4540s, I can't test it. Maybe somebody can tell us if it is working.

https://libredd.it/r/hackintosh/comments/p5ost3/macos_monterey_and_windows_bluetooth_pairing/

16 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Some time ago I asked how can we use Bluetooth devices in dual boot computers after Monterey came, without reconnect them each time. Today I found this but since beta 10 killed my bluetooth on Probook 4540s, I can't test it. Maybe somebody can tell us if it is working.

https://libredd.it/r/hackintosh/comments/p5ost3/macos_monterey_and_windows_bluetooth_pairing/

It works, but need to read also: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/255509/bluetooth-pairing-on-dual-boot-of-windows-linux-mint-ubuntu-stop-having-to-p

After changing key in windows, off/on bluetooth.

• Like 1

Since I updated to windows 11 on my Lenovo T530, I can no longer boot Windows from within OpenCore. I get a blue screen (well, it's actually black now) about an ACPI error. But the same config worked fine for WIndows 10. It's working fine with clover, too. Same patches and .aml files.

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Since I updated to windows 11 on my Lenovo T530, I can no longer boot Windows from within OpenCore. I get a blue screen (well, it's actually black now) about an ACPI error. But the same config worked fine for WIndows 10. It's working fine with clover, too. Same patches and .aml files.

Did you change the ResizeGpuBars from -1 to another value?

23 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Did you change the ResizeGpuBars from -1 to another value?

nope. do i have to? Its an iyy bridge laptop

A bios upgrade is available for the GA-Z490 Vision G mobo to address problems with Window 11. I am not planning to install Window 11 on my Vision G rigs so I am quite content staying on bios version F20 for this mobo, at least until Monterey is working the way it should.

A new bios at this juncture would just introduce another unnecessary source for errors making troubleshooting potential problems with

Monterey rather more difficult than need be at this early stage in the life of Monterey. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties

Hi, it seems I have an issue with keyboard/mouse in picker not working if a mac os installer is plugged into one of my usb ports.

I opened an issue in the bugtracker and it seems it's not a configuration issue, so a real bug, mhaeuser thinks about a memory corruption somewhere.

Mike asked me to try to find a scanpolicy value which works with the usb installer plugged in.

Before trying different scanpolicy value, it is not clear to me what these 2 bits are:

OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK
OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK

Both seem to restrict the scanning to the filesystems specified in scanpolicy (OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK) and to device types specified in scanpolicy (OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK)

So, for example OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK + OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK + OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS + OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SATA:

means scanning only for apfs filesystem only in sata drives.

My question: what does oc scan if the scanpolicy is only OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS + OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SATA without the 2 locks?

Will oc scan also for hfs/esp/linux root/linux data/ext boot loader and for sas/scsi/nvme/atapi/usb/firewire/sdcard/virtio but it will not show these results in the picker?

Thank you

Edited by ghost8282

A bios upgrade is available for the GA-Z490 Vision G mobo to address problems with Window 11. I am not planning to install Window 11 on my Vision G rigs so I am quite content staying on bios version F20 for this mobo, at least until Monterey is working the way it should.
A new bios at this juncture would just introduce another unnecessary source for errors making troubleshooting potential problems with
Monterey rather more difficult than need be at this early stage in the life of Monterey. 
Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties

New bios is most likely just setting tpm on by default. At least that’s what it was with my x570.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/15/2021 at 3:02 AM, Stefanalmare said:

On 10/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, Stefanalmare said:

It works, but need to read also: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/255509/bluetooth-pairing-on-dual-boot-of-windows-linux-mint-ubuntu-stop-having-to-p

After changing key in windows, off/on bluetooth.

Is it can be trick for make AR3011 working?

On 10/13/2021 at 8:16 PM, tonyx86 said:

It is precisely this OpenCore doc and the text that you posted that made me think I needed to install the files in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT here.  For a novice like me, the term "booter directory" in the documentation is ambiguous. Why create the new term "booter directory?"  Thanks to you, @antuneddu and @MacNB, I now understand that the OpenCore reference to "booter directory" is the Preboot directory (which is only exposed as writeable when SIP is disabled) and not the /EFI/BOOT directory.  I found other references with this same confusion, so I don't think I'm alone.  In my opinion, the OpenCore docs should explicitly state Preboot instead of assuming that the reader understands the Apple Bless model and can extrapolate "booter directory" to Preboot.

EDIT: Maybe the OpenCore docs should explicitly state /System/Library/CoreServices to be consistent with the Apple developer docs instead of creating the new term "booter directory?"  Not sure - above my pay grade.

OMG, i cant find OpenCore doc 0.7.4, how can follow to have latest update?