OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,774 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

You missed the description.

19 is max but apple uses max 1G.

Not at all: "This quirk shall not be used to workaround macOS limitation to address BARs over 1 GB (ResizeGpuBars). ResizeAppleGpuBars should be used instead."

With value 10 it's 1GB, maximum apple allowed. 19 it's 512GB. I just want to try values between 1GB and 2GB corresponding 10-11 values for ResizeAppleGpuBars.

Edited by Stefanalmare

@tonyx86

Forget disklabel. I've tried this tool without success.

But following @antuneddu advise, this is what I've done:

• changed csr-active-config to FF0F0000 (of course having csr-active-config also in NVRAM >> Delete >> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82)
  • rebooted
  • mounted Preboot volume from Terminal (I'm not sure if this is required, I see Preboot volume without mounting it)
  • edited /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails file (sudo pico...)
  • changed the volume name to anything else (I've chosen TONYX86)
  • rebooted.

And the new name is displayed in text and graphical picker.

I see that very probably OpenCore gets the name of the volume from this file because the name changes in the picker... even without having changed it in Disk Utility or Finder!!!

Spoiler

textmode.png.31179d98f39f135263b9617af2036b23.png

Spoiler

opencanopy.thumb.png.a56aa9c6a5eedf626daef2edb4461ced.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MacWill said:

I can't get "openlinuxboot" to work. Windows input works in both modes, ScanPolicy mode as well as Misc/Entries. Ubuntu has no way of working. In Misc/Entries it accesses grub but doesn't start. I would love to get rid of GRUB. Can you help me?
Thanks!

config.plist 33.61 kB · 0 downloads

With latest OC build, ext4_x64.efi, OpenLinuxBoot.efi, ScanPolicy 0, I boot Ubuntu without problems with specific icon and label.

48 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

With latest OC build, ext4_x64.efi, OpenLinuxBoot.efi, ScanPolicy 0, I boot Ubuntu without problems with specific icon and label.

I'm using Opencore 0.7.5 and I've tried all the ways but it looks like the path is wrong or it needs some argument to locate the Ubuntu boot.

24 minutes ago, MacWill said:

I'm using Opencore 0.7.5 and I've tried all the ways but it looks like the path is wrong or it needs some argument to locate the Ubuntu boot.

Since the linuxboot driver was introduced it went fine with scapolicy 0, but I prefer not to use it and start Linux (Garuda) and use its grub through custom entries and scan policy 2687747 after finding the path via shell .. .maybe that is wrong?

438024010_Schermata2021-10-11alle23_52_03.thumb.png.3ba30a448a1146d8f47ac619e426ec91.png

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

About the new OpenCore feature "gpubar" on Aorus Master Z390, Rx 6800 XT.
1. Resize bar enable on bios + ResizeAppleGpuBars 10 all OK - from picker: Mac OS, ubuntu and windows (resize bar enable on Radeon Software) are booting OK
2. Resize bar enable on bios + ResizeAppleGpuBars 11 - Mac OS stuck on PCI configuration
3. Resize bar enable on bios + ResizeGpuBars 10 - from picker: Mac OS, ubuntu boot OK, windows no display and error 43 if I remember well
Questions:
1. OC can be made to use for example 1,5 value on ResizeAppleGpuBars (1,5G resize bar)? For trying values below 2G.
2. On older firmwares, without resize bar option in bios, this feature is relevant?

If I enable resize bar on bios, I kill sleep on hack with AMD framebuffer error. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miliuco said:

It's a workaround, but it works. As part of the install process, IPG updates Preboot volume (setup window shows info when installation is ending) and it does what we aren't able to do: new volume name is written into  .disk_label / .disk_label_2x  / .disk_label.contentDetails, so OpenCore can read the right name at next boot.

Fist time I read about it was in the other forum, a post of Aug 26, 2020 from joostiphone titled [Solved] OpenCore boot menu. I know it's not an elegant solution but...

Thanks.

Still bizarre that IPG does that.

What's wrong with mounting the preboot volume and manually writing the  .disk_label / .disk_label_2x  / .disk_label.contentDetails to the folder where the boot.efi file resides?

The  .disk_label / .disk_label_2x can be created with OpenCore's utilities

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

What's wrong with mounting the preboot volume and manually writing the  .disk_label / .disk_label_2x  / .disk_label.contentDetails to the folder where the boot.efi file resides?

The  .disk_label / .disk_label_2x can be created with OpenCore's utilities

Yes, disklabel utility is for that task but in my case it doesn't work fine and I'm not able to get those 2 files next to BOOTx64.efi.

@MacNB I'd like to be able to follow your advice.  I tried the steps I outlined here which created the .disk_label and .disk_label_2x files in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT:

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT

Spoiler

256419920_ScreenShot2021-10-12at9_30_47AM.png.43137ec8266faffb4f1a29571776abf2.png

I haven't yet followed the steps to create .disk_label.contentDetails.  Does creation of .disk_label.contentDetails require disabling SIP, or is there another way that's as easy as using disklabel?

EDIT: Note that I had naively tried creating .contentDetails and .disk_label.contentDetails (in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT) where each file contained the desired volume name in clear text, but that didn't work for me.

Edited by tonyx86

14 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

If I enable resize bar on bios, I kill sleep on hack with AMD framebuffer error. 

After more testing, doesn't matter what value I put in ResizeGpuBars, windows boot but with graphic card error 43 and no display. On the other hand, 8 (256MB) on ResizeAppleGpuBars give boot without problems on Windows, Ubuntu and Hack, also no problems with sleep/wake.

Just FYI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

@MacNB I'd like to be able to follow your advice.  I tried the steps I outlined here which created the .disk_label and .disk_label_2x files in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT:

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT

Hide contents

256419920_ScreenShot2021-10-12at9_30_47AM.png.43137ec8266faffb4f1a29571776abf2.png

I haven't yet followed the steps to create .disk_label.contentDetails.  Does creation of .disk_label.contentDetails require disabling SIP, or is there another way that's as easy as using disklabel?

Sorry to ask, but why are you trying to label the EFI volume ?

The EFI volume is for example where the booter resides such as OpenCore's BOOTx64.efi or Windows, or Linux Grub. Normally OC Bootpicker will not display itself in the boot picker list.

Using OC's disklabel utility is easy:

disklabel  -e "OSX HD" .disk_label .disk_label_2x

This will create two hidden files .disk_label & .disk_label_2x  in your current working directory.

You can also create the text file .disk_label.contentDetails using a simple echo command:

echo "OSX HD" > .disk_label.contentDetails

You can list hidden files using :

ls -ial

You then copy (using sudo prefix) the three hidden files to your Preboot volume where boot.efi file resides.

On Big Sur, that file resides in:

/System/Volumes/Preboot/<UUID>/System/Library/CoreServices

where <UUID> is unique folder name on your system.

When you reboot, you will see a disk named OSX HD in the OC Boot Picker.

Edited by MacNB
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

@MacNB For the reason that's probably obvious: I have no idea what I'm doing ;)

🤣 no worries. 

Try it.

BTW, those two  .disk_label & .disk_label_2x files are special bitmap render files used by Apple boot picker and of course OpenCanopy to render onto the screen.

I have not found a graphical tool to display them but did find a terminal command to display the content in textual form to get an idea what is in the label files.

Go to where your .disk_label & .disk_label_2x are located then copy and paste this :

dump_label () { local contents=$(xxd -p -c99999 $1); echo ${contents:10} | perl -pe "s/(..)/\1 /g;s/00/../g;s/ //g;s/(.{$((0x${contents:2:4}*2))})/\1\n/g" ; }
dump_label .disk_label
dump_label .disk_label_2x

It will print out the contents on the screen. Make your terminal window large to see it properly.

I cannot take credit for that clever little script. That goes to a user joevt at MacRumors Forums.

Source of dump_label here on GitHub. 

Edited by MacNB
added source of dump_label
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@miliuco and @MacNB - Your instructions were excellent.  In my case, I didn't need to create any files.  I simply needed to edit the existing .disk_label.contentDetails files in each /System/Volumes/Preboot/<UUID>/System/Library/CoreServices directory.

@miliuco I did need to mount /System/Volumes/Preboot.

After performing the edits, I fully enabled SIP to return my system to its previous baseline.

Thank you for your patience and help!

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

I have no idea what I'm doing ;)

My friend you are part of a very special and unique Club of which I am the CEO - Welcome aboard, may our wisdom transcend above all others. :hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

@Stefanalmare

I see you are working with the new gpubar OpenCore feature so I allow myself to ask you.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  The new  feature only can be used if we have AMD 6000 series (as you do) + motherboard BIOS with rbar option + CPU rbar capable.

Do you know if Intel capable CPUs includes only 10th and 11th gen or Coffee Lake R (9th) also?

It seems to be interesting only for modern games, right?

And about the new quirks, does ResizeAppleGpuBars affects only to macOS and ResizeGpuBars to other OSes? Is it so?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

@Stefanalmare

I see you are working with the new gpubar OpenCore feature so I allow myself to ask you.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  The new  feature only can be used if we have AMD 6000 series (as you do) + motherboard BIOS with rbar option + CPU rbar capable.

Do you know if Intel capable CPUs includes only 10th and 11th gen or Coffee Lake R (9th) also?

It seems to be interesting only for modern games, right?

And about the new quirks, does ResizeAppleGpuBars affects only to macOS and ResizeGpuBars to other OSes? Is it so?

Thanks.

I have i9 9900k, Aorus Master Z390 and bar size working in windows (I'll test it also in ubuntu). So, 9th also work. AMD 6000 and Nvidia 3000 are bar size capable. Yep modern games, each day more. "And about the new quirks, does ResizeAppleGpuBars affects only to macOS and ResizeGpuBars to other OSes? Is it so?", after 2 days experience: yes!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

I have i9 9900k, Aorus Master Z390 and bar size working in windows (I'll test it also in ubuntu). So, 9th also work. AMD 6000 and Nvidia 3000 are bar size capable. Yep modern games, each day more. "And about the new quirks, does ResizeAppleGpuBars affects only to macOS and ResizeGpuBars to other OSes? Is it so?", after 2 days experience: yes!

Thank you!!! Something new to learn. 

• Like 1

@tonyx86

Although your problem is solved, look at what I’ve found on the OpenCore configuration pdf:

How do I customise boot entries?

OpenCore follows standard Apple Bless model and extracts the entry name from .contentDetails and .disk_label.contentDetails files in the booter directory if present. These files contain an ASCII string with an entry title, which may then be customised by the user.

• Like 1