OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,805 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

anyone who use smbios vendor is apple in macos and vendor original in windows?

SpoofVendor is acidanthera in vendor. i don't want it. so i set false it. 

and in macos, show my original board name like LG. i want to set apple inc. like realmac.

also in windows, my product name is macbookpro13,1. it is not real name. i want to set factory name(original).

Set PlatformInfo->Automatic=False ( => which means you are responsible for setting up the SMBIOS )

Set PlatformInfo->Generic->SpoofVendor=False ( => which means use OEM values)

Set PlatformInfo->SMBIOS-> < add all the dict values as per section 10.5 of Configuration.pdf >

I believe the PlatformInfo->SMBIOS->SystemProductName will be OEM name if NOT included into the SMBIOS section otherwise it will be what you specify.

Warning : Existing Windows activation may be an issue if SMBIOS values changes. I did not have any issues. I used the SAME Windows System UUID in the SystemUUID for macOS.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I wanted to as a question related to FileVault

Is there any risk enabling FileVault and then playing around with the OC Settings.

My point is, there are some protocolOverrides that must be tested if they are necessary so what happens if they are needed and not enable, is my system going to get corrupted or i will have simple issues like artifacts etc.

The reason for this is i want to start as minimal as possible and only enable what is necessary for my Firmware.

Set PlatformInfo->Automatic=False ( => which means you are responsible for setting up the SMBIOS )
Set PlatformInfo->SMBIOS->

I believe the PlatformInfo->SMBIOS->SystemProductName will be OEM name if NOT included into the SMBIOS section otherwise it will be what you specify.

Warning : Existing Windows activation may be an issue if SMBIOS values changes. I did not have any issues. I used the SAME Windows System UUID in the SystemUUID for macOS.

thanks alot
can you upload sample file?

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Today i turned on my laptop and had a slow boot and upon logging in i had no graphics acceleration and graphics showing up as 7mb. I have made no changes to config. I tried updating kexts etc with no luck. Updating to 10.15.6 b2 now i might try latest OC master. I am on the latest master.

Solved.

Edited by SavageAUS

@Sherlocks Not using "Apple Inc." is a design decision as both macOS and Linux have components that do check for the vendor string. As for macOS, I think it was EFICheck, for Linux it is the SMC driver (which will actually crash the system as SMC ports are unassigned or have incompatible devices). This cosmetics comes at the cost of safety/compatibility and hence is neither recommended nor supported (though yes, technically allowed by using an all-custom SMBIOS).

• Like 2

hi I booted finally to 0.5.9 but keyboard and mouse are not responding did I do something wrong is this a known behavior

also where is .6.0 located already compiled .

of course it is yoga 2 pro hd4400 4510u

Edited by markl18
set my machine name

12 minutes ago, markl18 said:

hi I booted finally to 0.5.9 but keyboard and mouse are not responding did I do something wrong is this a known behavior

also where is .6.0 located already compiled 

Please add system specs in signature.

2 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

thanks alot
can you upload sample file?

See attached example for my desktop with custom SMBIOS sections that I used in the past. You would have to modify it for a laptop.

But now I just set Automatic=True to turn OFF the custom SMBIOS and set SpoofVendor=False so that motherboard firmware SMBIOS info is used and Windows does not "see" the system as a real Mac.

EXAMPLE-config.plist

[mention=980913]Sherlocks[/mention] Not using "Apple Inc." is a design decision as both macOS and Linux have components that do check for the vendor string. As for macOS, I think it was EFICheck, for Linux it is the SMC driver (which will actually crash the system as SMC ports are unassigned or have incompatible devices). This cosmetics comes at the cost of safety/compatibility and hence is neither recommended nor supported (though yes, technically allowed by using an all-custom SMBIOS).
See attached example for my desktop with custom SMBIOS sections that I used in the past. You would have to modify it for a laptop.

But now I just set Automatic=True to turn OFF the custom SMBIOS and set SpoofVendor=False so that motherboard firmware SMBIOS info is used and Windows does not "see" the system as a real Mac.
EXAMPLE-config.plist

Read Configuration.pdf about UpdateSMBIOSMode = Custom

thanks alot. i will try

Greetings Vit,

Is it possible to put into OC a PNLF like in CLover?  

For whatever reason, the SSDT-PNLF.aml sits in a 32 table on this laptop.  

Search and tried everything under the sun.  Haven't a clue.  

Thanks

One other thing, I have a problem with.

With 6.0 not able to load ALC without DSDT. Don't know why.

When I installed 5.8 without DSDT had ALC working.

1 hour ago, makk said:

Greetings Vit,

Is it possible to put into OC a PNLF like in CLover?  

For whatever reason, the SSDT-PNLF.aml sits in a 32 table on this laptop.  

Search and tried everything under the sun.  Haven't a clue.  

Thanks

One other thing, I have a problem with.

With 6.0 not able to load ALC without DSDT. Don't know why.

When I installed 5.8 without DSDT had ALC working.

i know you ask vit for help. but i posted a PNLF that works for SNB. and has zero 32-bit elements. what happened when you used that device?

3 hours ago, tluck said:

i know you ask vit for help. but i posted a PNLF that works for SNB. and has zero 32-bit elements. what happened when you used that device?

the problem is 64 bit constant in a 32 bit table.  SSDT-PNLF.aml  

sits in the 32 bit table whenever it gets loaded.  this started with mojave. with OC

then to check if this happens with Clover, sure enough.

I was using Clovers built in ADD PNLF fix which does not cause a problem.

can't get around it.  Dsdt is 32 bit math

even revised it but reverts back.

SSDT PNLF is 64 bit. 

Do you have on your guide the LG EDID?

2 hours ago, makk said:

the problem is 64 bit constant in a 32 bit table.  SSDT-PNLF.aml  

sits in the 32 bit table whenever it gets loaded.  this started with mojave. with OC

then to check if this happens with Clover, sure enough.

I was using Clovers built in ADD PNLF fix which does not cause a problem.

can't get around it.  Dsdt is 32 bit math

even revised it but reverts back.

SSDT PNLF is 64 bit. 

Do you have on your guide the LG EDID?

Where do you see a 64-bit constant in that table? You keep repeating the same thing, but I am afraid that:

• I do not understand what you are talking about (i.e. what particular place of the SSDT table you are concerned about).
  • I do not understand what you experience (i.e. what issue do you have from the compiler/macOS/whatever as I do not have it).
  • I do not understand why do you make the conclusions (about 32-bit/64-bit maths).

Could you explain things properly?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MacNB said:

Set PlatformInfo->SMBIOS-> < add all the dict values as per section 10.5 of Configuration.pdf >

i tried all options.

there are no ways to keep original info(bios, model) in windows and mac info(bios, model) in macOS.

exactly i can't keep original on each parts. it's important me. i never think this status before...:worried_anim: on OC.

i just want to keep original in Windows. at least on my real hardware info.

8 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

i tried all options.

there are no ways to keep original info(bios, model) in windows and mac info(bios, model) in macOS.

exactly i can't keep original on each parts. it's important me. i never think this status before...:worried_anim: on OC.

i just want to keep original in Windows. at least on my real hardware info.

SpoofVendor=False only for vendor, it not cancel model and others.

You look that I wrote above.

SpoofVendor=False only for vendor, it not cancel model and others.
You look that I wrote above.
yes. in Mac Geekbench, SpoofVendor=False, i can see my original hardware info. but bios is apple info. it is combination. this option keep and boot windows. my board version is mac model and bios date too. but only show vendor is original.
why OC touch original hardware info in windows?
can we just use smbios info in only macOS?

Yes we can, but it usually isn't required.
You look that I wrote above: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/338516-opencore-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=2725383

custom is not working for me.
uncheck automatic.
check updatedatahub updateNvram updatesmbios.
updatesmbiosoption is custom. also i filled smbios info. some info is blank

@Sherlocks, you are making people very unhappy here by asking the exact same thing for a third time after being given the precise location in the documentation that fully addresses your question. Our development team or the users here are not a chatbot meant to provide 24/7 support for you or give you help reading plain English. In any case, let me repeat what was written in the manual just for the sake of ensuring that you stop bothering us again:

Firstly, why it is done like this by default (Acidanthera in the manufacturer name and Mac SMBIOS in all operating systems):

- The use of "Apple" name in the manufacturing table is discouraged, because it makes several people quite unhappy to receive all sorts of reports from unsupported machines. We make it obvious for them to distinguish and this is the right approach to avoid an unnecessary conflict and benefit all the parties, which we strongly recommend to all our users.

- The use of Mac SMBIOS in Windows fixes issues with Boot Camp installation and makes it easier for the end-user to use Apple software for stuff like Windows ←→ macOS switching.

Secondly, how (and why) can you make Windows get the original SMBIOS:

In some cases OEM software like Dell firmware updaters need the original SMBIOS to run correctly. In this case we provide CustomSMBIOSGuid=YES and UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom options to force the original SMBIOS for all operating systems but macOS. In all other cases this makes no sense and is strongly discouraged.

Thirdly, how to use a different OEM vendor but your original or Acidanthera:

I repeat, this is strongly discouraged, and the functionality that can be used to do this is actually written for different use-cases: older machines without firmware information bundled into OpenCore or Apple Macs that need some tuning of the specific values in the firmware. However, you indeed can achieve providing a custom value for the vendors by setting Automatic=NO and filling DataHub, PlatformNVRAM, and SMBIOS just like it is in SampleFull.plist example.

• Like 4

[mention=980913]Sherlocks[/mention], you are making people very unhappy here by asking the exact same thing for a third time after being given the precise location in the documentation that fully addresses your question. Our development team or the users here are not a chatbot meant to provide 24/7 support for you or give you help reading plain English. In any case, let me repeat what was written in the manual just for the sake of ensuring that you stop bothering us again:

Firstly, why it is done like this by default (Acidanthera in the manufacturer name and Mac SMBIOS in all operating systems):
- The use of "Apple" name in the manufacturing table is discouraged, because it makes several people quite unhappy to receive all sorts of reports from unsupported machines. We make it obvious for them to distinguish and this is the right approach to avoid an unnecessary conflict and benefit all the parties, which we strongly recommend to all our users.
- The use of Mac SMBIOS in Windows fixes issues with Boot Camp installation and makes it easier for the end-user to use Apple software for stuff like Windows ←→ macOS switching.

Secondly, how (and why) can you make Windows get the original SMBIOS:
In some cases OEM software like Dell firmware updaters need the original SMBIOS to run correctly. In this case we provide CustomSMBIOSGuid=YES and UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom options to force the original SMBIOS for all operating systems but macOS. In all other cases this makes no sense and is strongly discouraged.

Thirdly, how to use a different OEM vendor but your original or Acidanthera:
I repeat, this is strongly discouraged, and the functionality that can be used to do this is actually written for different use-cases: older machines without firmware information bundled into OpenCore or Apple Macs that need some tuning of the specific values in the firmware. However, you indeed can achieve providing a custom value for the vendors by setting Automatic=NO and filling DataHub, PlatformNVRAM, and SMBIOS just like it is in SampleFull.plist example.
sorry. recently i changed bootloader. i never understand OC all. i will read OC document carefully.
thanks alot

1 hour ago, Sherlocks said:

custom is not working for me.
uncheck automatic.
check updatedatahub updateNvram updatesmbios.
updatesmbiosoption is custom. also i filled smbios info. some info is blank

For UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom need CustomSMBIOSGuid=YES

Вetter use Automatic=YES

Consider that you can see some Mac names in Windows even аfter change UpdateSMBIOSMode, they can is saved in system Windows when earlier you used Create. You can see some names Mac even having booted in Windows without OpenCore. Reinstallation Windows will help.

• Like 3

Hi,

I want to migrate to OpenCore, But there is only one problem. I can't use VoodooI2C pinning-mode. to do that I need to patch dsdt and change `_CRS` and `_INI` methods. In clover, I was using static patching ( full DSDT.aml). but OpenCore does not allow it. Also, I can't rename _CRS for just one device.

Is there a plan to add Clover's-targetBridge-like feature in OpenCore?

Thanks.

40 minutes ago, sudoali said:

Hi,

I want to migrate to OpenCore, But there is only one problem. I can't use VoodooI2C pinning-mode. to do that I need to patch dsdt and change `_CRS` and `_INI` methods. In clover, I was using static patching ( full DSDT.aml). but OpenCore does not allow it. Also, I can't rename _CRS for just one device.

Is there a plan to add Clover's-targetBridge-like feature in OpenCore?

Thanks.

In OC ACPI patch goes more conditions.
I showed as it to do, look for in this topic.