OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,809 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Sniki said:

Ok so it was scanpolicy, Thanks @Pavo

I have SSDTs for everything, Renames are necessary for Battery Status and Dual Battery Support.

This is the only way "that i currently know" to implement that without patched DSDT, so you can have full hotpatch system.

How would you implement it without Renames and (without Patched DSDT because i want full hotpatch) in this case ?

What would be your recommendations ?

Here is an example of how I do my rename for my ethernet port on-board. BR1B > ETH0

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.PEX0)
    {
        If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
        {
            Scope (BR1B)
            {
                Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                {
                    Return (Zero)
                }
            }

Device (ETH0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                {
                    Return (0x0F)
                }
            }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
            {
                Return (Package (0x02)
                {
                    "location", 
                    Buffer (0x02)
                    {
                        "1"
                    }
                })
            }
        }
    }

On 9/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, ham4ever said:

I managed to solve a lot fails by looking at the comments and reading the manual.

i have one single fail left that i couldn't find anything about it:

OCB: Failed to match a default boot option.

EDIT: to be clear, the system does boot and all, is just that line appears before booting and is bothering me. 

I have the same issue since updating to OC 0.5.1. Did you find a fix for this? (I tried selecting the startup disk in system preferences)

EDIT: the fix is setting RequestBootVarRouting = TRUE

Edited by canyondust
  • Like 1

Hi all OpenCore testers,

I encountered an issue with assigning default boot option and hope if anyone could shed me some light. Assigning default boot option via Startup Disk preference panel doesn't seem to have any effect to the default boot-up option of OpenCore. I changed it to two different disks but the OpenCore default stays still the first one (an EFI). 

I can see that efi-boot-device in nvram.plist is able to change according to the selection on Startup Disk preference panel. However that doesn't change what OpenCore brings up as the default. 

These are tested with RequestBootVarRouting enabled. When disabled, the default booting option stayed on the second entry of the booting list (another EFI...), regardless of what was chosen on the Startup Disk preference panel. 

Other than this issue, OpenCore has been working flawlessly with my hack. Well done guys! 

My plist can be found below, and the specs. Thanks. 

CPU: i5-8500

GPU: Sapphire RX580 Pulse

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000

Motherboard/Laptop model: Gigabyte B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI

config copy.plist

On 10/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, duffs said:

When installing catalina i got error "an error occurred while verifying firmware" it turns out that my FirmwareFeatures ported from clover was wrong. Fixing that, install went thru just fine. Used one from sample.plis.

Missing some functionality from clover like "lastbootedvolume". When installing Macos on reboot  clover automatically selected "macOS installer" and continue installing. does this work?

i have the same problem opencore catalina 5.0.1 install ,  

How did you solve this problem? please

Hello everyone, was wondering if someone could answer this question. I am on the latest Open core 0.5.2 and have have noticed this issue for the last few builds. When I select OC to boot quickly before the picker menu is shown, I get the following message: "OCS: No schema for DevicePathsSupported at 0 index!"

Any ideas as couldn't find this anywhere?

The only issue I have with OC is after booting Windows 10 I can no longer boot Catalina. I get " Error loading kernel cache " Mohave boots no problem and Catalina will boot with Clover just fine. I can boot mohave and catalina just fine with OC multiple times as long as I don't boot windows. Still trying to figure this out, will have to stay with clover until I do.

ok, I am at a loss, I have poured over the configuration documents many times and still can't get my system to boot.I got OC .3 to boot mostly, but that was using AptioMemoryFix which is now been absorbed into OC and other functions. the page in the documents that discuss how to get it working are extremely vague and simply point out what appears to be unrelated Quirks that if you search the documentation on don't say if they need to be on or off. Attached are 2 files, 1 my freshly compiled .5.1 OC folder with a config.plist that I know will not boot, because it gives me the dreaded (ERROR allocating 0x##### pages at 0x000000000######## alloc Type 2, Couldn't allocate runtime area) or worse just fails to do anything after making a selection one a Clover config file that will boot the system correctly.  Can someone please help, or point me in the direction that will allow me to resolve the issues?

TLDR: My OC files will boot .3, but when I try to move onto any that don't use AptioMemoryFix I can't get the system to boot, looking for help.  Attached are the OC EFI (not working) and a working Clover config for my system.

System in Question is the Z390 DESIGNARE

HBP

clover_config.plist

EFI.zip

Edited by HBP

Hey, so my system instantly reboots after moving fine working build with Clover to OpenCore. I don't have any Macs (VM too) so I can't fix it directly.

Screenshot_2019-10-09-20-26-06-862_com.g
This is what I get before reboot.
This is my config.plist: https://pastebin.com/0vSaVDD1 (without iMessage because I had it working under Clover).
Drivers:
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
FwRuntimeServices.efi
VBoxHfs.efi
VirtualSmc.efi

Kexts:
AppleALC.kext
Lilu.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
SMCProcessor.kext
SMCSuperIO.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

I suppose it's not working due to EC not being faked/patched, but because I don't have access to macOS to get DSDT and patch them, I need probably to get working old Clover build (I have backup) or wait for OpenCore dev to implement directly EC faking under Catalina?

7 minutes ago, HBP said:

ok, I am at a loss, I have poured over the configuration documents many times and still can't get my system to boot.I got OC .3 to boot mostly, but that was using AptioMemoryFix which is now been absorbed into OC and other functions. the page in the documents that discuss how to get it working are extremely vague and simply point out what appears to be unrelated Quirks that if you search the documentation on don't say if they need to be on or off. Attached are 2 files, 1 my freshly compiled .5.1 OC folder with a config.plist that I know will not boot, because it gives me the dreaded (ERROR allocating 0x##### pages at 0x000000000######## alloc Type 2, Couldn't allocate runtime area) or worse just fails to do anything after making a selection one a Clover config file that will boot the system correctly.  Can someone please help, or point me in the direction that will allow me to resolve the issues?

TLDR: My OC files will boot .3, but when I try to move onto any that don't use AptioMemoryFix I can't get the system to boot, looking for help.  Attached are the OC EFI (not working) and a working Clover config for my system.

HBP

clover_config.plist

EFI.zip

1. Try to enable Booter->Quirks->AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

2. Which system is this EFI for? You have three in your signature.

3. Some options seem to be missing from your config.plist. Start fresh with the SampleFull.plist corresponding to your OC 0.5.1 build, or compare with it and add missing options.

4. I see you have DSDT.aml defined in the ACPI->Add section, but the file seems to be missing. And DSDT patching isn't recommended anyway.

5. You have multiple ACPI renames in place, and most of them shouldn't be needed, I would suggest you start with no renames at all and fix them one at a time.

6. The `Fix RTC _STA` should be achieved by using SSDT patch provided in OpenCorePkg->Docs->AcpiSamples

7. Although I'm not sure about the ACPI->Block section, I would suggest you disable them until you're sure that it is absolutely required to boot

8. In OC 0.5.1 you shouldn't use AptioMemoryFix since its functionalities are mostly merged into OC and some separated in FwRuntimeServices. Just include FwRuntimeServices and enable the Booter quirks. You can find detailed information in the Configuration.pdf

That's all I can see in a glance for now.. :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maddie said:

1. Try to enable Booter->Quirks->AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

2. Which system is this EFI for? You have three in your signature.

3. Some options seem to be missing from your config.plist. Start fresh with the SampleFull.plist corresponding to your OC 0.5.1 build, or compare with it and add missing options.

4. I see you have DSDT.aml defined in the ACPI->Add section, but the file seems to be missing. And DSDT patching isn't recommended anyway.

5. You have multiple ACPI renames in place, and most of them shouldn't be needed, I would suggest you start with no renames at all and fix them one at a time.

6. The `Fix RTC _STA` should be achieved by using SSDT patch provided in OpenCorePkg->Docs->AcpiSamples

7. Although I'm not sure about the ACPI->Block section, I would suggest you disable them until you're sure that it is absolutely required to boot

8. In OC 0.5.1 you shouldn't use AptioMemoryFix since its functionalities are mostly merged into OC and some separated in FwRuntimeServices. Just include FwRuntimeServices and enable the Booter quirks. You can find detailed information in the Configuration.pdf

That's all I can see in a glance for now.. :)

the system (sry I forgot the add that) is the Z390 DESGINARE.

HBP

8 minutes ago, HBP said:

the system (sry I forgot the add that) is the Z390 DESGINARE.

HBP

Z370 you mean, I presume?

If so, your Z370 machine is quite similar to mine (ASUS Z370-F).

Here is my EFI folder, fill in your SMBIOS info and see it helps. You might need some minor changes to make everything work.

My OC could be slightly older than yours, 0.5.1 still, but right before the "MinKernel/MaxKernel" commit. So if you're gonna test it out I would suggest you replace the whole thing, and upgrade later if you want.

EFI.zip

EDIT: It doesn't have the Thunderbolt ACPI patch since my board doesn't have TB. You might have to add it yourself.

Edited by maddie
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, maddie said:

Z370 you mean, I presume?

If so, your Z370 machine is quite similar to mine (ASUS Z370-F).

Here is my EFI folder, fill in your SMBIOS info and see it helps. You might need some minor changes to make everything work.

My OC could be slightly older than yours, 0.5.1 still, but right before the "MinKernel/MaxKernel" commit. So if you're gonna test it out I would suggest you replace the whole thing, and upgrade later if you want.

EFI.zip

EDIT: It doesn't have the Thunderbolt ACPI patch since my board doesn't have TB. You might have to add it yourself.

no luck, it might be I am tired, will try it again in the morning

hbp

• Like 1

got the bright idea to try every boot option (I have 5) and what I can see is that recovery mode on 10.14.6 and 10.15 do nothing, while normal mode gives me this Error (see attached). I have gone into the EFI Shell and tried to launch boot.efi manually and it appears that it is not patching/debugging on boot. 

no luck, it might be I am tired, will try it again in the morning

hbp

IMG_1468.jpeg

16 hours ago, littlegtplr said:

Hi all OpenCore testers,

I encountered an issue with assigning default boot option and hope if anyone could shed me some light. Assigning default boot option via Startup Disk preference panel doesn't seem to have any effect to the default boot-up option of OpenCore. I changed it to two different disks but the OpenCore default stays still the first one (an EFI). 

I can see that efi-boot-device in nvram.plist is able to change according to the selection on Startup Disk preference panel. However that doesn't change what OpenCore brings up as the default. 

These are tested with RequestBootVarRouting enabled. When disabled, the default booting option stayed on the second entry of the booting list (another EFI...), regardless of what was chosen on the Startup Disk preference panel. 

Other than this issue, OpenCore has been working flawlessly with my hack. Well done guys! 

My plist can be found below, and the specs. Thanks. 

CPU: i5-8500

GPU: Sapphire RX580 Pulse

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000

Motherboard/Laptop model: Gigabyte B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI

config copy.plist

It seems like OpenCore default boot option isn't compatible with emulated nvram. When asked about it on the acidanthera bug tracker, one of the devs replied that you should simply go and buy a z370 board instead. It's a shame because all current gen intel motherboards have incompatible nvram.

I ended up just setting up ScanPolicy to make sure that my macOS disk was the first boot option.

Edited by yobro

3 hours ago, yobro said:

It seems like OpenCore default boot option isn't compatible with emulated nvram. When asked about it on the acidanthera bug tracker, one of the devs replied that you should simply go and buy a z370 board instead. It's a shame because all current gen intel motherboards have incompatible nvram.

I ended up just setting up ScanPolicy to make sure that my macOS disk was the first boot option.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that the failure of default bootup assignment is directly linked to the emulated nvram. 

Setting up ScanPolicy sounds like a decent workaround. I've looked up the manual and figured out how to set the number in the plist. Will try this today or tomorrow. Cheers 

Edited by littlegtplr

4 minutes ago, linvers said:

00:000 00:000 OCC: No compatible mode for 1920x1080@0 (max: 0) resolution
00:112 00:112 OC: Changed resolution to 1920x1080@0 (max: 0) from 1920x1080@30 - Not Found

Resolution is not working,how to fix it?

I'm not sure but '1920x1080@32' works for me

7 hours ago, HBP said:

System in Question is the Z370 DESIGNARE

HBP

clover_config.plist

EFI.zip

You are missing a ton of things that have to be in the config. Try this EFI

EFI.zip

• Like 2

Hi every one,

I'm using Clover and try to change to OpenCore(0.5.1) but I'm stucking with follow error.

276b966165f048f5bf145519a5763db6.jpg

This is some info about my system:

- Running Mojave with Clover

- motherboard Z370

- Chip Coffee Lake i8400

- Using usb bluetooth dongle (BCM20702A0)

- TP-Link Archer T9E for wifi

- Card AMD RX 570

I also attach EFI folder here.

Thank you very much for any advise !

EFI.zip

Edited by hoangtuan211

19 minutes ago, hoangtuan211 said:

Hi every one,

I'm using Clover and try to change to OpenCore(0.5.1) but I'm stucking with follow error.

276b966165f048f5bf145519a5763db6.jpg

This is some info about my system:

- Running Mojave with Clover

- motherboard Z370

- Chip Coffee Lake i8400

- Using usb bluetooth dongle (BCM20702A0)

- TP-Link Archer T9E for wifi

- Card AMD RX 570

I also attach EFI folder here.

Thank you very much for any advise !

EFI.zip

Try this EFI, people really need to stop using ACPI > Patches to do ACPI renames, if you need to rename a device use a SSDT. Think of comparing Clover and OpenCore to a Automatic and Manual transmission in a vehicle. Clover is the Automatic and OpenCore is the manual. You can not do things with a manual that you can do in an automatic.

EFI.zip

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Try this EFI, people really need to stop using ACPI > Patches to do ACPI renames, if you need to rename a device use a SSDT. Think of comparing Clover and OpenCore to a Automatic and Manual transmission in a vehicle. Clover is the Automatic and OpenCore is the manual. You can not do things with a manual that you can do in an automatic.

EFI.zip

Hi Pavo,

out of curiosity i gave a look at your EFI.zip and compared with the other one. You just removed most of the ACPI patches from his config but you didn't create any SSDT patch file for the one you've removed from the config. Is it because OpenCore will take care of that patches by itself or the user have to create them later on ?

Thanks

Mattia

3 minutes ago, tmbt said:

Hi Pavo,

out of curiosity i gave a look at your EFI.zip and compared with the other one. You just removed most of the ACPI patches from his config but you didn't create any SSDT patch file for the one you've removed from the config. Is it because OpenCore will take care of that patches by itself or the user have to create them later on ?

Thanks

Mattia

You have to create them yourself and I have already posted an example of how to do renames with SSDT, but if its to hard for someone to search the forums for that example, I'll hold your hands..... Here is an example of renaming a BR1B organic device to a Apple ETH0 device for ethernet on an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board.

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "Pavo", "LAN", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEX0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEX0.BR1B, DeviceObj)

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
    {
        Scope (\_SB.PCI0.PEX0)
        {
            Scope (BR1B)
            {
                {
                    Return (Zero)
                }
            }

Device (ETH0)