macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware Workstation

102 posts in this topic

Just now, equ1nox said:

If u try it and it works, can u tell me that it did?

Sure. Will try this a bit later this evening and let you know.

(It is past 8 PM here right now, but I have work to still do.)

To above other poster - by no viruses I mean there are no viruses here!
If you are worried this has a virus, solution is simple:

1) Do not use modified VMware Workstation - just purchase a real Mac and run it on that, which is officially supported by Apple & VMware.

2) Use VMware Workstation to run only Linux and Windows Guests, ask a non-afraid friend to test the Mac parts for you. :) 

Good luck! ;) 

12 minutes ago, Naki said:

To above other poster - by no viruses I mean there are no viruses here!
If you are worried this has a virus, solution is simple:

1) Do not use modified VMware Workstation - just purchase a real Mac and run it on that, which is officially supported by Apple & VMware.

2) Use VMware Workstation to run only Linux and Windows Guests, ask a non-afraid friend to test the Mac parts for you. :) 

Good luck! ;) 

This has nothing to do with Apple or VMware. This is the fact that the files someone posted are detected by multiple engines to contain a virus. Not afraid, just not stupid. No reason to act like an ass about it. 

Edited by mkitchin
type
  • Like 1

I think the actual macOS Unlocker files will get you the same "virus" results.

Too little time to test this, as I trust Donk will not allow this in his files. :) 

1 hour ago, Naki said:

I think the actual macOS Unlocker files will get you the same "virus" results.

Too little time to test this, as I trust Donk will not allow this in his files. :) 

I've used since the first release, and there was a brief false positive a while ago, but Donk fixed it. Donk didn't release this update, and the fact that it is detected by multiple virus engines is suspicious. I'm installing PyInstaller right now to try to compile again and see what happens. If Donk had released it, I would be less concerned. 

Edited by mkitchin
  • Like 1

I am not a Python expert as I only use C/C++ and .NET in my programming, but as I read the source code of the modified script, I see nothing wrong with it.

It most certainly does not add any extra EXE files or DLL files to the VMware Workstation folder.

All it does is do the changes to the EXE file(s) necessary, same thing the official Donk script does.

Still, you are correct that maybe we should wait for Donk to react. :)

2 minutes ago, Naki said:

I am not a Python expert as I only use C/C++ and .NET in my programming, but as I read the source code of the modified script, I see nothing wrong with it.

It most certainly does not add any extra EXE files or DLL files to the VMware Workstation folder.

All it does is do the changes to the EXE file(s) necessary, same thing the official Donk script does.

Still, you are correct that maybe we should wait for Donk to react. :)

The python file looks fine. It is the compiled exe that seems to have a virus. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mkitchin said:

I recompiled unlocker.exe only and zipped everything back up. It all passes a Windows Defender scan now, and I verified it worked with VMware workstation 15.5. You can download it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/w4khcmcu7hqo1a7/MK-unlocker.zip/file

I've run MK-unlocker but it still error

can you tell me how to fix it?

thank you

1.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I've run MK-unlocker but it still error

can you tell me how to fix it?

thank you

1.png

This was not a fix for the tools issue. I would download them manually. This was a fix to make macOS show up as an option in VMware 15.5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkitchin said:

This was not a fix for the tools issue. I would download them manually. This was a fix to make macOS show up as an option in VMware 15.5.

I see

Could you please tell me how to fix that error?

Or
Do you have any idea about that error?

Thank you!

Edited by Katsumoto
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I see

Could you please tell me how to fix that error?

Or
Do you have any idea about that error?

Thank you!

Download this file: https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.5.0/14634996/core/com.vmware.fusion.zip.tar

Unzip it (might need 7zip), unizp it again. Keep unzipping and drilling down until you get to \com.vmware.fusion.zip\com.vmware.fusion\payload\VMware Fusion.app\Contents\Library\isoimages

Mount the iso file darwin.iso in VMware on your macOS VM. Then open it in macOS and launch the install. In theory, you should be able to copy that file to the correct folder on your PC and launch VMware tools install from the VMware GUI, but I wasn't able to make that work. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mkitchin said:

The python file looks fine. It is the compiled exe that seems to have a virus. 

There is no virus it's a false positive due to the use of Pyinstaller. It's happened before with the stub executable that is added to the zipped up Python code and interpreter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donk said:

There is no virus it's a false positive due to the use of Pyinstaller. It's happened before with the stub executable that is added to the zipped up Python code and interpreter.

Got it. Thanks for the info. For some reason it no longer detected a virus when I compiled it again. Not sure what the difference might have been. Maybe a newer version of some component? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkitchin said:

Got it. Thanks for the info. For some reason it no longer detected a virus when I compiled it again. Not sure what the difference might have been. Maybe a newer version of some component? 

Yeah, mine also showed as a virus as well, but it did indeed work! Mounting the iso and installing VMWare tools inside the OS worked as well. Thanks!

4 hours ago, BDisp said:

@mkitchin it's working fine, thanks. I wonder you'll write a tutorial to explain which bytes have to have to read/write and in which files :) For the gettools there are a solution here https://github.com/paolo-projects/unlocker/blob/master/gettools.py where is downloaded the lasted valid tools packages.

Thanks. I just updated gettools.py file and recompiled the exe in my zip file linked in my original post. I tested it and it does work. It is pulling the fusion 11.1 instead of 11.5 files. I'm not sure if that is a problem. There is a way to pull the 11.5 files, but it will be a little more complicated given how it is now bundled into the overall install. If you are asking for a tutorial in how the patching process works, I bring very little to the table. Someone else on here did the work. I just repackaged everything, complied it, and made it available. My files are likely temporary. @Donk is the owner/author of this app. At some point, I assume he will update his Github site with his final version of everything. I was just trying to help people a little bit in the interim. For anyone who doesn't feel like searching for the link, my files are stored here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/w4khcmcu7hqo1a7/MK-unlocker.zip/file 

• Like 4

I already confirmed that the iso files only start appear in the "com.vmware.fusion.zip\payload\VMware Fusion.app\Contents\Library\isoimages" beginning from the 11.5.0 version. So, the gettools script have to be change to get the tools from the packages folder and if it's not found then it has to get in the core folder. That is not easy but it's less difficult than the unlocker script for sure :)

1 hour ago, BDisp said:

I already confirmed that the iso files only start appear in the "com.vmware.fusion.zip\payload\VMware Fusion.app\Contents\Library\isoimages" beginning from the 11.5.0 version. So, the gettools script have to be change to get the tools from the packages folder and if it's not found then it has to get in the core folder. That is not easy but it's less difficult than the unlocker script for sure :)

Yep. I could code it in bash or batch, but I don't really know Python. I will certainly be willing to help, but the original author is way stronger than me in this area. I did just download the latest tools and extract them from https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.5.0/14634996/core/com.vmware.fusion.zip.tar to poke around a little more. There are no .sig files. I wonder if that is why I was unable deploy those tools with the GUI. 

Edited by mkitchin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, David-B said:

What are we supposed to apply the diff to? When I try to apply the patch, I get corruption errors when trying to use against Donk's repo.

My patch is made for github/DrDonk/unlocker/master, but some people already integrated it in their forks. At this point, it's easier to use a patched repo; one is posted a few messages above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Florin9doi said:

My patch is made for github/DrDonk/unlocker/master, but some people already integrated it in their forks. At this point, it's easier to use a patched repo; one is posted a few messages above.

Thank you. I found it. Still weird that I could not get the patch to apply though because I tried it on github/DrDonk/unlocker/master.

5 hours ago, David-B said:

Thank you. I found it. Still weird that I could not get the patch to apply though because I tried it on github/DrDonk/unlocker/master.

There is no straight way to see in github what fork is working well. We must see in pull requests and read the comments information about the their commits and in case is working well and the owner hasn't merged it yet we open his fork and download it.