VirtualSMC — SMC Emulator

vit9696
760 posts in this topic

Vcore is the limit of the voltage the CPU can use while the VID is the voltage the CPU uses at any particular moment depending by its frequency range. The CPU communicate the VID to the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) which send the correct Vcore to use. (large use of google :))

VID --> VRM --> Vcore

Basically VID is it a request, VRM allow or disallow and regulate the request, and Vcore is the final the CPU uses.

Edited by vector sigma

I'm trying to switch from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC and also SMCBatteryManager.

It looks good at first sight, but SMCBattery manager shows me 0 cycle count on battery. ACPIBatteryManager shows correct count.

I saw, that there is fix for battery cycle count 4 months ago, but even with latest version it shows 0.

Is there some relation between VirtualSMC and SSDT patches? I currenty use this one (https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/hotpatch/SSDT-BATT-G4.asl) for my battery.

Thank you for advices.

• 1 month later...

Today I decided to give a new look to VirtualSMC. For a long time, I consider it to unstable for my legacy configuration and relied on FakeSMC as I did for years. Just searching the web, I have discovered that VirtualSMC is updated regulary, FakeSMC is not updated as a release since October. Slice has taken over the developement of FakeSMC last year, but I suspect that FakeSMC is already becoming deprecated, like Chameleon became deprecated in favour of Clover. So, if Slice of Vector Sigma see this, I ask: Is this true? Would Slice become a developer of VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC? If so, would you advise me to switch to VirtualSMC from FakeSMC on a legacy machine running Catalina?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

On my iMac18,3 hack : SMC is detected as version 2 MMIO. (Just like it should be)

On my Macmini 8,1 hack SMC is detected as version 1 PMIO. (Version 3) is it a bug in virtualSMC ?

Or a bug in OpenCore reporting v1 instead v2 ?

EDIT: I answer to myself, there's some informations missing about SMC revision and branch, not available atm. 

EDIT: T2 chipset. 

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      init: @ (DBG) successfully created vsmc provider instance

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) found APP0001 compatible service SMC

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) ignoring self by class name

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) found 0 smc devices

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) obtained device model info from the bootloader

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) getting buffer rev from GenericV1 (override 0)

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) getting buffer revfb from GenericV1 (override 0)

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) getting buffer revfu from GenericV1 (override 0)

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) getting buffer branch from GenericV1 (override 0)

kernel: (Lilu) VirtualSMC      vsmc: @ (DBG) detected model smc-piketon from GenericV1 (override 0)

I use vsmcgen=2 in boot-args. :)

i really don't know the main differences and if it has an impact on my hack.

Fred

Edited by FredWst
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, arabesc said:

I've updated VirtualSMC from version 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and my system no more comes to desktop, there's just a black screen.

Is it a know issue?

Same result on all of my machines also, Intel and Ryzen. Clover and OpenCore 0.5.6. Never loads to desktop. Revert to 1.1.1 and all is back to normal

Hi,

VirtualSMC last git push : Disable modules as they break Coverity.

If I understand you're with AMD Cpu with SMCAMDProcessor kext.

VirtualSMC should be the reason not OpenCore 0.5.7.

Revert back virtualSMC should solve your issue.

Fred

Edited by FredWst
  • Like 1

Hi there,

I'm been testing VirtualSMC on my system and its running fine, but the only thing that doesn't work is GPU temperature.

I've a GeForce 710. Is there a chance to have temperature of GPU on Nvidia with VirtualSMC?

Currently, I have FakeSMC installed alongside GeforceSensors.

Thanks 

3 hours ago, pepitillo said:

Hi there,

I'm been testing VirtualSMC on my system and its running fine, but the only thing that doesn't work is GPU temperature.

I've a GeForce 710. Is there a chance to have temperature of GPU on Nvidia with VirtualSMC?

Currently, I have FakeSMC installed alongside GeforceSensors.

Thanks 

No GPU sensors.

CC @joedm ru

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. How can I configure the Rx580 fans to work at a certain temperature?

Привет. Как то можно настроит вентиляторы Rx580  на повышенную работу при определенной температуре?

OS Catalina 10.15.4 | Gigabyte b450 bch3 |Ryzen 2600 | Radeon RX 580 8 ГБ

Edited by Alex_za

On 4/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, tikizondo94 said:

Same result on all of my machines also, Intel and Ryzen.

It's strange, many people reported this with VSMC 1.1.2 and reverted to 1.1.1, but with the build I have in signature down here I had no issues with 1.1.2

Hello. iStat was working perfectly on my Hackintosh. The CPU and GPU temps are no longer displaying. I have fully updated to OpenCore 0.5.8 and latest VirtualSMC and associated drivers. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, neemagha said:

Привет. iStat отлично работал на моем Хакинтоше. Температуры CPU и GPU больше не отображаются. Я полностью обновился до OpenCore 0.5.8 и последней версии VirtualSMC и связанных драйверов. Какие-либо предложения?

I installed OpenCore 0.5.7, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4, VirtualSMS updated in OpenCore configurator. 

Edited by tyta