Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
520 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kaneske said:

@Mieze Beta 6 has changed the Game again and AQ107 is not functioning with the provided Patch.

Would you be so kind???

PLS?

In the mean time this patch (https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330614-marvell-aquantia-10-gb-ethernet-support-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2760231) seems to be still working in macOS 12 Beta 6. 

• 1 month later...

😀I'd like to contribute and confirm that the TPLINK TX 401 is working at full speed on two different Hacks!   Which is pretty awesome because in Australia you can get a card for $109AUD from Scorptec at the moment.

I've used the updated Kernel>Patch Find and Replace in the Original Post.  All thanks to @d5aqoep and @Mieze and others for your contributions to this thread :)

The Two Computers are

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - iMac20,2 - i9 10900k - 5700xt | 11.6 | 0.7.4

ASUS z370 Prime A-II - iMac19,2 - i7 8700k | 11.6 | 0.6.4

At the moment they are connected directly to each other on a different IP address under the same subnet and are achieving the max speeds possible with the current NVME drives installed.  Latest Big Sur and different Open Core boot loaders don't seem to make a difference with install/performance.

See attached screenshots of 10GBase-T Speeds and Black Magic Disk Speed test running to a Samsung Evo NVME Drive on the Z490 and a WD Blue NVME on the Z370.  The Read speads are the same as locally (2000mb+/s, the write speeds seem to throttle and fluctuate between 200-1100mb/s). I've change the MTU between 1500 Standard and 9000 jumbo, but doesn't seem to make a difference.  Any opinions on that setting?

The final use case for this setup will be using the ASUS hack as a full time video production server with 10 HDD's and the ASUS Hyper X16 as a super fast NVME raid controller.  Both hacks will be connected to the dual 10GB ports on the ASUS RT AX89x.  I will need to adapt the SPF port on the AX89X with one of these pretty nifty SPF to 10G Transceivers:

https://www.fs.com/au/products/66613.html 

Figured I'd share if anyone was thinking of purchasing the TPLINK card and wondering if it would work with latest Big Sur 11.6

z370 Screenshots:

z370 TX401 hardware.png

z370 system profile.png

z490 Screenshots:

z490 system profile.png

z490 tx401 hardware.png

Z370 to Z490 Samsung EVO NVME via 10gb ethernet:

z370 to z490 NVME Samsung EVO speed test.png

Z490 Samsung EVO NVME locally:

z490 local NVME speeds.png

Z490 to Z370 WD Blue NVME via 10gb ethernet:

z490 to z370 NVME WD Blue speed test.png

Edited by valueimagery
  • Like 2

For Monterey release Kernel patch no longer works. The card is not even showing up in Ethernet section.

P.S. Did not see the Monterey fix. After the fix patch is working like before! My bad.

Edited by sash11

Hello everyone, I'm trying to get the ASUS XG-C100C working on Big Sur 11.2.3 and Opencore 0.7.5 ( Aorus x390 Master + i9 9900k ).

The system boot without using the Kext Patch of the first post. But enabling the kext patch the system is rebooted after a few seconds on the login screen.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Some advice on how to fix this?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, DeadSinn said:

Hello everyone, I'm trying to get the ASUS XG-C100C working on Big Sur 11.2.3 and Opencore 0.7.5 ( Aorus x390 Master + i9 9900k ).

The system boot without using the Kext Patch of the first post. But enabling the kext patch the system is rebooted after a few seconds on the login screen.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Some advice on how to fix this?

Thanks

I have not had the issue you are experiencing, but I'm on a newer version of macOS. Any reason you are not upgrading to 11.6.1?

Nevermind, it was my fault!

I updated OpenCore and I was trying to boot using a test USB before to move the configuration to the main EFI partition.

I forgot to load all the aml files and kext from the working configuration. The strange thing is that even without them, mac os was still booting 😅. That's why i didn't noticed before.

Fixing the OpenCore configuration fixed the issue, now the card is working great using the first post patch.

I've updated to 11.6.1 too and the card is still working.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:08 PM, DeadSinn said:

Nevermind, it was my fault!

I updated OpenCore and I was trying to boot using a test USB before to move the configuration to the main EFI partition.

I forgot to load all the aml files and kext from the working configuration. The strange thing is that even without them, mac os was still booting 😅. That's why i didn't noticed before.

Fixing the OpenCore configuration fixed the issue, now the card is working great using the first post patch.

I've updated to 11.6.1 too and the card is still working.

If system booted without some acpi tables and kexts, maybe they are not needed in your case?))

Edited by sash11

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is a new Patch for 12.3 Beta1 because the kext changed.

* com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

* Find: 0F844503 0000

* Replace: 660F1F44 0000

<dict>
                                <key>Arch</key>
                                <string>Any</string>
                                <key>Base</key>
                                <string>__ZN27AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion5startEP9IOService</string>
                                <key>Comment</key>
                                <string>Aquantia AQC107 patch 12.3</string>
                                <key>Count</key>
                                <integer>1</integer>
                                <key>Enabled</key>
                                <true/>
                                <key>Find</key>
                                <data>D4RFAwAA</data>
                                <key>Identifier</key>
                                <string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
                                <key>Limit</key>
                                <integer>0</integer>
                                <key>Mask</key>
                                <data></data>
                                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                                <string></string>
                                <key>MinKernel</key>
                                <string>21.4.0</string>
                                <key>Replace</key>
                                <data>Zg8fRAAA</data>
                                <key>ReplaceMask</key>
                                <data></data>
                                <key>Skip</key>
                                <integer>0</integer>
                        </dict>

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 5:12 AM, Shikumo said:

Here is a new Patch for 12.3 Beta1 because the kext changed.

* com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

* Find: 0F844503 0000

* Replace: 660F1F44 0000

<dict>
                                <key>Arch</key>
                                <string>Any</string>
                                <key>Base</key>
                                <key>Comment</key>
                                <string>Aquantia AQC107 patch 12.3</string>
                                <key>Count</key>
                                <integer>1</integer>
                                <key>Enabled</key>
                                <true/>
                                <key>Find</key>
                                <data>D4RFAwAA</data>
                                <key>Identifier</key>
                                <key>Limit</key>
                                <integer>0</integer>
                                <key>Mask</key>
                                <data></data>
                                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                                <string></string>
                                <key>MinKernel</key>
                                <string>21.4.0</string>
                                <key>Replace</key>
                                <data>Zg8fRAAA</data>
                                <key>ReplaceMask</key>
                                <data></data>
                                <key>Skip</key>
                                <integer>0</integer>
                        </dict>

That doesnt work on Creatorr TRX40.

That's too bad, as I just updated to 12.3 Beta 2 and this patch is still working for me.

How did you apply the patch? Make sure to fill in the Base and Count parameters as shown above, so that only the intended parts will be replaced.

Did any of the old patches work for you before? Which one?

On 2/9/2022 at 3:46 AM, Shikumo said:

That's too bad, as I just updated to 12.3 Beta 2 and this patch is still working for me.

How did you apply the patch? Make sure to fill in the Base and Count parameters as shown above, so that only the intended parts will be replaced.

Did any of the old patches work for you before? Which one?

Quite a few users with Aquantia onboard motherboard are saying the same. All the patches of the past and this new one dont seem to work. You get green light on the network but it doesnt work, and you get a freeze which requires a reboot.

The Big Sur Patch worked upto before 12.3 betas. Your patch amendment doesnt work for TRX40 users and maybe some other boards.

Edited by driftwood
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 7:52 AM, Shikumo said:

Maybe it's a firmware issue. You can try to update it. I'm running this one (https://www.marvell.com/content/dam/marvell/en/drivers/MarvellFlashUpdate_1.80.3_3.1.121a.zip)

I know there is a Aquantia driver / fw for Windows 11 on their site for the TRX40 Creator. I wonder why the Mac Monterey 12.3 beta driver address has changed? I mean, why would they do that? Sounds like a throwback to the 10.13.3 days.  Can you confirm YOUR driver fw number for the Aquantia working under Monterey beta 12.3?

Edited by driftwood

As far as I can tell there was no change in functionality (The driver still reports version 1.0.64). I suppose the compiler just shifted the address around.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with "driver fw number". But my Aquantia was running fine with fw 3.1.121 as linked above. Out of curiosity I'm currently running fw 4.2.40 (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/en/products/workstations/thinkstation-p-series-workstations/thinkstation-p620/downloads/ds546568-marvell-ethernet-firmware-for-windows-10-64-bit-thinkstation-p620). The version number is even stated in macOS's System Report or in ioreg.

| |   |       |   "IOFirmwareVersion" = "4.2.40"

It seems to be running fine now, but only yesterday after some reboots it would not recognize the connection until I did a "ifconfig down"-"ifconfig up" cycle or reconnected the ethernet cable.

As you are running also on an ASRock board I would expect the used chip to be the same. So I find this different behavior quite curious.

PS: I reverted the FW to 3.1.121 which has always worked without issues sofar.

Edited by Shikumo
Mention FW reversion to 3.1.121

I recently swapped out my Syba 10GbE card for the TP-Link TX401 which has been working much better with my system (specs here). Works fine under Win 10, Big Sur, and Monterey.  However, my main OS is Catalina (10.15.7), and I'm still having some issues.  When the cable is connected, the LEDs light up like it thinks it's connected. However, while the service appears in the Network control panel, it says "Not Connected."  There have been a instances where it will work for a short period of time, but that's rare and intermittent. 

1778051800_ScreenShot2022-02-18at6_06_36PM.thumb.png.40c60e5044e58031b1ade19d149390e6.png

481229023_ScreenShot2022-02-02at5_37_48PM.thumb.png.612c397949270aef24cb0a321ef18f70.png

710724850_ScreenShot2022-02-18at6_07_39PM.thumb.png.bd9051e3182d7ffc0d54c5f184f60a75.png

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?  I thought the AQC107 chipset worked natively under Catalina.  I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting since most signs indicate it should be working. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, starchyfind said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?  I thought the AQC107 chipset worked natively under Catalina.  I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting since most signs indicate it should be working. 

Catalina required the patch by Mieze earlier in this thread (here). (Mojave didn't seem to need a patch.)

This patch then required an update for each subsequent macOS due to changes in the Apple kext file. Big Sur required 2 different patches during its release and now it appears that Monterey is requiring more than one as well.

Is there a patch for the just released 12.3 yet? I have the old AQtion Gaming 10G NIC from Aquantia (when it still existed) and have been using the old Big Sur patch until now. Patches here seems either doesn't work, or it does activate the card but causes black screen at login screen or even panic.

I am also looking for a 12.3 patch. Using the ASUS XG-C100c I have the same black-screens / panics as the previous poster using the old patch (and the patch for the beta posted previously in this thread does not boot at all). 

The patch for 12.3 beta (https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330614-marvell-aquantia-10-gb-ethernet-support-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2775808) is still working for me in the final release of 12.3. Older patches should probably be disabled.

Please make sure to apply the patch only once (Count = 1) inside the designated function (Base = __ZN27AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion5startEP9IOService) otherwise the patch will probably be applied to other areas and may well cause unexpected behavior like panics.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Asus XG-C100C here too, which worked fine on 12.2 with the older patch.

In my case, the new patch doesn't cause panics or black screens and instead just refuses to get an IP address.

Even with a static IP address, it can't reach anything, so something is definitely still off.

I did also disable the old patch and copied the patch from Shikumo's post above, but no dice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shikumo said:

The patch for 12.3 beta (https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330614-marvell-aquantia-10-gb-ethernet-support-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2775808) is still working for me in the final release of 12.3. Older patches should probably be disabled.

Please make sure to apply the patch only once (Count = 1) inside the designated function (Base = __ZN27AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion5startEP9IOService) otherwise the patch will probably be applied to other areas and may well cause unexpected behavior like panics.

Good luck.

Quadrouplechecked my config. The patch is correctly set in the config file, unfortunately! 

Second'ing what @Dids wrote: When it doesn't crash on boot I too get the issue with no IP. 

I am running firmware 3.1.118 on the card and 12.3 build number is 21E230

Edited by nazrm

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AQC107 Monterey Patch 3</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>D4RFAwAA</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data></data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string>21.4.0</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>Zg8fRAAA</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data></data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>

This is from my config (the patch by Shikumo), I think this is correct? It activates the card (falshing green) but causes black screen or panics the system at login screen. I'm on the newest 1.80.3_3.1.121 firmware.

Edited by MisakaMikoto0