Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
520 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

It was enabled and set to true just for testing. I disabled it to make sure the system booted properly, and I will enable it again but only for testing.  When I have a better idea or a solution I will enable it once again.

<dict>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AQC 107 10 GbE v2</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				YnVpbHQtaW4=
				</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>MatchKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				YnVpbHQtaW4=
				</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>

6 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

This looks very similar to what I posted, and you posted it without a comment.  Care to mention what you think will make this work?

7.6 Patch Properties
1. Base
Type: plist string
Failsafe: Empty string
Description: Selects symbol-matched base for patch lookup (or immediate replacement) by obtaining the address of provided symbol name. Can be set to empty string to be ignored.

2. Comment
Description: Arbitrary ASCII string used to provide human readable reference for the entry. It is implementation defined whether this value is used.
3. Count
Type: plist integer
Failsafe: 0
Description: Number of patch occurrences to apply. 0 applies the patch to all occurrences found.
4. Enabled
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Description: This kernel patch will not be used unless set to true.
5. Find
Type: plist data
Failsafe: Empty data
Description: Data to find. Can be set to empty for immediate replacement at Base. Must equal to Replace in size otherwise.
6. Identifier
Description: Kext bundle identifier (e.g. com.apple.driver.AppleHDA) or kernel for kernel patch.
7. Limit
Description: Maximum number of bytes to search for. Can be set to 0 to look through the whole kext or kernel.
8. Mask
Description: Data bitwise mask used during find comparison. Allows fuzzy search by ignoring not masked (set to zero) bits. Can be set to empty data to be ignored. Must equal to Replace in size otherwise.
9. MatchKernel
Description: Adds kernel driver to selected macOS version only. The selection happens based on prefix match with the kernel version, i.e. 16.7.0 will match macOS 10.12.6 and 16. will match any macOS 10.12.x version.
10. Replace
Description: Replacement data of one or more bytes.
11. ReplaceMask
Description: Data bitwise mask used during replacement. Allows fuzzy replacement by updating masked (set to non-zero) bits. Can be set to empty data to be ignored. Must equal to Replace in size otherwise.
12. Skip
Description: Number of found occurrences to be skipped before replacement is done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 8:30 AM, fog_horn said:

I just installed the ASUS XG-C100C with the AQC107, and now - while the card performs fine on 10.14.5 - I have a weird issue with my RX580.

I have three screens connected (2x DP / 1x HDMI) and as long as the ASUS card is installed the HDMI screen is blacked out (even though MacOS sees that it's connected) and I have weird graphical glitches from time to time on the other two screens and the whole GUI seems rather slow. Everything goes back to normal when I either remove the ASUS card or unplug the HDMI cable.

In Windows everything runs smoothely with the card installed and all three screens.

I updated the firmware of the ASUS card to 3.1.84 which didn't change anything.

Any ideas how to solve that?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-24 um 16.08.41.png

I actually have the same exactly issue but have an RX570 with an Aquantia AQtion 10G PRO but HDMI doesn't work, only DP... I only managed to get 1 DP and DP to HDMI to work but the HDMI only goes to 1080i so weird but once I pull the 10GBE card out everything is fine. I wonder if the gaming version of that card is better. I'm not 100% sure but it sounds its a slightly different chipset.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I just stumbled onto this thread, I just installed macos Mojave in KVM in ubuntu 19.04, and I found out I have a Asus ROG AREION 10G card laying around, so I installed it on my x399 machine, and did vfio pass-through.

It didn't work with the original firmware, so I installed the newest firmware 3.1.90 to it in windows (it was running 1.xx somthing)

Then I saw the first page post that this card need kext patching, so I did that in clover.

Then I boot into KVM macos, it shows Ethernet is disconnected, and then become self-assigned. So i changed it to DHCP, doesn't work. Then I changed it to DHCP with manual IP, and it worked.

Then i don't know what I touched, after around 5 mins of using it, I went to close the "system settings" window in mac, and it ask me weather to save the change to networking. And I was like "why not", so I just clicked yes, and the ethernet disconnected for a second, then become connected again. However no internet.

I tried changing DHCP, changing IP, delete profile and re-make one, nothing helped. It shows connected but it's not really connected.

So then I rebooted the KVM, hard off, then boot, and for 3 times it enters pause right after clover EFI. No idea what caused that, but I suspect the kext replace is causing something.

And then it rebooted successfully, I went into system settings, and it shows it is disconnected, and now there is a new ethernet device, old one disappeared. I tried all kinds of settings, DHCP, IP etc, nothing works. So I looked into advance, the MAC address is 00:00:00:00:00:00, which i suspect is the issue.

I shut it down again, and booted it up, same behaviour.

I shut it down again, boot up without the kext patch in clover, still same behaviour.

So that;s where I'm at right now. I will boot into windows to check if the card is broken or anything, I saw something about MAC address in this thread, it gets erased by mac?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 10:57 PM, lmybobbob said:

Hi guys, I just stumbled onto this thread, I just installed macos Mojave in KVM in ubuntu 19.04, and I found out I have a Asus ROG AREION 10G card laying around, so I installed it on my x399 machine, and did vfio pass-through.

It didn't work with the original firmware, so I installed the newest firmware 3.1.90 to it in windows (it was running 1.xx somthing)

Then I saw the first page post that this card need kext patching, so I did that in clover.

Then I boot into KVM macos, it shows Ethernet is disconnected, and then become self-assigned. So i changed it to DHCP, doesn't work. Then I changed it to DHCP with manual IP, and it worked.

Then i don't know what I touched, after around 5 mins of using it, I went to close the "system settings" window in mac, and it ask me weather to save the change to networking. And I was like "why not", so I just clicked yes, and the ethernet disconnected for a second, then become connected again. However no internet.

I tried changing DHCP, changing IP, delete profile and re-make one, nothing helped. It shows connected but it's not really connected.

So then I rebooted the KVM, hard off, then boot, and for 3 times it enters pause right after clover EFI. No idea what caused that, but I suspect the kext replace is causing something.

And then it rebooted successfully, I went into system settings, and it shows it is disconnected, and now there is a new ethernet device, old one disappeared. I tried all kinds of settings, DHCP, IP etc, nothing works. So I looked into advance, the MAC address is 00:00:00:00:00:00, which i suspect is the issue.

I shut it down again, and booted it up, same behaviour.

I shut it down again, boot up without the kext patch in clover, still same behaviour.

So that;s where I'm at right now. I will boot into windows to check if the card is broken or anything, I saw something about MAC address in this thread, it gets erased by mac?

Just want to give an update. I don't use the kext patch anymore, and it works just fine in catalina.

However since my catalina is in KVM, the network card cannot be rebooted, or else it loses the MAC address.

But if I reboot host and then launch KVM, it has been very reliable.

I'm writing a KVM guide right now, will include this thread in the guide.

@d5aqoep Hi just want to say my ROG Areion 10G doesn't need kext patch on catalina. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:44 AM, lmybobbob said:

Just want to give an update. I don't use the kext patch anymore, and it works just fine in catalina.

However since my catalina is in KVM, the network card cannot be rebooted, or else it loses the MAC address.

But if I reboot host and then launch KVM, it has been very reliable.

I'm writing a KVM guide right now, will include this thread in the guide.

@d5aqoep Hi just want to say my ROG Areion 10G doesn't need kext patch on catalina. 

I can confirm that, my ASUS XC-100 works fine in catalina after firmware update with patch only.But I'm not tested in kvm vm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Hopefully somebody here can help me with Sonnet Solo10G Pcie which should work OOB.

I have not connected problem.

I can see NIC is in system report and ioreg but it is not present in PCI section of system report.
The card is there in network preferences but it just stays red no matter what I do.
The physical light on NIC is green and connection is also green on my iMac network preferences with Sonnet Solo10g TB3.

The interesting part is while I still had my internal Intel NIC enabled (not connected to anything) network preferences showed connection on that NIC when I connected Sonnet Solo10g to my iMac.
I disabled Intel NIC and removed the kext. Nothing.
I also removed all SSDTs. Nothing.

I have SSDT0 for onboard devices, SSDT1 for GPU, SSDT8 for USB and SSDT9 for CPU.

Tried with all the patches and still nothing.

NIC is RED (not connected) in network preferences whatever I do.

I searched everywhere for an answer but with no luck so far. Should work OODB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I do not know what to do anymore...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 1:49 PM, allanau said:

I actually have the same exactly issue but have an RX570 with an Aquantia AQtion 10G PRO but HDMI doesn't work, only DP... I only managed to get 1 DP and DP to HDMI to work but the HDMI only goes to 1080i so weird but once I pull the 10GBE card out everything is fine. I wonder if the gaming version of that card is better. I'm not 100% sure but it sounds its a slightly different chipset.

Hi All. I had the same issue and realized that my BIOS settings reset when I put in the card - I have the Aquantia 10G Gaming version. After re-disabling CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and fixing all other relevant settings on my Asus X299 Deluxe, it was back to normal and the card worked fine along with any DP/HDMI ports on my Vega 64. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I do not own a hackintosh anymore but have a MacPro 5.1 and purchased a STLab N-540 which is a AQC107 chipset based:

It shows up with the vendor ID 16DA and device ID D107 in LSPCI.

Both AppleEthernetAquantia drivers are loaded up by the OS (Mojave 10.14.6 in my case) including the one ending with firmware.

The device is added to the network adapters list but the detection of the cable being plugged in won't work.

I own an EEPROM programmer so I can flash the firmware directly to the EEPROM if necessary.

Is there something that I can do to make that card work on a Genuine MacPro 5.1?

Any firmware that can be flashed to the card or device ID that has to be modified through the firmware (just throwing out ideas)?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, illusion1973 said:

Hi,

Hopefully somebody here can help me with Sonnet Solo10G Pcie which should work OOB.

I have not connected problem.

I can see NIC is in system report and ioreg but it is not present in PCI section of system report.
The card is there in network preferences but it just stays red no matter what I do.
The physical light on NIC is green [...]

I was having similar issues on with this card and a setup that had been working solidly for months. Upgraded to Catalina and upgraded the card firmware and all of a sudden, physical link lights on the card but no cable detected on MacOS. Not sure what the cause was and can't effectively roll-back. 

Works fine in Windows.

I CAN get the card to work on MacOS by shutting down and also, critically, switching power off at the PSU for 30 seconds. When I start back up from this (really) cold boot, everything works. After some combination of warm restarts the issue returns, but I haven't troubleshooted that far. Just happy my card is working again.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, overshoot said:

Hi guys,

I do not own a hackintosh anymore but have a MacPro 5.1 and purchased a STLab N-540 which is a AQC107 chipset based:

It shows up with the vendor ID 16DA and device ID D107 in LSPCI.

Both AppleEthernetAquantia drivers are loaded up by the OS (Mojave 10.14.6 in my case) including the one ending with firmware.

The device is added to the network adapters list but the detection of the cable being plugged in won't work.

I own an EEPROM programmer so I can flash the firmware directly to the EEPROM if necessary.

Is there something that I can do to make that card work on a Genuine MacPro 5.1?

Any firmware that can be flashed to the card or device ID that has to be modified through the firmware (just throwing out ideas)?

Thanks!

Looking at other posts, you need to modify the device ID to 07b1 for the card to work.

I just found another working card LR-Link 6880BT, it costs around $78.

There are links in both AliExpress and Taobao, I found buyers commented this card give the identical vendor and device IDs as the Aquantia card. They reported no modification needed to have native support. I'm not sure about WOL though.

Aquantia card on Amazon.co.uk is about £260, which is way too expensive.

On 1/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, madins said:

Looking at other posts, you need to modify the device ID to 07b1 for the card to work.

I just found another working card LR-Link 6880BT, it costs around $78.

There are links in both AliExpress and Taobao, I found buyers commented this card give the identical vendor and device IDs as the Aquantia card. They reported no modification needed to have native support. I'm not sure about WOL though.

Aquantia card on Amazon.co.uk is about £260, which is way too expensive.

I've read different things and I was confused on what I should do, especially after reading a thread talking upgrading the firmware from a specific vendor.
Anyhow, thanks a lot for your answer!

I'll try that modification otherwise I'll get one of these LR-Link.

Cheers!

Quick update...

I did try to locate the Device ID on the EEPROM dump but wasn't able to find it.

I banged my head for an hour at least until I decided to upgrade the firmware from my Windows PC.

Once I plugged it back to the MacPro, cable got detected finally.

So a firmware update did fix it for me. No modification needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Sonnet Solo10G SFP+ card that use to work just fine, till I updated to the latest Jan 2020 driver on Windows. Now the card refuses to

The card refuses to work on macOS. It is now Identifying as a 107S, instead of 100S (despite the PID/VID being the correct one) and while the ethernet shows up in system information, it will always show as disconnected.

I tried everything including:

• Upgraded to latest firmware from Sonnet (Marvell site)
  • Reverting to older driver on Windows
  • downgrading/upgrading IONetworkingFamily.kext tried latest beta
  • Deleted all the preferences files
  • Switched from Clover to OC (after tweaking OC, I can feel things working a lot better)
  • Fresh install
  • tried a different identical card (I have two)
  • I even reverted back to an older disk image.
  • Changed slots
  • Upgraded to beta BIOS

Is there anyway I can get it to work again? It uses Aquantia AQC100S.

To be clear it works perfectly well on Windows and Linux.

Here are my specs (not sure if its relevant):

• Gigabyte z390 Wifi pro
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB
  • Titan Ridge Thunderbolt
  • Fenvi T919 Wifi/BT

Edited by Samawa

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, overshoot said:

Quick update...

I did try to locate the Device ID on the EEPROM dump but wasn't able to find it.

I banged my head for an hour at least until I decided to upgrade the firmware from my Windows PC.

Once I plugged it back to the MacPro, cable got detected finally.

So a firmware update did fix it for me. No modification needed.

Thanks for your update, I'm glad to hear that the firmware upgrade worked for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 9:23 AM, d5aqoep said:

The patch is also working on latest version of macOS Catalina 10.15.0

Use this Clover kext patch: Credits: @Mieze

Kext to patch
com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

Find
6275696C 742D696E

Replace
62626262 62626262

Apple's AQC107 drivers found in iMacPro1,1 bootcamp package if you want.

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/lAckTVG1/file.html

Do you know how to use this patch with Opencore? Aquantia card that I have that was running natively in Catalina doesn't load in Big Sur... but I have a thunderbolt 10G card based on Aquantia that loads and works just fine in Big Sur, so I just need to change the properties but don't know how to do this using OpenCore... 

57 minutes ago, dehjomz said:

Do you know how to use this patch with Opencore? Aquantia card that I have that was running natively in Catalina doesn't load in Big Sur... but I have a thunderbolt 10G card based on Aquantia that loads and works just fine in Big Sur, so I just need to change the properties but don't know how to do this using OpenCore... 

The patch tab is in the section where you find kext entries. I used OpenCore Configurator. It is frowned upon but it does the job for me.

On 7/4/2020 at 3:29 AM, d5aqoep said:

The patch tab is in the section where you find kext entries. I used OpenCore Configurator. It is frowned upon but it does the job for me.

Thanks for the tip.  If possible, could you post a screenshot of your config's patch in OpencoreConfigurator?  I've never used it so I'm probably gonna screw up the syntax...