WhatEverGreen Support Topic

MattsCreative
1,504 posts in this topic

Do you get HDMI/DP back with the new method (i.e. without the injector kext)?

Theoretically, the new method only addresses the incapability of booting into Installer/Recovery; it just removes the problematic vp9 flag.

Off-topic - Feel free to continue this in WEG thread.

@PMheart Hello - kindly do pardon my ignorance earlier at CLOVER thread. In response to your post with regards to WEG for SKL on macOS 13: 

Yes, only audio missing was an issue on HDMI connectors, video output was always ok; audio too back now with the new approach :). Since I mostly AirPlay nowadays to mirror content, I've been away from HDMI for quite sometime hence did not encounter the audio missing on HDMI connectors during my initial tests until someone pointed it out on the Ventura thread.

Although the kext approach was, theoretically, intended to keep KBL untouched while dropping the vp9 property, which indeed worked great, however as observed this approach did inadvertently cause additional issues; mainly the inability to boot into installer/recovery plus the missing of audio on HDMI connectors as reported by others.

Not sure how but the new approach does indeed revert those issues and can confirm everything is back to normal including HDMI audio + YT playback on Safari as well which was the main purpose of the patch in the first place. Definitely the better and more cleaner approach this one I should say so massive thanks to @dhinakg for cooking up the patch and big thank you to you as well for facilitating all of it quite well. 🙏

• Like 1

@aben No worries. I am fine with that, though I am not sure how moderators will react to it. :P 

And yes, initially we wanted to bring most SKL properties back, but later we came to realize that most of them are not required; only removing the vp9 flag did the trick. Thanks for your testing as well!

I have no idea about the loss of HDMI either, while I guess that is most likely another side effect of using the previous injector kext. Now that it is resolved, who cares. :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PMheart said:

@aben No worries. I am fine with that, though I am not sure how moderators will react to it. :P 

Well, I can move all the WEG posts at the Clover thread to here, but don't know if will make sense to the future readers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @verleihnix thanks for this, I also have UHD620 on my Lenovo IdeaPad S145-14iWL laptop with device ID [8086:3ea0]. I use 0x3EA50009 for accelleration on my machine.

Can you please be so kind and provide fuller information about your hardware especially the UHD 620 graphics IDs? Which ID do you inject for acceleration?

Thanks

Mine is a 8086:5917. According to the Dortina guide I use device-id 16590000 and platform-id 0000C087 for KabyLake-R

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>AADAhw==</data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>FlkAAA==</data>
                <key>enable-backlight-smoother</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
                <data>AACQAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-portcount</key>
                <data>AwAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
                <data>AAAwAQ==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
                <data>AAAAgA==</data>
            </dict>

3 hours ago, verleihnix said:

Updating to latest OC 8.2 and WEG stoped igpu acceleration on UHD620 from T480.

I have reverted only WEG to 1.5.9 and it was fine again.

Have you tried updating Lilu to 1.6.1 as well?

1 hour ago, verleihnix said:

Mine is a 8086:5917. According to the Dortina guide I use device-id 16590000 and platform-id 0000C087 for KabyLake-R

00001B59 is the recommended platform-id/framebuffer for KBL mobile/laptop systems. Suggest you consult the WEG manual for more insights: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md#intel-uhd-graphics-610-650-kaby-lake-and-amber-lake-y-processors

Edited by aben
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why we should (or should not) use boot-arg igfxonlnfbs with boot-arg igfxonln=1?  I understand the function of the boot-arg (from @joevt 's explanation here), but I don't understand why it is necessary.  Details below.  Thank you.

I have a HackBookPro15,2 (i5-8250U / UHD620) that is working perfectly.  In order for an HDMI-connected display to wake from sleep, I need boot-arg igfxonln=1.  Since my internal display does not need igfxonln=1 to wake, I added boot-arg igfxonlnfbs=0x01 to mask igfxonln=1 so that it applies only to framebuffer connector index 1 (the index of my HDMI port).

With the addition of igfxonlnfbs=0x01, both my internal and external (HDMI) displays wake from sleep, but honestly, I don't notice any difference in behavior with and without the igfxonlnfbs boot-arg.

What are the reasons that I should or should not be using boot-arg igfxonlnfbs with my HBP15,2?

Thank you.

Edited by deeveedee

• 4 weeks later...

On 10.15, old acer predator G3610 desktop as Macpro6,1 has 6 series board with an i7 2600. Its using a kepler gt 630 which is using a Mac EFI Boot screen. Would that efi flash effect the wake from sleep?

Cool thing is that the all the things work on appletv with the surround sound and stuff. Clover works better for sleep function but still won't wake the IOReg shows all the connectors as HDMI (its using HDMI)when there is one HDMI and 2 DP. Not sure how one would define those ports. Possibly in properties? Blah blah....

Edited by chummdoggin

Test post to see if here would be a good place to diagnose my hdmi port on my laptop?

If it is, what do you require me to provide to get it working? At the moment if I plug in a hdmi monitor I get nothing, no picture, no sound. I am 99% sure my hdmi port is routed through my iGPU (i7-9750h)

What I can’t work out is how to get at least the display to output something. 
I do not know if it is a hdmi 1.4 or 2.0 port. 

My i5-8250U/UHD620 hackbookpro has an HDMI port that works perfectly when connected to a 1080p TV/display.  I found an old LCD TV with HDTV display modes 480p, 720p and 1080i and found that my hackbook's HDMI output will not sync with this old display.  When attempting to sync, the old LCD flashes on and off (with message "Detecting..." displayed on the TV) and my hackbook's internal LCD display flashes on and off.  The HDMI display connection is never established.  I have read something about 1080i being a "scaled" display option, but I'm not sure how/if this relates to a WEG property.  My current device-properties and boot-args are below.  I am running macOS Monterey 12.5.1, OC 0.8.3, WEG 1.6.1.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you fix it?  Thank you.

Boot-Args

Spoiler

1561938507_ScreenShot2022-08-18at11_44_14AM.png.ad8d65dec06533106f0a37be703f39b0.png

Device-Properties

Spoiler

989410722_ScreenShot2022-08-18at11_44_38AM.png.809b4fa2060b753b845bf84859699f40.png

3 hours ago, deeveedee said:

My i5-8250U/UHD620 hackbookpro has an HDMI port that works perfectly when connected to a 1080p TV/display.  I found an old LCD TV with HDTV display modes 480p, 720p and 1080i and found that my hackbook's HDMI output will not sync with this old display.  When attempting to sync, the old LCD flashes on and off (with message "Detecting..." displayed on the TV) and my hackbook's internal LCD display flashes on and off.  The HDMI display connection is never established.  I have read something about 1080i being a "scaled" display option, but I'm not sure how/if this relates to a WEG property.  My current device-properties and boot-args are below.  I am running macOS Monterey 12.5.1, OC 0.8.3, WEG 1.6.1.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you fix it?  Thank you.

Boot-Args

Reveal hidden contents

Device-Properties

Reveal hidden contents

Study what is EDID.

• Thanks 1

@Slice - Thank you.  That sounds like a display-specific solution.  If I implement an EDID fix that works with the old HDMI display, will that break operation for the other "newer" HDMI displays that work without the EDID fix?

Yes, you can't do EDID fix to be display's specific. It is not impossible just I don't know how.

For example create new kext that will check display-id before applying the fix.

I can modify Clover to do this but not OC.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick replies, Slice.  Demand for multiple external display EDID profiles must be low.   Otherwise, I suspect that your 'new kext' idea would have been incorporated into WhateverGreen.

@SavageAUS Not sure if this helps, but I have found that when I'm attempting to diagnose problems with an existing iGPU config, I get the most helpful replies when I post my current DeviceProperties and BootArgs with my questions.  I looked at your recent posts and don't see any supporting info that might help to assess your UHD630 issues.

11 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@SavageAUS Not sure if this helps, but I have found that when I'm attempting to diagnose problems with an existing iGPU config, I get the most helpful replies when I post my current DeviceProperties and BootArgs with my questions.  I looked at your recent posts and don't see any supporting info that might help to assess your UHD630 issues.

My apologies.

Please find attached some troubleshooting files.

Archive.zip

@SavageAUS When I hacked my HP Envy 8th Gen i5-8250u/UHD620 laptop with internal display and one HDMI port , I found the following that may help you:

• I needed to experiment with all relevant mobile framebuffers from this guide to find a framebuffer ig-platform-id that resulted in working HDMI out.  For each relevant framebuffer associated with Coffee Lake / device-id 0x3E9B (e.g., AAPL,ig-platform-id = <0900A53E> as you have in your config.plist), you would need to inspect the connectors within the framebuffer to determine what needs to be patched (more on this below).
  • You may not need to patch con0 which is your internal display.  More below.
  • You may not need framebuffer-fbmem and framebuffer-stolenmem device properties (I read multiple posts / guides which implied the need for these and actually found that under-specifying these memory amounts was hurting my graphics performance).  Try removing these properties during your experiments.  Contrary to what you've seen in posts from others who routinely use these properties in every hack, It does not help to have them if you don't need them.
  • I find it easier to avoid using the "all-data" format when I'm debugging device-properties.  Specifying each property separately makes it easier to isolate and change individual properties and it enhances readability when you're sharing your device properties for others to evaluate.  Because you're using this all-data format, I'm not inclined to take the time to translate and see what you're actually patching and what you are leaving unpatched.
  • Do your experiments without property enable-hdmi20 and add this later if you think you need it.
  • You shouldn't need to specify property hda-gfx.  AppleALC.kext should insert this for you automatically.
  • You may need boot-arg igfxonln=1 so that your HDMI output is always active when powering-up and resuming from sleep
  • You may need boot-arg darkwake=2 (or a variation of darkwake) for your displays when resuming from sleep

The framebuffer that you have chosen (0900A53E):

Spoiler
ID: 3EA50009, STOLEN: 57 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00830B0A
TOTAL STOLEN: 58 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 172 MB, MAX OVERALL: 173 MB (181940224 bytes)
Model name: Intel HD Graphics CFL CRB
Camellia: CamelliaV3 (3), Freq: 0 Hz, FreqMax: 0 Hz
Mobile: 1, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[0] busId: 0x00, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000002, flags: 0x00000098 - ConnectorLVDS
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000001C7 - ConnectorDP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000001C7 - ConnectorDP
00000800 02000000 98000000
01050900 00040000 C7010000
02040A00 00040000 C7010000

specifies one internal LVDS connector on con0 and DP connectors on con1 and con2.  With the all-data patching format, I don't feel like taking the time to inspect it to determine what you are patching, but you probably don't need to patch con0 and may only need to patch con1 or con2 depending on the index of your HDMI port.  You'll need to experiment to determine this.

The flags associated with your con1 and con2 ports are 0x1C7.  You may need to change the flags associated with your HDMI port to 0x3C7 (<C7030000>).  I see that you're using hackintool, so look in hackintool to see the toggled bit in 0x3c7.

Take a look at my post here to see my device properties/boot-args for my laptop with an internal display and one HDMI port.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your detailed reply. Last night I stopped using the appdata method and will try the other items suggested by you. 
For now what I have is a stable system, with graphics output and acceleration on my laptops display and hdmi output but only after hotplug. 
Once I 100% figure out which smbios is best for my i7-9750H I will then start experimenting more with different mobile framebuffers and only patch the connector relevant to it and non my laptops display. 

@deeveedee

So a little playing around and booting with my dummy plug plugged in gets detected right away, no hot plugging needed.

I still need to test sleep and a real monitor but progress is progress.

I really appreciate your help.

config.plist

Edited by SavageAUS