AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,390 posts in this topic

So, does the current release contain the patch that fixes the menu display bug?

I just placed lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext to /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 and am not noticing any differences.

Any suggestions or advice?

So you want us to make releases after each commit :hysterical: . Suggest you download sources and build your kext... It's simple :yes:

Hi. IMHO we should patch against some annoying logs like this post. May try adding this?  :)

Just adding these patches.

Name: AppleHDA & AppleHDAController (Yes. We need to patch these 2 kexts but w/ the same patch contents)

Search: 536F756E 64206173 73657274 696F6E20
Replace: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 

Then the redundant logs should be gone.

@PMHeart even though cosmetic patches like that could benefit us for aesthetic reasons, hiding any kind of diagnostics is certainly not a good idea. Regardless of the uselessness of the look and feel of each such message they report various kinds issues that could be fixed in the resources. As a result they could be particularly vital after upgrading or when debugging the codec changes.

As far as I know some of the prints do exist on the original hardware as well, so there are even less reasons to add such a patch, but thanks for a suggestion anyway.

• Like 2

@PMHeart even though cosmetic patches like that could benefit us for aesthetic reasons, hiding any kind of diagnostics is certainly not a good idea. Regardless of the uselessness of the look and feel of each such message they report various kinds issues that could be fixed in the resources. As a result they could be particularly vital after upgrading or when debugging the codec changes.

As far as I know some of the prints do exist on the original hardware as well, so there are even less reasons to add such a patch, but thanks for a suggestion anyway.

Keep your mind. :)

Yes we can inject a proper "MaximumBeepVolume" (Sorry. I'm currently on my mobile I don't remember the exact name) to make this gone. But IMHO many users use AppleALC directly and have no look at their zlib config file. And thus they may not get the correct value...

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

So you want us to make releases after each commit :hysterical: . Suggest you download sources and build your kext... It's simple :yes:

No, I didn't say that, and that's not what I was asking - I initially asked for some instructions or information, for those that aren't as gifted as you.

What's simple to you might not be as simple to some of us - again, without any sort of instructions.

So, instead, could you maybe provide some insight into variables such as when a release with the menu-bar fix can be expected, or how (once released) the AppleALC/Lilu installation would be done?

That would be helpful.

No, I didn't say that, and that's not what I was asking - I initially asked for some instructions or information, for those that aren't as gifted as you.

What's simple to you might not be as simple to some of us - again, without any sort of instructions.

So, instead, could you maybe provide some insight into variables such as when a release with the menu-bar fix can be expected, or how (once released) the AppleALC/Lilu installation would be done?

That would be helpful.

Here you go. Release AppleALC 1.1.1 with menu-bar fix...

AppleALC.kext.zip

• Like 1

Keep your mind. :)

Yes we can inject a proper "MaximumBeepVolume" (Sorry. I'm currently on my mobile I don't remember the exact name) to make this gone. But IMHO many users use AppleALC directly and have no look at their zlib config file. And thus they may not get the correct value...

only this is not enough, there are more things to be added and this 

it will depend on each error, but I do not give a minimum for these errors 

provided that the same do not interfere in anything. 

P. S: I had no error using my old dummy.kext customized for 

my old ALC887.

only this is not enough, there are more things to be added and this

it will depend on each error, but I do not give a minimum for these errors

provided that the same do not interfere in anything.

P. S: I had no error using my old dummy.kext customized for

my old ALC887.

Hi. Same ALC887 here. In my case. These 2 patches are enough to remove the log...

Could anyone summarize what the best working state is at the moment. I've got a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 board that has the Creative CA0132 codec. I've been testing most recently with the latest build that vandroiy posted above along with the release 1.0.0 build of lilu, and the latest release build of CodecCommander. I've been at the same point for a while now though where I've got max volume sound on layouts 9-11 through my main analog out port on the board. I can move the volume control for layouts 9 and 10, but it doesn't actually change the volume. So the only volume control I have is in applications currently.

I have the HDAS to HDEF change in the clover plist. I haven't edited the DSDT or the SSDT files directly at all yet. I did use clover configurator to edit RT variables and SMBIOS settings to get iMessage working. I've been pretty careful not to drop extra junk around though. I don't think I have any other audio-related changes, and I overlaid my AppleHDA.kext in SLE with one from a freshly downloaded installer just to be sure.

I just pulled and built the latest AppleALC source, but it doesn't look like anything major changed. I see there is some activity going on in the lilu trunk too, but I figured that wasn't directly relevant.

Have I missed anything? I tried to read a lot of this thread, but I wasn't sure if some of the patches or HDA kext mods discussed were something I would need or not. Thanks for help. I'm a Java dev, but just getting acquainted with this whole world this weekend. So still figuring things out.

Could anyone summarize what the best working state is at the moment. I've got a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 board that has the Creative CA0132 codec. I've been testing most recently with the latest build that vandroiy posted above along with the release 1.0.0 build of lilu, and the latest release build of CodecCommander. I've been at the same point for a while now though where I've got max volume sound on layouts 9-11 through my main analog out port on the board. I can move the volume control for layouts 9 and 10, but it doesn't actually change the volume. So the only volume control I have is in applications currently.

I have the HDAS to HDEF change in the clover plist. I haven't edited the DSDT or the SSDT files directly at all yet. I did use clover configurator to edit RT variables and SMBIOS settings to get iMessage working. I've been pretty careful not to drop extra junk around though. I don't think I have any other audio-related changes, and I overlaid my AppleHDA.kext in SLE with one from a freshly downloaded installer just to be sure.

I just pulled and built the latest AppleALC source, but it doesn't look like anything major changed. I see there is some activity going on in the lilu trunk too, but I figured that wasn't directly relevant.

Have I missed anything? I tried to read a lot of this thread, but I wasn't sure if some of the patches or HDA kext mods discussed were something I would need or not. Thanks for help. I'm a Java dev, but just getting acquainted with this whole world this weekend. So still figuring things out.

Hello. Please read this CA0132 Issues with Gigabyte z170x Gaming 7 and this Creative CA0132 No Devices Detected

Thanks for responding. That's disappointing. I guess I may try to mess with the code a bit then to see if I can figure anything out. It must not be too far off since people have gotten most of this working with it at some points even on this thread. It sounds like it's mainly just a problem of none of you having one to test with. I'd be happy to do some testing/debugging if you had any ideas to try out. I'm not sure how far I'll get on my own without much experience in this area. In any case, I at least have sound now. So thanks for your hard work.

attachicon.gifAppleALC.kext.zip

Thank you - that's very kind, and much appreciated.

For what it's worth - I installed it, and the menu bar icons still 'jump'.

- placed in /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12/.

- AppleALC you attached + Lilu + CodecCommander all in the folder above

- Reboot

Same behavior. Icons jump.

Any idea?

Thanks for responding. That's disappointing. I guess I may try to mess with the code a bit then to see if I can figure anything out. It must not be too far off since people have gotten most of this working with it at some points even on this thread. It sounds like it's mainly just a problem of none of you having one to test with. I'd be happy to do some testing/debugging if you had any ideas to try out. I'm not sure how far I'll get on my own without much experience in this area. In any case, I at least have sound now. So thanks for your hard work.

I see back in May last year that they had a working build with volume control for this board, and it seems like quite a few people had success with that. My OS won't start up though when I have that version (or others from around then) of AppleALC installed. With verbose startup, I get "AppleALC: patcher @ lookup patching applied only 0u patches out of 2u" followed by a timeout and then my screen goes black until I give up and restart. I noticed someone way earlier in the thread had that same issue reported, and vandroiy, you had given him a list of things to check. Only thing I didn't have from that list was fix HDA enabled, but that didn't help.

I have to set a flag in clover to disable AppleALC to startup at all with those old builds. I don't have any trouble with the new ones though. So something changed that enables me to startup ok now, but I'd love to get a hold of that layout 6 that works for everything: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-—-dynamic-applehda-patching/?p=2239226

I don't see that build in git anywhere. I guess that was just a test build or something. It was after the commit where you added support for the creative codec though Vandroiy. I didn't see where the creative layouts were updated again after that. Is there any way we can get and use the old layouts from wern back then with the latest AppleALC version? Maybe that could solve the issues with the Creative codec if we already have good layouts from back then.

FYI to anyone trying to get Creative codec working. Wern from earlier in this thread has been developing a modded AppleHDA here that works: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309283-creative-ca0132-g1sniper-m3-patch-for-applehda-or-voodoohda/?p=2379348

I got rid of all my other audio-related changes, replaced my /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext with that, and set audio layout inject to 1 with HDAS to HDEF renaming in clover plist. I've now got audio on most of my headphones and line out ports with volume control!

@vit9696, @vandroiy2012

(...)

However I've tested only built-in speakers of my laptop and internal mic so far. I'll report later if it helps.

I would like to thank you to share with the community your knowledge and such a powerful instruments to be able to learn and improve our stuff.

Finally I've tested the headset jack and the line-in one. They worked pretty well.

So I would like to suggest to you to insert the same patch from commit 10e8f03 for CX207xx cards info.plist by Wern Apfel also to the IDT 92HD71B7 cards.

Finally I've tested the headset jack and the line-in one. They worked pretty well.

So I would like to suggest to you to insert the same patch from commit 10e8f03 for CX207xx cards info.plist by Wern Apfel also to the IDT 92HD71B7 cards.

Are you saying that applying this patch, 
the comboJack works on codecs Conexant? 
please give more details about it.

Are you saying that applying this patch, 
the comboJack works on codecs Conexant? 
please give more details about it.

No, I had statusbar and preference panel sync issues with sound level keys with both your appleHDA Patcher (until EC) and AppleALC 1.1.1, the same issue as post #1261 under my IDT 92HD71B7 card.

So I saw that patch that was deployed for conexant codecs and figured out that was the same patch the author applied to its own IDT kext for Sierra. Then I added the same code of the conexant commit 10e8f03 to my info plist and rebuilt AppleALC and it worked.

Anyway I didn't test if external plugs on my M6400 were working correctly until today so that I reported here.

I think the same patch should be included in the IDT 92HD71B7 info plist to get AppleHDA to work properly with this card.

Please excuse me for the confusion generated.

No, I had statusbar and preference panel sync issues with sound level keys with both your appleHDA Patcher (until EC) and AppleALC 1.1.1, the same issue as post #1261 under my IDT 92HD71B7 card.

So I saw that patch that was deployed for conexant codecs and figured out that was the same patch the author applied to its own IDT kext for Sierra. Then I added the same code of the conexant commit 10e8f03 to my info plist and rebuilt AppleALC and it worked.

Anyway I didn't test if external plugs on my M6400 were working correctly until today so that I reported here.

I think the same patch should be included in the IDT 92HD71B7 info plist to get AppleHDA to work properly with this card.

Please excuse me for the confusion generated.

Ah yes, I understand, this issue is a known problem, in the past I remember that some of the changes Layout_id corrected this, but I think that
The patch wern apfel working of the universal form.

attachicon.gifAppleALC.kext.zip

Again, thanks - but somehow this version isn't working -- see below (sound works, but the icons jumping in the menubar is still going on)

Thank you - that's very kind, and much appreciated.

For what it's worth - I installed it, and the menu bar icons still 'jump'.

- placed in /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12/.

- AppleALC you attached + Lilu + CodecCommander all in the folder above

- Reboot

Same behavior. Icons jump.

Any idea?