Acer Aspire and OS X

m1956

15 posts in this topic

Greetings all. I was able to install Jas' 10.4.7 on my laptop although it was not without frustration.

First of all, my system is an out of the box 1.6 Cel M with 512M, Atheros wireless, Realtek ethernet and AC97 sound. About the only mod I have done to this is change the OS to XP Pro.

I first tried Jas' .6 version but did not get anywhere other than the gray apple screen then on to a blank blue screen. I couldn't even get the installer to load even after numerous attempts. I found the MyZ.iso and was able to get the sw installed but on reboot, I would get the same blank blue screen.

Back to the Jas .6 version, installer loaded finally and was once able to load the desktop (with sound and ethernet conn but no wireless) but on reboot, it would take me back to the same blank screen. Subsequent reboots took me no futher and finally I just got the b0 error. I just don't know how I was able to load the desktop that one time. The verbose option went by too fast for me to log what errors I got just prior and apparently the Pause/Break key does not work with this OS. At this point I should mention that I am a complete newbie to this OS but have spent time with MS (since DOS) and different versions of Linux. Ubuntu installed quite nicely on this machine.

Anyway, I found Jas' .7 version and decided to give that a go. This is about the same time I found this website. Let me tell you, this site is a godsend and I want to extend my thanks to all those that have contributed their knowledge and experiences. This was also the time I found Rammjet's link to the two wire mod for the external display port. And that folks, was what clinched it for me.

I can now load OS X, with sound and ethernet conn, <1280 x 800 display only and still no wireless conn. I still have much to read up as far as configuration options and am sure, in time I will find the solution to the wireless problem.

Cheers all and thanks again for this exceptional knowledge base. OS X makes XP look real tired and I may just consider my next system from MAC instead.

Hi OriginalKoala,

I have the Aspire 3624 and I really did nothing special other than install the Intel updates. The sound worked the first time I got the .6 ver to load.

I looked through Acer for your model and it appears you have the SoundBlaster card. If this is so, the .7 ver has an update for SB card. You may want to explore that avenue. I hesitate to recommend updating to the 10.4.7 version. Perhaps others may chime in on their experience with this version.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help as I'm just exploring this new OS.

troisd, that was an interesting read on your install experience. However, I don't experience the slowness or lag you mentioned in your thread. This thing boots up faster than when XP was installed.

I have just tried the Jas .8 update and all that did was lame my wireless USB mouse. It would no longer highlight when I'd click and drag. Other than that, no susceptible difference in performance or functionality.

For kicks, I re-installed the .7 ver to see if my first install was just a fluke and it went through with no glitches. The wireless is still not working though. I have tried the repairpermissions command to no effect. I still can't see the wifi in networks. If I am doing something wrong, please correct me.

One odd thing about this re-install; on initial boot, it displayed the screen with the Welcome message in several languages and the screen to screen transition was animated whereas before, it simply dumped me to subseqeunt screens. It's trivial, but odd as I did not change anything during the process.

Anyway, on to my quest for the wifi solution.

Cheers.

Well, editing the kext file didn't work. Thanks anyway Rammjet, but I'm sure one of the fixes listed in here will eventually work. Key is to finding which one, eh?

On the other hand, I am sure getting good at installing this OS. I still prefer it over XP and will definitely consider a Macbook when finances dictate.

Cheers.

Rammjet: Maybe you can help me out with my sound problems.

I have followed your tutorials several times and it just doesn't work for me.

I have installed AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and changed the plist files to suit my dev and vendor ID as I have found for my Acer Aspire 1641Wlmi laptop.

What occurs is that the audio is shown as HD output, it plays audio and I can change volume for it but I don't actually hear anything. I've tried headphones in all of the jacks just in case it was coming out somewhere else.

I read on the the forums here that if this is occuring to delete azalia and install AppleHDA.kext but this didn't work.

Some details about the laptop are:

Realtek ALC880, so my first kext file has this

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0880</string>

dev and vendor id make the second file like this

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x26688086</string>

I am using 10.4.7 with Jas' updates.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to annoy others with this but I have been at it now for 3 days and I've clear run out of ideas.

Thanks mate.

paul

Maybe you can help me out with my sound problems.

Your vendor/device strings look OK. Many people with ALC880 have gotten sound working with that procedure, although they gripe about lack of sound in or multichannel out.

The only other thing to play with is Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I'll need an external sound card for use with it.

I have to say thanks for your help on the board, I've only been at this for a week now but I've followed your instructions a lot and they've been a great help.

paul

I finally got my wireless to work using aznracer's kext file. Funny thing is, when I viewed the contents, my dev and ven ids did not match any of them. Oh well, as long as it works.

Thanks to all and a big thank you to Jas for the .7.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Rammjet: Could you help with a issue i have with my Acer Extensa 3003WLMi. 10.4.7 installed.

The trackpad wont work. If i use a usb mouse its fine and i can use the keypad only if i dont touch the trackpad. It would be nice to use it as laptop rather than have to plug a mouse into it.

Any help would be awsome. Thanks.