OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

I'm still observing how it behaves and playing around. Generally, the EAPD bit should stick because of the *pop* that is being issued, but sometimes it gets disabled after exactly 35 second after the audio stream (produced by the *pop*) stops. To reenable it would require a 2nd PIO. Also, you don't actually have to go to sleep now, you can just send the machine to sleep (from menu) and interrupt it after 5 second. Same thing when you lose jack sense after 2nd PIO.

With LID sleep there's this difference about how the machine is transitioned to sleep and awoken. So by the time you open the LID everything has initialized already and it requires a bit longer delay than Fn+Esc or Apple-Sleep. I myself prefer hitting Fn+Esc then closing the LID... everyone has his ways though, so we must account that. But so far with the headphone amp poweron-poweroff trick and lesser delay in between checks it seems to work pretty consistently. At least from what I had tested for past couple of days. Hiccups still happen, but going to Apple-Sleep and interrupting it solves majority of them without the need to reset or sleep cycle.

Takes 2 if you do a longer sleep cycle (like leave it overnight) or wake with LID and walk away when it prompts for password and then it will go to that fugue-sleep state again.. I still Ned to determine if the headphone event really helps, or its the lesser time interval in between checks.

UPD: i thought that everything was working fine but i didn't notice that i sent to sleep with menu option before i posted. like you said, everything work fine after send it to sleep through menu, including all sleep mode and the 35s.

Made something new this weekend .. not sure if 14R users can use this, but 3450 user having a laptop that ships with illuminated keyboard certainly can.

I've yet to finish it, but it works for the most part as it is ... I'm *that lazy* that I need my keyboard to enable and disable illumination for me :)

https://github.com/Dolnor/KB-Backlight-Commander

I just though that 14R being an entertainment -oriented machine won't come with backlight keyboard from the factory but I knew for a fact that you can install one, guess I was wrong. I've pushed some changes. Do we need a hid tickle event (alt or control press and release for example) on a  virtual keyboard so that the illumination level would change by itself, without the user input? Well, I suppose you wouldn't know what I mean until you try the kext.

actually it doesn't install by default but motherboard reminds power support port, so i buy a backlight keyboard from XPS installed, works fine without modification.

just download it and compile, works well. I turn off backlight then restart, it automatically turns on with step one, defined in the ssdt-9 while it's night now. 

2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: commander initializing

2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: plist config --> time zone GMT:8
2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: commander probing
2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: commander version 0.1.0 starting
2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: acpi config --> backlight level 1, timeout level 180
2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: acpi config --> enable past 17:00, disable past 09:00
2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: backlight timeout level set to 15 min
2/10/14 9:05:39.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: workloop started
2/10/14 9:05:40.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: backlight level changed to dim

And i know what you try to say, but how to use a virtual keyboard do u mean keyboard viewer ? on the other hand, pressing Fn+F6 directly is more effective compare open keyboard viewer i think.  

What I mean is that currently if you are not working on your laptop and time to enable backlight hits the keyboard won't illuminate until you touch touchpad or press a key on the keyboard. What i m asking whether its fine or I should simulate press of Ctrl or alt when this transition from on to off or from off to on happens? Personally I think its pointless, since you only need the backlight when you are typing.. But someone may have another POV.

Thanks for testing though!

Ultimately my idea was to invoke camera module and somehow determine the luminosity around. It's possible, but complicated.. but the thing with this approach is that the LED from the camera would always be enabled and on vostro its white and really really bright, so it would be uncomfortable for your eyes when you work.

i compile and installed but for now it useless for me until i get a backlit keyboard. it make me ask you a question, if i buy a backlit keyboard, is it compatible with my 14R system? because i search on ebay for it and he say if my system 14R didn't ship with backlit wouldn't work.

2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: commander initializing
2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: plist config --> time zone GMT:-5
2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: commander probing
2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: commander version 0.1.0 starting
2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: acpi config --> backlight level 1, timeout level 180
2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: acpi config --> enable past 17:00, disable past 09:00
2/10/14 2:16:53.000 PM kernel[0]: BacklightCommander: backlight timeout level set to 15 min

Oh those bastards hid the connector lol. But you can certainly dremel the plastic out and use the zif, just make sure to tape the plastic that may potentially cut the flimsy ribbon of the backlight connector.

On a related note.. Ive spent grand majority of yesterday debugging the ITE keyboard/EC controller that is seen on that picture. If you have access to a live distribution of Ubuntu mind checking if this would work for ya? Use sudo perl dell_ec command in terminal to read from the embedded controller.

https://github.com/Dolnor/DELL-Tiano-IT8518E-Debug

wow, i see hwsensor log shows unknown ITE chip. but now i haven't one i can do a test. 

Edit:

Aha, it seems your script needs to correct with " instead with ”. or it doesn't excute.

This is all info i get, all commands runs well, i see my laptop gets 90w ac adapter and 88% battery healthy. 

perl.txt

cool, thanks for testing! still need to add led sense for cap, num and scroll and thats pretty much everything I was able to debug.

the AMD board sure has more temp sensors when compared to intel-only boards..

this along with the fan control algorithm will probably end up as an all-in-one IT8518E fan control and info app for windows at some point.

yeah, there may be differences as quotes go.. my ubuntu installation was picky so I had to use  ”

tw, i tested your perl script and all command work well for me too. there are a few smart quotes and perl does not support smart quotes as string delimiters, my system is intel-only. like you said AMD board has more temp sensors than intel-only. i compared it with zprood log and saw less temp sensors.

Zprood, thanks for the pic, i will check later and let you know.

Update: I found it, now i will order a backlit keyboard. thanks!

logs.txt