Ozmosis

xpamamadeus
6,231 posts in this topic

Anyone know how to get Refind working with Ozmosis? I tried to boot OSX from Refind and/or even the EFIshell and get Unsupported Hardware error but OSX boots fine from bios directly..

Weird.

Thanks

Edit: Seems like bootloaders like refit or refind reset whatever magic that Ozmosis does so those of that want a graphical boot menu might as well hack the source code of refind or easier install Clover either directly on the efi partition or on a usb key and use Clover as the boot menu instead.

Only thing Oz doesn't have is a manual and the readme doesn't always help.

@King: Maybe you can tell us lowly noobs how to set the default os in the Oz Gui. Mine is set to the Recovery Partition. Thanks

Only thing Oz doesn't have is a manual and the readme doesn't always help.

@King: Maybe you can tell us lowly noobs how to set the default os in the Oz Gui. Mine is set to the Recovery Partition. Thanks

Default OS is set as it is on real macs, using start-up preference pane...

Edited by fantomas1
Flaming

I just wanted to post some observations I have made this morning regarding the GUI. Not meant as criticism. I thing Oz is pretty cool but also it has a few quirks I have noticed:

1. DSDT and SSDT and plist files on my system do not get loaded I think until you do a hard reset or four finger salute. Note that other sites have documented ssdt loading quirks.

2. Selecting a default boot disk in the configuration panel wipes the nvram Oz Gui setting back to disabled. Bet its by design. Interesting side effect.

3. Doing a four finger reset somehow lost my ubuntu install partition after such that Ubuntu was no longer in the f12 boot menu or the OZ Gui though refind was able to see it. Had to manually add the grubx64.efi file back using bcfg in the efi shell. 

4. Keep getting added efi shell entries in the f12 boot menu

5. Sometimes at the Oz gui pressing f12 or clicking the EFI terminal icon loads up the bios setup page.

6. Pressing escape at boot to disable Oz while GUI is still enabled brings up the GUI with no main icons except the config and efi shell icons all being nonfunctional.. ie no way to disable Oz if GUI is on.

Anyhow I hope my feed back helps  in some way.  

To the devs please don't take it the wrong way. I wouldn't doubt I might have made a mistake or two messing with the technology but you can't develop without user feed back. 

Thanks.

if your Ozmosis doesn't show all the available boot partitions or harddrives, use the following command:

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableBootEntriesFilter=%01

either in the OS X Terminal or in the Ozmosis Boot Shell.

if your Ozmosis doesn't show all the available boot partitions or harddrives, use the following command:

Thanks that did the trick. Ubuntu played hide n seek again after out of curiosity I swapped the sata cables on the drives around. Disk Utility drive info indicated that my osx was on disk1 and ubuntu on disk0 but after the swap nothing changed. I thought I might not have installed the osx disk on sata port 0 but was pretty sure i did  so I swapped them back hoping to see ubuntu again after the  nvram variable. It took a second reboot for Ubuntu to come back though and the funny thing is that the Diskutility is now saying the osx disk is on disk0 like I wanted. I have to study on how operating systems assign disk(n)s what ever designations. Obviously its not based on what port the sata drive is on!

Thanks.

Edit: Been trying to multiboot my Windows 8.1 partition. I got it converted to efi gpt and it boots fine with the original non-oz firmware but otherwise with oz installed either the usb installer or the win 8.1 partition fails. I have dual bios so its easy to switch back and forth. Thing is I hard set my apple friendly dsdt into the oz bios. Could it be Windows just isnt apple dsdt friendly?

Thanks.

what makes exact this instruction? Can I set thereby also different filters?

Thanks that did the trick. Ubuntu played hide n seek again after out of curiosity I swapped the sata cables on the drives around. Disk Utility drive info indicated that my osx was on disk1 and ubuntu on disk0 but after the swap nothing changed. I thought I might not have installed the osx disk on sata port 0 but was pretty sure i did  so I swapped them back hoping to see ubuntu again after the  nvram variable. It took a second reboot for Ubuntu to come back though and the funny thing is that the Diskutility is now saying the osx disk is on disk0 like I wanted. I have to study on how operating systems assign disk(n)s what ever designations. Obviously its not based on what port the sata drive is on!

Thanks.

Edit: Been trying to multiboot my Windows 8.1 partition. I got it converted to efi gpt and it boots fine with the original non-oz firmware but otherwise with oz installed either the usb installer or the win 8.1 partition fails. I have dual bios so its easy to switch back and forth. Thing is I hard set my apple friendly dsdt into the oz bios. Could it be Windows just isnt apple dsdt friendly?

Thanks.

Please post your DSDT or even better your modded bios. You can use OSDW method to exclude OS X specific changes from what will be given to windows. You can see how it is done in DSDT of  real mac or extract the dsdt from quo firmware to have an example.

I think the problem is that you renamed PCI0.SAT0 to PCI0.SATA so the additional SSDT SATA tables from firmware can not be loaded anymore. That would give a blue screen and a reset when attempting to load windows. The solution is very simple, you have to find and extract the SATA tables from your BIOS, change SAT0 to SATA there as well, recompile and reinsert into bios again.

if you upload your bios, i can give it a look

thanks

I have only just now got Clover UEFI dual booting Mavericks 10.9.5 and Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

I am wanting to inject bootloader/kexts into BIOS, so I can have trouble-free upgrades/updates.

I have MSI P67A-GD55(B3) motherboard, using AMI UEFI BIOS (ver 2.4 - latest). I would *PREFER* not to brick my board, so any info gratefully accepted :-)

Cheers, and great work.

Please post your DSDT or even better your modded bios. You can use OSDW method to exclude OS X specific changes from what will be given to windows. You can see how it is done in DSDT of  real mac or extract the dsdt from quo firmware to have an example.

I think the problem is that you renamed PCI0.SAT0 to PCI0.SATA so the additional SSDT SATA tables from firmware can not be loaded anymore. That would give a blue screen and a reset when attempting to load windows. The solution is very simple, you have to find and extract the SATA tables from your BIOS, change SAT0 to SATA there as well, recompile and reinsert into bios again.

if you upload your bios, i can give it a look

thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure about the Sata tables but it's possible one of the patches has renamed something windows 8.1 doesn't like. Interesting to note that even Clover on stock bios couldn't load windows. I have a dual bios switch so going back and forth between bios versions is not a problem. Going to start over working out the dsdt bugs but but would you recommend leaving the stock dsdt in the bios and loading the modded dsdt from the OZ folder instead or is it recommended to integrate that dsdt into the ami bios?

Thanks

Hi,

There is CpuType key in OzmosisDefault.plist.

Fred

yes, but how can we know which type of cpu_type we have to add in key? is there some software or calculus to know? 

I have only just now got Clover UEFI dual booting Mavericks 10.9.5 and Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

I am wanting to inject bootloader/kexts into BIOS, so I can have trouble-free upgrades/updates.

I have MSI P67A-GD55(B3) motherboard, using AMI UEFI BIOS (ver 2.4 - latest). I would *PREFER* not to brick my board, so any info gratefully accepted :-)

Cheers, and great work.

here detailed instructions with video:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301407-guide-insert-ozmosis-into-uefi-bios/?hl=%20ozmosis

or you can use OZMTool from terminal, it is a great tool and saves a lot of manual work but I would to recommend to do it once manually so you can understand what you need to do to get osmosis inside the bios and what all the modules are for.

when using non gigabyte board usually you have to disable MSR lock with PMPatch or newer version UEFI Patch otherwise you have to use patched AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext to be able to boot OS X and to use speedstep and turboboost functions further.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure about the Sata tables but it's possible one of the patches has renamed something windows 8.1 doesn't like. Interesting to note that even Clover on stock bios couldn't load windows. I have a dual bios switch so going back and forth between bios versions is not a problem. Going to start over working out the dsdt bugs but but would you recommend leaving the stock dsdt in the bios and loading the modded dsdt from the OZ folder instead or is it recommended to integrate that dsdt into the ami bios?

Thanks

I did integrate the modded DSDT into bios to make it as native as real mac. It was my goal. I can boot a 10.8+ ssd pulled out from a mac and install OS X from USB stick created with terminal without [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or doing whatever modifications or workaround. But if you want to dual boot windows you have to be careful about the changes you do to your DSDT. It took me three days to find out that the reason why windows did not load was only one letter in my DSDT ;-) I did find it  by adding just some changes at once to my stock DSDT, putting dsdt into bios and flashing it. Like that i found out that it was my SATA DSDT mod which prevented windows from booting. That helped me and hopefully it will help someone else with the same problem.

You can check that you do not brake dependancies with your modded bios and that all ssdts are still able to load. You can start windows from stock bios, run some program to extract and visualize all your SSDTs and check if you can compile your modded DSDT when inserting stock SSDTs into it. 

Good luck