Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,058 posts in this topic

Just now, Jief_Machak said:

Wouldn't be surprise it'll stay. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't support booting on main partition.

What is the problem to always boot on Preboot ?

No problem, just not what I’m used too that’s all. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jief_Machak said:

Wouldn't be surprise it'll stay. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't support booting on main partition.

Older systems has no it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jief_Machak said:

I cannot comment on what is the correct behavior to boot the main partition or the pre-boot partition, you know this much better than I. I'm just a regular macOS user :)

I noticed that if I go to "Startup Disk" I cannot select the pre-boot volume, and when I select my macOS installation and press restart there will be a KP. So it seems that it does not try to boot from pre-boot, because then it should work without KP.

Clover has always worked with selecting the main macOS partition in the boot menu and OC can boot from main macOS partition as well.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Forgot to say that in the earlier betas we could boot through selecting main partition in Clover as well. I think beta 9 and earlier worked fine that way.

Edited by Common_Sense
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slice said:

May be set in config.plist something like Boot->AlwaysPreboot=YES/NO ?

@Slice Why not, but only for Big Sur, I suppose. Because previous macOS boot fine from main partition. If I understand well.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Common_Sense said:

OC can boot from main macOS partition as well

I don't think that's true. I have to double-check, but I think OC boot only on Preboot. You just don't know it.

22 minutes ago, Slice said:

May be set in config.plist something like Boot->AlwaysPreboot=YES/NO ?

Boot on main is not supported and doesn't work anymore. Probably some hard coding in boot.efi. Let just disabled it for BS. We'll leave as it was for previous version.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Shaneee said:

In theory copying the OC patches into a Clover config should work but I've not had any success. "Base" becomes "Procedure" and the rest are self explanatory but it always fails to start booting. 

OC Patch:

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>x86_64</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string>_cpu_topology_sort</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>algrey - cpu_topology_sort -disable _x86_validate_topology</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				6AAA//8=
				</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>kernel</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>
				/wAA//8=
				</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string>20.99.99</string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string>17.0.0</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				Dx9EAAA=
				</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>

Clover Version:

<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>6AAA//8=</data>
				<key>MaskFind</key>
				<data>/wAA//8=</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>Dx9EAAA=</data>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>algrey - cpu_topology_sort -disable _x86_validate_topology</string>
				<key>Procedure</key>
				<string>_cpu_topology_sort</string>
			</dict>

I found something maybe cause failed to boot Big Sur in my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

The following patches can boot Catalina 10.15.7 and its log showed errors:

KernelToPatch-log.rtf

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 4.11.19 PM.png

2 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

I will very soon update Clover to show Preboot and NOT main partitions for BigSur.

Make sure you didn't force hide Preboot in config.plist.

No, I never hide, preboot. Because I think I will definitely need it in the future, there is no need to hide.

Hello Guys,

Do you know how to solve this error?
I am days trying to install BS Beta 9 through the flashdrive but I always stop at this error. I've tried OpenCore 0.6.1 and 0.6.2 not work, now I'm trying from clover r5123 to r5125.
Does anyone know what I need to modify in Clover to get through?

Note 1: I already tried with FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC. I've tried copying the Quircs from sample.plist without modifying. I modified the Quircs like a Sanity Checker. I always stuck in the same place.

Note 2: My debug.log is always getting empty. I do not know what happened.

Note 3: I have Catalina working well.

My EFI: EFI Vinicius P. Miranda.zip

MB: Rampage IV Extreme x79
CPU: Intel i7 3930k Sandy Bridge-E

IMG_0149.thumb.jpeg.5053e893c3a7cb4e822641f77b4b007f.jpeg

Edited by Vinicius P. Miranda

40 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

I don't think that's true. I have to double-check, but I think OC boot only on Preboot. You just don't know it.

Boot on main is not supported and doesn't work anymore. Probably some hard coding in boot.efi. Let just disabled it for BS. We'll leave as it was for previous version.

Oh, it might of course be that it boots pre-boot behind the scenes, I wouldn't notice any difference, didn't mean to sound arrogant :blush:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Common_Sense said:

Oh, it might of course be that it boots pre-boot behind the scenes, I wouldn't notice any difference, didn't mean to sound arrogant :blush:

It's Preboot, APFS never supported main partition boot (I heard Apple does this under special circumstances, but never saw any proof), i.e. you may or may not be lucky. Both Startup Disk and bless hide the Preboot situation, it's an implementation detail not relevant to the (Mac) user

28 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

It's Preboot, APFS never supported main partition boot (I heard Apple does this under special circumstances, but never saw any proof), i.e. you may or may not be lucky. Both Startup Disk and bless hide the Preboot situation, it's an implementation detail not relevant to the (Mac) user

Yes, I think it is. It's Preboot, APFS. I can feel it. I tried Partition Harddisk Guide Format, it could not be installed. Only APFS format is required to install successfully.

40 minutes ago, jsl2000 said:

Please test my converted new patch which maybe working for you at Big Sur too.

17h-new-clover.plist

tested fully functional on mojave and catalina 
big sur, however, does not even start; my idea is that as soon as they fix the MatchOS then it will work properly

Also, continue the work, I came up with the idea (to be verified well) that Limit corresponds to Clover's RangeFind

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iCanaro said:

if you want to try, on my X570 they work

config-CATA_MOJ_26.plist.zip - not tested

config-CATA_BS_38.plist.zip - boots Catalina & Big Sur to a point - see picture. 

config-CATA_BS_29.plist.zip - not tested - next test  

Spoiler

image.jpg

EDIT- I left it on the above screen longer and it finally booted big sur!

Also WiFi is not working.

with Clover 5125. I just need to work out what’s causing all the audio text and the BYS3 stall.

Simple NVRAM reset fixed the above and boots fast!

@iCanaro TYVM! @Jief_Machak & @Slice Great work to bring us AMD users into the Clover world.

Nothing on my config changed except for the quoted patches (config-CATA_BS_38.plist.zip)

Spoiler

1618595552_ScreenShot2020-10-19at10_04_47pm.thumb.png.b66935a839a4f9c72bd8614669a1fe30.png

Edited by SavageAUS
It booted!!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

@Download-Fritz , @naiclub: Prior to beta 10, I tested booting my build (haswell GA-Z97-HD3) in BS using clover 5123, selecting in clover GUI the Big Sur partition (Preboot was hidden) and it worked well. I configured it based on an EFI posted by a colleague (the build was a Z87) in the pre-release Big Sur thread. And he also posted his working clover EFI under beta 10 but I haven’t updated mine to see if I can boot from main partition. Maybe not being able to boot from main partition is affecting some systems. In my case, it appears that Apple changed something in beta 10 and I did not figure out right way what is now precluding me from booting beta10 through clover 5125 selecting the Main partition instead of Preboot which is the case now.  Any thoughts about that?

• Like 1

@everyone. As far as I know, there is NO special processing when it's a main partition or not. For Clover it's just a partition that contains an .efi, so let's boot it.

Nothing is made in Clover to make a main partition bootable or not. That's why I said that it was an Apple change. No commit, either old ones or new ones will change that.

But I'm doing now is to hide main BS partition. That's all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2