Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,907 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys!

Is there a way to fix older themes (Minimalism in this case) with newer Clover (5118 for example)? The Optimise button doesn't seem to do much in this case. Also, not sure if it's just me, but the Theme Manager included into the Clover app (v1.22) doesn't seem to want to install any new themes...

1249399540_Screenshot2020-05-22at14_08_35.thumb.png.53e4f4a10cf2a4e2fe6be48ba7842e71.png

screenshot8.thumb.png.efd4b2aab2c588e0a8f0201554ba055f.png

screenshot9.thumb.png.d791dc0731251b32b45447bfdcd364be.png

Hi, here works as expected, but you can give me a help to understand the problem. If you have more than one disk, please select the desired one firstly and then onother one, then select again the desired disk.  Or, after selected the desired disk once, close the manager and reopen it again. I suspect the mount operation is too slow and mount() return success while the mount point is not yet really created (mechanical hard disk?). Can you check,  in short, if the problem goes away if the disk is already mounted?

Thanks in advance

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, xiyue said:

Yes, I found in the script file ~/src/CloverBootloader/CloverPackage/makepkg that there are parameters to customize the package, but I don't know how to use them. I want to make a silm package.

You can do that manually (but then you have to ensure all needed enviroment variables are correctly exported..and it's worth a try) or modify ~/src/CloverBootloader/buildme at line 195 from:

make pkg

to

make slimpkg3

where:

• slimpkg1 = pkg without themes
  • slimpkg2 = pkg without themes, without preferences panel and rc scripts
  • slimpkg3 = as  slimpkg2 + without BIOS options (UEFI stuff only) 

EDIT
I never added a submenu for that as for github releases it is not required (and you are the first who ever asked it), but you can do it. 

Edited by vector sigma

1 hour ago, vector sigma said:

Hi, here works as expected, but you can give me a help to understand the problem. If you have more than one disk, please select the desired one firstly and then onother one, then select again the desired disk.  Or, after selected the desired disk once, close the manager and reopen it again. I suspect the mount operation is too slow and mount() return success while the mount point is not yet really created (mechanical hard disk?). Can you check,  in short, if the problem goes away if the disk is already mounted?

Thanks in advance

Hey Vector! :) Long time no talk!

Sure, I'll help you out.

The disk is already selected (you can see it in the screenshot, too, disk3s1, so yeah, multiple disks here), and it's actually been mounted from the app itself before even opening the Theme Manager. But I'll try what you suggested.

The EFI partition is definitely mounted at that point, cause I can access it in Finder, no problem. So I don't think that's what it is. But, as I said, sure, we'll work on this to get it fixed. :) It would be my pleasure to contribute with a really small thing to your (and not just yours) countless hours of work on this project.

So, brb. :) 

1 hour ago, Slice said:

My screenshot with this theme installed and optimized.

screenshot10.png

Looking beautiful! :D Alright, then I guess it's probably something on my side. Let's see what it could be.

I'll also try the delete thing you mentioned before.

Many thanks! :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hey Vector! :) Long time no talk!

Sure, I'll help you out.

The disk is already selected (you can see it in the screenshot, too, disk3s1, so yeah, multiple disks here), and it's actually been mounted from the app itself before even opening the Theme Manager. But I'll try what you suggested.

The EFI partition is definitely mounted at that point, cause I can access it in Finder, no problem. So I don't think that's what it is. But, as I said, sure, we'll work on this to get it fixed. :) It would be my pleasure to contribute with a really small thing to your (and not just yours) countless hours of work on this project.

So, brb. :) 

Thanks, first of all try the optimized theme and see if works: Mavs Style.zip

Then, can you tell me what OS are you running? Looks like, from the portion of the visible background is it Sierra or High Sierra? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Thanks, first of all try the optimized theme and see if works: Mavs Style.zip

Then, can you tell me what OS are you running? Looks like, from the portion of the visible background is it Sierra or High Sierra? 

So, the theme itself does work, if you manually install it in Clover/themes and set it up in config. The download through the Theme Manager, however, still doesn't.

Also, that's neither Sierra, nor High Sierra, although you're right, the colours look a bit like that. It's actually from a gorgeous wallpaper you can see below. :) I'm on Catalina (build 19F94a).

screenshot6.png

0f85fc483dd5e85460ee4d685a86edbb.jpg

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

So, the theme itself does work, if you manually install it in Clover/themes and set it up in config. The download through the Theme Manager, however, still doesn't.

Did you speak about Theme Manager or about Clover.app? The last one works fine.

19 minutes ago, Slice said:

Did you speak about Theme Manager or about Clover.app? The last one works fine.

Well, the Clover app also has a built-in theme manager. So I'm not talking about the dedicated app that blackosx made a while ago . I'm talking about the Clover app section that you can access from Themes -> Manager. Screenshot below. :D 

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 20.23.41.png

So, the theme itself does work

I optimized it with the app.

And I'm still getting those question mark icons for the EFI partitions... 

the question mark is shown when a disk has something wrong as it is returned by the app to let you understand that something is wrong. The error is returned by the DiskArbitration.framework. 

Also, that's neither Sierra, nor High Sierra, although you're right, the colours look a bit like that. 

Understood. I asked because DiskArbitration.framework changed a lot between in 10.13+, as you can remembar to mount a disk in newer oses you need root privileges while in the older it's not needed. In short, the app uses two different code and I wanted to figure out which.

Tomorro I'll try with to attach a rotational disk somewhere and see what..

• Like 1

Well, it would be nice if you could try it, too.. But I don't think the fact that it's a spinning hard drive has anything to do with it... Just my opinion of course.

Also, when is that error set up to appear? Under which circumstances? Cause it's throwing that error almost instantly. It doesn't look like it's actually searching for that theme anywhere... So...where is it looking for it? Cause that might explain the error.

Edited by arsradu

5 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, it would be nice if you could try it, too.. But I don't think the fact that it's a spinning hard drive has anything to do with it... Just my opinion of course.

oh no, different it's uge, at least in performances. The app operates in different cpu threads and send calculations to a background one and the UI is updated in the main thread, but background functions (and calculations)  should meet the mains one at some point (and wait each other) .. so I want to ensure the problem is not a thread that finish running after other code when is late (here the ssd has no problem) .......... And... if a problem exist in my code.. fix it.

I wish I could do it now, but now I'm going to eat in the restaurant after ere as since few days in Italy is allowed again.. after the lock down (due to the covid-19). So I'm going to eat to die and almost get drunk. I will test tomorrow :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

oh no, different it's uge, at least in performances. The app operates in different cpu threads and send calculations to a background one and the UI is updated in the main thread, but background functions (and calculations)  should meet the mains one at some point (and wait each other) .. so I want to ensure the problem is not a thread that finish running after other code when is late (here the ssd has no problem) .......... And... if a problem exist in my code.. fix it.

I wish I could do it now, but now I'm going to eat in the restaurant after ere as since few days in Italy is allowed again.. after the lock down (due to the covid-19). So I'm going to eat to die and almost get drunk. I will test tomorrow :)

:))))))))))) I know, man! I perfectly understand.

By the way, I totally expect that this is probably something I misconfigured on my side, or some stupid thing I did that caused it. I mean...it's still good to debug in case other users encounter it, too. But just saying... Don't worry. I can help you tomorrow just like I'm doing it today. So, no rush! Enjoy your life first. There's plenty of time for work, too.

Take good care of yourself, man! Always a pleasure talking to you. :) 

8 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

not today :lol:

P.S. just kidding 

No no. You should always take care of yourself! :) 

By the way, I feel like this might have something to do with the way Clover is installed vs the Clover app. Cause they're not both on the same drive. Clover itself is indeed on the HDD. But the Clover app is on another drive (an SSD). Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does... I don't know. I mean, as long as the correct EFI partition is loaded, I guess it should work....?

So...that's why I said I don't think this is related to the type of drive itself...as much as the way Clover app is set to operate (meaning "remotely", from another drive). So...I think it might be related to the path to the resources...or something like that, more than the drive itself... But your explanation makes sense. So...I guess it could be that, too. :D 

Anyway, we'll talk tomorrow!! ENJOY your meal!!!! :D There's plenty of time to discuss this further tomorrow or at another time. :) 

Edited by arsradu

Hi @arsradu, tried with multiple hardware configurations, ssd, hdd, sd, usb.. but have found no errors. So I made a debug version: Clover.app.zip

Please run it with the Terminal (supposing you place it into your Desktop): 

~/Desktop/Clover.app/Contents/MacOS/Clover

..run the manager and try to install the theme. Please post the output. Thx in advance. 

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Hi @arsradu, tried with multiple hardware configurations, ssd, hdd, sd, usb.. but have found no errors. So I made a debug version: Clover.app.zip

Please run it with the Terminal (supposing you place it into your Desktop): 

..run the manager and try to install the theme. Please post the output. Thx in advance. 

Hi there! Welcome back!

Sure. Please, see below.

ESP has been mounted from the Clover App itself, before entering the Theme Manager section. That's why you can see EFI Volume being mounted there.

I told you, I'm totally expecting this to be something stupid related to my setup. Especially since neither one of you guys could reproduce it on your end. So, clearly it's some stupid thing I did.

Volume EFI on disk3s1 mounted
Error: Theme Manager can't load /Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/Mavs Style.plist
Error: Theme Manager can't load /Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/Minimalism.plist
Error: Theme Manager can't load /Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/bootcamp2.0.plist
Downloading theme named 'OSS'
Unexpected error: '/Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/OSS.plist' is nil.

Edited by arsradu

Looks like the indexing fail. What if you refresh it by pushing the below button (and wait it to finish until last theme is loaded at left)? 

1184891436_Screenshot2020-05-25at23_13_24.png.e015f1b38b37a20c854f80d3bb78e27f.png

The code inside a loop update a file (e.g. BGO.plist) that contains a list of all the theme's files but yours are looking damaged. The problem was identified,  and I need to think an alternative, for example write those files in memory and write once to the disk. Though the refresh button may fix it as for this purpose was created.

The disk as nothing to do with the problem...

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Looks like the indexing fail. What if you refresh it by pushing the below button (and wait it to finish until last theme is loaded at left)? 

1184891436_Screenshot2020-05-25at23_13_24.png.e015f1b38b37a20c854f80d3bb78e27f.png

The code inside a loop update a file (e.g. BGO.plist) that contains a list of all the theme's files but yours are looking damaged. The problem was identified,  and I need to think an alternative, for example write those files in memory and write once to the disk. Though the refresh button may fix it as for this purpose was created.

The disk as nothing to do with the problem...

Well, you were right. That was a success! :) And indeed, it didn't have anything to do with the disk.

Initially, it threw the same initial error, but after reindexing, it went ahead into "dowloading". :P Small typo there to fix when you can.

Also, there are probably multiple ways this can be fixed. Some more elegant than others. For example, updating the message and pointing the user to the Refresh button below would be one of them. Maybe not the most elegant one. But it should do the trick. And it would probably take a few seconds to implement. :))

Because, to me, for example, it wasn't really obvious what was the problem. I mean, the theme looked "found" since it was displayed on the left, and the error ("theme not found") didn't make much sense in this context. It wasn't really obvious that I should try a refresh, since the list looked to be already refreshed and loading correctly.

So...one simple way would probably be to just add a message for the user saying something like: "Theme {name} not found. Try to refresh the list by pressing the Refresh button below."

For better, nicer, slicker alternatives, I'll let you think of something. I know you'll most likely come up with a waaay better idea. :) For me personally, that would work just fine. It wouldn't be the most elegant solution, development-wise, it would be nice if the list was already up to date, but..it would work.

2108075017_Screenshot2020-05-26at00_54_33.thumb.png.601c70a18548f2dc3b049eefea819097.png

Error: Theme Manager can't load /Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/Mavs Style.plist
Error: Theme Manager can't load /Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/Minimalism.plist
Error: Theme Manager can't load /Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Themes/bootcamp2.0.plist
Downloading theme named 'sketched_dark'
57 to dowload...
dowloading file nr 1 'sketched_dark/icons/vol_optical.icns'
dowloading file nr 2 'sketched_dark/anim_logo/anim_logo_011.png'
dowloading file nr 3 'sketched_dark/screenshot.png'
dowloading file nr 4 'sketched_dark/sound.wav'
dowloading file nr 5 'sketched_dark/anim_logo/anim_logo_005.png'
[...]
succeded! (theme Dest is '/Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Downloads/sketched_dark')

Also, when relaunching, it doesn't show those initial errors anymore.

Meaning these:

I downloaded two themes (Sketched Dark and Mimi Black), no problem.

Downloading theme named 'mimi black'
62 to dowload...
dowloading file nr 1 'mimi black/icons/vol_external.icns'
dowloading file nr 2 'mimi black/scrollbar/scroll_end.png'
dowloading file nr 3 'mimi black/icons/func_help.png'
dowloading file nr 4 'mimi black/icons/func_clover.png'
dowloading file nr 5 'mimi black/icons/func_secureboot_config.png'
[...]
succeded! (theme Dest is '/Users/jimmy/Library/Application Support/CloverApp/Themeindex/CloverHackyColor_CloverThemes/Downloads/mimi black')

Thank you! :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 12:05 AM, arsradu said:

Thank you! :) 

You are welcome!

Initially, it threw the same initial error, but after reindexing, it went ahead into "dowloading". :P Small typo there to fix when you can.

thanks (i wrote it in rush), to the end this will not be anywhere. Was just a temporary debug log.

Also, there are probably multiple ways this can be fixed. Some more elegant than others. For example, updating the message and pointing the user to the Refresh button below would be one of them. Maybe not the most elegant one. But it should do the trick. And it would probably take a few seconds to implement. :))

In the weekend i'll made some changes, but not heavy as I thought at the beginning. Thinking about it later, the problem can be reproduced in some situations (lost of internet connection, slow connection that brings to a time out etc..) and the refresh button is for this. I didn't think to let you press it immediately because I was deceived by the error received (see the next quote)

Because, to me, for example, it wasn't really obvious what was the problem. I mean, the theme looked "found" since it was displayed on the left, and the error ("theme not found") didn't make much sense in this context. It wasn't really obvious that I should try a refresh, since the list looked to be already refreshed and loading correctly.

the message given says almost the truth, but refear to the fact that doesn't found the theme's index file to download files (in fact the manager know that online, somewhere, the theme exist and let you to select it). Yes is missleading, I'll change it to be more specific.

So...one simple way would probably be to just add a message for the user saying something like: "Theme {name} not found. Try to refresh the list by pressing the Refresh button below."

Yep, the right one would be

"Theme index file for "{name}" not found or unreadable. Try to refresh the list by pressing the Refresh button below."

.... and developers will know immediately which part of the code is involved and users will be able to fix the situation :)

• Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, vector sigma said:

sure:

ffffff800046575e         cmp        bl, 0x3b

to 

ffffff800046575e         cmp        bl, 0x0

committed here

Hi @vector sigma looks like the 10.15.5 release update has changed since 10.15.5 Beta 2 when that patch was committed.

That patch does not work on Ivy Bridge anymore.

Any chance of doing your magic again :) ?

6 hours ago, MacNB said:

Hi @vector sigma looks like the 10.15.5 release update has changed since 10.15.5 Beta 2 when that patch was committed.

That patch does not work on Ivy Bridge anymore.

Any chance of doing your magic again :) ?

Upload, please, the kernel of question.

4 hours ago, MacNB said:

Kernel version 19F96

Released a couple of days ago.

476669607_Screenshot2020-05-28at10_34_20.png.941001a8005fc2973d0486accb2b6945.png

I have no Catalina so I can't check the patch having no such kernel.