Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,142 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

How did you get that version ?

Compiled yourself ? With brew ?

No, I was using MacPort. Qemu's libs are mostly in /opt/local/... but your libraries from qemu_portable are good enough.

Just now, Slice said:

No, I was using MacPort. Qemu's libs are mostly in /opt/local/... but your libraries from qemu_portable are good enough.

MacPort ? For an unknown reason, I thought brew took over and didn't use MacPorts in years.

I'll try.

I am making a script that can take an executable, copy it to a folder and copy all it's library dependency and adjust each library path. Because libs also have path to other libs, doing it manually can be super-annoying and time consuming.

But currently, my script only works if path to library are absolute. That's why I want to compile the same version as you and update the script.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:14 AM, Jief_Machak said:

==> Installing dependencies for qemu: libtool, ninja, meson, gettext, libffi, pcre, glib, autoconf, automake, gnu-sed, bdw-gc, libunistring, guile, libidn2, libtasn1, nettle, p11-kit, libevent, c-ares, jemalloc, libev, nghttp2, unbound, gnutls, jpeg, libpng, libssh, libusb, lzo, ncurses, pixman, snappy and vde

Will see if MacPort has more sensible dependency graph ! With brew, it took 2 hours to compile Qemu, bcause of all these dependencies.

New qemu version committed.

A script "copy_and_make_portable" is committed in the qemu folder. I can be used for anything. I used it for having gcc from brew also portable. And other thing I compiled with brew.

I probably should switch back to MacPorts ! Qemu compiled with MacPorts has only 12 dependent libs. With brew it's 24 ! Total is 15MB instead of 24MB. Not bad ;)

Interestingly enough, your qemu executable has a longer list of dependent list, including :

@executable_path/../libs/libintl.8.dylib

@executable_path/../libs/libpixman-1.0.dylib

The rest is in /opt/local/lib. The macos one are in /usr/lib or /System/Library but we don't need this ones.

When I installed with MacPorts, my executable has less dependent libs and none are in @executable_path/../libs/.

Just curiosity, I wonder what's the difference...

I'm looking at ParseLoadOptions(). It looks like there is the possibility to have a whole config.plist in efi load options.

I can't really imagine someone typing a Clover config.plist in its load options...

What was it for originally ? Does someone still use that ? Should we still support that ?

Same question about GetBootFromOption(). If load options start with a clover sign, load options will interpreted as default volume and default loader. I'm not even sure I can enter a clover sign in the load options.

What is it for ? Should we still support that ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

I'm looking at ParseLoadOptions(). It looks like there is the possibility to have a whole config.plist in efi load options.

I can't really imagine someone typing a Clover config.plist in its load options...

What was it for originally ? Does someone still use that ? Should we still support that ?

Same question about GetBootFromOption(). If load options start with a clover sign, load options will interpreted as default volume and default loader. I'm not even sure I can enter a clover sign in the load options.

What is it for ? Should we still support that ?

Originally it was UEFI BIOS boot option like boot0003 which contains file path to CloverX64.efi and some arbitrary bytes can be interpreted as a name of config.plist.

The idea was press F12 and select

1. Boot Clover with config1.plist

2. Boot Clover with config2.plist

and so on.

But nobody ever used this.

1 minute ago, Slice said:

Originally it was UEFI BIOS boot option like boot0003 which contains file patch to CloverX64.efi and some arbitrary bytes can be interpreted as a name of config.plist.

The idea was press F12 and select

1. Boot Clover with config1.plist

2. Boot Clover with config2.plist

and so on.

But nobody ever used this.

I understand selecting another config.plist could be interesting in some rare case (but now we can even duplicate the whole Clover folder if we want multiple configuration).

What about ParseLoadOptions() where it seems that we can put a while config.plist IN load options ? Or do I misread the code ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slice said:

Whole config.plist? It should be an error.

void
ParseLoadOptions (
                  OUT  XStringW* ConfNamePtr,
                  OUT  TagDict** Dict
                  )
{
  CHAR8 *End;
  CHAR8 *Start;
  UINTN TailSize;
  UINTN i;
  CONST CHAR8 *PlistStrings[]  =
  {
    "<?xml",
    "<!DOCTYPE plist",
    "<plist",
    "<dict>",
    "\0"
  };

UINTN PlistStringsLen;
  *Dict                  = NULL;

XStringW& ConfName = *ConfNamePtr;

Start = (CHAR8*)self.getSelfLoadedImage().LoadOptions;
  End   = (CHAR8*)((CHAR8*)self.getSelfLoadedImage().LoadOptions + self.getSelfLoadedImage().LoadOptionsSize);
  while ((Start < End) && ((*Start == ' ') || (*Start == '\\') || (*Start == '/')))
  {
    ++Start;
  }

TailSize = End - Start;
  //DBG("TailSize = %d\n", TailSize);

if ((TailSize) <= 0) {
    return;
  }

for (i = 0; PlistStrings[i][0] != '\0'; i++) {
    PlistStringsLen = AsciiStrLen(PlistStrings[i]);
    //DBG("PlistStrings[%d] = %s\n", i, PlistStrings[i]);
    if (PlistStringsLen < TailSize) {
      if (AsciiStriNCmp(PlistStrings[i], Start, PlistStringsLen)) {
        DBG(" - found plist string = %s, parse XML in LoadOptions\n", PlistStrings[i]);
        if (ParseXML(Start, Dict, TailSize) != EFI_SUCCESS) {
          *Dict = NULL;
          DBG("  - [!] xml in load options is bad\n");
          return;
        }
        return;
      }
    }
  }

while ((End > Start) && ((*End == ' ') || (*End == '\\') || (*End == '/'))) {
    --End;
  }

TailSize = End - Start;
  //  DBG("TailSize2 = %d\n", TailSize);

if (TailSize > 6) {
    if (AsciiStriNCmp(".plist", End - 6, 6)) {
      End      -= 6;
      TailSize -= 6;
      //      DBG("TailSize3 = %d\n", TailSize);
    }
  } else if (TailSize <= 0) {
    return;
  }

ConfName.strncpy(Start, TailSize + 1);
}

In this function, there is :

Start = (CHAR8*)self.getSelfLoadedImage().LoadOptions;

and then :

if (ParseXML(Start, Dict, TailSize) != EFI_SUCCESS) {

The dict generated is store in gConfigDict[1] by the caller (in main.cpp).

I imagine the purpose is NOT to put the whole thing, of course.

The caller check a tag "Unite". And if "Unite" is false, gConfigDict[0] is not read. So it looks like a way of replacing or uniting config.plist with an xml passed into load options ?

Could I simplify and drop that support ? (and re introduce something if a user is asking, one day).

Edited by Jief_Machak

7 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

Could I simplify and drop that support ? (and re introduce something if a user is asking, one day).

Yes, simply drop. I never understood the idea of this unite.

There are bad messages about Xcode12 compilation again. https://www.applelife.ru/threads/clover.42089/page-1378#post-936652

• Like 1

From what I see in the russian thread, Clover seems to work but macos kernel panic...

Hard to debug, but what I can do is going over ALL the objects in Clover and add a default ctor. I'll do that tmo.

Also, here is the very first compilation of Clover using the new XML parser CloverX64-2021-04-21-13-18-28-a1a27d2-dirty-jief.zip

As usual, there should be no difference for you (and that's exactly what I want to test). We already know that the new parser gives the same result... but who knows.

As usual, be sure to have a plan B in case this one doesn't boot.

PS : please don't ask why I spend so much time to do thing that make no difference for the user...

• Like 3

Hi @Jief_Machak

The compilation of Clover using new XML Parser 2021-04-21-13-18-28-a1a27d2-dirty-jief boot fine (Z390 config Big Sur 11.3 RC) :) I test the CLOVERX64 posted on AppleLife: boot fine too, the same config.

But I notice some problems with new XML Parser: in Clover GUI Options/SMBIOS, there are some difference between Clover and my Imac19,1 SMBIOS config.plist: BiosVersion, BiosRelease date, EFI version

No Problem with CloverX64TestNewParser version 13.:)

EDIT: Why this in debug.log : '\EFI\CLOVER__Test/smbios.plist' not loaded. Efi error Not Found :bye: don't exist before

Spoiler

WrongSMBIOSvalue.thumb.png.87e77a88aac72acce9b5de6a4b816fb8.png

2021-4-21_8-10_CloverX64-2021-04-21-13-18-28-a1a27d2-dirty-jief.efi.log 2021-4-21_11-11_CLOVERX64_AppleLife.efi.log

Résultat CLOVERX64TestNewParser.txt

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Yes yes, found it, thanks.

CloverX64-2021-04-21-15-59-08-a1a27d2-dirty-jief.zip 824.42 kB · 1 download

Could you try this efi and see it that fixed to ROM version (or BiosVersion) in config.plist.

The other are not fixed yet.

Hi @Jief_Machak I don't try this efi file. But in previous one, Clover search smbios.plist instead of config.plist. So this line in debug.log: '\EFI\CLOVER__Test/smbios.plist' not loaded. Efi error Not Found ^_^

Edited by Matgen84

48 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Yes yes, found it, thanks.

CloverX64-2021-04-21-15-59-08-a1a27d2-dirty-jief.zip 824.42 kB · 1 download

Could you try this efi and see it that fixed to ROM version (or BiosVersion) in config.plist.

The other are not fixed yet.

Hi again @Jief_Machak

ROM version fixed :D in Clover GUI only. Not in debug.log BIOSVersion=EFIversion ???

2021-4-21_11-39_CloverX64-2021-04-21-15-59-08-a1a27d2-dirty-jief.efi.log

18 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

BIOSVersion=EFIversion

When you setup a BiosVersion AND an EfiVersion in your config or smbios plist, EfiVersion will be sent to smbios. It always has been like this. I just recently make the message.

I'll have a look later...

Thanks for the tests.

• Like 2