Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,904 posts in this topic

For those who are reading the few last posts, I realise that I confused PluginType and TgtBridge. I don't know how, but @MacKonsti ask about PluginType and I answered about the TgtBridge bug.

Hence the confusion.

So let's restart fresh :

is there a bug about PluginType that needs to be fixed. Can some try to change this value and see if it has an effect ?

9 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

For those who are reading the few last posts, I realise that I confused PluginType and TgtBridge. I don't know how, but @MacKonsti ask about PluginType and I answered about the TgtBridge bug.

Hence the confusion.

So let's restart fresh :

is there a bug about PluginType that needs to be fixed. Can some try to change this value and see if it has an effect ?

what is the error? PluginType=Yes works. PluginType=No does not work. That's how it should be. Probably confusion due to the fact that not everything was removed from the config PluginType=1

Edited by Dmitriy85
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dmitriy85 said:

PluginType=1

Ok, yes, I've checked and I confirm that "SSDT/Generate/PluginType=1" doesn't work, indeed. I don't think it ever had but can't be sure. Because "1" is not "true", the resulting value is false ! 

Careful : don't confuse with "SSDT/PluginType" which represent the (integer) value of PluginType.

Validator can help : https://github.com/jief666/CloverCommits/blob/master/CloverConfigPlistValidator0.7

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Ok, yes, I've checked and I confirm that "SSDT/Generate/PluginType=1" doesn't work, indeed. I don't think it ever had but can't be sure. Because "1" is not "true", the resulting value is false ! 

Careful : don't confuse with "SSDT/PluginType" which represent the (integer) value of PluginType.

Validator can help : https://github.com/jief666/CloverCommits/blob/master/CloverConfigPlistValidator0.7

my config now looks like this

Spoiler

1716546156_2021-01-2916_04_12.png.a4746963d25465f7593d615bde06869b.png

6 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Hi all,

Just reading lasts posts and I have a question please. I understand that with last 5129 release is now possible to clean install and boot Big Sur with USB without selecting "via preboot" everytime. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

Even is the message is not "via preboot", Big Sur has (technically you can deactivate security feature, I heard, but not advisable) to be booted via preboot.

And Clover does nothing special about USB volume. At EFI time, volumes are just volumes whatever they technically are (USB, SATA, NVMe, etc...)

• Like 2

if you disable Preboot you'll lose OTA updates. 

Just create a custom entry for Big Sur if "Boot Mac OS X from <name> via Preboot" annoys you.

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/300#issuecomment-768300847

Make sure your kexts are in kexts/Other, if they're in kexts/11 they won't load: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/349

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kushwavez said:

if you disable Preboot you'll lose OTA updates. 

Just create a custom entry for Big Sur if "Boot Mac OS X from <name> via Preboot" annoys you.

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/300#issuecomment-768300847

Make sure your kexts are in kexts/Other, if they're in kexts/11 they won't load: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/349

@Jief_Machak @kushwavez thank for your replies.

My personal experience has been as follows:

if I try to clean install big sur not using via preboot, the installation will not be completed taking me to this error at the last phase: too many corpses being created.....

if I install using via preboot, I'm able to clean install Big Sur. Then, if I boot via preboot, everything works well, instead if I boot normally (not using via preboot) I have problems with the App Store being not able to download / install any app.

not a big problem to enable the via preboot volume to be shown at clover screen and boot the system from it everytime. Could it be possible to, for example, automatically selecting it as predefined boot volume avoiding the user to manually modify the config to show it etc?

I was just thinking that if a "normal user" does not know that is necessary to select the via preboot volume, it could be tricky to install big sur and boot it not having problems with the App Store and OTA updates for example.

thanks

You can specify config.plist/GUI/DefaultBootVolume and Timeout for automatic boot. Write "Preboot" to DefaultBootVolume if you have just one system with Preboot.

If you have more then put the UUID to DefaultBootVolume

EDIT: @Jief_Machak in my case the "main" partition is not automatically hidden. I have to Hide via config.plist/GUI/Hide

Edited by kushwavez

2 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

It’s supposed to be the case since few version. “Main” partition is automatically hidden and preboot is automatically shown

hi @Jief_Machak it has not been my case. I tried to install big sur several times since clover 5126 with every release not being able to do it. Maybe is a problem with my config? I always manually update clover copying and pasting the single files and keeping the config , DSDT and Kexts between the updates. Should I make a new config starting from the sample in 5129 release?

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

Hi all,

Just reading lasts posts and I have a question please. I understand that with last 5129 release is now possible to clean install and boot Big Sur with USB without selecting "via preboot" everytime. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

negative: BS install it, update it, start it only from preboot by apple setting/imposition

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

if I try to clean install big sur not using via preboot,

I'm sure to understand that. The installer I have is on a HFS partition = no preboot.

After I run the installer, Clover is supposed to show, by default, only the preboot boot.

So what do you mean exactly by clean install big sur not using via preboot ? How is that even possible ? Older version of Clover ?

1 hour ago, kushwavez said:

in my case the "main" partition is not automatically hidden. I have to Hide via config.plist/GUI/Hide

I'd like to understand that. Could you send me your config.plist and a preboot.log ?

8 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

I'm sure to understand that. The installer I have is on a HFS partition = no preboot.

After I run the installer, Clover is supposed to show, by default, only the preboot boot.

So what do you mean exactly by clean install big sur not using via preboot ? How is that even possible ? Older version of Clover ?

I'd like to understand that. Could you send me your config.plist and a preboot.log ?

@Jief_Machak let me explain:

1 - I have created Big Sur USB installer and used clover 5128 to boot it

2 - Once booted, I have selected to boot from usb and reached the installer screen, formatted the hard disk and started the installation

3 - When the installer automatically reboot the system to continue the installation, at the clover screen I had just the Data and my normal HD volumes (no preboot).

4 - If I continue the installation selecting the normal HD volume, it continue to install but at the next autmatic reboot, it blocks with the error: too many corpses being created..... (I can see it as I have always the verbose mode active)

5 - At the point 3, I had to press F3 to show the hidden volumes and select the preboot in order to be able to clean install Big Sur otherwise just the data and normal HD volumes would appear. That's why I was thinking that maybe is a problem related to my config as I always manually copy and paste the single files when I update clover.

Hope it helps and await for your comments.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

@Jief_Machak let me explain:

1 - I have created Big Sur USB installer and used clover 5128 to boot it

2 - Once booted, I have selected to boot from usb and reached the installer screen, formatted the hard disk and started the installation

3 - When the installer automatically reboot the system to continue the installation, at the clover screen I had just the Data and my normal HD volumes (no preboot).

4 - If I continue the installation selecting the normal HD volume, it continue to install but at the next autmatic reboot, it blocks with the error: too many corpses being created..... (I can see it as I have always the verbose mode active)

5 - At the point 3, I had to press F3 to show the hidden volumes and select the preboot in order to be able to clean install Big Sur otherwise just the data and normal HD volumes would appear. That's why I was thinking that maybe is a problem related to my config as I always manually copy and paste the single files when I update clover.

Hope it helps and await for your comments.

Step 3 is wrong. You must choose Preboot.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I always manually copy and paste the single files when I update clover.

In my whole life, I never used the clover installer package !

5 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

at the clover screen I had just the Data and my normal HD volumes (no preboot).

That is what is not ok and looks like a bug in my automatic hiding algorithm.

Problem is, to debug that, you would have to delete everything, complete the installer once, reboot Clover (so we are now at your step 3) and then generate the preboot.log

1 minute ago, Slice said:

Step 3 is wrong. You must choose Preboot.

Yes, I think he knows. The problem is why Clover is letting doing that.

6 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

In my whole life, I never used the clover installer package !

That is what is not ok and looks like a bug in my automatic hiding algorithm.

Problem is, to debug that, you would have to delete everything, complete the installer once, reboot Clover (so we are now at your step 3) and then generate the preboot.log

Yes, I think he knows. The problem is why Clover is letting doing that.

@Jief_Machak could it be a problem with my config? when I have updated from last clover without quirks to the first release that uses quirks, I have just manually added the quirks section to my config using the plist editor. the rest of the config is remained as before. Should I create a new config using the sample one that comes with clover 5129? I'm thinking that maybe this could be the problem that took me to the situation where I was not seeing the preboot volume in the clover screen and just the data and the normal HD ones.

7 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Pretty sure it's not. I did the same.

Use the validator to check your config.plist. The meaning of keys didn't change; that's why old config + quirks is ok.

@Jief_Machak this is the output of the validator:

Warning: Unknown key '/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:931'. Skipped.

Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:1144'. Skipped.

what should I change in the config to avoid these warnings?

2 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

You can just delete them. These are unknown keys ignore by Clover already.

@Jief_Machak ok. So I don't know why I wasn't able to see the preboot. To normally boot big sur, I have deleted the preboot from the hidden volumes using clover configurator. Now just the recovery one is hidden by default and at the startup in the clover screen I have 2 volumes: the preboot and the normal HD when, if I understand properly, I should have just the preboot one, right?

33 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I should have just the preboot one

Yes.

I'm trying to install in a virtual machine BS Beta10 (I'm downloading 11.1 currently). Install is on a virtual CD. At first reboot, I have

"Boot Mac OS X Install for [my volume name] via Preboot"

AND

"Boot Mac OS X Install for [my volume name]"

which seems wrong. I'll fix that later.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

Of course here you are:

Preboot:

Spoiler

screenshot2.thumb.png.fac8075f00dae813acafd09280fc56d8.png

screenshot3.thumb.png.9340bdc8b0c73eac2866cd1ce89d889a.png

"main" normal partition, should be hidden by default (but it's not):

Spoiler

screenshot0.thumb.png.0c4a5ede597404530408ceff6b818c32.png

screenshot1.thumb.png.7ecef263d8dad861f7c6f731e8a0df0e.png

I have to manually hide the normal partition by config.plist/GUI/Hide. I also created a custom entry for Big Sur:

Spoiler

106001253-050a3e00-60b0-11eb-866a-75eac0e653be.thumb.png.762dfa1e9771aff1c995e119d726867d.png

1104344671_Kpernyfot2021-01-29-14_49_09.thumb.png.ba2d622bc979129f7cc90ffb67475ce1.png

2021-1-29_13-45-17_CLOVERX64.efi.log

Edited by kushwavez

1 hour ago, Jief_Machak said:

Yes.

I'm trying to install in a virtual machine BS Beta10 (I'm downloading 11.1 currently). Install is on a virtual CD. At first reboot, I have

"Boot Mac OS X Install for [my volume name] via Preboot"

AND

"Boot Mac OS X Install for [my volume name]"

which seems wrong. I'll fix that later.

@Jief_Machak thank you very much. I'm happy to have helped you to solve this little issue :D

• Like 1