Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,904 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Slice said:

What is "actual" system params?  You may open About This Mac.app

Will do. It takes me longer than most to grasp technical concepts, but I'll figure this out. Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Will do. It takes me longer than most to grasp technical concepts, but I'll figure this out. Thanks for your help.

If you look into kernel sources 

https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-6153.141.1/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp.auto.html line:1373 and nexts

then you will find that kernel encodes system-id so UUID in About This Mac will differ from input.

There are two sources for UUID in Clover: SMBIOS or config.plist.

As well we can allow to encode the UUID or not.

What is the question?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Slice said:

... you will find that kernel encodes system-id so UUID in About This Mac will differ from input.

What is the question?

ah - that explains it.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

@Slice I'm trying to understand how "Generate C&P States" works on Clover. Is it possible to use a custom SSDT (maybe even after Clover has done its job) in order to be able to manually generate P&C states?

You may set Generate P & C states by Clover or you can set don't do this and use custom SSDT.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

I'm trying to understand how "Generate C&P States" works on Clover. Is it possible to use a custom SSDT (maybe even after Clover has done its job) in order to be able to manually generate P&C states?

Someone else can chime in if you have overclocking experience... @1Ale1 - Is your signature an accurate description of your system (Motherboard: ASUS Z370 Prime-A II, CPU : Intel i7 9700k liquid cooled @5.1GHz)?  If so, I assume you want a custom SSDT because you are overclocking?  If that's the case, I'm not certain of this, but I think you might want to search for variants of ssdtPRGen.sh that have been modified for Coffee Lake.  I don't know if CLOVER's "automatic" C and P states are what you're looking for.

EDIT: I have read posts by others that simply enabling SSDT PluginType in CLOVER's config.plist (without a custom SSDT and without CLOVER's Generate C and P states) does correctly detect all overclocked Turbo modes.  You may find after experimentation that you don't need to do any more than enable PluginType.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, Season Greetings!

Hi @Slice I have been talking to @tonyx86 about optimal Clover configurations and we have a question, please, as you know the code.

Do we need FSInject.efi anymore as a standard driver in latest r5xxx releases?

According to your post 8 years ago, the logic is still there but some systems boot Mojave and Catalina without FSInject. Is it because kernelcache changed somehow, in last macOS's?

Is now the functionality of FSInject.efi embedded in CLOVERX64.EFI binary?

Your insight would be much appreciated; perhaps it's only for older OS like Sierra or older?

Thank you!

10 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

EDIT: I have read posts by others that simply enabling SSDT PluginType in CLOVER's config.plist (without a custom SSDT and without CLOVER's Generate C and P states) does correctly detect all overclocked Turbo modes.  You may find after experimentation that you don't need to do any more than enable PluginType. 

Thanks to you and @Slicefor quick response, I have to update my signature since the 9700K is fine, with plugin-type=1 through ssdt...

My question was for another build, actually a very old legacy one with an i3 540, GT710 and H67 as a chipset (SMBIOS iMac11,2) everything works fine with the latest clover release, and actually I haven't tested what could happen without those 

So I wondered how those states got generated, and also ssdtprgen doesn't mention pre Sandy CPUs

Any ideas on how to generate or reverse engineer SSDT replacements (maybe from Clover's C&P generation results?) for this ancient but fully working i3 540 with 10.15.7 19H114?

I can provide logs, acpi, ioreg, bootlogs etc if required :D

3 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

My question was for another build, actually a very old legacy one with an i3 540, GT710 and H67 as a chipset (SMBIOS iMac11,2) everything works fine with the latest clover release, and actually I haven't tested what could happen without those 

i3-540 is Clarkdale which is a Westmere derivative.  I have a socket 1156 (H55) system that works great through Catalina 10.15.7.  I achieve native CPU power management (no CLOVER Generate C/P states or custom SSDT necessary) simply by using LPCB IOName "3b09" and SMBIOS MacPro5,1.  Even though Catalina doesn't "officially" support MacPro5,1, I use boot-arg -no_compat_check and Catalina still natively implements the correct CPU and USB power management for the MacPro5,1.  I haven't upgraded to Big Sur, so I can't comment on performance beyond Catalina.  You should find that with properly patched LPCB._DSM (DSDT patching), your rig will still operate with "native" CPU power management through Catalina 10.15.7.

The DSDT patching of LPCB._DSM is similar to what I do here for my Dell Latitude E6410 (running Catalina 10.15.7).  My Socket 1156 solution is in another forum.  Google "TH55HD Catalina" to find it.

Edited by tonyx86

On 12/18/2020 at 3:38 AM, tonyx86 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, if I specify only the following in my CLOVER config.plist, these are sufficient to uniquely identify my rig and the rest will be completed "on-the-fly" by CLOVER:

• RtVariables > MLB
  • SMBIOS > BoardSerialNumber
  • SMBIOS > SerialNumber
  • SMBIOS > SmUUID
  • SMBIOS > ProductName

Hi @tonyx86 has this been confirmed to work with r5xxx release you are using, as the absolute minimum information required for SMBIOS (and by removing/commenting out the others you mention) eventually? Does Clover successfully fill-in the missing data? (the one you use, I mean, r5122 or r5123-1) Thanks... I wish all that extremely useful knowledge would go into some Wiki for everyone (including Google search) to find...

Edited by MacKonsti

Thanks @1Ale1 and @tonyx86 I think I may need the parameter <key>Trust</key> too (and set to TRUE) to be kept in my config.plist.

Please remind me, what is the Terminal command parameters for ioreg to see that all is injected OK? I see some blanks in IORegistryExplorer.app... like "platform-feature" etc.

UPDATE: I found this command, would it be enough to check SMBIOS data?

ioreg -d2 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice

Thanks

Edited by MacKonsti

2 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Hi @tonyx86 has this been confirmed to work with r5xxx release you are using, as the absolute minimum information required for SMBIOS (and by removing/commenting out the others you mention) eventually? Does Clover successfully fill-in the missing data? (the one you use, I mean, r5122 or r5123-1) Thanks... I wish all that extremely useful knowledge would go into some Wiki for everyone (including Google search) to find...

I didn't test much after finding that my attempts to pare down my CLOVER parameters as I mentioned here resulted in iCloud/AppleID problems as I mentioned here.  It seems to me that if one were performing a clean install of a system for the first time, only the CLOVER parameters listed below would be necessary.  However, if one has already installed CLOVER using the "old" method of specifying everything and has already registered the system with their AppleID, I don't know what parameters can be safely eliminated from the config.plist without making the system look to Apple like a different system.  That is why I was trying to determine (with Hackintool) what parameters were changing as I changed my CLOVER config.plist.  CLOVER's redundant use of RtVariables > MLB and SMBIOS > BoardSerialNumber still confuse me, especially given that when both are specified, it appears that only RtVariables > MLB is reported by Hackintool as BoardSerialNumber.

Again, I believe you only need to specify the parameters below in your config.plist if configuring a new system for the first time (not previously registered with Apple).  I stopped trying to figure out how to pare down an existing config.plist after already registering the system with my AppleID.

• RtVariables > MLB
  • SMBIOS > SerialNumber
  • SMBIOS > SmUUID
  • SMBIOS > ProductName
Edited by tonyx86

Well, I've been trying to find in Terminal the parameters left out, they don't seem registered in IORegistry, e.g.

ioreg -l | grep -i bios | grep -i vendor
ioreg -l | grep -i bios | grep -i release
ioreg -l | grep -i board | grep -i manuf
ioreg -l | grep -i board | grep -i type
ioreg -l | grep -i chassis | grep -i type
ioreg -l | grep -i chassis | grep -i manuf

Perhaps these aren't the right key names, but you may be right @tonyx86 (even if I never got success with iMessage) I would prefer to use my fully-completed SMBIOS keys, already from ages ago.

But for an emergency USB booted or (re)installation on an another system (with macOS install USB) these minimal keys come in handy.

So for me, in an installed OS with everything working, I would use (and revert to) a fully-described SMBIOS in Config.plist.

Edited by MacKonsti

4 hours ago, Alpha999 said:

By the way, it seems that mifjpn's account was stolen. I managed to get it back, but I want everyone to be careful.
Thank you.

Sorry to hear that.  My account was stolen, too.  If I say anything stupid in this forum, it was posted by the person who stole my account.  If I say anything smart, it's me.  :)

@Matgen84 - this is a joke.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/23/2020 at 10:08 PM, Slice said:

It is for 10.7 and older systems which are able to load individual kexts instead of prelinkedkernel.

Hi, Slice:

In OpenCore I can fix IOHIDFamily at Big Sur without Find Data, but in Clover I got this error as attached picture:

How can I fix this error as Invalid Find/Replace Data in KextsToPatch or KernelToPatch ?

[Solved incompletely]

In Clover 5127 I need boot by -s then exit way to get USB keyboard/mouse working again which's not so convenient for routine use because it disabled all audio output.

Also I did not favor patcher from MacRumor which fix by hard coding method of system softwares.

[Solved]

In Clover 5127 need fill empty DATA with 000000000000 which fix this issue satisfactorily now !

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.31.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.32.13 AM.png

Edited by jsl2000

Set "Find" to any value but with the same length as "Replace". It is 6 bytes.

for example <112233445566>

And then set zero mask "MaskFind" = <000000000000>

It will mean the value of "Find" will be ignored.

Clover's patching ability beats OC patching ability.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, happy new year!

I am facing again build issues... @Jief_Machak had helped me successfully build on my Catalina (sans Xcode) by tweaking the makefile (I think) but when I tried today again, with or without XCODE8 parameter, it fails with error:

build.py...
~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Clover.dsc(294): error 000E: File/directory not found in workspace
	~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/OpenCorePkg/Platform/OpenCore/OpenCoreLib.inf

Here's the complete output on Terminal after doing:  git clean f -f -d -x

Spoiler

~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader % git clean f -f -d -x

~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader % ./buildme XCODE8

------------------------------------------------------------------------
buildme, Clover r5127 (SHA: f5ae33896)
TOOLCHAIN: XCODE8 (override example: './buildme XCODE8')

1) build Clover
 2) build Clover with HFSPlus
 3) make pkg
 4) make app
 5) make app (with Clover)
 6) make iso
 7) build all
 8) test build (no autogen, no boot files)
 9) status
10) update Clover
11) show diff
12) open CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER directory
13) update Clover (reset changes)
14) clean BaseTools
15) quit
Please enter your choice: 10

[UPDATE CLOVER]
Fetching origin
From https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader
 * branch                master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up to date.

1) build Clover
 3) make pkg
 4) make app
 6) make iso
 7) build all
 9) status
10) update Clover
11) show diff
14) clean BaseTools
15) quit
Please enter your choice: 13

Are you sure? (type y to confirm or any other to negate) y
[UPDATE RESET CLOVER]
Fetching origin
HEAD is now at f5ae33896 fix capitalization of SMC
From https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader
 * branch                master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up to date.

1) build Clover
 3) make pkg
 4) make app
 6) make iso
 7) build all
 9) status
10) update Clover
11) show diff
14) clean BaseTools
15) quit
Please enter your choice: 1

[CHECK XCODE]
WORKSPACE: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader
EDK_TOOLS_PATH: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/BaseTools
CONF_PATH: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf
Copying $EDK_TOOLS_PATH/Conf/build_rule.template
     to ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf/build_rule.txt
Copying $EDK_TOOLS_PATH/Conf/tools_def.template
     to ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf/tools_def.txt
Copying $EDK_TOOLS_PATH/Conf/target.template
     to ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf/target.txt
[BUILD CLOVER]
TOOLCHAIN_DIR: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/toolchain
MTOC_PREFIX: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/toolchain/bin/
NASM_PREFIX: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/toolchain/bin/
NASM_VER: 2.15.05
Initializing workspace
WORKSPACE: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader
EDK_TOOLS_PATH: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/BaseTools
CONF_PATH: ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf
Copying $EDK_TOOLS_PATH/Conf/build_rule.template
     to ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf/build_rule.txt
Copying $EDK_TOOLS_PATH/Conf/tools_def.template
     to ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf/tools_def.txt
Copying $EDK_TOOLS_PATH/Conf/target.template
     to ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf/target.txt

Running edk2 build for CloverX64 using the command:
build  -D DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED --conf=/Users/XXXX/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf -D USE_BIOS_BLOCKIO -D USE_LOW_EBDA -p Clover.dsc  -a X64 -b RELEASE -t XCODE8 -n 9 

Build environment: Darwin-19.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Build start time: 15:04:18, Jan.02 2021

WORKSPACE        = ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader
EDK_TOOLS_PATH   = ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/BaseTools
CONF_PATH        = ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Conf

Processing meta-data 
.Architecture(s)  = X64
Build target     = RELEASE
Toolchain        = XCODE8

Active Platform          = ~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Clover.dsc

build.py...
~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/Clover.dsc(294): error 000E: File/directory not found in workspace
	~/Desktop/CloverGIT/CloverBootloader/OpenCorePkg/Platform/OpenCore/OpenCoreLib.inf

- Failed -
Build end time: 15:04:19, Jan.02 2021
Build total time: 00:00:00

(for hiding my username, I replaced in the log above /Users/XXXX/ with ~/ just FYI)

Did anyone manage to fix this error, if encountered? Thanks!

UPDATE:

It seems that by deleting the whole folder and redownloading it all over again, provides a successful build; I only need to test the EFI binaries to confirm. But not sure if this means that any Git changes when obtained, will allow to successfully build new master commits... Perhaps I need to constantly deleting the main folder and re-downloading it? Not sure.

$ git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader.git
$ cd CloverBootloader
$ ./buildme XCODE8
Edited by MacKonsti

Hi Guys, im successful can install and run Clover 5127 with Big Sur with my Lenovo, so I have a question, if is possible rename entries in GUI like Preboot ? And its possible hide normal partition that not boot, and rename too  Windows partition EFI? (only appears EFI boot from EFI...)

Im try usually configurations but not sure if is possible rename Preboot (boot to Big Sur) on GUI in Clover Configurator. 

Edited by Max.1974

I don't know about Configurator but there are Custom entries that allow you to rename any entry you want.

The name of Windows entry depends on the entry.

If you want to start from /EFi/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFi then it is "EFI boot from EFI".

If you started from /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi then it is "Windows boot from EFI"

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

Hi Guys, im successful can install and run Clover 5127 with Big Sur with my Lenovo, so I have a question, if is possible rename entries in GUI like Preboot ? And its possible hide normal partition that not boot, and rename too  Windows partition EFI? (only appears EFI boot from EFI...)

Im try usually configurations but not sure if is possible rename Preboot (boot to Big Sur) on GUI in Clover Configurator. 

Here: 

After that:

screenshot0.thumb.png.da2c769351328045dd970e5134450f02.png

My question is how can I make Clover to boot this new entry automatically? What do I need to put to "DefaultBootVolume"? Now I can boot it automatically if I write "Preboot" to DefaultBootVolume, but then for example if I have 3 more Big Sur drive then obviously that won't work.

Can I put the ID (for ex. "7434A65C-9925-47BB-A6FE-95753DA18597") to the DefaultBootVolume?

EDIT: Yes, I can. After putting the UUID to DefaultBootVolume now it's automatically booting. Great!B)

Edited by kushwavez