Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,904 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Thanks @Slice ! Of course it will be endless as new macOS may show the need for new stuff to add, besides bugs found, reported and solved.

Just that the original r5123 had this bug where on my hack, device (H_EC) could not be renamed (if you remember) that was a regression of sorts and no one reported, a bug serious enough to make us look for a solution in a totally different direction as we wouldn't guess it immediately.

So if r5127 was tested enough and doesn't have unknown regressions, that is good news, thanks for your feedback, appreciate it.

Sorry I didn't remember if you ever reported this and I know you usually didn't provide any logs. But the renaming are working and this is my config.plist that works at this moment on my computer #1 booting to Mojave or BigSur with Clover 5127.

Снимок экрана 2020-12-12 в 11.58.38.png

• Like 1

Hi @Slice I may have not expanded on my point there, I meant "rename a device with TargetBridge set". I did create it of course officially: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/252

It was @Jief_Machak who confirmed this bug few pages ago and kindly provided a r5123-1 release (pre-OpenCore) for non-BigSur systems that wanna keep old-style.

It doesn't matter anyway, the community and yourself as top dev always read our comments/issues and assist. Thanks again, I managed last night to update to r5127 and used Quirks for my Comet Lake in config.plist by comparing line-by-line the ones suggested on Dortania guides.

Seems it booted without problems to my Catalina hack.

Please, a last piece of advice from you that I kindly request:

a) what do you call that "matrix-style" screen before OS booting step? The preboot screen? what is the name (after we select drive) please?

b) I see a couple of "EB:ERR" flash quickly... How to understand these, are they errors? Can you kindly point me to some guide/manual/thread? I've been searching for a week but without correct search keywords, can't find much.

Спасибо. Сезонное поздравление!

Edited by MacKonsti

a) This "matrix-style screen appeared because of OC integration. It means nothing and has no name. Close your eyes and count up to ten.

b) There are errors just like there is an error to install macOS on ordinary PC. Hackintosh is an error itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alpha999 said:

Hello everyone.
Searching the web doesn't hit many pages on how to migrate to an OpenCore integrated Clover

@Matgen84 's suggested thread here works well for me, too.

4 hours ago, Slice said:

b) There are errors just like there is an error to install macOS on ordinary PC. Hackintosh is an error itself.

There are errors installing Windows on an ordinary PC :)

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

i have clean installed Big Sur 11.0.1 successfully puting CsrActiveConfig =0x877

now i m able to boot preboot volume & Big Sur volume

but i couldn't hide preboot volume 

anyone guide me how to hide preboot volume from boot menu

Spoiler

image.png.595861f68d268982527865d31c628aa4.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b6b8cb2511d6642740808b058ed67d4a.png

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

@ameenjuz Don't hide Preboot volume because Clover boot Big Sur from Preboot by default. You can hide main partition instead.

The screenshot show Catalina preboot !

i know my dear i m able to boot big sur do not need i have two partitions installed big sur this is not catalina because i renamed one partition to named catalina just for remmember

i m able to boot from preboot and bigsur  just in case i want to hide preboot volumes

1 hour ago, JorgeMax said:

Where do I download this theme friend?

attached thems

clover-theme-oss.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Slice said:

a) This "matrix-style screen appeared because of OC integration. It means nothing and has no name. Close your eyes and count up to ten.

Thank you, I am just eager to understand. I don't do -v verbose usually, just created an "emergency" USB flash disk with r5127 and saw it. Just wondering what is called and what boot stage it represents...

1) OK please you are the only person who can confirm if r5127 now includes Quirk DisableRtcChecksum because in your older post you exclude it in some way, but I found an entry in the CLOVERX64.efi binary and in config sample of the release ZIP...

Do we include this quirk in the config.plist now?

2) Also, I am sorry to report that in my almost perfectly working Catalina on Intel NUC8, updating from r5123-1 to r5127 breaks wake-from-sleep really bad. With no other changes (except Quirks added in config.plist) the NUC upon wake shows the BIOS boot screen instead and goes to that error screen (Apple's forbidden logo with text) ; I don't see CMOS being reset, but have no idea how to fix it or where to start from. Deleting references to /Library/Preferences/com.apple.PowerMagement* doesn't solve it.

Any ideas if a Quirk might be responsible for sleep? Kexts, config remained the same to r5123-1.... Thanks

Update: Here is what I can provide by running the pmset command; could this be related to wrong quirks? Now under "Energy Saver" in System preferences I have less options to choose from (e.g. no Power Nap)

% pmset -g log | grep -i failure
2020-12-12 15:04:51 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000023 : Failure while halting boot CPU panic
2020-12-12 18:51:47 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000023 : Failure while halting boot CPU panic
2020-12-12 19:15:05 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs panic
2020-12-12 19:21:45 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs panic
2020-12-12 20:25:19 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs panic
2020-12-12 20:33:31 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000023 : Failure while halting boot CPU panic
2020-12-12 20:59:49 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000023 : Failure while halting boot CPU panic
2020-12-12 23:02:56 +0200 Failure             	Failure during wake: 0x00000023 : Failure while halting boot CPU panic

Edited by MacKonsti

@MacKonsti I admire your tenacity.  I'm still on r5122 / Catalina as my main rig's baseline. At the risk of angering everyone in this thread and appearing ignorant because I missed this in one of your previous posts, have you tried booting OC to confirm your Quirks?  It's the strategy that I've opted to employ. I prefer and am most comfortable with CLOVER and am currently running OC 0.6.3 in a test environment so I can learn the Quirks and possible other related settings.

What I've found with OC is that it is requiring me to understand more about my rig and its configuration than I needed to understand with CLOVER.  I think this is a good thing and definitely can't hurt.

EDIT: @MacKonsti This is some good reading.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Slice said:

As Alpha999 told the Clovers setting "AppleRTC" do the same as OC "DisableRtcChecksum".

Sorry that DisableRtcChecksum is still present in config-sample.plist. It will be excluded in next release.

Use AppleRTC

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies and ideas. I am sorry if my posts are sometimes longer but I tend to report here as I do in my professional work (IT) trying to be precise and verbose so I can help.

1. Thanks @Slice for confirming that DisableRtcChecksum is not part of Quirks and CLOVERX64.EFI won't take read/consider it. I did mention your older post where you point to AppleALC instead.

But inside CLOVERX64.EFI binary, I see text references that puzzled me, hence why I asked: "OCAK: Failed to apply patch com.apple.driver.AppleRTC DisableRtcChecksum" and "OCAK: Patch success com.apple.driver.AppleRTC DisableRtcChecksum"

That is why I was not sure if DisableRtcChecksum is an accepted parameter...

2. Thanks @Alpha999 and @tonyx86 but as I mentioned, my Quirks are based for Comet Lake and I boot just fine. I compared line-by-line the Quirks from Dortania AND those generated by OC-Gen-X application.

I am not using AppleALC (=false) nor DisableRtcChecksum (=false) at all.

But I have a obvious KP when I wake from sleep with Clover r5127 that I do not have with r5123-1 !

With the SAME exact SSDTs (AML) and Kexts loaded, same config.plist (including SMBIOS) I have different behaviour. I just added Quirks to replace AptioMemoryFix.efi...

I discovered that with Clover r5127 even "Energy Saver" now shows LESS parameters than r5123-1 without any config changes:

• Wake for Ethernet network access = missing (not enabled)
  • Start up automatically after power failure = missing (that I enable since years go)
  • Enable Power Nap = missing (not enabled)

Therefore my question is : What changed with r5127 and Quirks that is not the same behaviour as AptioMemoryFix.efi with r5123 with regards to sleep-wake Kernel Panics?

I did consider creating OpenCore bootable USB and see how it behaves but that means I will be migrating to OC if wake works, and was hoping to keep use Clover for some time...

Thanks, here's my CONFIG without S/N etc. thanks for having a look and see which Quirk may cause the wake KP and is related to sleep/wake...

Stay safe.

konsti-nuc8i7beh-config-r5127.plist

11 minutes ago, MacKonsti said:

I did consider creating OpenCore bootable USB and see how it behaves but that means I will be migrating to OC if wake works, and was hoping to keep use Clover for some time...

Migrate to OpenCore?  Blasphemy! ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2020 at 3:03 AM, Slice said:

Sorry that DisableRtcChecksum is still present in config-sample.plist. It will be excluded in next release.

Use AppleRTC

EDIT: I think I just answered my own question.  It's been a while since I manually patched ACPI (instead of using CLOVER's on-the-fly patches).  I think I remember that CLOVER's FixRTC patch also changes the RTC memory length to 0x02 which explains why the ACPI FixRTC patch address RTC corruption.  The alternative to changing RTC memory length to 0x02 would be to use RTCMemoryFixup.kext with a custom rtcfx-exclude region.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me think out loud.  :)

------------------------------------------

@Slice  - Thank you for this explanation.  I understand that CLOVER's AppleRTC kext patch addresses the RtcChecksum issue (by blocking regions 0x58-0x59).  Does CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch do anything other than address the IRQ conflict?  I have seen others report that they need CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch to resolve RTC corruption issues and I don't understand why that would be the case.  Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

@Slice  - Thank you for this explanation.  I understand that CLOVER's AppleRTC kext patch addresses the RtcChecksum issue (by blocking regions 0x58-0x59).  Does CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch do anything other than address the IRQ conflict?  I have seen others report that they need CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch to resolve RTC corruption issues and I don't understand why that would be the case.  Thank you.

FixRTC provides two patches, exclude IRQ and change length. Changing length leads to using one CMOS bank which leads to preventing corruption.

But in this case using RTC will be restricted. Acidanthera thinks that's bad idea. I don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Slice said:

Acidanthera thinks that's bad idea. I don't.

I remember adding my 2-cents to the CLOVER vs OC discussion not long ago.  CLOVER's (and Slice's) philosphical differences with OC are another reason why two bootloaders is still a good idea.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, tonyx86 said:

Migrate to OpenCore?  Blasphemy! ;)

Legacy boot of Clover 5126 or 5127 can not boot Big Sur in my FX-6300, P6TSE, P5Q PRO, or GA 775 hackintoshs yet because these have no UEFI. Put OpenRuntime.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/BIOS not working !

But legacy boot with OpenCore worked in these hackintoshs from 10.13.6 to 11.1 smoothly.

Is there anyone who can confirm this issue or provide solution to fix it ?

1 hour ago, jsl2000 said:

Legacy boot of Clover 5126 or 5127 can not boot Big Sur in my FX-6300, P6TSE, P5Q PRO, or GA 775 hackintoshs yet because these have no UEFI. Put OpenRuntime.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/BIOS not working !

But legacy boot with OpenCore worked in these hackintoshs from 10.13.6 to 11.1 smoothly.

I tested legacy boot a week ago with Clover 5127. BigSur 11.1 works.

OpenRuntime is not needed. But you have to replace ApfsDriverLoader to simple apfs.efi.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2020 at 1:06 AM, iCanaro said:

use XCODE 12.2

terminal

cd cloverbootloader

git -f -f -d -x

select 10 enter

./buildme XCODE8

I’ve tried that but I get unknown option git -f

Edited by SavageAUS

5 hours ago, Slice said:

I tested legacy boot a week ago with Clover 5127. BigSur 11.1 works.

OpenRuntime is not needed. But you have to replace ApfsDriverLoader to simple apfs.efi.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

It can boot installed Big Sur now, but I need add 10.13.6 to MatchOS for kernel patch at 11.x.

At 10.15.7 crack sound quite bothered me by legacy Clover in FX-6300 hackintosh.

Another bug is quite unstable at Big Sur in which about 2 minutes after login desktop I always got frozen screen and not moving mouse & keyboard.

No such issue legacy booted by OpenCore with clear sound in FX-6300 hackintosh.

Edited by jsl2000

@Slice i have compilation errors in both hacks where i tried

i try to update xcode by installing version 12.3

Spoiler

/Users/utente/src/clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/plist/plist.cpp:859:5: error: no matching function for call to 'CopyMem'

CopyMem(Data, Prop->getData()->dataValue(), Size);

^~~~~~~

/Users/utente/src/clover/MdePkg/Include/Library/BaseMemoryLib.h:35:1: note: candidate function not viable: no known conversion from 'INTN' (aka 'long long') to 'void *' for 1st argument; take the address of the argument with &

CopyMem(

^

1 error generated.

make: *** [/Users/utente/src/clover/Build/Clover/RELEASE_XCODE8/X64/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/OUTPUT/Platform/plist/plist.obj] Error 1

build.py...

: error 7000: Failed to execute command

make tbuild [/Users/utente/src/clover/Build/Clover/RELEASE_XCODE8/X64/rEFIt_UEFI/refit]

build.py...

: error F002: Failed to build module

/Users/utente/src/clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit.inf [X64, XCODE8, RELEASE]

- Failed -

Build end time: 11:00:33, Dec.15 2020

Build total time: 00:00:28

utente@iMacTRyZo clover % 

Edited by iCanaro
  • Sad 1

Hi @Slice

Sorry for my stupid question: I don't understand latest commit d68d53a: some posts ago, it was about the possibility of using <data> instead of <string> for the CsrActiveConfig. This is the purpose of this commit !

But there is an <interger> in the title of the commit, which means that I no longer know. Can you enlighten me, Please.

613157768_Capturedcran2020-12-1511_17_05.png.9dd013360b56c28db7d08c62d1ef47e7.png

1 hour ago, iCanaro said:

@Slice i have compilation errors in both hacks where i tried

i try to update xcode by installing version 12.3

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, I expected this post. Will be corrected asap.

58 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @Slice

Sorry for my stupid question: I don't understand latest commit d68d53a: some posts ago, it was about the possibility of using <data> instead of <string> for the CsrActiveConfig. This is the purpose of this commit !

But there is an <interger> in the title of the commit, which means that I no longer know. Can you enlighten me, Please.

613157768_Capturedcran2020-12-1511_17_05.png.9dd013360b56c28db7d08c62d1ef47e7.png

My mistake. The <data> was not possible for CsrActiveConfig. There must be <integer> for decimal value or <string> for hexadecimal.

This commit I added the possibility to use <data> up to 8 digits.

But there is a little mistake, it must be

CopyMem(&Data....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jsl2000 said:

Are you talking about being able to boot BS already install or boot a USB key from Big Sur? I ask because on my DELL Optiplex 790 legacy boot I cannot install BS with OC or Clover but if the system is already installs it boots very well . It boot well on USB installer but it reboot at the second stage on the Time line :ninja:

Do you please share both OC and Clover EFI Folder of  P5Q PRO

thanks

Edited by chris1111

22 minutes ago, Slice said:

Yes, I expected this post. Will be corrected asap.

My mistake. The <data> was not possible for CsrActiveConfig. There must be <integer> for decimal value or <string> for hexadecimal.

This commit I added the possibility to use <data> up to 8 digits.

But there is a little mistake, it must be

CopyMem(&Data....

Thanks @Slice. If I understand well: there are now 3 possibilities for CsrActiveConfig:

• <string>
  • <data>
  • <integer>

That's right. Sorry but my english is bad

Edited by Matgen84
  • Thanks 1