Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,127 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, corint1 said:

maybe I ask a stupid question or it has been discussed before but I can't find anything ... how do I make the recovery partition visible in clover? with F3 it doesn't show me this partition ...

Hi

Which macOS, which version of Clover? This information is needed to help you.

2 minutes ago, corint1 said:

Mac os Big Sur and last clover build 5127 ... 

Strange ! Which Big Sur Release 11.0.1 or 11.1 Beta 2 ?

Check via Terminal if you have a valid Recovery Partition. Anyway, Clover can't boot yet into Big Sur recovery partition.

51 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Strange ! Which Big Sur Release 11.0.1 or 11.1 Beta 2 ?

Check via Terminal if you have a valid Recovery Partition. Anyway, Clover can't boot yet into Big Sur recovery partition.

1:                APFS Volume ⁨BigSur - Data⁩           11.3 GB    disk4s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 355.1 MB   disk4s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                612.6 MB   disk4s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk4s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨BigSur⁩                  15.1 GB    disk4s5

4 hours ago, corint1 said:

1:                APFS Volume ⁨BigSur - Data⁩           11.3 GB    disk4s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 355.1 MB   disk4s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                612.6 MB   disk4s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk4s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨BigSur⁩                  15.1 GB    disk4s5

@corint1 I just compiled r5127 the last commit 4af8a02: the recovery partition is displayed as since the commits of November 28. On the other hand, I hid the main partition to leave only the preboot. See the screenshot (the BS icon on the left is the USB key, beside Recovery there is BigSur's Preboot icon).

Do not put your Recovery partition into Hidden section of your config.plist, for the time being. It's just my opinion.

Spoiler

screenshot0.thumb.png.ef128cfd6fc52ec201c0bdcc4bcccaad.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, devild said:

Is it possible to force to load the Big Sur installer with the Light theme, not the Dark?

I'm using the 'mlcamp' theme for Clover.

01.png

Just my opinion: you can force "Light" only for Embedded Clover's Theme, not for your custom theme "mlcamp" :) I think.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@corint1 I just compiled r5127 the last commit 4af8a02: the recovery partition is displayed as since the commits of November 28. On the other hand, I hid the main partition to leave only the preboot. See the screenshot (the BS icon on the left is the USB key, beside Recovery there is BigSur's Preboot icon).

Do not put your Recovery partition into Hidden section of your config.plist, for the time being. It's just my opinion.

can you share this last commit ? I have some errors when compile ...thank you 

2 minutes ago, corint1 said:

sorry, but is same ...only preboot and data partitions are showing ... 

Clover don't boot Big Sur data partition :) because this bootloader detects only bootable partition :hysterical: I don't think data partition, is bootable.

Upload your EFI Folder, please.

11 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Clover don't boot Big Sur data partition :) because this bootloader detects only bootable partition :hysterical: I don't think data partition, is bootable.

Upload your EFI Folder, please.

I have no problem with the two partitions, date or preboot ... the recovery partition is not displayed ... with this I have the problem

here my EFI folder ... https://mab.to/Ayo44id2c

image.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, corint1 said:

I have no problem with the two partitions, date or preboot ... the recovery partition is not displayed ... with this I have the problem

here my EFI folder ... https://mab.to/Ayo44id2c

image.png

Update yours kexts to the latest Release. Disable all DSDT patches in your config.plist.

Modify to the new standard config.plist (sample.plist):

Warning: Unknown key '/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:316'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/PanicNoKextDump:386'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/LapicKernelPanic:388'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:414'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/AppleXcpmCfgLock:428'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/CustomSMBIOSGuid:436'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/AppleCpuPmCfgLock:450'. Skipped.

Update BOOTX64.efi by renaming a copy of latest CLOVERX64.efi

After, I do not know what to do.

Maybe a debug.log and a screenshot, if the problem persists others can help. I think you have to check your config.plist closely. A topic has been created on the forum.

Edited by Matgen84

40 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Update yours kexts to the latest Release. Disable all DSDT patches in your config.plist.

Modify to the new standard config.plist (sample.plist):

Warning: Unknown key '/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:316'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/PanicNoKextDump:386'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/LapicKernelPanic:388'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:414'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/AppleXcpmCfgLock:428'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/CustomSMBIOSGuid:436'. Skipped.
Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/AppleCpuPmCfgLock:450'. Skipped.

Update BOOTX64.efi by renaming a copy of latest CLOVERX64.efi

After, I do not know what to do.

Maybe a debug.log and a screenshot, if the problem persists others can help. I think you have to check your config.plist closely. A topic has been created on the forum.

it's not a problem of config.plist or kexts ... these will load after selecting the partition ... or I don't see the recovery partition ... which is at least one step before reading config or loading kexts

edit:

trying the one you suggested to me, it doesn't even boot anymore ... the elimination of the one you proposed leads to KP of all beauty ...

Edited by corint1

remove HFSPlus.efi and place VboxHfs.efi in its place
in the config GUI Hide delete preboot 
in my opinion however you have configuration still to be developed, without any DSDT, just the SSDTs

https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/ssdt-methods/ssdt-prebuilt.html#desktop-coffee-lake

even when you see the recovery partition clover currently fails to start it

the version of clover that I downloaded, as well as renaming it to CLOVERx64.efi you have to duplicate it and rename it to BOOTX64.efi and put it in the BOOT folder

system all the errors matgen84 reported to you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpha999 said:

Hello corint1

Based on the EFI folder you sent, I put in the latest commit for Clover 5127.
Then, I added an aml file that should be included in Coffee lake to acpi / patched and added it. (According to Dortania)
Kext has been updated as much as possible.

My computer is also Coffeelake and the chipset is 300 series, so I replaced the my SMBIOS  and booted. There, Big Sur, Catalina was able to boot.

First, the Recovery entry was displayed, as you can see in the screenshot on misc folder. (I commented out GUI-HIDE and displayed it all)
The following is the fixed folder.

corint1.EFI.2012101004.zip

(SMBIOS has been restored to yours.)

I am on behalf of Mifjpn. Thank you for using his Minimalism 2-2.
By the way, he issued Minmalism3-1, so I replaced it.

Just include USBInjectAll.kext and there is no 15 port limit or patch to remove the port limit. How did you use USB? I'm wondering.

Also, USBInjectAll was included, but I think it is more convenient to make a USBPort.kext I recommend making it.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

thanks ... indeed with the folder you sent, the recovery partition appears, but it can't boot from it ... the changes you made did neither good nor bad, in the sense that I didn't notice anything new ... maybe fewer ACPI errors at boot ... the limit of the usb ports is not a priority for me ... it works with more than 15 ... and the cosmeica doesn't bring anything improved ...

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, Matgen84 said:

I just compiled r5127 the last commit 4af8a02: the recovery partition is displayed as since the commits of November 28. On the other hand, I hid the main partition to leave only the preboot. See the screenshot (the BS icon on the left is the USB key, beside Recovery there is BigSur's Preboot icon).

Hi @Jief_Machak and @Slice and any other major contributor to Clover that I may forget.

For us end-users that rely on Git releases (pre-compiled) as we may not have the means/time/knowledge to keep building Clover continuously like some courageous people here (like @iCanaro et al).

Can I consider r5127 as not really ready for prime-time or stable?

I want to update my Catalina booter from r5123-1 to r5127 and I am hesitant with all the things I read and possibly (not) understand (yet).

Perhaps in the next days I will use a second spare drive to install Big Sur and see how it boots etc.

So in your view, do we need to better expect a r5128 release that will be more polished and without (major or not) well known bugs?

Just to understand and appreciate the release cycles.

Thanks again for your commitment and contributions! Warm regards.

Edited by MacKonsti
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

to call myself courageous is a little exaggerated; perhaps many do not realize the powerful means that Jief has provided us with, namely BootLoderChooser (BLC) through which you can use 2 CONFIGURATIONS of CLOVER in the same EFI, (CLOVER + CLOVERTEST) and also have bootable, also in the same EFI, OpenCore.
What this translates, that you can start normally with the Clover stable and have another one for testing and development, without using pendrive and wasting time.

• Like 5

@MacKonsti If you have some difficulty to convert old Clover to new Clover config.plist. It is necessary to use r5127+

Please take a look to this topic:

You can also use BootLoader Chooser as @iCanaro says (only if you compile Clover yourself or want testing a new release). 

The Clover r5127 can boot Big Sur, like a charm except that Recovery partition is detected but not bootable yet from GUI. If I remember well : @iCanaro has an Z97+4790k Hack. If you have some problems to convert your config.plist... :)

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 3

Thanks guys both of you @iCanaro and @matgen84 (merci) my question was more about the release and pre-compiled builds found on Git that are available to download.

As there's a lot of discussions here and obviously open issues, I was wondering if r5127 is ready for real wider use or if there's still work needed, as it was released not far after r5126.

Just to be sure if it's work investing time trying out r5127 or rather wait for possibly r5128 before Christmas time...

I mean, just to know about how confident the lead developers are about r5127 features and stability. I do not have time, unfortunately, to test and build releases, at this moment.
Thanks again, everyone.

• Like 2

Thanks @Slice ! Of course it will be endless as new macOS may show the need for new stuff to add, besides bugs found, reported and solved.

Just that the original r5123 had this bug where on my hack, device (H_EC) could not be renamed (if you remember) that was a regression of sorts and no one reported, a bug serious enough to make us look for a solution in a totally different direction as we wouldn't guess it immediately.

So if r5127 was tested enough and doesn't have unknown regressions, that is good news, thanks for your feedback, appreciate it.