Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,127 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @Slice  @Jief_Machak

On Big Sur 11.1 Beta 1, I try to update to Clover r5127 - commit 349e56a: my HDD name Big Sur is displayed twice in the windows target ! I don't know what is it. Can you tell me why, please.

Hide contents

1301158433_Capturedcran2020-12-0408_56_24.png.f3a8169812cfd01e79eeef76b87da239.png.f24ab75963acec724edcf8917664a144.png

EDIT: I can boot r5127 commit 349e56 from USB pendrive. After copy/paste EFI Folder (from USB to my HDD in EFI), can't boot from my Z390 HDD :cry: stuck at Clover GUI !

Do you have 2 drives? The capacity is not equal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I can boot r5127 commit 349e56 from USB pendrive. After copy/paste EFI Folder (from USB to my HDD in EFI), can't boot from my Z390 HDD :cry: stuck at Clover GUI !

I use this release of Clover on all hacks and I updated bigbugs on the Z68, Z97, Z370 and X570 without any particular difficulty. As a theme I use OCintegration and Neon

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

I think probably you have a snapshot of BigSur drive?

@chris1111 Yes, , I have. How to know which is the correct one to update clover because the name is the same? And above all why, Clover detects it as an installable disk? Clover should not be able to offer to install over a snapshot.

My main problem is: I can boot BS 11.1 Beta from Clover r5127 - commit 349e56a with USB pen drive, not with HDD :cry:

7 minutes ago, naiclub said:

Do you have 2 drives? The capacity is not equal.

I have : Big Sur 11.1 Beta 1 on a drive (1To)  and Windows 10 on a another drive (2To).

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

I use this release of Clover on all hacks and I updated bigbugs on the Z68, Z97, Z370 and X570 without any particular difficulty. As a theme I use OCintegration and Neon

Hi @iCanaro
I turned off the hack to go shopping for food. On the way back I turned it on again: miracle, I can boot BS 11.1 Beta 1 from Clover r5127 - commit 349e56a. It's very strange !

I checked my config.plist which worked fine before. The only thing I haven't done is update the BIOS release F11L to the latest Beta F11m ...

Any ideas, please ?

mmmm might be an idea to say that Clover was hungry and on his return with groceries he was happy and started working again??? :hysterical:
or maybe since the Z390s have capricious NVRAM, it's now back to work.

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

mmmm might be an idea to say that Clover was hungry and on his return with groceries he was happy and started working again??? :hysterical:
or maybe since the Z390s have capricious NVRAM, it's now back to work.

Grazie @iCanaro I think too the Z390 have capricious NVRAM. My mobo was more stable before with the old clover, and reddestDream's OcQuirks.efi

Question: how to have a stable Z390 with Clover ? :yes:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Grazie @iCanaro I think too the Z390 have capricious NVRAM. My mobo was more stable before with the old clover, and reddestDream's OcQuirks.efi

apart from these snags in the GUI at boot, or that can be had when running several tests with beta versions; then you have instability in the daily use of macOS on the Z390?

1 minute ago, iCanaro said:

apart from these snags in the GUI at boot, or that can be had when running several tests with beta versions; then you have instability in the daily use of macOS on the Z390?

I don't daily use Big Sur 11.1 Beta, but once I'm on BS the system seems stable. No random reboots, no screen freezes or whatever.

38 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Same as with OC: we have to use SSDT-PMC

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/AcpiSamples/SSDT-PMC.dsl

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slice said:

Agree. My Z390 works better with SSDT-PMC than Emuvariable. I said better coz i randomly experiencing bad shutdown with Emu.

BTW @Slice

Do you know what is minimum requirement for SSDT-PMC as far as cpu/board is concern?

Edited by ellaosx

4 minutes ago, Slice said:

I don't know what else. ProvideConsoleGop=YES.

All as usual.

ProvideConsoleGop is activated

3 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

Agree. My Z390 works better with SSDT-PMC than Emuvariable. I said better coz i randomly experiencing bad shutdown with Emu.

Agree too. The Z390 need SSDT-PMC

I hope this temporary solution works for a long time: maybe the ESP/EFI is corrupted, so I format via Terminal. Copy/Past the EFI Folder from USB. My Z390 can boot from the HDD. Wait and see the next time, I update Clover.... for my poor NVRAM.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

BTW @Slice

Do you know what is minimum requirement for SSDT-PMC as far as cpu/board is concern?

AFAIK only Z390.

• Like 1

The ACPI in newer Macs (I've checked iMacPro1,1, iMac18,3, iMac19,1 and MacMini8,1) disables HPET (see here).  Should CLOVER have a "Disable HPET" option in the same way that it has a "Fix HPET" option?

Edited by tonyx86

I stumble upon this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sd8A6_fYU I found very interesting. The guy explain why C++ is a right choice, even for small/embedded non-OS project (Clover is not small, UEFI could be considered as an OS, but that's not the point).

What's very interesting is why C programmer (no, no, I'm not thinking about the OpenCore team) are very reluctant to argument in favour of C++, even that one : C++ does everything (yes, literally everything) that C does and at least as efficient.

Thanks again @Slice not having been reluctant !

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

The ACPI in newer Macs (I've checked iMacPro1,1, iMac18,3, iMac19,1 and MacMini8,1) disables HPET (see here).  Should CLOVER have a "Disable HPET" option in the same way that it has a "Fix HPET" option?

No. It is hardware property. In the sense of macOS HPET needed for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext if used.

It is not used on Ivy if xcpm used and all next CPUs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slice said:

No. It is hardware property. In the sense of macOS HPET needed for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext if used.

It is not used on Ivy if xcpm used and all next CPUs.

Ok - good to know.  That means we shouldn't be "Fixing HPET" and forcing it to be enabled on newer architectures.  I never knew that.  Thanks for clarifying.

FYI - not sure this matters, but if I don't actively disable HPET in my HackMini8,1 ACPI (analogous to Apple disabling HPET in the real Mac ACPI), HPET is enabled on my HackMini8,1.  There is no HPET config in my hack's BIOS.  The only way I see to disable HPET on my rig is with patched ACPI.  Also note that Apple's real Mac ACPI enables HPET for other OSes.

EDIT: for those who will quibble with my symantics, I understand that I am confusing "disable" with "delete" and "hide."

Edited by tonyx86

5 minutes ago, Slice said:

I have HPET on my Skylake computer.

Yes - I know.  It will be present if your ACPI is not patched.  It will also be present if you enable CLOVER's "FixHPET."

Edited by tonyx86

14 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

Yes - I know.  It will be present if your ACPI is not patched.  It will also be present if you enable CLOVER's "FixHPET."

And why do you want to delete it?

21 hours ago, Slice said:

And why do you want to delete it?

To emulate the behavior of a real Mac.  I've usually found that emulating a real Mac is the best way to ensure optimal performance of a hack.  My suggestion to add a CLOVER option "DeleteHPET" was only to emulate a real Mac.  I didn't think it was unlike many other CLOVER options.

@Slice I don't want to beat a dead horse and will just finish my thoughts: I have confirmed that new Macs, as early as Skylake architecture and maybe earlier (haven't checked) include ACPI to set HPET._STA=0 when running macOS and that HPET does not appear in the IORegistry of these newer Macs.  My suggestion was merely to add a CLOVER option "DeleteHPET" so that we can mimic the ACPI of real Macs in our hacks.  It's simple enough to do with custom SSDT as I have done here (just like with virtually all of the CLOVER ACPI patching options).  I just thought that a CLOVER option would be nice.  Thank for listening and thanks for all the great work that you do for the hacking community!

Edited by tonyx86

HP DV6 2140ef

intel i5 M430
Nvidia GeForce GT 320M (only graphics on this laptop)
atheros ar9285
IDT 92HD75BX (AppleHDA made by @Mirone)
CLOVER r5127 with Quirks

- I was having trouble updating the Clover since r5116 because if you update and use the config.plist of the higher versions, you enter the system but have a dark screen !!! if you use the r5116 version config.plist you could use up to r5119 and it worked ... but I wanted to pass the new version and I had this problem

- so yesterday with @Chris1111 to whom I say THANK YOU he had activated with the GT210 and I asked to be able to check his EFI and found my error!

* I even the version that works and even with the steps I indicated before I did NOT use Quirks as everyone knows it did not yet exist in Clover inside the BIOS folder because my bios does NOT support UEFI!

- so I used OpenRuntime.efi that was in the UEFI folder and tried to activate it there I already had a signal after doing NVRAM RESET several times (because HP are quite boring to download) I managed to get to the system with 100% full QE / CI

- I took advantage and upgraded from Catalina 10.15.5 to 10.15.7 and activated it using the ke11 (PKG Video Legacy) version of Chris1111 which I have been using for a long time due to the ease of complete installation!

- I had already apprehended this problem to Jieff, where I now thank him also for everything he has done without forgetting all the others who work together to make all this possible

- I leave here some prints to be able to admire this already very old laptop but it is still possible to do a little things and even watch videos in 1080p that he manages perfectly!

Google traductor!

Spoiler

105314367_Capturedecran2020-12-04a23_59_42.thumb.png.8e26b60aee1b97e405f99e3e6f7310c3.png427677739_Capturedecran2020-12-04a23_59_16.thumb.png.d49af1fe7fd34d10d281f9c8a9b62dbe.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PG7 said:

HP DV6 2140ef

intel i5 M430
Nvidia GeForce GT 320M (only graphics on this laptop)
atheros ar9285
IDT 92HD75BX (AppleHDA made by @Mirone)
CLOVER r5127 with Quirks

- I was having trouble updating the Clover since r5116 because if you update and use the config.plist of the higher versions, you enter the system but have a dark screen !!! if you use the r5116 version config.plist you could use up to r5119 and it worked ... but I wanted to pass the new version and I had this problem

- so yesterday with @Chris1111 to whom I say THANK YOU he had activated with the GT210 and I asked to be able to check his EFI and found my error!

* I even the version that works and even with the steps I indicated before I did NOT use Quirks as everyone knows it did not yet exist in Clover inside the BIOS folder because my bios does NOT support UEFI!

- so I used OpenRuntime.efi that was in the UEFI folder and tried to activate it there I already had a signal after doing NVRAM RESET several times (because HP are quite boring to download) I managed to get to the system with 100% full QE / CI

- I took advantage and upgraded from Catalina 10.15.5 to 10.15.7 and activated it using the ke11 (PKG Video Legacy) version of Chris1111 which I have been using for a long time due to the ease of complete installation!

- I had already apprehended this problem to Jieff, where I now thank him also for everything he has done without forgetting all the others who work together to make all this possible

- I leave here some prints to be able to admire this already very old laptop but it is still possible to do a little things and even watch videos in 1080p that he manages perfectly!

Google traductor!

Hide contents

105314367_Capturedecran2020-12-04a23_59_42.thumb.png.8e26b60aee1b97e405f99e3e6f7310c3.png427677739_Capturedecran2020-12-04a23_59_16.thumb.png.d49af1fe7fd34d10d281f9c8a9b62dbe.png

Great to ear that :thumbsup_anim: Old laptop not dead with Powerfull Clover OC Integration ;)

• Like 2