Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,135 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

@PG7 @MICKHAEL and other who did the same : fixing kext loading problem by putting some kext in plugins directory of other kext must be a temporary solution. We can fix that in Clover, I'm sure, even if we hard code for the time being.

Please, do not share over the internet your modified kext, because if you do, we'll start to have problem with people getting kexts without knowing there is unrelated plugins. So again do not share zip of these kext. Instead, let's fix that. The problem is that I asked more than one time to send us the needed order and I got response like "I put them in plugins so that's fine".

Sorry to be ranting here, but NO, that's not fine as a solution. It's fine as a workaround. Please, people who got this problem : open an issue on github, let's fix this and go back to original version of your kexts.

Why am I saying this : Do you realize how much time is taken by trying to help people ? All this time is less development time. And if we start having kext with random plugins inside, I'll have a lot of people sending me their debug.log... So please...

Agreed, a proper solution should be preferred. I just use the PlugIns workaround because I don't have another solution. 

How do you feel about the OC solution of writing the order of kext loading in the config.plist? Since this is likely to remain constant, or at least does not change very often, it is no big deal if we need to manually specify the order, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

HI ALL @

The one I just created really looks like a native Apple folder; I could easily make it part of the Clover Backup folder; what do you think do you agree? Are there any disagreements :angel:

I would like to have everyone's opinion thank you

1493550275_Capturedcranle2020-11-2616_22_19.png.cf5cec08adfd36d5f3486275ba4e98d4.png

• Like 3

On 11/27/2020 at 12:35 AM, chris1111 said:

HI ALL @

The one I just created really looks like a native Apple folder; I could easily make it part of the Clover Backup folder; what do you think do you agree? Are there any disagreements :angel:

Spoiler

1493550275_Capturedcranle2020-11-2616_22_19.png.cf5cec08adfd36d5f3486275ba4e98d4.png

Chris

on my part feel free, I think a great idea approved on my part

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, prcmelo said:

If I can contribute I would like to send my idea using a folder from Big Sur as a base.

If somebody like my idea I can send it, just let me know how :unsure:

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.17.44 PM.png

The blue is identical as mine

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Matgen84 said:

Since BS 11.0.1 Release and BS Beta 11.1, the Clover GUI don't show correct icons: os_mac instead of os_bigsur   

I committed the fix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, chris1111 said:

@chris1111 @prcmelo

You still have to work on this one for a little bit.

The icon is off center (should be more on the left) and should be scaled down a little bit.

It’s too dark as well, so desaturating it in order to match the other icons would be a good measure.

Prcmelo‘s solution below pretty much nails all of this this plus its done technically well.

So I'm voting for his solution at this point.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.17.44 PM.png

Suggestion: you and prcmelo just share the fame – you had the idea, he knows how to execute it. :D

@Matgen84@Jief_Machak

What‘s your opinion on prcmelo‘s solution?

Edited by rramon

1 hour ago, Slice said:

I committed the fix.

Thanks a lot for committed the fix: Big Sur 11.1 Beta icons appears in Clover GUI  :thumbsup_anim:  

Could you schedule the detection of the Big Sur recovery partition ! It would be convenient, I think, for all users.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, rramon said:

@Matgen84@Jief_Machak

@chris1111 @prcmelo @rramon

The two did an interesting job on customizing the Backup folder. We cannot compare them because the icons are from two different versions of macOS. Will the Clover Backup folder be able to adapt to each version of macOS? That is the question. :)

• Thanks 1

@Matgen84

I see.

In this case I‘m suggesting an UI solution which works OS-independently and consistently concerning visual appearance (by using a different color scheme for instance).

Nevertheless, the UI

solution should be technically unobjectionable (see above).

Edited by rramon

1 hour ago, rramon said:

@Matgen84

I see.

In this case I‘m suggesting an UI solution which works OS-independently and consistently concerning visual appearance (by using a different color scheme for instance).

Nevertheless, the UI

solution should be technically unobjectionable (see above).

@rramon

Thank you for your approach to the subject. You have to do with Chris, who is the initiator of the Backups folder customization proposal.

I think @Slice and @Jief_Machak are very busy making improvements to Clover that will benefit all users. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

@rramon

Thank you for your approach to the subject. You have to do with Chris, who is the initiator of the Backups folder customization proposal.

I think @Slice and @Jief_Machak are very busy making improvements to Clover that will benefit all users. :)

Thanks and I agree on preventing Devs being disturbed while doing their work.

I'm sure @chris1111 read my feedback and will think about it, right? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Common_Sense said:

Agreed, a proper solution should be preferred. I just use the PlugIns workaround because I don't have another solution. 

How do you feel about the OC solution of writing the order of kext loading in the config.plist? Since this is likely to remain constant, or at least does not change very often, it is no big deal if we need to manually specify the order, just my 2 cents.

Definitely no : that's lazy solution. The order of kexts can be deduced from their info.plist.

We will implement that soon. In the meantime, we have hardcoded the order. So if you tell me this kext must load before this one, we can do that with one line of code.

That way, everyone keeps clean kext.

6 hours ago, rramon said:

@Matgen84@Jief_Machak

Sorry, I can't follow everything, too much messages on this forum.

So I don't know what is "prcmelo‘s solution" to a problem I don't know either. If it's cosmetic, I'm out : too busy with Clover core.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 7:43 PM, PG7 said:

clover r5126

I come here to post two problems that I encounter and can be solved (at least I think)

- I use an Atheros ar9285 Wifi and then I got the kext here

- I tested it a lot and I even managed to get it to work, but it is incomprehensible to know why it works one hour and then it may not work!

- I tested with OpenCore and with FUnciona all the time! and that's until I can get it to work on Clover

- did some tests and my result is the order of loading the kext by Clover
if we manage to apply a correct order the Wifi works Normal with Clover

- I have the same problem with a touchpad kext for ALPS ps2 pro Dell
in OpenCore it loads and works normal, in Clover it happens the same as with the Wifi kext (in previous versions of macOS it works without problems)

- I got a debug and a preboot where everything is working with Clover and another where NAO works
for me the order of loading the kext is the problem

- I leave the debugs for you to analyze and certainly advise me the indicated way to do it

- I tried to install the kext with Chris Droplet in L / E but it doesn't work

since already Thanks to all and good weekend

preboot-funciona o touchpad com a boa kext.log

debug-funciona o touchpad com a boa kext.log

debug-Atheros+touchpad OK.log

preboot-Atheros+touchpad OK.log

About this kext order problem : please everyone, help us !

So take few minutes to read your debug log. Example, in "debug-funciona o touchpad com a boa kext.log" :

16:246  0:002  OCAK: com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 got KXLD 0 0
16:248  0:001  OCAK: Requesting __LINKEDIT for com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 - CD0633E8 at 40BF000
16:251  0:003  OCAK: Requesting SymbolTable for com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 - 4907
16:254  0:002  OCAK: Dependency com.apple.iokit.HS80211Family was not found for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40
16:256  0:001  OCAK: Ignoring KPI com.apple.kpi.bsd for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 in KC/state mode
16:258  0:001  OCAK: Ignoring KPI com.apple.kpi.iokit for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 in KC/state mode
16:260  0:001  OCAK: Ignoring KPI com.apple.kpi.libkern for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 in KC/state mode
16:264  0:003  OCAK: Ignoring KPI com.apple.kpi.mach for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 in KC/state mode
16:266  0:001  OCAK: Ignoring KPI com.apple.kpi.unsupported for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 in KC/state mode
16:290  0:023  OCAK: Vtable patching failed for kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40
16:292  0:001  OC: Prelinked injection Kexts\Other\AirPortAtheros40.kext () - Invalid Parameter

I think it's quite easy to see that "AirPortAtheros40.kext" is missing "com.apple.iokit.HS80211Family".

Continue to read down, and you'll find that "HS80211Family.kext" is injected later, confirming the problem. Then, you send us a message saying "AirPortAtheros40.kext" must be loaded after "HS80211Family.kext" and boom, 10 minutes later you have it !

Also, check AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist and you'll see :

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
	<dict>
		<key>as.acidanthera.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller</key>
		<string>2.1.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily</key>
		<string>1.0.0b1</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
		<string>8.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
		<string>8.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
		<string>8.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
		<string>8.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
		<string>8.0.0</string>
	</dict>

Pretty easy to spot dependencies, right ?

Ignore com.apple.*

One last thing, be careful : the name of the kext usually matches its ID, but it's not mandatory. Example : "com.apple.iokit.HS80211Family" is the ID of "HS80211Family.kext", but it could be "foobar.kext".

The ID is taken from info.plist (key CFBundleIdentifier), NOT from the kext name. But again, usually, it'll match.

So, @PG7 @MICKHAEL and others, could you tell me which kext do you need before which other one, instead of sending me your debug.log :lol: ?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Definitely no : that's lazy solution. The order of kexts can be deduced from their info.plist.

We will implement that soon. In the meantime, we have hardcoded the order. So if you tell me this kext must load before this one, we can do that with one line of code.

That way, everyone keeps clean kext.

Sorry, I can't follow everything, too much messages on this forum.

So I don't know what is "prcmelo‘s solution" to a problem I don't know either. If it's cosmetic, I'm out : too busy with Clover core.

Could you please hardcode so that FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext has a dependency on FakePCIID.kext?

prcmelo made a folder icon with a Clover logo on, for using with the Clover backup folder that gets copied to the desktop while installing Clover. Maybe we can use it? Looks very good I think :)

• Like 1

PS : search for " - Invalid Parameter" in your debug.log.

6 minutes ago, Common_Sense said:

Could you please hardcode so that FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext has a dependency on FakePCIID.kext?

You were the quickest, you earned a beer.

Yes, I'll do that after I'm back from the beach B)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Yes, I'll do that after I'm back from the beach B)

on the beach and here with this cold .... good bath

Edited by PG7
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Common_Sense said:

AFAIK there are a family of kexts FakePCIID_***.kext and all of them should be loaded after FakePCIID.kext.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Yes, I'll do that after I'm back from the beach

it's a joke or you come back from the beach really... now I pronounce sentences in Bolognese slang that are not translatable  :hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Slice said:

AFAIK there are a family of kexts FakePCIID_***.kext and all of them should be loaded after FakePCIID.kext.

Yes, there are a whole family of kexts, I just thought of the two kexts I am using, I don't really know how many of these kexts that are used, many of them might have other solutions.

The complete family of kexts are:

FakePCIID.kext

FakePCIID_AR9280_as_AR946x.kext

FakePCIID_BCM57XX_as_BCM57765.kext

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext

FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext

FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext