Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,059 posts in this topic

@Jief_Machak

may I ask maybe a stupid thing?

It seems that debug log is written till boot loader bootmenu appears before choosing from which OS I want to boot
After choosing and booting it does not write any data anymore

If it is so, in the debug log I see always:

GetOSVersion: 10.13.6 (17G14033)

[OS: 10.13.6 | MatchOS: All | MatchBuild: no] ==> allowed by OS

also if I start Big Sur

Is there a your commit which solve this?

Or in your opinion is not related to the problem some people have to not be able to have a single config.plist to boot in high Sierra or Big Sur?

thank you

5 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Could you find a Clover folder that works for Mojave ? Because here I can't see anything wrong with Clover (maybe there is, but can't see it !).

Like a backup folder or whatever. Even if it works only for Mojave. Because it looks like a config.plist problem. Maybe a patch must NOT be applied ?

As usual, I call that differential debugging. I propose to restart from a working Mojave config. Then, we'll update Clover, knowing that the config.plist works and MUST NOT be touched. Then, we'll improve the working config.plist by importing changes from the non-working config.plist. Few at a times. And we'll know when it'll break.

without touching absolutely anything in the setup
using the default config.plist created from scratch yesterday starting from the sample, but only by changing version of Clover, in this case one that I compiled yesterday, mojave (but also catalina and BS) starts without problems

5125 (master, commit 18038055a)_MOJ_OK_debug.log

CLOVERX64_5125_18038055a.efi.zip

11 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

without touching absolutely anything in the setup
using the default config.plist created from scratch yesterday starting from the sample, but only by changing version of Clover, in this case one that I compiled yesterday, mojave (but also catalina and BS) starts without problems

5125 (master, commit 18038055a)_MOJ_OK_debug.log

CLOVERX64_5125_18038055a.efi.zip

I know, but that doesn't help. The clover that can boot mojave is a local compilation I've made. So I've made a modification, made it work, and maybe lost it in the next commits.

Because the logs are the same, whether it works or not, our only chance is to do as I proposed to understand what make it fail. So I can add logs, understand, and re-fix it.

Sorry about that. I was multitasking too much the other day...

22 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

in this case one that I compiled yesterday

Sorry, I saw build id : 20201021172059-1803805-dirty and I thought I compiled it, with a modification.

Ok, things are different now.

1) the build id is "dirty". That means a file was modified compare to github. Do you still have that dir where you compiled that version ? Can you do git status in it ?

Edited by Jief_Machak

6 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

Can you do git status in it ?

1457709628_Schermata2020-10-23alle13_17_07.thumb.png.398a0e5b26cc81613725340cd46fc5a5.png

12 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

I know, but that doesn't help. The clover that can boot mojave is a local compilation I've made. So I've made a modification, made it work, and maybe lost it in the next commits.

Because the logs are the same, whether it works or not, our only chance is to do as I proposed to understand what make it fail. So I can add logs, understand, and re-fix it.

Sorry about that. I was multitasking too much the other day...

if i got it right basically text i clover taken here

https://github.com/jief666/CloverCommits

until, if I can, find the point between the one he starts and the next one that doesn't start

there's no problem

no, no, wait, wait.

If you can compile a commit, make it work and the one I compile doesn't, it's a whole different story.

Forgot what I've said. Do not delete or change anything yet.

Buildme may have updated it, because now we are at the latest commit.

You should have done what I proposed "git status", and not buildme -> status.

I don't know if buildme was updated to handle the git submodule.

Still, it's strange you have new commits in OpenCorePkg. Could "cd" in OpenCore and do "git status" ?

10 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

no, no, wait, wait.

If you can compile a commit, make it work and the one I compile doesn't, it's a whole different story.

Forgot what I've said. Do not delete or change anything yet.

Buildme may have updated it, because now we are at the latest commit.

You should have done what I proposed "git status", and not buildme -> status.

I don't know if buildme was updated to handle the git submodule.

Still, it's strange you have new commits in OpenCorePkg. Could "cd" in OpenCore and do "git status" ?

Hi @Jief_Machak BuildMe don't have --recursive-submodules args for git clone. First I create the submodule in my currently existing repo. Finally, I recreate a clean src folder and git clone with --recursive-submodules args.

Spoiler

iMac-de-Mathieu:opencorepkg mathieu$ git status

HEAD detached at 39fb4341

nothing to commit, working tree clean

iMac-de-Mathieu:opencorepkg mathieu$ git log

commit 39fb43413e5d3377de65bd0355a11b790edada4f (HEAD, origin/master, origin/HEAD, master)

Author: jief666 <github.com@jfa.knudsen.ovh>

Date:   Wed Oct 21 17:26:33 2020 +0300

Less log + global for InternalGetApfsSpecialFileInfo.

Edited by Matgen84

anyway, for information, I've been testing back the Clover here
until C-20201016100620-aee426f-5125.efi
and no one starts mojaje me, indeed to be honest, I tested some of them also on BS and he does not start too.
only by selecting configs with the matchos fields empty starts BS but mojave even so it still doesn't start

• Sad 1

What's amazing is that you manage, by chance, to have a version that works.

Unfortunately, we can't know how you compiled the commit 18038055ab4a089fdc081a30e03c0b7d21e95c00. Seems that your folder was updated.

I understand for BS and MatchOS. I'm extremely puzzled that Mojave doesn't start when HS and BS can !

You didn't tell me the result if you "cd" in OpenCorePkg folder and do "git status"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iCanaro said:

anyway, for information, I've been testing back the Clover here
until C-20201016100620-aee426f-5125.efi
and no one starts mojaje me, indeed to be honest, I tested some of them also on BS and he does not start too.
only by selecting configs with the matchos fields empty starts BS but mojave even so it still doesn't start

I'm currently thinking that you compiled 18038055ab4a089fdc081a30e03c0b7d21e95c00, but with a different version of underlying OpenCore. That's why I asked for "git status" in OpenCorePkg.

In short, did we introduce something in OC that break Mojave boot ? Seeing the modification we made in OC (almost nothing), it seems very unlikely, but who knows ?

The other solution is what I've said : go back in time to find something that works. This one doesn't work either : https://github.com/jief666/CloverCommits/blob/master/C-20201012150600-d2bec9b-5124.efi ?

Edited by Jief_Machak

18 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

@mifjpn You are up to date. Seems fine. With @iCanaro we are in combination of 2 problems. So, please @iCanaro do not update anything yet.

@iCanaro Could you try this CloverX64-DEBUG_XCODE8-20201021172059-1803805-dirty.zip

it seems to me that for the X570 you have exactly understood the situation, now with this commit of Clover I start correctly with the same config, mojave, catalina and big sur
Good! :thumbsup_anim:

CloverX64-DEBUG_XCODE8-20201021172059-1803805-dirty.efi_MOJ_OK_debug.log

CloverX64-DEBUG_XCODE8-20201021172059-1803805-dirty.efi_CATA_OK_debug.log

CloverX64-DEBUG_XCODE8-20201021172059-1803805-dirty.efi_BS_OK_debug.log

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I’ll try update Clover and my config with matchOS on my X570 tomorrow and post results. Should I use this : CloverX64-DEBUG_XCODE8-20201021172059-1803805-dirty.zip or pull from master? 

Just wait. I've where is the "something". No need for more test yet. I'll tell you here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

:thumbsup_anim: i didn't try catalina but this build of clover starts bigsur and mojave

CloverX64-2020-10-23-21-10-05-e4e57cb-dirty-jief_MOJ_OK_debug.log

CloverX64-2020-10-23-21-10-05-e4e57cb-dirty-jief_BS_OK_debug.log

PS: CloverX64-2020-10-23-21-10-05-e4e57cb-dirty-jief_CATA_OK_debug.log

Edited by iCanaro

20 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

last commit is supposed to work.

I compiled Clover with this commit, and tested it on the X570 AMD

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/commit/d540f76b5469ed24d4a8a650645854355e166c7f

Mojave OK :thumbsup_anim:
Catalina OK :thumbsup_anim:
BigSur OK :thumbsup_anim:

later, crossing my fingers and text also on high sierra 

and in all my other hacks

:thanks_speechbubble: Jief 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1