Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,058 posts in this topic

I have a wireless usb 3.0 keyboard and have no problem in the shell. Try using one of the other shell variations. It may be a limitation of your firmware or the keyboard as well since the simple text input protocol doesn't have shift/alt/control/etc key support so it relies on the driver. If the driver doesn't properly check whether the shift key is pressed to alter the character that is retrieved from the keyboard then it will just use the character represented by the key scan code. The keyboard may also be to blame by having a different scan code for keys, especially if it is not an ANSI english keyboard.

EDIT: You can also try using either the ps2 keyboard driver from edk2, or the usb keyboard driver from clover or unmodified from edk2. Though if you are legacy booting you already have the clover modified one.

Edited by apianti

Uhm...guys? Is this intended? Cause it looks like a bug to me... Looks like VBoxHfs-64.uefi is present as both Mandatory and non-mandatory driver.

My guess is that it should probably be removed from non-mandatory...?

Point is, I can't build Clover anymore due to that error. If there is something I've missed, please, let me know.

2115821658_Screenshot2019-05-06at13_19_17.png.1eee70800bcb751fe4e1f301009b3c2a.png

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, arsradu said:

Uhm...guys? Is this intended? Cause it looks like a bug to me... Looks like VBoxHfs-64.uefi is present as both Mandatory and non-mandatory driver.

My guess is that it should probably be removed from non-mandatory...?

Point is, I can't build Clover anymore due to that error. If there is something I've missed, please, let me know.

2115821658_Screenshot2019-05-06at13_19_17.png.1eee70800bcb751fe4e1f301009b3c2a.png

I don't have this problem with both edk2 and udk2018 script. Which one do you use?

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

I don't have this problem with both edk2 and udk2018 script. Which one do you use?

Well, the same one I've always used (attached)... And I'm using UDK2018. Not sure what changed and where. Which one are you using? :)) Also, is this with a clean environment?

CloverNew

Edited by arsradu

I see no problem

total 43360
drwxr-xr-x  13 sergey  staff      442 May  7 21:28 .
drwxr-xr-x  15 sergey  staff      510 May  7 21:28 ..
drwxr-xr-x   5 sergey  staff      170 May  7 21:28 CloverCD
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:28 CloverISO-4928
-rw-r--r--   1 sergey  staff  2882689 May  7 21:28 CloverISO-4928.tar.lzma
-rw-r--r--@  1 sergey  staff  9467800 May  7 21:28 Clover_v2.4k_r4928.pkg
-rw-r--r--   1 sergey  staff       68 May  7 21:28 Clover_v2.4k_r4928.pkg.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 sergey  staff  9385613 May  7 21:28 Clover_v2.4k_r4928.zip
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:26 Resources
drwxr-xr-x   6 sergey  staff      204 May  7 21:27 build
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:28 i386
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:28 package
drwxr-xr-x   6 sergey  staff      204 May  7 21:27 utils
done!

6 minutes ago, Slice said:

I see no problem

total 43360
drwxr-xr-x  13 sergey  staff      442 May  7 21:28 .
drwxr-xr-x  15 sergey  staff      510 May  7 21:28 ..
drwxr-xr-x   5 sergey  staff      170 May  7 21:28 CloverCD
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:28 CloverISO-4928
-rw-r--r--   1 sergey  staff  2882689 May  7 21:28 CloverISO-4928.tar.lzma
-rw-r--r--@  1 sergey  staff  9467800 May  7 21:28 Clover_v2.4k_r4928.pkg
-rw-r--r--   1 sergey  staff       68 May  7 21:28 Clover_v2.4k_r4928.pkg.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 sergey  staff  9385613 May  7 21:28 Clover_v2.4k_r4928.zip
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:26 Resources
drwxr-xr-x   6 sergey  staff      204 May  7 21:27 build
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:28 i386
drwxr-xr-x   3 sergey  staff      102 May  7 21:28 package
drwxr-xr-x   6 sergey  staff      204 May  7 21:27 utils
done!

Yeah, everything looks fine in your case. 

Then it's probably just me... But I can't figure out what am I missing here... It's the same script I've always used. And this is actually the first time I'm encountering this issue...

Hmm... which Xcode version are you using? Are you still on High Sierra?

I doubt this is an Xcode issue... But then again, we've seen many weird issues in the past that were caused by that. So, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another one of those cases. Right now, I'm on Xcode 10.2.1.

If you think it could be Xcode, I can try to get an older version (such as 10.1) and see if that still occurs.

Also, I think it might be interesting to see how does it work if I'm trying to force it to build a specific version. Such as 4921 for example. Same environment, of course. Same Xcode. Just a different revision.

I'll let you know. :)

Edited by arsradu

Fine here

11 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Then it's probably just me... But I can't figure out what am I missing here

Is bash the stock one?

echo $BASH_VERSION

result:

3.2.57(1)-release

Edited by vector sigma

7 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Fine here

Is bash the stock one?

echo $BASH_VERSION

result:

3.2.57(1)-release

Same here.

1945849698_Screenshot2019-05-07at21_51_19.thumb.png.9f7fa4412facbcba853d11ce46e43d6f.png

Also, I can build 4291 just fine. I'll try 4293... Maybe there's something in that commit that it doesn't like.

One thing I've noticed with build 4291. The name is different.

676635730_Screenshot2019-05-07at21_53_15.thumb.png.91cb48a067c74fcb69f2929a4e6e385a.png

Edited by arsradu

6 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Using USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER?

Bingo! Indeed, I am using HFSPlus. But...does it check for that before it makes the build? Cause it didn't seem to do that with previous versions. Is this something new?

Also, 4923 displays the same error which seems to be caused by the same name... but I'm guessing it's not...caused by that? Since Slice was able to build the latest version with no issues?

I'm guessing there's something with commit 4923 that causes this. Maybe only when there's HFSPlus driver... But again, we're not talking about installing the build here. Just...creating it in the first place. If there's a check for that during this step, I wasn't aware of it. Of course, I could be wrong.

Edited by arsradu

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Bingo! Indeed, I am using HFSPlus. But...does it check for that before it makes the build? Cause it didn't seem to do that with previous versions. Is this something new?

This must be related to a very old commit, but anyway if you want use that functionality you have to ensure that 

Clover/FileSystems/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi

exists :)

EDIT

probably VBoxHfs will be copied anyway and a change will be required, but this is another story.

2 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

This must be related to a very old commit, but anyway if you want use that functionality you have to ensure that 

Clover/FileSystems/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi

exists :)

Wait. I'm using HFSPlus in the sense that I've got it under Clover/CloverUEFIDrivers on the EFI partition. :)) Not that I'm using it to build Clover. That's what I was trying to say before. I wasn't aware that there's a function that checks what you have in your EFI folder before building Clover. :)) If there isn't, then this is not the case we're talking about.

And, as I said, building works perfectly fine with 4921, with the exact same setup.

6 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Wait. I'm using HFSPlus in the sense that I've got it under Clover/CloverUEFIDrivers on the EFI partition. :)) Not that I'm using it to build Clover. That's what I was trying to say before. I wasn't aware that there's a function that checks what you have in your EFI folder before building Clover. :)) If there isn't, then this is not the case we're talking about.

And, as I said, building works perfectly fine with 4921, with the exact same setup.

Doesn't check if exist in your ESP in fact, but we're not talking about building Clover?

I mean that if you pass -DUSE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER ...it expect to find Clover/FileSystems/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi... in the source code directory.. otherwise Vboxhfs will be copied..

Edited by vector sigma

Just now, vector sigma said:

Doesn't check if exist in your ESP in fact, but we're not talking about building Clover?

We are. That's the thing. I don't want it to build Clover with HFSPlus already included. I can add it myself once it's built. I just want it to build it. :)) It doesn't matter what I have in ESP.

And looking at commit 4923 I'm guessing some of that might be causing some of the drivers to have a duplicated name...which might cause the error? I don't know. I might be talking stupid here. But...I don't see why it would show that error with build 4923 (which it does indeed looks like it's trying to build two drivers with the same identical name) and not with 4921 (where it builds the VBoxHfs driver without the "-64" part). 

1764849128_Screenshot2019-05-07at22_19_26.thumb.png.763ed687ed4aa50106bec36d26f36f60.png

Just now, arsradu said:

We are. That's the thing. I don't want it to build Clover with HFSPlus already included. I can add it myself once it's built. I just want it to build it. :)) It doesn't matter what I have in ESP.

And looking at commit 4923 I'm guessing some of that might be causing some of the drivers to have a duplicated name...which might cause the error? I don't know. I might be talking stupid here. But...I don't see why it would show that error with build 4923 (which it does indeed looks like it's trying to build two drivers with the same identical name) and not with 4921 (where it builds the VBoxHfs driver without the "-64" part). 

1764849128_Screenshot2019-05-07at22_19_26.thumb.png.763ed687ed4aa50106bec36d26f36f60.png

Yes can be, but I though you find the culprit by using USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER. You said "Bingo" Lol

1 minute ago, vector sigma said:

Yes can be, but I though you find the culprit by using USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER. You said "Bingo" Lol

Misunderstanding on my side... And lucky coincidence, I guess...? :))) Cause I actually do have HFSPlus in ESP.

Sorry, my bad. :) I hope it's all clear now. At least for this part of the problem. :))

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Misunderstanding on my side... And lucky coincidence, I guess...? :))) Cause I actually do have HFSPlus in ESP.

Sorry, my bad. :) I hope it's all clear now. At least for this part of the problem. :))

Found the problem, and is not a problem with Clover. Go there: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleSupportPkg/releases

and download latest release.... it contains VBoxHfs.efi:hysterical::hysterical:

512366948_Schermata2019-05-07alle21_35_34.png.78461de2fe891902f483c40065a4285e.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, vector sigma said:

Found the problem, and is not a problem with Clover. Go there: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleSupportPkg/releases

and download latest release.... it contains VBoxHfs.efi:hysterical::hysterical:

Nooo waaay, Huawei. :))

Yeah, that explains it... And because I'm downloading the drivers with "--ext-pre" ...there it is another one. So...there's one from Clover and one from AppleSupportPkg? Uhm...oook... Is that intended? :)) It still doesn't feel quite ok to me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Lol. We can filter a driver... but what if achid-devs add another one?? Lol

Good point.

8 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

The question is: is their driver, different, better or whatever? Since one use precompiled drivers ("--ext-pre"), should we replace the stock one.... or just don't copy the copy?

Very good question indeed.

I think this needs to be discussed with him... I'm pretty sure he wasn't aware that this would cause conflicts with existing drivers.

So, in my opinion, this needs to be discussed so we can establish which one to keep. Based on which one is better, has better support etc. If theirs is better, I guess we can check for that first and simply skip the stock one. I'm not sure what was the purpose of including that driver in the first place (i mean the one from AppleSupportPkg)... That's why I think more than anything this needs to be discussed. Cause there might be a very good reason for that.

And here we come again to the same issue of using different sources from different places into the same build...

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

So, in my opinion, this needs to be discussed so we can establish which one to keep. Based on which one is better, has better support etc. 

probably it has to do with some nvram reading, otherwise I can't see profit.