Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,058 posts in this topic

Well, I have few questions:

1. Why after writing boot1f32 my EFI partition (/dev/disk0s1) becomes "Unknown"..?

Screenshot 7.png

2. I previously writing boot0ss to my /dev/disk0 bootsectors for booting Legacy.

While I think UEFI is stable enough on my laptop nowadays, how could I remove it?

3. I got these logs from Linux's $ sudo dmesg:

ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_ERROR); disabling ASPM
pci 0000:00:01.0: ASPM: current common clock configuration is broken, reconfiguring

// PNP0A08 is referring to _SB.PCI0

Does it indicate that I need using "DisableASPM=Yes" on Clover ACPI section?

4. What do these warnings mean and (probably) any idea to fix them?

I don't think Clover's "FixRegions=Yes" helps, though.. I could just ignore these for sure.

ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042F
conflicts with OpRegion	     0x0000000000000400-0x000000000000047F (\PMIO)

ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000540-0x000000000000054F
conflicts with OpRegion	     0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000549 (\SBGP)

conflicts with OpRegion	     0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000563 (\GPIO)

ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device,
you should use it instead of the native driver

lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting gpio_ich

Many thanks.

Edited by Badruzeus

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hi Ella. So no need for "Old Way" in Wiki either. Ok, will update it.

\\Thanks!\\

Yeah, there's stuff all over it that needs finished, fixed, or removed. Anyone who is already at least a member of the project can edit the wiki. I decided against making it open to anyone to reduce the incorrect changes that could amass or prevent someone straight up deleting information.

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

I can only speak 2 languages fluently. One of which is my native language. :)) I also speak a bit of Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, and currently learning a bit of Japanese, as well. I definitely know the bad words in some of these. :))) But, for these last ones, I can't say I speak well enough to get a translation done.

So, in other words, yeah, that would help. :)

I agree, I know a few languages but not well enough to translate any better or even close to just literally using Google or Yandex translate. I'll stick to English and a mediocre illiterate child's Russian.

1 hour ago, Badruzeus said:

Well, I have few questions:

1. Why after writing boot1f32 my EFI partition (/dev/disk0s1) becomes "Unknown"..?

Screenshot 7.png

2. I previously writing boot0ss to my /dev/disk0 bootsectors for booting Legacy.

While I think UEFI is stable enough on my laptop nowadays, how could I remove it?

3. I got these logs from Linux's $ sudo dmesg:

ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_ERROR); disabling ASPM
pci 0000:00:01.0: ASPM: current common clock configuration is broken, reconfiguring

// PNP0A08 is referring to _SB.PCI0

Does it indicate that I need using "DisableASPM=Yes" on Clover ACPI section?

4. What do these warnings mean and (probably) any idea to fix them?

I don't think Clover's "FixRegions=Yes" helps, though.. I could just ignore these for sure.

ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042F
conflicts with OpRegion	     0x0000000000000400-0x000000000000047F (\PMIO)

conflicts with OpRegion	     0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000549 (\SBGP)

conflicts with OpRegion	     0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000563 (\GPIO)

ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device,
you should use it instead of the native driver

lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting gpio_ich

Many thanks.

1. It depends how you installed it, you may have overwritten the volume label or other information for the volume.

2. You can zero out the last two bytes of a MBR or PBR and that will make it not bootable. You can put 0x55, 0xAA back to make it bootable again. Refer to the PC BIOS boot reference for more information.

3. Fix only applies to macOS. You need to fix your ACPI tables for linux. You're missing that method to support ASPM states I'm guessing. Not sure if it's fixable in the legacy firmware, I don't see why it wouldn't be present in your original tables if your machine supported it, unless it's disabled in the firmware.

4. Also only fixes for macOS. Hmmmm..... Unsure why it would have overlapping regions, that's strange but I really doubt you need LPC. Also, the fact it is attempting to use ACPI and then says to use an ACPI driver instead makes no sense.... This may also be a side effect of legacy?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, apianti said:

There is an issue with legacy booting from a different device not on the same bus, I am not sure there is a way to fix it because of firmware drive numbers appearing pretty much random to the EFI emulation.

EDIT: Typo.

ok, so i decided to install clover on EFI partition of a SSD which is formatted as APFS for Mojave.

since clover installer could not show EFI in partition selection (i dont know if i select Mojave partition then check ESP in installer window would work because EFI is in disk1 and MOJA partition is in disk2), i tried manual installation.

here is my mojave ssd disk with apfs.

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         249.8 GB   disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +249.8 GB   disk2
                                 Physical Store disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume MOJA                    23.5 GB    disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 44.9 MB    disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                517.0 MB   disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      1.1 GB     disk2s4

i have USB stick with latest clover installed on it. Name is MM.

also i have fdisk440 from old clover installation. latest clover installation seems like does not include this tool.

and here is steps i tried.

1. install stage 0 loader

# fdisk440 -u -f /Volumes/MM/usr/standalone/i386/boot0af -y /dev/disk1

2. install stage 1 loader

# dd if=/Volume/MM/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32 of=/dev/rdisk1s1

3. mounted EFI partition (disk1s1) using EFI Mounter app

4. install stage 2 loader

# copy -r /Volume/MM/boot /Volume/EFI

5. install Clover EFI contents

# copy -r /Volume/MM/EFI /Volume/MM/usr /Volume/MM/Library /Volume/EFI 

but it fails to boot. it could not print "6" in screen. just stuck there.

Could you give me clue of how to install clover manually in EFI partition of APFS volume?

tnx,

Edited by ea dd

Yeah, this is known issue, asked maybe like ten posts ago... But the installer fails to install properly when using a volume in a container partition (APFS, CoreStorage, etc). You can just mount the EFI partition and move the /EFI folder from the root of the system volume to the EFI partition.

EDIT: Oh, wasn't paying attention that you were using legacy. You installed stage 1 wrong. And you don't need to copy at those folders, just EFI.

Edited by apianti

1 hour ago, apianti said:

Yeah, this is known issue, asked maybe like ten posts ago... But the installer fails to install properly when using a volume in a container partition (APFS, CoreStorage, etc). You can just mount the EFI partition and move the /EFI folder from the root of the system volume to the EFI partition.

EDIT: Oh, wasn't paying attention that you were using legacy. You installed stage 1 wrong. And you don't need to copy at those folders, just EFI.

ok, that stage 1 installation command messed my EFI partition.

now i have reformatted it with command 

newfs_msdos -F 32 -v EFI /dev/disk1s1 

then redid all above steps except step 2 and, instead, used following command.

/Volumes/MM/usr/local/bin/boot1-install -f /Volumes/MM/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32 /dev/rdisk1s1 

and it works. thank you.

now i can boot windows 10 legacy.

i just wonder why latest clovers did not include fdisk440. and what if i use osx stock fdisk.

tnx,

2 hours ago, apianti said:

1. It depends how you installed it, you may have overwritten the volume label or other information for the volume.

Yeah, usually.. I change EFI as "EF00" type code with gdisk and "set attributes" as "0" (EFI System), then what I got from Linux gParted it becomes: boot, esp, hidden. If I remember correctly, after fully Erased my whole Disk using macOS's Disk Utility as GPT; the mount point is /Volumes/ESP, but now is /Volumes/EFI bcoz I re-erase /dev/disk0s1 with `$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 32 -b 2048 -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1` < also am not really sure, without "2048" my EFI contents become weird eg. LongNameBlahBlahBlah becomes LONGNAME~1. And hi, is CaseSensitive important for FAT32 filesystem? I use Fat-64.efi #btw

2 hours ago, apianti said:

Also only fixes for macOS. Hmmmm..... Unsure why it would have overlapping regions, that's strange but I really doubt you need LPC. Also, the fact it is attempting to use ACPI and then says to use an ACPI driver instead makes no sense.... This may also be a side effect of legacy?

I just realized it only appears from Linux Kernel 5.x dmesg. Having no warning with prev. kernel vers, at least on my firmware. And, it makes no sense for using with macOS, I think.

Edited by Badruzeus

Hi guys,

Starting with 10.14.5 Beta 2 (now with Beta 3, as well), I've got an issue upon boot. Beta 1 was fine.

There seem to be some pink/purple lines displayed on the top of the screen. Screenshot below.

IMG_1058.thumb.jpeg.8d0d5ac5b427a08546054c3c82cd257f.jpeg

Since they appear somewhat at the end of the first stage boot, and they do NOT appear at all on the second stage boot, my guess is that this could be something that Clover could help with...? Maybe?

It could just as well be a bug on the OS side...ooor something that needs to be changed on Clover side, to address it.

This does not occur with 10.14.4 (final release). And it did occur with both Clover 4920 and 4922. Same exact Clover for both 10.14.4 and 10.14.5 Beta 3.

If this is a Clover issue, it's a pretty weird one...

Anyway, right now I'm just curious if anyone else has this issue. I'm just thinking, if there is a way to fix it, assuming it's not a bug from Apple, maybe it should be fixed before everyone else upgrades to 10.14.5 (final release).

Edited by arsradu

8 hours ago, ea dd said:

ok, that stage 1 installation command messed my EFI partition.

now i have reformatted it with command 

newfs_msdos -F 32 -v EFI /dev/disk1s1 

then redid all above steps except step 2 and, instead, used following command.

/Volumes/MM/usr/local/bin/boot1-install -f /Volumes/MM/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32 /dev/rdisk1s1 

and it works. thank you.

now i can boot windows 10 legacy.

i just wonder why latest clovers did not include fdisk440. and what if i use osx stock fdisk.

tnx,

fdisk440 is not needed because you can just use dd, which is already available, so I'm pretty sure that is just a script. You need to preserve the last 72 bytes of the master/partition boot record, the first 440 are for boot code and the last two are the bootable flag, 70 bytes give a description of the format of the disk/partition beyond that boot record sector. fdisk will just modify that information for the master boot record, (i.e. the four primary partitions for the disk).

8 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Yeah, usually.. I change EFI as "EF00" type code with gdisk and "set attributes" as "0" (EFI System), then what I got from Linux gParted it becomes: boot, esp, hidden. If I remember correctly, after fully Erased my whole Disk using macOS's Disk Utility as GPT; the mount point is /Volumes/ESP, but now is /Volumes/EFI bcoz I re-erase /dev/disk0s1 with `$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 32 -b 2048 -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1` < also am not really sure, without "2048" my EFI contents become weird eg. LongNameBlahBlahBlah becomes LONGNAME~1. And hi, is CaseSensitive important for FAT32 filesystem? I use Fat-64.efi #btw

I just realized it only appears from Linux Kernel 5.x dmesg. Having no warning with prev. kernel vers, at least on my firmware. And, it makes no sense for using with macOS, I think.

Because actually there is no such thing a FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 anymore it's actually VFAT and the number of total clusters determine the actual type that is used. So you had to reduce from 4096 to 2048 bytes per cluster to get less sectors per cluster giving you more clusters so that it probably became FAT32 like you specified instead of FAT16 like it would expect when being read after it checked the cluster count. FAT filesystems are not case sensitive. Yeah, I wouldn't really worry about the messages if you still have everything working, unless you have a really old machine I very much doubt it has LPC, let alone anything actually connected to it. Far more likely that it is using GPIO (i2c and SMBus) or SPI if it's newer.

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys,

Starting with 10.14.5 Beta 2 (now with Beta 3, as well), I've got an issue upon boot. Beta 1 was fine.

There seem to be some pink/purple lines displayed on the top of the screen. Screenshot below.

Since they appear somewhat at the end of the first stage boot, and they do NOT appear at all on the second stage boot, my guess is that this could be something that Clover could help with...? Maybe?

It could be just as well be a bug on the OS side...ooor something that needs to be changed on Clover side, to address it.

This does not occur with 10.14.4 (final release). And it did occur with both Clover 4920 and 4922. Same exact Clover for both 10.14.4 and 10.14.5 Beta 3.

If this is a Clover issue, it's a pretty weird one...

Anyway, right now I'm just curious if anyone else has this issue. I'm just thinking, if there is a way to fix it, assuming it's not a bug from Apple, maybe it should be fixed before everyone else upgrades to 10.14.5 (final release).

It's probably a bug in the beta, this frequently happens in the betas, at least the image is there and not just a black screen for the first part like last time.....

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

in korea, sourceforge blocked korea IP and access. i can't access sourceforge site without VPN(other country). it's so sad. i don't know why they blocked korea IP.

Are you sure "sourceforge" blocked it, not your Internet Service Provider?

Anyway, instead of free VPN service, I prefer using DNSCrypt: https://dnscrypt.info/implementations/

Edited by Badruzeus

Are you sure "sourceforge" blocked it, not your Internet Service Provider?
Anyway, instead of free VPN service, I prefer using DNSCrypt: https://github.com/alterstep/dnscrypt-osxclient
the most of korean experienced this issue without related ISP. i need VPN service when using SF. thank you for DNSCrypt info

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

the most of korean experienced this issue without related ISP. i need VPN service when using SF. thank you for DNSCrypt infoemoji3.png

Sorry, I meant this one. Seems not updated since 2 years ago, but I got it working till 10.14.x

Screenshot 16.png

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

in korea, sourceforge blocked korea IP and access. i can't access sourceforge site without VPN(other country). it's so sad. i don't know why they blocked korea IP.

Unfortunately, because of large amounts of spam coming from korea many sites are blocking korean IP addresses. Seems quite brutal for source forge but do you still have access to other similar type sites, like github?

Unfortunately, because of large amounts of spam coming from korea many sites are blocking korean IP addresses. Seems quite brutal for source forge but do you still have access to other similar type sites, like github?
hi apianti.
recently i change asus wifi router rt-ac66u to ac rt68u. first i suspected router issue. but most of korean people suffered this issue for only sf.

except only sf, i don't have problem to access source site(github and etc)

6 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

hi apianti.
recently i change asus wifi router rt-ac66u to ac rt68u. first i suspected router issue. but most of korean people suffered this issue for only sf.

except only sf, i don't have problem to access source site(github and etc)

I expect that sourceforge was maybe being barraged by korean traffic so it had no choice but to block an entire regional subnet of IP addresses. May even be attacks that are not originating in korea but those IP addresses have now been deemed as compromised by sourceforge's firewall/filtering.

EDIT: Maybe put in a support ticket and see why?

Edited by apianti

19 hours ago, apianti said:

I expect that sourceforge was maybe being barraged by korean traffic so it had no choice but to block an entire regional subnet of IP addresses. May even be attacks that are not originating in korea but those IP addresses have now been deemed as compromised by sourceforge's firewall/filtering.

EDIT: Maybe put in a support ticket and see why?

thank you for explanation.
as result, if i need to commit, i always use VPN :(

EDIT1

best way is TouchVPN.

it's a simple UI. and can find app from appstore.

Edited by Sherlocks

2 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

UEFI Shell tip:

It is important to be able to type a colon for file management purposes.  The only answer I've found is to use an older Mac wired keyboard.   Wired windows keyboards, wireless keyboards don't work.   The only solution for me was to use the full size wired Apple keyboard.

What are you talking about?? I use Wired Windows Keyboard, and i can type "colon" in UEFI Shell

Edited by Andres ZeroCross

14 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

UEFI Shell tip:

It is important to be able to type a colon for file management purposes.  The only answer I've found is to use an older Mac wired keyboard.   Wired windows keyboards, wireless keyboards don't work.   The only solution for me was to use the full size wired Apple keyboard.

Actually i use usb full apple keyboard and i can't type colon !