Clover General discussion

ErmaC
30,058 posts in this topic

I switched to Clover r4855 without BootChimeCfg.efi and, as it turned out, Clover immediately writes the wrong value to NVRAM (got index=-1003609600, which cannot be changed without BootChimeCfg.efi). At the same time, it records the correct volume value (volume 90 received). It does not matter whether the audio output settings menu was used or not. In my configuration, hardware NVRAM is running. Therefore, I do not use EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and not nravam.plist :( If I boot from the flash drive which BootChimeCfg.efi and fix the output, then the value (got index = -1003609600) changes to the correct one, and the sound appears before loading Clover.

Edited by MakAsus

@Slice

latest clover r4856, everything is good. thank you for update.

can we have chance to reset nvram(F11) lnclude BootChime GUID(initialized like factory)?

is BootChime GUID unique guid for only audiodxe.efi? not common?

also can we have chance for boot sound when showing apple log like BootChimeDxe.efi?

thanks in advance

EDIT1.

in r4856, sound.wav quality is bad. i listened original sound with electronic. i used sound.wav file from clovy theme folder

3:810  0:000  === [ InitTheme ] =========================================
3:810  0:000  use daylight theme
3:812  0:001  Using theme 'bootcamp' (EFI\CLOVER\themes\bootcamp)
3:812  0:000  Warning! Character width 9 should be even!
3:812  0:000    Channels: 2  Sample rate: 8000 Hz  Bits: 16
3:812  0:000  output to channel -780514048 with volume 80, len=75200
3:812  0:000   sound channels=2 bits=16 freq=8000
3:812  0:000  sound converted to 48kHz
6:448  2:635  Loading font from ThemeDir: Error
6:449  0:000  theme inited
6:449  0:000  Chosen theme bootcamp

Edited by Sherlocks
  • Like 1

Personally, I feel like having the startup sound before the UI is more realistic. But...an option to select to play it before or after, yeah, that would be interesting to have. I personally prefer it just the way it is now, meaning before the UI. I feel like it's closer to what real Macs do. But as I said, an option to choose which one you want, that would be interesting.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

Personally, I feel like having the startup sound before the UI is more realistic. But...an option to select to play it before or after, yeah, that would be interesting to have. I personally prefer it just the way it is now, meaning before the UI. I feel like it's closer to what real Macs do. But as I said, an option to choose which one you want, that would be interesting.

Honestly, using AudioDxe, BootChimeDxe & BootChimeCfg from @Goldfish64 repo I can hear sound before - after Clover GUI since r4843 w/o issue, except my nvram is going crazy (sometimes).

• Like 2

Hi

Sorry for questions for dummies:

• I can't find internal speakers output in clover audio setting and rear output
  • Clover GUI seems to be slower at startup
  • I can't keep settings after reboot (I only use AptioMemoryFix): I must use emuvariable, Right.

Thanks

screenshot1.thumb.png.65f151987db067259d254065a903f400.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Slice said:

3. About gSettings I am not decided finally. Keep only AudioVolume? What about other audio settings?

4. Currently we using gBootChimeVendorVariableGuid as Goldfish64 do. But it is not good for legacy Clover. May be remake to gAppleBootGuid? In this case we got saving audio parameters even with legacy Clover but we will loose original project compatibility.

3. It would be nice if Clover have own config (plist) including audio device, portindex, and also volumelevel. You may take this as example. User can grab device & port_index values from log and store it to config plist (I have log those values on my prev diff).

4. For nvram values, Clover can read values from gBootChimeVendorVariableGuid (if any) as 1st attempt, read from gAppleBootGuid as 2nd attempt, and fallback to user config plist values as last attempt, then save it to from gBootChimeVendorVariableGuid (+ gAppleBootGuid, meh!).

19 hours ago, Slice said:

PS. I need some ideas why PlayAsync is not working.

Have not tried it with Clover yet, will do. (already discussed with dev days ago about async playback here).

18 hours ago, MakAsus said:

value (got index = -1003609600)

17 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

output to channel -780514048

@MakAsus @Sherlocks seems you have bad values stored to nvram.

17 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

also can we have chance for boot sound when showing apple log like BootChimeDxe.efi?

Having those option in Clover is also great. But why you dont just install BootChimeDxe.efi for that purpose?

* AudioDxe will should much more useful to enhanced the GUI like this instead of just greeting sound

* link removed

Edited by cecekpawon
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi

Sorry for questions for dummies:

• I can't find internal speakers output in clover audio setting and rear output
  • Clover GUI seems to be slower at startup
  • I can't keep settings after reboot (I only use AptioMemoryFix): I must use emuvariable, Right.

Thanks

screenshot1.thumb.png.65f151987db067259d254065a903f400.png

1. Well, I think your Realtek ALC892_Headphones should also be your "internal speakers". They're usually paired in switch mode. 

Rear output should probably be Realtek ALC892_LineOut (the first one). Actually, they're most likely all Rear Outs... Just...different ports for different speakers. But the first one is probably mapped as the Green one. So that's why I said the first one.

2. Yeah, it's been reported before. It might be intended though... Not sure.

3. Mmm...which system are you trying this on? Isn't your system using native NVRAM? If not, I think AptioMemoryFix should be enough. But I'm not sure Clover is working in cooperation with it...yet. If your other NVRAM related settings are saved, I'd say this is probably a Clover issue and it doesn't work with AptioMemoryFix quite yet. I don't know. I might be talking stupid. So don't take my word for it.

Thing is, depending on your system, you might or might not need AptioMemoryFix for NVRAM. I do not think you need EmuVariable. And especially you shouldn't be using both at the same time.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, arsradu said:

1. Well, I think your Realtek ALC892_Headphones should also be your "internal speakers". They're usually paired in switch mode. 

Rear output should probably be Realtek ALC892_LineOut (the first one). Actually, they're most likely all Rear Outs... Just...different ports for different speakers. But the first one is probably mapped as the Green one. So that's why I said the first one.

2. Yeah, it's been reported before. It might be intended though... Not sure.

3. Mmm...which system are you trying this on? Isn't your system using native NVRAM? If not, I think AptioMemoryFix should be enough. But I'm not sure Clover is working in cooperation with it...yet. If your other NVRAM related settings are saved, I'd say this is probably a Clover issue and it doesn't work with AptioMemoryFix quite yet. I don't know. I might be talking stupid. So don't take my word for it.

Thing is, depending on your system, you might or might not need AptioMemoryFix for NVRAM. I do not think you need EmuVariable. And especially you shouldn't be using both at the same time.

Thanks for reply :)

1. I don't think Realtek ALC892_Headphones is Internal speakers and Rear output is not Realtek ALC892_LineOut (the first one). Both don't work in Clover options. Bootchimecfg.efi show Internal speakers in list output, mapped with rear green one.
  2. OK
  3. I don't know if my mobo 'Asus p8z77-v Pro' support native NVRAM. My other settings are saved.

Wait and see others commits :yes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

1. I don't think Realtek ALC892_Headphones is Internal speakers and Rear output is not Realtek ALC892_LineOut (the first one). Both don't work in Clover options. Bootchimecfg.efi show Internal speakers in list output, mapped with rear green one.
  2. OK
  3. I don't know if my mobo 'Asus p8z77-v Pro' support native NVRAM. My other settings are saved.

None of them will work in Clover options. :) That's a bug. If you wanna test them and set your boot chime, you need to use BootChimeCfg from Shell for now. As for your motherboard, I think all motherboards until Skylake (series 100) should have native NVRAM. So the issue might be somewhere else in your case.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

2. OK

Show me, please, voodoohda dump. I want to see if a problem with output configuration can be resolved by some patch like voodoohda do.

• Like 2

Cod work. It seems that it began to work correctly. The startup sound now plays on my computer with rev. 4857. Without using BootChimeCfg then clearing NVMRAM, I can set the volume and device output variable with Clover. The volume and device output are saved to NVRAM. Respect! :)

7:841  0:000  found 3 handles with audio

7:841  0:000  got index=2

7:841  0:000  got volume 90

——————————————————————————————————

8:451  0:000  Using vector theme 'Clovy' (EFI\CLOVER\themes\Clovy)

8:468  0:017    Channels: 2  Sample rate: 44100 Hz  Bits: 16

8:468  0:000  output to channel 2 with volume 90, len=451584

8:468  0:000   sound channels=2 bits=16 freq=44100

11:364  2:895  theme inited

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MakAsus said:

Cod work. It seems that it began to work correctly. The startup sound now plays on my computer with rev. 4857. Without using BootChimeCfg then clearing NVMRAM, I can set the volume and device output variable with Clover. The volume and device output are saved to NVRAM. Respect! :)

7:841  0:000  found 3 handles with audio

7:841  0:000  got index=2

7:841  0:000  got volume 90

——————————————————————————————————

8:451  0:000  Using vector theme 'Clovy' (EFI\CLOVER\themes\Clovy)

8:468  0:017    Channels: 2  Sample rate: 44100 Hz  Bits: 16

8:468  0:000  output to channel 2 with volume 90, len=451584

8:468  0:000   sound channels=2 bits=16 freq=44100

11:364  2:895  theme inited

I was just finishing compiling Clover when I saw your message. :)) Yeah, Clover 4857's UI seems to work a little better now. I was able to change the volume, without resetting itself, and select different outputs.

Things left to fix, for what I could see:

1. update the UI according to the previously saved configuration, when entering that menu.

Meaning: even though the settings are correctly saved, and the output you select is the one which will be used on the next reboot, it's still not correctly read when coming back to that menu. For example, although I'm using Device Output #8 in that list, when I enter that menu, it still displays the first one in the list as selected.

It looks like it's writing correctly to NVRAM, but it's not reading correctly from it. At least when it comes to the selected device output. It does display the volume correctly though. But not the device.

2. F7 still doesn't work yet. I understand it might be trickier to fix than it seems. :)

So...if you already know which device to choose from that list, yes, you can set it up from that UI and be done with it in a second. But if you don't...you might have to set each one of them individually and see which one works and also, which one suits your needs the best. Similar to what you would currently do using BootChimeCfg actually.

Other than that, just like you said: respect! Nice job!

Update:

Ok, it looks like it's more complicated than it seems in regards to bug nr 1. It DOES display them correctly when coming back to that menu, but for some reason, not all of them... Also, selecting some of them will freeze the UI. More details below.

So, these the options I've got. I selected option #8 just because that's what I'm using, not because that's what it was displaying when I opened this menu.

Now, all AMD options (options 1-6 in the list) are selectable, though no sound is coming out for this case. I understand this is a limitation of BootChime's implementation..? I could be wrong. Or at least it's not implemented yet. Point is, I'm not gonna say anything about it being functional or not if I'm not sure it should be.

Anwyay, selecting any of them will be actually saved and displayed correctly when coming back here. These are the only ones that are displayed. Anything else you select from the list below will be applied (correctly set), but not correctly displayed. Meaning they won't be displayed as selected when coming back to this menu.

Option 7 (Intel Haswell HDMI_HDMI) is not correctly displayed. I haven't tested the sound itself, since I'm not using the HDMI port on my motherboard. So it might work, but it probably doesn't, since it's still HDMI and it's not supported yet.

Now begins the interesting part:

Options 8 and 10 (Realtek ALC892_LineOut) work fine in terms of actual sound, but they're not displayed as selected.

Options 9, 11 and 12 (Realtek ALC892_LineOut and Realtek ALC892_Headphones) will freeze the UI if selected.

Screenshot2.thumb.png.656384b663a24974a704a1d05d3e946a.png

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MakAsus said:

Same. 

Awesome!

Is there a way to get rid of the metallic sound of the wav? It played clearly testing with BootChimeCfg but when hitting F7 in the Clover options and when it plays automatically it is buzzy.  My desktop it plays fine. Stupid laptop. 

Edited by Tobiko

Hi [mention=112217]Slice[/mention]
Regarding the timezone feature, mine is +8. Should i write +8 or only 8?

Just 8 should be fine. I’m +9.5 and I do just 9 or 10 I can’t remember which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Slice said:

Show me, please, voodoohda dump. I want to see if a problem with output configuration can be resolved by some patch like voodoohda do.

I don't use voodoohda, only AppleALC.

Also, I disabled AppleALC and use Voodoohda for dump. Files attached

VoodooHDAGetdump.txt.zip

AudioCodecID.txt.zip

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ellaosx said:

Hi @Slice

Regarding the timezone feature, mine is +8. Should i write +8 or only 8?

Both possible.

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

VoodooHDAGetdump.txt.zip

AudioCodecID.txt.zip

Well, your Realtek codec is not different from many others and configs are good.

You have

First group

nid 20 0x01014010 as  1 seq  0 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Green   misc 0
 nid 21 0x01011012 as  1 seq  2 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Black   misc 0
 nid 22 0x01016011 as  1 seq  1 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Orange  misc 0
 nid 23 0x01012014 as  1 seq  4 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Grey    misc 0
There is first output Rear Green

Second group

nid 27 0x02214c20 as  2 seq  0 Headphones    Jack  1/8     Front   External Green   misc 6

It is headphone jack at Front Green

Third group

nid 30 0x01456130 as  3 seq  0 SPDIF-out     Jack  Optic   Rear    External Orange  misc 0 NoPresenceDetect

also you have HDMI output from Nvidia card.

Which one are you expected to use for startup sound?

VoodooHDAGetdump.txt.zip

AudioCodecID.txt.zip

Mat, I don't think using VoodooHDA has anything to do with it. :)) I think Slice only wanted something he's familiar with, for debugging.

Point is, I'm also using AppleALC, and I've got no issues playing that sound. Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but we're actually using the same codec (ALC892). So...if it doesn't work for you, it has to be something specific to your setup.

Let's try something.

1. Download and install the attached version of Clover. It's the latest one.

2. Go into Options -> Startup Sound and make sure you set your volume first (60% I found to be the perfect volume for the sound to be audible and also non-intrusive). For 60% volume, the UI should say 0060. For 70% 0070 and so on so forth.

3. Make sure you've got the speakers connected to the Green port on the back of your computer (the one on the motherboard, not the one on the front panel).

4. Just for testing, select the first Realtek ALC892_LineOut

5. Select Return

6. When you're back at Clover's boot drive selection screen, navigate until you see Restart Computer, select it, and let it restart.

If you configured everything right, you should have sound.

My guess is that, in your case, you simply forgot to set the volume (your screenshot shows 0000).  So, even if the output device is correct, the volume is too low to hear anything.

screenshot1.thumb.png.65f151987db067259d254065a903f400.png.9c86aed8095e4947c5acee8eeb3f7a0b.png

Clover_v2.4k_r4857.zip

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

Mat, I don't think using VoodooHDA has anything to do with it. :)) I think Slice only wanted something he's familiar with, for debugging.

Point is, I'm also using AppleALC, and I've got no issues playing that sound. Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but we're actually using the same codec (ALC892). So...if it doesn't work for you, it has to be something specific to your setup.

Let's try something.

1. Download and install the attached version of Clover. It's the latest one.

2. Go into Options -> Startup Sound and make sure you set your volume first (60% I found to be the perfect volume for the sound to be audible and also non-intrusive). For 60% volume, the UI should say 0060. For 70% 0070 and so on so forth.

3. Make sure you've got the speakers connected to the Green port on the back of your computer (the one on the motherboard, not the one on the front panel).

4. Just for testing, select the first Realtek ALC892_LineOut

5. Select Return

6. When you're back at Clover's boot drive selection screen, navigate until you see Restart Computer, select it, and let it restart.

If you configured everything right, you should have sound.

My guess is that, in your case, you simply forgot to set the volume (your screenshot shows 0000). emoji4.png So, even if the output device is correct, the volume is too low to hear anything.

Clover_v2.4k_r4857.zip

Thanks for your help :)

Clover don't keep all startup sound output settings on my system: only volume is valide after restart, not the first Realtek ALC892_LineOut selected (See image before and below restart). There is always a issue with F7 key?

screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

Thanks for your help 

Clover don't keep all startup sound output settings on my system: only volume is valide after restart, not the first Realtek ALC892_LineOut selected (See image before and below restart). There is always a issue with F7 key?
screenshot0.thumb.png.71c0dfd1a83a2a2851e38a3aed8aa9b0.png
screenshot1.thumb.png.fae888f603b7d1cb97b4592382c9fff9.png

Yep, as you can see in my previous post, there seems to be an issue reading that setting once set. But it shouldn’t affect its functionality. And also, F7 doesn’t do anything for me either.

But is the sound playing if you select volume and Realtek option, then Return, then Restart? Cause that’s the most important part.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slice said:

Both possible.

Well, your Realtek codec is not different from many others and configs are good.

You have

First group

nid 20 0x01014010 as  1 seq  0 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Green   misc 0
 nid 21 0x01011012 as  1 seq  2 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Black   misc 0
 nid 22 0x01016011 as  1 seq  1 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Orange  misc 0
 nid 23 0x01012014 as  1 seq  4 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Grey    misc 0
There is first output Rear Green

Second group

nid 27 0x02214c20 as  2 seq  0 Headphones    Jack  1/8     Front   External Green   misc 6

It is headphone jack at Front Green

Third group

nid 30 0x01456130 as  3 seq  0 SPDIF-out     Jack  Optic   Rear    External Orange  misc 0 NoPresenceDetect

also you have HDMI output from Nvidia card.

Which one are you expected to use for startup sound?

I use this one: nid 20 0x01014010 as  1 seq  0 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Rear    External Green   misc 0. After restart, Clover don't keep startup sound output settings on my system, except volume level.

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yep, as you can see in my previous post, there seems to be an issue reading that setting once set. But it shouldn’t affect its functionality. And also, F7 doesn’t do anything for me either.

But is the sound playing if you select volume and Realtek option, then Return, then Restart? Cause that’s the most important part.

I select volume and Realtek option, then I restart: there is no sound because Realtek is deselected!!! Startup option sound selects automatically Nvidia HDMI :cry:

I select volume and Realtek option, then I restart: there is no sound because Realtek is deselected!!! Startup option sound selects automatically Nvidia HDMI default_cry.png 

Mat, the selection issue is a different issue. default_smile.png believe me. It shows HDMI as selected (first option in the list) for me, too, even after selecting Realtek. Still, the sound itself works properly. And it’s NOT coming from HDMI. 

So, the selection problem is just a visual issue. It shouldn’t affect the actual functionality.

What if you select the other options from the Realtek list? Does any of them work?

Again, not talking about being showed as selected in that menu. Most likely, they won’t be. Just if the actual sound is heard after selecting them and restarting.

12 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Mat, the selection issue is a different issue. default_smile.png believe me. It shows HDMI as selected (first option in the list) for me, too, even after selecting Realtek. Still, the sound itself works properly. And it’s NOT coming from HDMI. 

So, the selection problem is just a visual issue. It shouldn’t affect the actual functionality.

What if you select the other options from the Realtek list? Does any of them work?

Again, not talking about being showed as selected in that menu. Most likely, they won’t be. Just if the actual sound is heard after selecting them and restarting.

I believe you my friend :) the actual sound is not heard after selecting them and restarting. Strange.